Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Glasses (Ex-) Cop getting beaten up by a Thriller sequence was incredible. It almost seemed like all of the villains would have their downfalls in this episode (rather literally in the case of the evil sword and the clingy nihilist), but only the barely plot relevant dragon died. Makes me wonder how it's going to happen in the next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/AdamWednesdays/status/1075012613589745665

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/GoodSmile_US/status/1075697251752792064

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The subtext of Sho Fu Kan going “Yeah I’ve tried anything once” being “You think I don’t know how to use all of these magic swords I’m carrying?” is pretty drat great.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

For a nenodroid that looks good. I'm guessing it's because he is already a puppet.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they need to reprint lin so i can actually get him for sub-$75

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
PlayArts Kai needs to step up and make some quality TBF stuff. I would buy it all.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
What's the point of making Thunderbolt Fantasy toys if they're not just miniature versions of the puppets.

Just let me buy an Action Man but it's Shang.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 20, 2018

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Figmas with full detachable puppet outfits is my dream for toys for the line, but that's not going to happen because it's popular, but not premium figma popular.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
My crack theory is that the OP is about Thirsty Not-Monk.

quote:

Days gone by into the mist
As he keeps walking along His/Story
An oath made fearless, shattered and hopeless
What did he gain, what did he lose?

And yet, his heartbeat still years for radiance
Driving him to a dream he does not recognize

The land is cloaked in deepest blue
The shadow of eagles across the moon
His pain and wounds left behind in the past

He wears his solitude like an armor
To conceal his heart in His/Story
For if he shared himself, that would be the period
His freedom would be lost

And yet, to his surprise, he found warmth
He tries to push past and move on

My life goes by like passing clouds
Departed the days, I will be proud
My footsteps will make history

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Caphi posted:

My crack theory is that the OP is about Thirsty Not-Monk.

Nah. It's been Shang's theme since Season One. Tough, surly loner who's secretly a big old softie.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I can see it having dual meaning for Shou and the monk.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Great finale and stay after the credits.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

theCalamity posted:

Great finale and stay after the credits.

Please answer me this without spoiling anything else, because I genuinely lost interest in this show after a certain episode

Is Princess of Cruelty still SOMEHOW relevant? Not even if she's still alive, just, y'know, relevant

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Torquemadras posted:

Please answer me this without spoiling anything else, because I genuinely lost interest in this show after a certain episode

Is Princess of Cruelty still SOMEHOW relevant? Not even if she's still alive, just, y'know, relevant

Unfortunately, no, however the demon woman from last season makes an appearance

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Elephant Ambush posted:

I can see it having dual meaning for Shou and the monk.

if Shang and Birdy have a contrasting opposites thing where they're both swordmasters but one is a wholesome do gooder and the other a lovely troll, Murdermonk and Shang have contrasting opposites with both being qi channeling masters, only one is a mellow guy who's fed up with swords and hates killing, and other being an absolute loon who's willing to kill literally everything that lives, up to including himself, for a sword

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Gonna be honest, the season just kinda lost after me after Xie died.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Urobuchi just really doesn't like women, honestly. I mean, yeah, he seems to hate everyone but women especially are considered by him to be vapid gently caress-ups.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I only have this and the madoka show to judge Urobuchi on, so I don't quite know about that. Xie as a character was treated with enough sympathy that I got incredibly invested in her journey despite her basically starting out as a cookie-cutter mid-level minion.

Then again she's the only named, major character this season who died before the final episode, so who even knows at this point. I guess I'll just take your word for it and trust Urobuchi just likes killing off women in his works or something.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The only things of Urobuchi I've seen are Madoka, Gaim, Psycho-Pass (didn't finish it, though), Gargantia and this show. And Chaos Dragon but I'm not sure that really counts and yeah, with the exception of Madoka women in his shows have no agency and are often basically just stock characters written straight. Even in Psycho-Pass where the main character was a woman. One of the reasons I dropped it was that she was presented mostly as vapid with no agency in what was going on in the plot. If that changed, I didn't find out.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

At this point I'm not sure I can muster up any enthusiasm to watch a third season, honestly.

Like drat, at least they could've given her a cool death like Sha Wu Sheng last season but no, she just gets unceremoniously chumped in some vague attempt to up the stakes or whatever.

Come to think of it, even the female-coded sword ends the season being all "yeah, maybe my obsessive, controlling boyfriend who wants to commit a murder-suicide so I'd never even so much as look at another swordsman has the right idea", I guess Urobuchi really does think little of women.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It was at least fuckin' hype when the original version of His/Story came on.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Potsticker posted:

The only things of Urobuchi I've seen are Madoka, Gaim, Psycho-Pass (didn't finish it, though), Gargantia and this show. And Chaos Dragon but I'm not sure that really counts and yeah, with the exception of Madoka women in his shows have no agency and are often basically just stock characters written straight. Even in Psycho-Pass where the main character was a woman. One of the reasons I dropped it was that she was presented mostly as vapid with no agency in what was going on in the plot. If that changed, I didn't find out.

