Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

When i got bored enough to look at the reddit thread about it some of the answers to questions were "yeah im a girl so what kill yourself" which had nothing to do with the question being asked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I’m doing a second run of the game, and after going max firepower on my first, I’ve discovered that jumpjets break the game in half.

Hanging around a mountain and facing only one or two enemies, while jumping around like kids on a sugar high is fun as hell.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
"hey I found this bug, here's the save file/logs"

"THESE LOGS ARE USELESS TO ME"

OK boss

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
You can go a long way in this game by a) concentrating your fire on 1 guy at a time, b) pulling a mech out of the line of fire if the bad guys are doing a) to you, and c) :woop: JUMP AROUND :woop:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Also, abusing sensor lock to murder a single unit before they see you. Or using sensor lock to take turrets out on base destroy missions, which lets you skip the reinforcements entirely.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Nasgate posted:

Also, abusing sensor lock to murder a single unit before they see you. Or using sensor lock to take turrets out on base destroy missions, which lets you skip the reinforcements entirely.

How does that work? Reinforcements only spawn if a turret detects you?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I think it has to do with proximity to the base. I've noticed missions where if you can kite the base garrison away. Reinforcements didn't drop till you got closer

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

How does that work? Reinforcements only spawn if a turret detects you?

I think it's just if you get close enough to the base, reinforcements spawn. But if you use sensor lock, you don't have to get too close to take all the turrets out. And ime, you can destroy enough buildings before you get within the proximity. This ends the mission because there's no more opfor.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Why should I use autocannons? Why bother with it? And what size should I actually use if any?

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Mr.Tophat posted:

Why should I use autocannons? Why bother with it? And what size should I actually use if any?

AC20s on a pilot with called shot mastery put big holes wherever you want them (including heads even if the opponent is in cover) - they are the only ones truly worth using. AC10s with +damage can also serve as headcappers if you don't have the space for a 20, but they're distinctly inferior. If you don't have the hardpoints for anything else a 5 isn't terrible, but missiles are always better and lasers usually are. 2s are worthless garbage and should never be used.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Mr.Tophat posted:

AC20 are good but need both the mech and pilot designed around them for maximum effectiveness, ie Breaching Shot letting you bypass Cover+Bulwark, meaning you have comparable DPR to the standard SRM+MLas short range loadouts.

AC5 are solid, but lasers and missiles are superior, so you pick them when you have nothing better to do, ie all you have are energy and ballistic hardpoints, so you fill up on medium lasers then decide whether to turn some into LLs or take an AC5.

AC2 and AC10 are poo poo.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Roguetech is quite fun, though it's insanely heavy wrt load times/etc and the team is hilariously bad at dealing with human beings.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Mr.Tophat posted:

You can safely skip autocannons until you can build an Orion or any Assault Mech to mount AC20's because they deal 100 damage per shot and the + variants are even stronger.

AC5's are decent but you're better off just using large lasers and heatsinks. AC2's and AC10's don't inflict enough damage to justify their tonnage and are bad.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

The HBK-4G is the best AC20 delivery platform because it doesn't sacrifice any firepower by using Breaching Shot.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Neither does the king crab, because you're getting to breach two different enemies.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Somehow managed to salvage a Cyclops-10z before the Smithon priority mission thanks to a lucky assassination mission.

Ended up with four medium lasers, an AC20++, and maxed out armor. Meanwhile, my opposition maxes out at 65 tons.

That battle computer is ridiculous with a majority heavy lance.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
by the by if you're having trouble with Roguetech in terms of hitting mechs with lots of evasion try to prioritize pulse lasers in salvage

LPLs in roguetech do three pulses of 25 damage each with inherent accuracy bonuses and they just tear lights apart

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

And Tyler Too! posted:

You can safely skip autocannons until you can build an Orion or any Assault Mech to mount AC20's because they deal 100 damage per shot and the + variants are even stronger.

AC5's are decent but you're better off just using large lasers and heatsinks. AC2's and AC10's don't inflict enough damage to justify their tonnage and are bad.

I mean, it does depend a little bit on what you want to do. If you just want a direct-damage weapon for aimed shots, you either pay the tonnage for the AC/20 or you do a LL, yeah. (Or you need to find some Gauss.) AC/20s in particular are nice for being a one-shot headcap, and somehow hitting a mech in the dome with one is even more satisfying than it is on tabletop.

If you're building a knockdown platform, though, the AC/5+++ in particular is really, really useful. It's very close in utility to an LRM-15 at that point; weighs more, but less heat. It's not a replacement for an LRM, but it's a good complementary piece.

