Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ZearothK posted:

So, our crew is doing a horror marathon for Christmas and New Year's Eve, not a themed one however. I actually haven't watched Horror movies in a loooong time, so recommend me some good ones from the last ten years. I am down for anything that doesn't involve animal cruelty.

Define animal cruelty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

ZearothK posted:

So, our crew is doing a horror marathon for Christmas and New Year's Eve, not a themed one however. I actually haven't watched Horror movies in a loooong time, so recommend me some good ones from the last ten years. I am down for anything that doesn't involve animal cruelty.

Hereditary

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ZearothK posted:

August Underground Trilogy

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kvlt! posted:

Even the last one is more than 10 years old now, believe it or not

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The whininess and petulance of Jack Torrance is something that rings very true.

For sure. That eagerness to take offense so he has an opportunity to play victim and lash out especially

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Kvlt! posted:

Those aren't even horror - they're like if some aliens accidentally ended up getting a bootleg TCM vhs in the mail and tried to make a human film based exclusively on that slim slice of knowledge of human behavior.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

you just dont understand the avant-garde

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Speaking (?) of animal cruelty, I rewatched Predator last week and there was a bit that I stuck on that I had never caught before. Right after Jim Hopper's helicopter crash is discovered, there's a shot of someone kicking the absolute gently caress out of a real-life vulture. I have never seen anybody mention it though.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Fart City posted:

Speaking (?) of animal cruelty, I rewatched Predator last week and there was a bit that I stuck on that I had never caught before. Right after Jim Hopper's helicopter crash is discovered, there's a shot of someone kicking the absolute gently caress out of a real-life vulture. I have never seen anybody mention it though.

Probably because of the 'vultures are generally considered ugly so who cares about them' train of thought.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Windows 98 posted:

Can anyone cite any films that have someone choke another person out using their own intestines?

Would Dead Alive count?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Lurdiak posted:

Define animal cruelty.

One of the guests lost their dog last month, so no murdering pets.

Windows 98 posted:

Hereditary

Okay, this seems pretty good, and it's conveniently on Prime! It's going to be on the list.

Kvlt! posted:

I guess I don't understand the avant-garde.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

M_Sinistrari posted:

Probably because of the 'vultures are generally considered ugly so who cares about them' train of thought.

The term for the cute animals is "charismatic mega fauna".

Had fun watching the movie stream last night, thank you. I had never seen Krampus, and really enjoyed it. The sound and monster design were great.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

ZearothK posted:

One of the guests lost their dog last month, so no murdering pets

Okay, this seems pretty good, and it's conveniently on Prime! It's going to be on the list.

Um...

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Just a nice time with friends sitting around the ole yule log with some hot cider settling in to watch

*checks notes*

Cannibal Holocaust

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Just a nice time with friends sitting around the ole yule log with some hot cider settling in to watch

*checks notes*

Cannibal Holocaust

Man I wish I had friends like that

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Hollismason posted:

*checks notes*

Cannibal Holocaust

Glad to see the new thread living up to the standards of the old thread, where at one point I asked for help on behalf of my dialysis tech, a woman that stabs me for a living, wanting to find something that would scare her teenaged son, and I was suggested to tell her Martyrs.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Choco1980 posted:

Glad to see the new thread living up to the standards of the old thread, where at one point I asked for help on behalf of my dialysis tech, a woman that stabs me for a living, wanting to find something that would scare her teenaged son, and I was suggested to tell her Martyrs.

I mean, it would have scared him.

I mentioned it during the October challenge, but Martyrs's ability to withhold information from the audience so as to make every single moment as oppressive as possible for the viewer still impresses me.

The family is killed in the beginning before we realize that there is a strong motive for the revenge, and that it's not senseless. We are shown a monstrous woman attacking one of the characters before we know it's a vision/hallucination. etc..

I can't think of another horror film that takes advantage of story-telling and information so as to be most disturbing and horrific for the viewer. Any ideas?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hollismason posted:

*checks notes*

Cannibal Holocaust

Who's sitting on the yule log?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Why would you sit on a yule log its on fire.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

thatsthe(cannibalism)joke.jpg

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
It’s ok. The yule log is just balsa wood and a bicycle seat.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The stream last night was great. Watching Suspiria (the original) by the fireplace now. Good Christmas spirit.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Hollismason posted:

Why would you sit on a yule log its on fire.

Let's get a list going of movies that involve someone dying by fire...

