Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Hydroboost rules. I have it in my dump truck and that thing stops. Nice work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Skrrrrrrt

New tires, got the front driveshaft bolted back up(local driveline shop measured and said it should be fine), gave her a quick 4wd spinny spin in the parking lot with no problems to speak of. Gonna go fart around on some nearby trails in the morning.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

shy boy from chess club posted:

Hydroboost rules. I have it in my dump truck and that thing stops. Nice work.

Agreed. It has saved its rear end once already with crazy inattentive bay area drivers.

New windshield. The old one was cracked in a couple places and media blasted from sitting in a field.

Rerouted the hydroboost unit return line.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 13, 2018

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Sometime in August I was doing routine fluid checks and pulled this off the rearends magnet:

haha. cool. Another short snout 10.25 eats its lunch. Prior to 93' the 10.25s had a shorter pinion resulting in the nut backing off and destroying the rearend, I've had non-stop hassle with this one until I put a nord-lock on it which solved the problem. Cue last week, I slide under to check the magnet again and realize that the pinion is yet again, loving loose. Ugh, fine. Drop the driveshaft which also lets me grease the pita diff end joint and torque the nut back down.. well now the pinion is too tight. Really tight. :ohdear: I was too busy to gently caress with it so I ordered a full bearing kit and ignored the truck. Had some free time later on so I pull the cover...

Holy oh poo poo the pinion has definitely went on a picnic with the carrier. I'm not sure if this had happened under my ownership or the PO's.
Carrier bearings are Ok, The pinion bearing I can see looks okay.. so what gives?
In 2016 I took a Ford 9" crush sleeve eliminator and machined it to fit the 10.25. something caused the end of the CSE to get slightly munged changing the preload on the pinion.
The yoke end bearing looked ok as well, added a shim to the CSE and it's back in spec.

Be glad you can't smell this fluid. It's two years old and :barf:. cleaned out the housing and filled it with fresh. I love being able to work on this piece of poo poo without resorting to laying on my back.

dropped a new throttle cable in too cause the old one's holddown broke.

The slipyoke on the transfer case is all lovely again and pissing me off, as is the lovely bed.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

cursedshitbox posted:

Be glad you can't smell this fluid. It's two years old and :barf:. cleaned out the housing and filled it with fresh. I love being able to work on this piece of poo poo without resorting to laying on my back.

This would be amazing. I didn't realize it had that much ground clearance.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

Welcome to CSB's, home of the CursedShitBox, would you like to try a rear end meal?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

CommieGIR posted:

Welcome to CSB's, home of the CursedShitBox, would you like to try a rear end meal?

I'll have the tossed salad

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Hey CSB, in any of your posts here did you do anything with the ignition? I got home last night, turned the key off, and the truck kept running. I thought it was maybe the lock cylinder but I replaced that and the key still spins freely between Accessory and On. Wait To Start doesn't come on, and there's no spring resistance when you go to On, and the starter doesn't turn over.

edit: after some research my suspicion is it's a broken ignition actuator. I am not looking forward to tearing my whole steering wheel apart.

Admiral Bosch fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 9, 2018

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Dagen H posted:

I'll have the tossed salad

And scrambled eggs?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

You Am I posted:

And scrambled eggs?

I don't know what to do with them

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Admiral Bosch posted:

Hey CSB, in any of your posts here did you do anything with the ignition? I got home last night, turned the key off, and the truck kept running. I thought it was maybe the lock cylinder but I replaced that and the key still spins freely between Accessory and On. Wait To Start doesn't come on, and there's no spring resistance when you go to On, and the starter doesn't turn over.

edit: after some research my suspicion is it's a broken ignition actuator. I am not looking forward to tearing my whole steering wheel apart.

find a non tilt column and swap the whole thing.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 10, 2018

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

NumbersMatching320 posted:

find a non tilt column and swap the whole thing.