Akane got a lot more agency in the second half of Psycho-Pass - she basically ends the season as one of the biggest human power-players in Japan, with a respectable amount of influence over the biggest non-human player. Plus, while the other two female members of the team are relatively minor characters, they get to remain cool, competent, reliable, and alive all the way through, while keeping up a stable, healthy relationship with each other.

That said, yeah, if you roll the dice on an Urobuchi show, you do have relatively low odds on getting cool, competent female characters with agency who make it out in one piece. He's capable of writing them, he just doesn't do it all that often.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Akane got a lot more agency in the second half of Psycho-Pass - she basically ends the season as one of the biggest human power-players in Japan, with a respectable amount of influence over the biggest non-human player.

The secret to this is that Urobuchi didn't write the second season of Psycho-Pass.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
An unceremonious death for a ruthless assassin isn't exactly the furthest thing from just deserts, no matter how good her character arc was

Potsticker posted:

Tsunemori's whole arc was going from a fresh-out of higher education rookie without a clue to a proper police officer, and clearly the best one that isn't a latent criminal. She doesn't really end up effecting the outcome of the story in the end, but the note that Psycho Pass ends on is basically "Are you willing to destroy modern society, and take responsibility for the chaos that would ensue, for the sake of your moral outrage?" which y'know, I can see how a middle of the road normie with a pretty comfortable upbringing wouldn't want to upset the apple cart

I'm not saying the man has no issues, but relative to a lot of people I can think of, Urobuchi tends to treat his women characters even handedly, especially considering how gnarly his works tend to be. Cases where it's particularly gross seem to be on his more collaborative works, like Gaim (the women of which are not treated particularly worse than most other Kamen Rider heroines, with maybe the exceptions of Ghost and Build) and Anime Gundam Waterworld

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

The secret to this is that Urobuchi didn't write the second season of Psycho-Pass.

That was a typo - I meant the first season. The second season is much uglier in how its female cast is treated, which isn't surprising when you consider Ubukata's personal life.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

OnimaruXLR posted:

An unceremonious death for a ruthless assassin isn't exactly the furthest thing from just deserts, no matter how good her character arc was

Sha Wu Sheng was a heartless serial killer and he got die on his own terms, in a way that left him feeling complete and satisfied with his life. Xie Yingluo declares she'd die on her own terms, but then the show just goes nah bitch, get hosed.

It feels a bit uneven.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Hell, I'm just disappointed they killed the by far most compelling character of the season for little to no reason

She didn't get quite the same horrible treatment as Dan Fei from last season (who even stayed alive), but it's nonetheless a letdown. Her character arc was pretty much over, so she's pointless and gets thrown into a blender to establish a new villain. Her death is utterly random, unfulfilling and does nothing. It's not part of her arc - it's just bad luck.

It's especially galling how she was introduced as a genuine threat, then turned into the underdog, then is never allowed to do something smart again. I'm... just disappointed.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm glad 7BD learned to accept love in the end. :h:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 24, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

Sha Wu Sheng was a heartless serial killer and he got die on his own terms, in a way that left him feeling complete and satisfied with his life. Xie Yingluo declares she'd die on her own terms, but then the show just goes nah bitch, get hosed.

It feels a bit uneven.

Xie's on-screen crimes were a little more serious, though. Like, Sha's big thing was always fighting duels to the death, while she wiped out entire villages of helpless civilians because her girlfriend was thirsty. Even so, she got to have a satisfying duel with Shang on her own terms, before dying relatively quickly and painlessly and receiving an honourable warrior's burial from her enemies. Compared to her nastier counterpart, Xiao, who ended up on the receiving end of maximum Urobuchi sadism, she got off relatively lightly.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 24, 2018

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I mean, I can accept her death was a foregone conclusion given her laundry list of crimes, I just wish it had been anything but that. Like, I don't know, confront Goth Monk after he went full MY PRINCESS and at least save a couple lives in a final act of redemption. It would also lend more weight to Shang Bu Huang's habit of sparing his habits having a positive effect on the world around him rather than those just dying five minutes later anyway.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I just finished the finale and the post credits scene made me literally scream with joy. I am over the loving moon right now and also incredibly upset that I have to wait 9 or 10 months for the 3rd season.

And I totally agree with everyone about POC. She was a really good character and I don't like what happened to her. Or rather, we all saw it coming but I don't like how it happened.

My other complaint about this season is that it just sort of ends. I think I was hoping for a little more closure on some things. Hunting Fox just getting randomly chumped sucked. I wanted him to be some random bandit king that makes a cameo in season 3. The thing with 7BD is ok I guess but is she going to be the post credits surprise of the season 3 finale? I'm also kind of miffed that Gale had such a hard time fighting the monk. In season 1 he clowns Bones of Creation for free and now he just seems nerfed because the story needed him to be. "The Plan" was awesome though and it was really cool to see. I'm also really happy that Rou Fuyo didn't die.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm pretty sure that Xiao's death and the leadup to it was an explicit parallel to Xie's. They both get stomped by Shang and then shanked by Lou and the Seven Blasphemous Deaths, but the way they approach it and the way they end up treated by others are completely different. As for Lin, he's established as being really good, but not as good as Shang, both in the physical and the philosophical sides of swordsmanship. If Shang has difficulty blind-fighting someone, you can bet Lin will too.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/RussellLatshaw/status/1077282856697647104

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I watched the finale again and it was even better the second time through.