...not just by flames but by being stuck in an actual furnace/oven/fireplace etc. mechanism meant to heat things:

Absurd (the second babysitter, she escapes and survives a little longer but doesn't last long)

Kingdom of Heaven (Not a horror movie but Orlando Bloom loses it and murders his hypocrite priest brother in an ultra metal/horror-esque way by grabbing a still molten sword he was just forging with his bare hand and stabbing him with it, pinning him to the coals of a forge and setting him alight, then pulling his about to die body back out as he reaches into the flames and rips the guy's stolen-from-his-just-committed-suicide-wife's gold cross off his neck, pulling the guy's entire body out to flail around for a few seconds before keeling over :black101: )

Nightmare on Elm Street series

Saw II

Sweeney Todd

Hilariously, the film Stuff Stephanie in the Incinerator specifically does not feature someone being stuffed into an incinerator and, IIRC, doesn't even have an incinerator anywhere in it despite the name. :3:

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 23, 2018

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I feel like I’ve seen at least a handful of slashers in which the villain is defeated by being set on fire (then usually running out of a window) but I can’t think of names of the top of my head.

Maybe The Burning? :classiclol:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Friday the 13th part 7 has that long burning scene which for the longest was the record for sustained on screen burn.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Tolkien minority posted:

I feel like I’ve seen at least a handful of slashers in which the villain is defeated by being set on fire (then usually running out of a window)

One of my favorite of these is Maniac Cop 2 because there's a brief on fire rampage leading up to it and it all rests on a burnt out drunk hobo learning the meaning of friendship.

But what about ones where the cause isn't just that the person is lit up but that it's from being in an actual oven/furnace/etc.?

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 23, 2018

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It drives me loving crazy that Amazon Prime has all these lovely movies that I wanna watch but they're in 4:3. Like Maniac Cop 2. WHyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hollismason posted:

It drives me loving crazy that Amazon Prime has all these lovely movies that I wanna watch but they're in 4:3. Like Maniac Cop 2. WHyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Maniac Cop series had a weird release history, 2 got an infamously great laser-disc release and but only officially existed on DVD in 4:3 until relatively recently (like 3/4 years ago?). So eventually that one will be on streaming stuff somewhere. - William Lustig himself did a straight up 4K restoration blu-ray of it and it's legit one of the best "THIS IS THE MOST DEFINITIVE RELEASE EVER OF THIS MOVIE"s ever made. It's was better looking than any version I've ever seen and even has 7.1 audio if you have the speakers for it ( I know I never will but that fuckin' owns)!

I was talking about this a bit earlier in the thread but I was noticing some bizarre subtitle/dub discrepincies on some recently added flicks on Prime which makes me think they're using a ton of French and German DVD versions (that included English subtitles at the time) for some of their most recent batches of stuff. In Maniac Cop 2's case a French DVD was the only official way to get it on disk for a long time, so I bet that's what they have.

Maniac Cop 2 absolutely fuckin' rules - and the original is great too! - both are the absolute polar opposite of "lovely movies" (the caliber of the squibs and stunts alone in MC2 make it worth watching let alone the snappy script) so definitely make an effort to see them however you can.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 23, 2018

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Hollismason posted:

excuse me,, but maniac cop 2 is NOT a lovely movie :colbert:

(i know what you mean though, a lot of stuff on amazon prime are really awful quality)

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
prime DOES have Tokyo Videos of Horror 1-15 though which i think unironically own

but it also my very specific niche of japanese found footage with a budget of pocket change

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Maniac Cop series had a weird release history, 2 got an infamously great laser-disc release and but only officially existed on DVD in 4:3 until relatively recently (like 3/4 years ago?). So eventually that one will be on streaming stuff somewhere. - William Lustig himself did a straight up 4K restoration blu-ray of it and it's legit one of the best "THIS IS THE MOST DEFINITIVE RELEASE EVER OF THIS MOVIE"s ever made. It's was better looking than any version I've ever seen and even has 7.1 audio if you have the speakers for it ( I know I never will but that fuckin' owns)!

I was talking about this a bit earlier in the thread but I was noticing some bizarre subtitle/dub discrepincies on some recently added flicks on Prime which makes me think they're using a ton of French and German DVD versions (that included English subtitles at the time) for some of their most recent batches of stuff. In Maniac Cop 2's case a French DVD was the only official way to get it on disk for a long time, so I bet that's what they have.

Maniac Cop 2 absolutely fuckin' rules - and the original is great too! - both are the absolute polar opposite of "lovely movies" (the caliber of the squibs and stunts alone in MC2 make it worth watching let alone the snappy script) so definitely make an effort to see them however you can.