I have a non-tilt column

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
ez pz. pull the wheel and the turn signal switch, you'll be able to get into the column deep enough to replace it. it's not too hard, leave a few threads on the wheel's nut, rock the wheel back and forth, pull it with vigor. turn signal stalk simply unscrews and the switch itself is held in with a few phillips screws. If you release the clip that holds the turn signal switch connector from the column you can pull the switch out far enough to work in the column without it being in the way. The ignition lock has a release pin and will pop out with the key in it and turned to ign.

Till then you can easily move the ignition switch itself to get it to run if you need it to. I greased the linkages back in 2016 when the column was swapped out, the switch itself is original to the truck iirc.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Goddamn, Ford really didn't change poo poo over the years did they?

My 1980 was exactly the same. And the lovely HELP! turn signal switch I put in liked to randomly pick a brake light to keep from working.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Victory. That was annoying. But hey, I learned a new thing - how to take the steering wheel off. That'll come in handy when I want to make a quick release thing so i can do this:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

WITNESSED

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

cursedshitbox posted:

The slipyoke on the transfer case is all lovely again and pissing me off, as is the lovely bed.

annnd foreshadowing because I've reached critical mass with this leaky vibey pile of poo poo.

Found an awesome deal on a bw1356 from a bronco, I'll be using some parts of this to convert the 1356 that's in my truck, namely the output shaft and the extension housing.

Out with the old case. They're not terribly heavy, just bulky.

Slipyoke tail shaft was hiding a little fluid and gave me a facial in the process. fucker

TWO CASES ENTER, ONE CASE LEAVES. While they're apart I'm gonna pin the oil pump. Why?

That's why. The bronco case had already chewed through it... The pump eats at the case housing and will eventually spin resulting in the case self destructing from lack of lubrication. A piece of solid rod was welded to the pump bracket. good as used.

The case from the truck was in better shape. It was pinned as a preventative measure.

1356s are pretty simple inside.. the output shaft pulls right out and can be easily replaced.

Here's a comparison of the fixed flange shaft and the slipyoke shaft.

The PTO has a future use, so this was the case that was built out.

It's back in and looks good, however there's a small problem. That yoke is a 1330 yoke which is undersized for a 1 ton truck.. Ironically enough, this bronco case was in another f350 that was cut down and built to hump rocks all day..
Ok fine, add that to the list of things to be fabricated.

And here we are with a custom built 31 spline companion flange in the foreground and a 1350 cv shaft behind it.

Companion flange went in smooth... too smooth.
Here's the meat, a 1350 sized cv equipped driveline built specifically for this truck.

:bisonyes: gently caress yes it looks and drives awesome...but..
The new companion flange's seal protector rode a little too close to the oil seal and destroyed it nearly emptying the transfer case on the shakedown.

Looks like a warzone under here. FFS! Bent the protector a little and dropped a new seal in.inserted a .27mm feeler while the flange was spun, it's fine now.. always mind the gap.

The truck doesn't bang on take off, fewer vibrations, no more clonking between rolling on/off the throttle, gear lever no longer wobbles at low speeds... It was worth the effort and every single cent. The drivetrain is quieter than any 10 spline rover i've ever dealt with. It's beyond impressive the difference this modification has made to the vehicle.

While the driveshaft was being built I had the lofty goals of tearing the bedsides off and reconditioning them.

Yeah gently caress dealing with these old rusty bolts that are inaccessible thanks to toolboxes. A few of my favorite tools(tm) made it a simple job.

It actually looks pretty presentable as a bare flatbed.

Removed the skin from the tailgate which was the better panel of the 3. I'm not wasting anymore time on this rusty rear end trash. Back to the steelyard to get more metal... It needed a driveshaft though!

Bonus:

somewhere near where I bought the tcase..

Canyon carving in the Sierras. This is one slow smokey fucker at 8874 feet and no turbo.... someday...
Also because I'm still 12:
:nms::nms:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

Also because I'm still 12:
:nms::nms:

Testing life as a less endowed man?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

:love: the arrow. Yup. That's the spot!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So tempted to throw this on as a grindr profile pic and troll a bit.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
At this point you've built a Toyota shaped like an old Ford.

