Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

You get the cards when you acquire a new pack, so all you have to do is smoke a single cigarette then buy/find another pack to get another card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

I hosed up. I hosed up real bad.

I bought a shotgun and then bought some ammo for it. I already had some ammo though so now my shotgun ammo is full so I can’t get the rest of the ammo from the mail or my camp and the shotgun is behind it I’m guessing? Why did they make it so you can only collect one item like this?

edit: turns out I’m an idiot and it was just on my horse

Necros fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Dec 22, 2018

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Some pubs didn't like me surviving an assasination mission so they took it upon themselves to have a rolling gunfight through the bayou. Which is fun, ok sure. Then their pals joined up and it's nothing but diving with varmint rifles. That lost its flavor pretty quick so let's just server hop.

Oh. They followed me.

Five more times afterwards.

Sure hope we get those invite lobbies soon.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So I finished chapter seven and not gonna lie, the horse dying got me, and so did realizing that John's hat from rdr is Arthur's, and that's why he's conspicuously not worn a hat the entire game up till that point

I really liked Arthur's story, even if it is one of failure and destruction and trying to salvage whatever you can from the remains

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

In online if you delete your character and start over do you keep all the clothes and weapons you bought? I have a friend asking me; I know you keep money and gold.

tmm3k
Jul 19, 2006

Hihohe posted:

Im still up for Red Dead Down Under.

Red Deadgeri Roo

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

In online if you delete your character and start over do you keep all the clothes and weapons you bought? I have a friend asking me; I know you keep money and gold.

I googled this earlier today and determined that no you don't keep bought weapons. If they were a pre-order or bonus tho you do.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Red Dead 3 in central Australia

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
I’m trying to kill 100 different animals and it’s really hard to remember what I’ve already killed, and I’m only at 73. I may need to make a checklist.

shadok fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Dec 22, 2018

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

red dead redemption 3 will need to be set in tahiti.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

shadok posted:

All the saloon piano players are currently playing Christmas carols.

Hehe this is a neat touch

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

shadok posted:

All the saloon piano players are currently playing Christmas carols.

Is this online, single player or both? (I'm way up in the Grizzlies at the moment so can't check)

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

clockworx posted:

Is this online, single player or both? (I'm way up in the Grizzlies at the moment so can't check)

I think it’s online only. Arthur is currently chilling in the Rhodes saloon in story mode and it’s just the usual music.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Finally finished the epilogues.
Kinda bummed that the game switched John back to his stupid cowboy outfit for the final cutscene. I spent quite some time picking out my perfect mountains-revenge outfit. Oh well.
Also lol that I suddenly have 20k. No idea what to spend that on.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

shut up blegum posted:

Finally finished the epilogues.
Kinda bummed that the game switched John back to his stupid cowboy outfit for the final cutscene. I spent quite some time picking out my perfect mountains-revenge outfit. Oh well.
Also lol that I suddenly have 20k. No idea what to spend that on.

All the clothes and bounties. Obviously.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

So I finished chapter seven and not gonna lie, the horse dying got me, and so did realizing that John's hat from rdr is Arthur's, and that's why he's conspicuously not worn a hat the entire game up till that point

I really liked Arthur's story, even if it is one of failure and destruction and trying to salvage whatever you can from the remains

They're different hats I'm afraid.

RDR2 in of itself is pretty amazing. I think it is the first game that genuinely achieves being what I would consider art. The story of redemption doesn't feel forced, it has good subtle moments where tons is communicated with little said (Arthur merely looking at John while riding with the gang shortly after deciding his "good act" will be getting John and his family the gently caress out).

None of the interacts feel forced and you learn to like, or hate, the characters based on how they behave rather than them opening up about some huge backstory out of the gate. Lenny loving rules because you get blasted with him. It's only afterwards you find out his backstory. So you give a poo poo before the game tries to force you to give a poo poo.

That said having played RDR1 it does kind of sour the experience a bit as Arthur isn't mentioned once in any way. Even just a sentence of "Do you still about him?" "Who Arthur? All the time." and just leaving it like that. John's hat is different than Arthur's as well, so that isn't even a nod. You can select Arthur or John's hat. It just seems clear they had Dutch planned out pretty well as a concept for RDR1 but Arthur wasn't even in the game plan.

I don't want to rag on the game. RDR2 has set a new standard for story quality for me. It's like the first time you played Metal Gear Solid and it's like a movie or the first time I played Mass Effect with all the branching stories and dialog. For sure RDR2 doesn't have branching stories but the story it does tell actually succeeds. When Arthur makes his final stand for John you feel feelings, you're proud for him as a character.

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 22, 2018

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

doctor 7 posted:

They're different hats I'm afraid.

RDR2 in of itself is pretty amazing. I think it is the first game that genuinely achieves being what I would consider art. The story of redemption doesn't feel forced, it has good subtle moments where tons is communicated with little said (Arthur merely looking at John while riding with the gang shortly after deciding his "good act" will be getting John and his family the gently caress out).

None of the interacts feel forced and you learn to like, or hate, the characters based on how they behave rather than them opening up about some huge backstory out of the gate. Lenny loving rules because you get blasted with him. It's only afterwards you find out his backstory. So you give a poo poo before the game tries to force you to give a poo poo.

agree with all this

This was the first story/choice game where my RP playstyle actually felt like I was the one giving my character an arc. When Arthur gets diagnosed I found myself organically wanting to play a kinder, gentler character then I had been, particularly as I progressed the Charlotte and Hamish stories.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I finally hit 21 and got a thoroughbred. I like the paints and Appaloosas more but the stats are worse. If r* wanted to make bank they would implement a skin system for horses.

