Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Odd Mutant posted:

what are they crossbred with? pure joy?

More or less yes. First one is half great dane, quarter corgi, quarter GSD. Second one is Mexico Brown Dog (aka who knows, she's From The Streets).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NitSniGeRHo

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

I'm very, very excited! I've been around animals my whole life (both my parents are zookeepers), but have never had more than a cat for any length of time where I lived. I'm finally in a space (my Dad's house :toot:) with a big yard and space to explore, so I went to the shelter to do some reconnaissance. I really didn't intend to adopt that day, but I met one-on-one with a few very good boys, and one in particular stole my heart. I only heard him bark once, right when I first walked through the door. When we visited he jumped - or, more accurately, barreled sideways - right up into me, licking my face and just demanding scratches all over his v. good face and ridiculously thick neck.

The shelter said his name was Scooby. I won't lie, considering he's clearly not much of a Great Dane this kinda bugged me, but he was already trained to come when called and :effort:. As an act of rebellion, when I was filling out his license with the city I did put his official name down as "Scoobs". So, y'know.

Anyway, we went home, and it kinda scares me just how well-behaved this dog is. He will politely ask for rubs/scratches by placing his paw on your knee or shoulder, and otherwise loves to spend his time napping at your feet (or in the coolest part of the house, depending on how hot it is). He's housetrained and will only poop in the corner of the yard. He doesn't eat anything he's not supposed to (he'll eat a treat if you give it directly to him, but if he just finds something on the ground he'll kinda sniff it then move on), he absolutely loves new people/dogs/cats/squirrels, and will sit or stay on command. Plus, he knows "shake". Bonus!

I can't get him interested in any toys: from ropes to squeakers to Kong wobblers to water sprinklers, nothing really seems to interest him. He kinda likes the squeaky taco he eyed at the store, but I'm pretty sure that's because I rubbed some treats on it once when we first got it and he's still licking off the residual meat-ghost atoms.

He's really attached to me, and apparently will sit at the door and whine when I leave, which absolutely breaks my heart. However, we've recently found a solution:

Give him a frozen beef bone on a hot day, and he'll ignore you for hours, followed by sprinting in ground-circles Three Stooges-style around a pampas grass bush and then getting a little slice on the wiener while trying to pee on it.

He is a gigantic fuckin' dork and I've never been happier :3:

I wish I had more photos, but as you can see my phone is a broken piece of garbage. Besides, he seems to be aware when a camera is on him and does his damndest to be an indiscernable brown blur.

Update: I should've known: treats in the Kong toy = nothing. Dog-safe peanut butter in the Kong toy? BEST GODDAMN THING IN THE WORLD

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 3, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

You can rename him still! Dogs are very adaptable and as long as you're consistent, he'll figure it out.

Congratulations on the new cutie!

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

You can rename him still! Dogs are very adaptable and as long as you're consistent, he'll figure it out.

Congratulations on the new cutie!

Yeah I know, I'm just lazy and can't come up with anything better anyway!

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

It's true. We adopted my first best dog ever from a shelter and changed his name from Barney to Rocky. Rocky was a very good dog, and when you called him and he didn't come, you could tell he was ignoring you because squirrels or smells and not because he didn't recognize what we called him.

Congrats on the chill and handsome dog. I love the pink spot in the middle of his nose :3:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That’s a loving perfect dog

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Thanks guys, he's super handsome and lately has been waking me up in the morning by slapping me in the face, I love him so much :3:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Today is Maybellene and my 6 month anniversary. Gonna have a candlelit dinner with her.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

These are good dogs in this thread

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
This is Bailey, she’s (as far as we can tell) an Australian Shepherd mixed with... something brindle?

She’s a sweetheart even if she’s nowhere near as bright as our last Aussie, has super furry paws and a love of water.

She has a white splash on her chest and a SUPER fluffy tail.

It’s funny- when we first got her, her coat was rough and very flat. After a year of good food and care, she is now so soft, and fluffy. ESPECIALLY the tail:

Before:

And now:

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Bailey looks like a very sweet dog.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
https://i.imgur.com/ADoUje3.gifv

Filmed Baron dreaming!

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

This is caesar. He's an older gentlemen, a cocker spaniel boxer mix. Or, a cockbox if you prefer.

This is Zora, a jack russel/mini australian Shepard mix. She's actually fairly lazy for those two breeds but highly intelligent. Also a real good hunter.

This is the fuzzers when they were much younger doing the doggo thing.

Perimeter patrol.

BONUS MUTT. A friend of mine adopted Zora's brother from the same litter. Over the years we've had so much puppy playtime or him watching our dogs, us watching his dog, etc that even 11 years later they still act like litter mates.

adaz fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Sep 16, 2018

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

adaz posted:

Perimeter patrol.