Nice work as always.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Bedside project! This is gonna be photo intensive.

The old panels were removed, I cut apart the best out of three and found 5 sockingtons of rust.

Nope. Clean sheet build. not wasting anymore time on this trash. The new bedsides were designed to be similarly sized to the originals but with better hinges and latchgear. I also wanted to integrate recessed side panels commonly found on dump beds and military trucks.

The new superstructure is .120 wall and with 16ga panels, pretty sure it'll outlive both the truck and me.

Some kickass slam latches I found from a horse trailer supplier online. Best part? zerks! They're spring loaded too.

A jigsaw with a guide plate is surprisingly precise...but this still very much a hack.

ez-reach zerks installed into the latches, sadly my last two. frontmost panel massaged and tacked in. The part of the panel that overlaps with the latch was trimmed and welded to the latch itself. There's no way for me to get paint into the area where the latch is welded to the frame and it would rust.

filled the old hinge mount holes
Here is where I ran into my first problem. 1. metal warpage. 2. The bed is anything but square.

A farm jack and some blind rage later, pulled the dent most of the way back out and got the bed slightly flatter again.

Hinges installed. These are greasable with not much in the way of moving parts. The last set had door hinges, no thanks.

Tailgate done

and stitched on
The way the latches work is you hook your fingers in under the latch, pull up, as you do it releases the pin and drops the bedside in your hand. It works with welding gloves on too. To close, give the bedside a firm flick and it slams into place.

A grinder and paint makes me the welder I aint. A gallon of oil based enamel from the local tractor supply rolled on with a foam brush. Aired the truck down to 15psi and still couldn't get it into the garage, whatever it's a farm truck.

Repainted the front bumper while I was in there.. two coats on the bed so far, I've run outta time and it is now currently raining, it'll get sanded then coats three and four after the holiday.
The deck, deck supports, back 40's wiring, and fuel tank vents are next.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Link to latches please, they look pretty awesome.

e: and hinges, also look really beefy

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
https://www.horsetraileraccessorystore.com/Slam-Action-Divider-Latch-in-Steel-or-Aluminum_p_803.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Weld-on-...872.m2749.l2649

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

That's fuckin sweet. Sucks the fury road sticker had to go though.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Terrible Robot posted:

At this point you've built a Toyota shaped like an old Ford.

Nice work as always.

Let's build an American Hilux.

The guy I bought the transfercase from reached out to me and asked if I wanted the frame and leftovers from his partout. The frame itself is a bricknose f350 frame that has been bobbed on the rear bumper side.
So I bought the frame which has sliders and a reverse shackle kit attached, and re-arched stock springs up front.

The sliders I'm hoping to get installed in the next few days if the weather plays nice. The frame I'll probably take a gas axe to or bandsaw the C channel apart and use it to box the frame on my truck. Cross members will have to be braced, boxed and welded to the frame in order for this to work out. The transmission mount I'll probably redesign in tube and if the driveline angles allow I'll tuck it. (it dingleberries an inch or two anyway) There's a mountain of work to get the reverse shackle kit in without lifting it in the process, I'm putting that off till later.

Living in the California oblast commends some seriously lovely drivers so it's time for a dashcam.

I bought this dual dashcam on amazon that's also a mirror and integrates a bunch of other functions like lane departure, reverse camera, and parking spot monitoring. I designed and printed a mount to go from the original ford mirror bracket to the new mirror. A combo of flexible adhesives and chemical welding holds it all together. (the stupid rubber o-ring clips were dumb and didn't really fix the new mirror to the old in a clean fashion) from 10' it doesn't look like anything special and there's no bullshit stuck to my windshield.

It's hilarious at how idiots will sit close enough to my rear end that I can not only read their plate, but their stupid dealer bezels too.