And also let you buy horses with gold before the insane level requirements.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Found Heaven's Gate cult. creepy music too.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I stood on a road looking directly at my horse, desperately whistling over and over, and it just stared at me until the mission failed

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

When Arthur gets diagnosed I found myself organically wanting to play a kinder, gentler character then I had been, particularly as I progressed the Charlotte and Hamish stories.

:same:

I even thought it was my fault, because I had up until that point smoked cigarettes all the goddamn time. Anytime I found a pack, smoked em. During a gun fight, I would take cover and smoke em. Start of a mission, smoked em. After a mission, smoked em. :clint:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

So this could possibly be an elaborate fake, but folks are posting videos of a glitch that give them voicelines as Jack. Make of it what you will.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

AndyElusive posted:

:same:

I even thought it was my fault, because I had up until that point smoked cigarettes all the goddamn time. Anytime I found a pack, smoked em. During a gun fight, I would take cover and smoke em. Start of a mission, smoked em. After a mission, smoked em. :clint:

Have you ever played Vanquish? It has a 'smoking in cover during a gunfight' mechanic you might enjoy.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Mr Hootington posted:

Found Heaven's Gate cult. creepy music too.

Stay there at night

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

UnknownMercenary posted:

So this could possibly be an elaborate fake, but folks are posting videos of a glitch that give them voicelines as Jack. Make of it what you will.

doesn’t seem to be, none of those lines are in RDR1 and the recording quality is way better

wonder if they actually are working on a RDR1 remaster DLC

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Maybe they aren't working on anything and they programmed the "glitch" in intentionally with an extremely small of triggering to drive people crazy trying to figure out what it means.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Maybe they aren't working on anything and they programmed the "glitch" in intentionally with an extremely small of triggering to drive people crazy trying to figure out what it means.

rockstar did 9/11

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Mandrel posted:

rockstar did 9/11
pomade can't melt steel beams

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
RDR1 remake dlc :pray:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Goddamn, I know I'll lose tons of progress if I start over on an earlier save but this post game stuff is kinda bullshit cause (big spoiler, don't read if you haven't beaten the game)John can't loving swim worth a drat, and I know it's cause of the first game but still, man it sucks. Also loved how he spent time writing letters to his girl who can't read. :haw:

Plus I kinda wanna see how Arthur draws some of the more insane poo poo I've found like the meteorite.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Goddamn, I know I'll lose tons of progress if I start over on an earlier save but this post game stuff is kinda bullshit cause (big spoiler, don't read if you haven't beaten the game)John can't loving swim worth a drat, and I know it's cause of the first game but still, man it sucks.

You probably know the partial solution to that problem, but just in case, because it took me way too many hours to realize: horses can swim in this one.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Finished it the other day (not the epilogue yet) and the whole endgame sequence is great but those two moments are 100% what got me.

Despite being flawed and compromised in many ways, it's one of only two video game stories which have ever actually made me feel something, and the other one was Telltale's Walking Dead (the first two seasons, anyway). I don't think that's a coincidence: both are games which strongly encourage you (subtly and not-so-subtly) to roleplay, in which you're controlling a well-defined character while still having a good degree of autonomy over how that character is going to act. When serious story beats start happening, you play as you think that character would react, and it doesn't feel like an obligation to do so. It feels like the natural reaction. I 100% agree with the many people who say that after (story event spoiler) the TB diagnosis they started playing Arthur as a much more moral character. That feels like what Arthur would do. That feels like the more interesting story to tell.

And it's a measure of success that so many players in this game feel compelled to steer in that direction, rather than feeling that avoiding crime and trying to be a decent man is boring. I've seen so many critical reviews about how it's still a Rockstar game and they have to force you to not be able to shoot people in camp etc because it's still fundamentally a let-rip violence simulator and they can't trust the players - and there is some truth to that! - but whatever, man, for me it was a really loving amazing experience in which I was more then happy to let the game nudge me down the appropriate path. I don't really care what the 16-year-olds who are now griefing in Red Dead Online are doing, or what they thought about the story. I never once had the kind of rampage that I would have had in a non-mission bit of gameplay in GTA, and I am more than happy with that. The storyline has flaws, issues and mistakes up to and including stuff where a non-video-game-developer like me feels entitled to lecture "you should have done this instead," but it still massively succeeds in spite of that.

Either that or I'm still processing the ending. For now, I can say that as someone who found RDR1 pretty and fine, but story-wise and gameplay-wise basically boring and pointless, RDR2 is definitely up there with my greatest video game experiences of all time, and definitely one of the best video game story experiences of all time.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

How are so many people not realizing they are two totally different hats? They're not at all similar besides being black. Jack wears his dad's hat in RDR1 though.

edit:
Also, double tapping L1 to spin your handgun into the holster is my new favorite thing.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 23, 2018

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Solice Kirsk posted:

Also, double tapping L1 to spin your handgun into the holster is my new favorite thing.

The worst part of Chapter 6 was Arthur getting too sick to spin his handgun :(

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

What the gently caress how have I never known this was a thing?!

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

AndyElusive posted:

What the gently caress how have I never known this was a thing?!

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Solice Kirsk posted:

How are so many people not realizing they are two totally different hats? They're not at all similar besides being black. Jack wears his dad's hat in RDR1 though.

edit:

:staredog:

I need to do this ALL the time now

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

shadok posted:

I’m trying to kill 100 different animals and it’s really hard to remember what I’ve already killed, and I’m only at 73. I may need to make a checklist.

here you go

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I like how a lot of people are trying to argue "It makes no sense for them to leave it in the game" like they forgot about Rockstar leaving a whole sex mini game inside SA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Solice Kirsk posted:

What the gently caress, how did you learn this? I never knew you could do that.