Example for both categories: I've managed to collect 2 KGCs in my current Career Mode run. One I have as 2 AC/20+++ and an SRM-6++ right now, with JJs, and it shreds stuff once it gets into position. It does take some work to position sometimes, but it's usually worth it, especially with maxed tactics for aiming at the head. My other KGC I made into an LRM boat, but I had way too much tonnage left even after running out of critical slots in the torso that has all the missile hardpoints. So it ended up being 50 LRMs and an AC/5+++, which really helps do extra knockdown.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Jabor posted:

Neither does the king crab, because you're getting to breach two different enemies.

Problem there is that delivering 120 damage to two different enemies generally isn't as good as delivering 240+ to a single enemy.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Mr.Tophat posted:

AC20s and AC5s are great.

You use AC20s because they put a big hole in one location and work well with breaching shot. They're also a 1 in 5 chance of instant mech death with a precision shot on a pilot with tactics 9. AC20s with +20 damage are amazing and will still be a one shot kill with a headshot even if the target is in cover with bulwark. The AC20+++ with +20 damage and +20 stability is one of the best weapons in the game.

AC5s have just good damage/weight statistics and range. They also punch larger holes at range than LRMs and are far more heat/weight efficient than PPCs.

AC10s are situational good, but an AC20 or AC5 will usually be better. AC10s with +5 or +10 damage are legit good as they are now headshot weapons with a much longer range than AC20s.

Every iteration of the AC2 is pure garbage.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

And Tyler Too! posted:

The AC5, LL, 2xML Enforcer is a solid FS mech in the medium mech phase.

An AC20, 2xML medium (CN9, HBK, or ENF) is a solid infighter (either on a pilot with tac 7+ or breaching shot) in the medium mech phase as well.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
I feel like AC/5s would be exceptional if you had a mech capable of mounting five or six of them, and AC/10s would be beastly in fours like with the Annihilator because you're throwing a lot of damage downrange and can stand back on a hill or something

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Amechwarrior posted:

So if you like mods but hate how they get abandoned, forked and renamed 6 months later, we're working on it.

https://github.com/BattletechModders

The modders on the various discords have made an organization to host our mods, allowing teams to be assigned and projects kept up to date if the original author departs without forking. We're still getting everything setup and migrated but if anyone uses these mods this is where they will be found from now on.

BetterAI - I forked from the one hosted by mpstark as I didn't have GH yet. This will be my main distro from now on.
BT-RTVersion
cFixes -
We're fixing HBS's typos, should launch tomorrow.
CommanderPortraitLoader
InternalHeaters
MechEngineer
MechResizer
MercDeployments
PanicSystem -
On its 3rd or 4th fork due to authors going dark.
Pilot_Quirks
- This one might not be the original, this is a fork and the original author is still active. Not sure if he's gotten the news about the org yet.
QuickCam
RandomCampaignStart
WarTech

Just wanted to bring this up again.

I noticed you made some changes 10 days ago. ETA on 1.4? How's it working in its current form?

Also, have you been using Panic System? Does it work as expected in flashpoint? I've been running a stock/no mods campaign first, and will switch to mods when its done.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

So after cleaning out some contracts on Brigdam I popped over to Mechdur to check the black market, and on arrival I got an...interesting event, that I'm kind of hoping there's a follow-up to. Anyone else seen this one and know what happens if you pick any of the options that I didn't?

You get a message about hiring a specific recruit as a favor for a "friend of a friend". One of the options is to do a background check, which I chose to do. That reveals that the "friend of a friend" is none other than Justin Allard, who doesn't explain what his angle is, but does explain the recruit is green, but he was back in the day too. The pilot is Squire, one of the Ronin pilots, who kind of sucks to start, but because I have maxed training modules and because I don't want to get murdered by DMI/MIIO, I decided to humor Allard and hire the guy.

It's nice to see HBS doing more with events, and I hope they keep adding stuff like this in updates/DLCs. It adds a lot of flavor for what I assume isn't nearly as much work as adding new maps or mechs.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Fraction Jackson posted:

So after cleaning out some contracts on Brigdam I popped over to Mechdur to check the black market, and on arrival I got an...interesting event, that I'm kind of hoping there's a follow-up to. Anyone else seen this one and know what happens if you pick any of the options that I didn't?

You get a message about hiring a specific recruit as a favor for a "friend of a friend". One of the options is to do a background check, which I chose to do. That reveals that the "friend of a friend" is none other than Justin Allard, who doesn't explain what his angle is, but does explain the recruit is green, but he was back in the day too. The pilot is Squire, one of the Ronin pilots, who kind of sucks to start, but because I have maxed training modules and because I don't want to get murdered by DMI/MIIO, I decided to humor Allard and hire the guy.

It's nice to see HBS doing more with events, and I hope they keep adding stuff like this in updates/DLCs. It adds a lot of flavor for what I assume isn't nearly as much work as adding new maps or mechs.

I just had a pretty :smith: bit of emergent storytelling with an event.