I really hope they're setting it up for The Gang getting back together in season 3. Someone else mentioned that aspect was lacking this season and I agree completely. They all need to cooperate to protect the index next season.

More importantly, I love that there are exactly 3 holy swords to fight off the demon/bug invasion; one for Shou Fu Kan, one for Rou Fuyo, and one for Lin Setsu A.

And gently caress YEAH KEI GAI gently caress YEAH gently caress YEAH KEI GAI WOOOOOOOOO!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm pretty sure that Xiao's death and the leadup to it was an explicit parallel to Xie's. They both get stomped by Shang and then shanked by Lou and the Seven Blasphemous Deaths, but the way they approach it and the way they end up treated by others are completely different. As for Lin, he's established as being really good, but not as good as Shang, both in the physical and the philosophical sides of swordsmanship. If Shang has difficulty blind-fighting someone, you can bet Lin will too.

there is 0 chance that lin is worse than shang in sword fighting unless they forgot everything about s1. Screaming was on par with Shang and he got clowned by bones and then bones got clowned by Lin

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

there is 0 chance that lin is worse than shang in sword fighting unless they forgot everything about s1. Screaming was on par with Shang and he got clowned by bones and then bones got clowned by Lin

Shang was holding back super hard throughout S1. I really doubt he was fighting Sha seriously.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Lin is better at fighting with swords, but give Shang a branch or something and we'll see who comes out on top.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Torquemadras posted:

Hell, I'm just disappointed they killed the by far most compelling character of the season for little to no reason

Her character arc was pretty much over, so she's pointless and gets thrown into a blender to establish a new villain. Her death is utterly random, unfulfilling and does nothing. It's not part of her arc - it's just bad luck.

I disagree on the 'no reason' and 'utterly random' parts of this (and a little on the 'does nothing,' obviously it's made people mad at the injustice of it all which is something that was probably intentional.) Xie's death was set in motion when she stole the swords from Shang and upon learning exactly which swords she had, didn't try to get rid of the one she couldn't handle. After that her story follows a fairly standard tragedy.

We're shown repeatedly that she's in over her head. And when she picks up the 7BD we're shown that Shang's reason for collecting all those swords was a pretty good one indeed. Her arc takes an upturn when she manages to break the spell over her and decide to GTFO of being a villain. So she swims up to the surface and manages to take a breath of fresh air, take a look around at the bright world above the waters before Evil cruelly snatches that away from her.
Because actions have consequences, especially when you're dealing with forces beyond your control.

The reasons are there, it wasn't random but it was pretty unsatisfying and mean.

a cartoon duck posted:

It would also lend more weight to Shang Bu Huang's habit of sparing his habits having a positive effect on the world around him rather than those just dying five minutes later anyway.

One of the sub-themes this season is what I'd tentatively call: 'how does one handle evil?' We've seen three different takes on this (Shang's, Lang's and a repeat of Lin's) and all of them have their positives and negatives.
First we have Lang's: snuff out the seed before it sprouts.
Good thing: it would have prevented a lot of bad things from happening this season if Lang just merc'd the Monk/Lie when he had the chance.
Bad thing: going around killing people because they're incredibly likely to do bad things sounds pretty much exactly like what a villain does. Good intentions don't excuse Evil acts.

Then we have the repeat of Lin's: co-opt it's evil nature to defeat itself.
Good thing: Evil defeating itself is always great to see (and makes things less evil, so win-win.)
Bad thing: Sometimes Evil doesn't care if it's defeated. Sometimes Evil is incredibly petty. Sometimes Evil is perfectly willing to do other Evil things if it can no longer do one.

Finally, Shang's: Defeat it if you have to, but spare it if you think it's worthy.
Good thing: Redemption is a net-positive Evil-defeating practice and it tends to make the world a better place.
Bad thing: Some Evil cannot be redeemed. Some are prone to relapse into Evil. And sometimes when you turn your back on Evil to show it mercy, Evil's just going to take the opportunity to bite you in the butt.

Darth Walrus posted:

As for Lin, he's established as being really good, but not as good as Shang, both in the physical and the philosophical sides of swordsmanship. If Shang has difficulty blind-fighting someone, you can bet Lin will too.
Lin's probably every bit as good as Shang (or even better) with swordsmanship, but there's some things you can't fight with just swordsmanship. Poison and Mind Control being the most relevant examples. Difference is, Shang's probably done this before and thus he knows how to handle it (and both Shang and Monkman are, for all intents and purposes, equal in their qi channeling.) Lin not only has to fight someone he can't look at, he's likely not used to the style of qi channeling the monk uses (he prefers trickery to brute force) and Monkman is the type of person that Lin's psychological shenanigans just aren't effective against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
Puppet(puppet) Shang was so cool even Lin was like"wow! this is really cool!"