I've seen all the Maniac Cops. I just get agravated with 4:3.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Tolkien minority posted:

excuse me,, but maniac cop 2 is NOT a lovely movie :colbert:

(i know what you mean though, a lot of stuff on amazon prime are really awful quality)

I watched Cat o'nine Tails a while back on Amazon and it was super lovely DVD quality and the image was crooked. It was tilted by like 10°. What the gently caress.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Hollismason posted:

The version of Messiah of Evil they were using on Prime was so washed out and awful that I just bought a copy. I'm glad I knew what it should look like instead of having that be my first experience of the movie.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Messiah of Evil is gooder than hell.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hollismason posted:

*checks notes*

Cannibal Holocaust
Your friends own

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

its me im hollismasons best friend

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I see it getting recommended on Shudder often now so this is a good time to let the thread know to check out Death Line if you haven't yet.

An early 70s movie starring Donald Pleasence as a terse force-of-nature-level-rear end in a top hat Scotland Yard inspector trying to figure out what's going on with folks disappearing or/and getting mutilated between train lines. Notable that this is a flick that when released in the US had to have a bit of the shots of corpses and such cut out to not get an X rating!

AIG released this in the US with the title Raw Meat back in the day but Shudder as a definitive streaming version of it as Death Line. It's short enough to not overstay its welcome, and involves subway cannibals and some gnarly makeup/etc. at times. Christopher Lee pops up in it too! :3: The way that spoilered element is introduced is amazing, a straight five minutes of no dialogue, just slow panning through the back end of the subway culminating with at the end with loud screams as the camera pulls up to a pile of refuge that as it gets closer you can see has various human remains in it. I loving love that scene.

Guillermo Del Toro fans would get a kick out of it, he's said this is among his favorite films ever and it's easy to see how it's influenced him.

Anyway it's a great movie so check it out if you have access to Shudder.

Per recent concerns in the thread - the transfer on Shudder looks and sounds great so no issues there.

This is bad quality YouTube clip but the movie has the heaviest opening titles, they own:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNkDrFdFylY

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 23, 2018

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Neo Rasa posted:

I see it getting recommended on Shudder often now so this is a good time to let the thread know to check out Death Line if you haven't yet.

An early 70s movie starring Donald Pleasence as a terse force-of-nature-level-rear end in a top hat Scotland Yard inspector trying to figure out what's going on with folks disappearing or/and getting mutilated between train lines. Notable that this is a flick that when released in the US had to have a bit of the shots of corpses and such cut out to not get an X rating!

AIG released this in the US with the title Raw Meat back in the day but Shudder as a definitive streaming version of it as Death Line. It's short enough to not overstay its welcome, and involves subway cannibals and some gnarly makeup/etc. at times. Christopher Lee pops up in it too briefly. :3: The way that spoilered element is introduced is amazing, a straight five minutes of no dialogue, just slow panning through the back end of the subway culminating with at the end with loud screams as the camera pulls up to a pile of refuge that as it gets closer you can see has various human remains in it. I loving love that scene.

Guillermo Del Toro would get a kick out of it, he's said this is among his favorite films ever and it's easy to see how it's influenced him.

Anyway it's a great movie so check it out if you have access to Shudder.

Per recent concerns in the thread - the transfer on Shudder looks and sounds great so no issues there.

This is bad quality YouTube clip but the movie has the heaviest opening titles, they own:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNkDrFdFylY

Hell yes. This sounds great, thanks for the heads up.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah I been meaning to watch Raw Meat or Death Line. Disappointing though that Pleasance and Lee are not in the same scene together as apparently I forget which took the role solely because the other was in it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Yeah I been meaning to watch Raw Meat or Death Line. Disappointing though that Pleasance and Lee are not in the same scene together as apparently I forget which took the role solely because the other was in it.

Incredibly they share a scene despite this and, while it's obvious as they're never on screen at the same time, they manage to somehow have great chemistry and clearly think very little of each other. But I like how as Lee annoys him more, as it goes back and forth between them each time it's a little more zoomed in on Lee and a little pulled back on Pleasence, they did a good job letting the camera do the lifting when they couldn't be present together. They even use a double briefly towards the end as they walk out. :3:

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Windows 98 posted:

Hereditary

ZearothK posted:

One of the guests lost their dog last month, so no murdering pets.

*pulls shirt collar and sweats profusely*