Edit: 2019: Year of the turbo. It has been purchased.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 20, 2018

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Oooooh. Which dashcam is that? I like that.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Krakkles posted:

Oooooh. Which dashcam is that? I like that.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CLYP56B/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's been wet as gently caress and I've not done any welds because of it.

I did however, build a pyrometer from mostly parts stock.

I really hate blue leds... but it'll do for now. Standard pyrometer probe (k-type thermocouple) to a max6675. An arduino pro mini runs it all. The display is a standard 20x4 off the shelf with an i2c backpack soldered on.
The din slot is 3d printed and the probe is threaded into the driver's side exhaust manifold. (the dash trim was hacked on, hence the gap..)

It'll get a red display after the holiday. As more sending units are added the information on the display will get condensed. It's super easy to add data logging now too. (my GPS breakout was being a poo poo so I sat it aside for now)

It's going over the grapevine for the holiday which this truck has done a dozen times.. Curious to see what the exhaust temps are as I adjust fueling according to smoke since it's still N/A

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I still think you need a red/blue color changing backlight so it can go red if it exceeds recommended EGTs

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
The RGB version is around ~$35 vs $5 for a single color. Audible warning, plus flashing of the backlight will get my attention. There's also a CEL in the dash that's tied to a couple existing engine sensors (temp/oil pressure) that can be utilized with a little electronics work.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I got my toyota turbo diesel to crack north of 700 degrees pre turbo the other day. I swear if it wasnt bright sunshine the turbine housing would probably have been glowing. Gotta love how god drat stout diesels are.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ferremit posted:

I got my toyota turbo diesel to crack north of 700 degrees pre turbo the other day. I swear if it wasnt bright sunshine the turbine housing would probably have been glowing. Gotta love how god drat stout diesels are.

the IDI reached close to that on the grapveine. It's pretty awesome that this engine didn't turn into a ball of slag over the last 3 years without a pyrometer. years of watching Rover temp gauges apparently worked out for watching exhaust smoke. The PO's selection of lolhuge injectors really shows on the pyrometer. Good thing an ATS 093 turbo kit is on the way to offset it.

Imgur shits itself with panos.. here's some rando hosting of a pic I took at Johnson Valley OHV. another 1100 mile trip to socal and back without a hitch. 13.6mpg (s)off(t)road, up to 15.3 on the highway keeping with the flow of traffic. it's nice to be able to comfortably cruise in the left lane and not hangout behind swift trucks at 65mph. on average the trip from the SF bay to SoCal (Johnson valley, Salton Sea) has been reduced from ~12 hours to ~8.

There's a week of sunshine.. time to get the tools out and make some sliders!

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 27, 2018

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Bay area ready.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
:swoon:

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
1. I continue to be jealous of your skills, tools, knowledge, and the fact that you have a garage/driveway to work in

2. The top mounting bolt for the starter on these is a huge pain in the rear end and I'm glad I have extensions

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
haha yeah they are. There seems to be no right combo of extensions or wobblies in my box without running the fuckin' ratchet out to the bumper.

A clean commutator is a happy commutator. Little side project from last month.. engine wasn't cranking as fast as it should have been.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Went to KOH 2 weeks ago, truck performed to expectations like always. It's beastly in sand but spine busting on the rollers. I broke the bench seat which would be funny if I were fat so that means it's time for race buckets.

Cracked the windshield coming home courtesy of another shitbox.

annnnd yesterday marks the third year of this old truck.

Turbo install parts ordered, including some top secret go fast goodies. Those of you that know... Doing door/window seals now too.. It's just too loud for 20 hour drives.

Full KOH + wet trackday album(warning, 74 photos):
https://imgur.com/a/NOZiFz9

E: oh yeah I hit some massive pothole prior to KOH which misalgined the front right fender and got into it with the door.. gonna go back to the 1/4" gaps the factory instated :v:

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 16, 2019

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Awww yissss, turbo time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

shy boy from chess club posted:

Awww yissss, turbo time!

If it'll ever stop loving raining!

Swear to taco I'm going back to NV. gently caress this wet and cold bullshit.