One of my pilots got a breakup letter and ended up with Low Spirits. Next mission out, an unlucky missile barrage killed her. I...kind of want to reload. I feel way too guilty about this.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 24, 2018

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

PunkBoy posted:

I just had a pretty :smith: bit of emergent storytelling with an event.

One of my pilots got a breakup letter and ended up with Low Spirits. Next mission out, an unlucky missile barrage killed her. I...kind of want to reload. I feel way too guilty about this.

Her ex was the guy launching the missiles.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Played Roguetech all day between work expecting it to be bad but instead it's actually quite good. It needs about 3500 man years of polish, but boy it's shooting at the mark of a play forever battletech sandbox and not missing toooo hard.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I feel gyped. I did a 3 skull battle mission, choosing max loot. The opponents were a thunderbolt, a jenner/cicada (not sure which, it died instantly anyway), and a tank that couldn't get over the hill that was in between us.

I tried to at least head shot the thunderbolt, but I got an unlucky miss with my ac20 and cored it.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I feel like I may have wasted a spot on my Mech Commander by taking Sensor Lock. It feels like more of a support skill to put on your scout pilots to set up your missile volleys. My mech commander tends to be more of a front-line gunner. But I'm only a day into playing. Is there a benefit to having your main mech equipped with sensor lock or do I just accept that as a lost slot?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Memnaelar posted:

I feel like I may have wasted a spot on my Mech Commander by taking Sensor Lock. It feels like more of a support skill to put on your scout pilots to set up your missile volleys. My mech commander tends to be more of a front-line gunner. But I'm only a day into playing. Is there a benefit to having your main mech equipped with sensor lock or do I just accept that as a lost slot?

Sensor lock is situational but useful. It's by no means a wasted pick because it's a prerequisite for master tactician which is one of the best perks and is always helpful.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Memnaelar posted:

You pick it on your way to Master Tactician.

If you already took another Tier 2 skill though, yeah you dun goofed.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Conspiratiorist posted:

You pick it on your way to Master Tactician.

If you already took another Tier 2 skill though, yeah you dun goofed.

MT is what I'm thinking all right. Just wasn't sure if I wanted it over the Master Gunnery talent. Seems that that syncs pretty nicely with multi-targeting. Feels strange to use sensor lock to strip 2 evasion from one target with no damage potential, when I can fire guns while stripping up to 3 evasion from separate targets. But I guess it could be useful situationally...

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Master Tactician goes with Bulwark btw.

Conspiratiorist posted:

The good combos atm:

Guts 1 / Tactics 2 (general use)
Guts 2 / Pilot 1 (brawlers and skirmishers)
Guts 1 / Gunnery 2 (AC20 mediums and Heavy+ LRM builds only)

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Memnaelar posted:

MT is what I'm thinking all right. Just wasn't sure if I wanted it over the Master Gunnery talent. Seems that that syncs pretty nicely with multi-targeting. Feels strange to use sensor lock to strip 2 evasion from one target with no damage potential, when I can fire guns while stripping up to 3 evasion from separate targets. But I guess it could be useful situationally...

The evasion loss from sensor lock isn't really the point, it would be just as useful without it, more or less. Sensor lock is best used to let your whole lance see a target that's out of visual range so you can drop 100 or so LRMs on it. In a way, sensor lock is really a defensive ability, in that it lets you engage in situations where your opponent can't fire back. Good times to use sensor lock include:

- any time you see a turret;
- any time you see a 60 or 80 ton vehicle;
- on the first couple turns after first getting a sensor contact, so you can get in damage/knockdowns before they can even shoot you;
- any time you have a direct-fire mech that's out of position or can't quite get in range yet.

The peace of mind that comes with "I will never accidentally blunder into range of an SRM carrier" is worth something.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Don't forget it's also an alternative to bracing/sprinting when cooling off.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Fraction Jackson posted:

The peace of mind that comes with "I will never accidentally blunder into range of an SRM carrier" is worth something.

Oh my god yes. The first time I found out that some vehicles load up with 60 or so SRMs was a really bad mission.

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
I am playing the campaign on stingy salvage and I am having a hell of a time finding medium lasers. Whenever I find them in the store I buy them all. Doesn't help that my laser hunchback had the side torso blow up and I lost six of them.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Same but with Flamers. I've got a Firestarter that I try to use, but every time I take it out I end up losing 2-3 flamers, and then I can only ever find (if I'm lucky) 1 Flamer in the store, and then find dick all in other systems.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Memnaelar posted:

My sensor lock pilots are always in heavily armored lowlanders. If i cant jump close enough to whack it with my ac20+srm24 giggle stick then the pilot is locking the most heavily armed thing it sees to degrade their targetting or to say gently caress you to that stalker sotting there just out of visual range

Stravag fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I'm having trouble getting started in career mode. Any tips?