Good dog doing good work protectin’

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

My good buddy Moe says hello

Majestic

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Snaggletooth 10/10

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Eifert Posting posted:

Snaggletooth 10/10

Turn on your monitor.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Maybellene's lookin all cute n sassy

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

dog nougat posted:

excellent fur/pillow combo

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I wish this thread got updated more. These are all the best dogs.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

dog nougat posted:

What dog is in that dog?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

EVG posted:

What dog is in that dog?

Adorable. :colbert:

Best guess is Dutch Shepherd, and mystery dog. Her coat is full brindle like a Dutch shepherd, but no shagginess like shepherds tend to have. She has a curled tail and a spotted tongue, so not really sure.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

dog nougat posted:

Adorable. :colbert:

Best guess is Dutch Shepherd, and mystery dog. Her coat is full brindle like a Dutch shepherd, but no shagginess like shepherds tend to have. She has a curled tail and a spotted tongue, so not really sure.

Hehe. That's what Bailey looks like, but she's a 100% shelter mutt so we think it's just coincidence.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Let's have some more brindle ladies

Vega's my hound girl. She's camera shy. I cannot get a good pic of her. The shelter's guess was Plott Hound. I'm sticking with that.

Lyra's my little dog. The shelter's guess was Whippet/Min pin. My guess is lovely BYB Rat Terrier.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

My mother got a rescue dog from Mexico. No idea what it is but a lot of dogs from Mexico seem to have this look. It's good and chill and I think loves not being a street dog anymore.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

“Mexico Brown Dog”

I too have a Mexico Brown Dog, and she’s super chill and definitely loves not being a street dog anymore. I remember leaving the rescue when I put her in my truck with my other dog for the first time. She seemed to suddenly realize that she finally had a pack again and wasn’t alone anymore, and before we even got home she went from being timid and scared to being chill and happy. Dogs are the best guys

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Gulliver is a happy mutt. Very little training when I got him from a rescue in the end of July, but things are progressing.
He is practicing his mountain goat cosplay.

Turkeys? In my back yard? It's more likely than I thought!

And of course, Gulliver urges everyone to let sleeping dogs lie.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

So if you do Embark dna testing they make a little quiz now so other people can guess what breeds your mutt is.

Here's Major's quiz.

I did a wisdom panel 7 years ago but I really liked the embark better with all the cool genetic info it gives.

And some pictures of my good old man. Can't believe he's almost 11!

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Instant Jellyfish posted:

So if you do Embark dna testing they make a little quiz now so other people can guess what breeds your mutt is.

Here's Major's quiz.

I did a wisdom panel 7 years ago but I really liked the embark better with all the cool genetic info it gives.

Fun, I got them all right! :3:

Major is a really cool looking dog. Were the wisdom panel and embark results dramatically different? My daughter really wants a test for our jerk pup, but I am not sure I want to go for the more expensive one because it would really be just for fun.

For Ivy, we were told "second generation puggle" but she is obviously other things. Mom and dad both had a puggle-ish body type with Boston coloration. The grandpa looked like a puggle but bigger - probably 45 pounds. This was an accidental litter and I am almost sure her parents were siblings. It was a less than ideal situation for sure.

I think there is maybe Boston terrier, pit bull, or boxer in there because she has some brindle coloration. Her mom is a lot more brindle and her litter mates looked like her but brindle. She had a sibling that was white and gray which points me back to the pit bull possibility.

She is part beagle for sure, she has a very beagle personality.

This is mom:

Anyway, I love this jerk. She is incredibly selfish but she can be sweet when she wants to. She knows she is adorable, and I fall for it constantly. A good friend adopted the mom, so we will have her here for New Years along with her corresponding human who happens to be my daughter's age. It has all turned out well, I just wonder what this pup actually is.

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 25, 2018

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Here's his old wisdom panel results. I'm sure they've updated their technology a lot since but I still hear frequently that if the breed is less than like 15% that wp has really wild guesses.

I got the embark for $70 off for cyber monday so the price difference wasn't huge and the extra stuff made it worth it for me. Embark has a relative finder thing now too which can be interesting. I've seen several people find surprise siblings on there.

I also signed up for Darwin's Dogs/Darwin's Ark back in 2016 so we'll see how their results compare now that they have better funding to actually run samples.

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 25, 2018

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

HungryMedusa posted:

This was an accidental litter and I am almost sure her parents were siblings. It was a less than ideal situation for sure.

:hmmyes:

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Yeah, we had to get one of her lower canines removed because it was hitting her palate and making an indentation which the vet thought would eventually break through. She has an extreme overbite.

Get your dogs spayed and neutered, folks!

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Here's his old wisdom panel results. I'm sure they've updated their technology a lot since but I still hear frequently that if the breed is less than like 15% that wp has really wild guesses.

I got the embark for $70 off for cyber monday so the price difference wasn't huge and the extra stuff made it worth it for me. Embark has a relative finder thing now too which can be interesting. I've seen several people find surprise siblings on there.

I also signed up for Darwin's Dogs/Darwin's Ark back in 2016 so we'll see how their results compare now that they have better funding to actually run samples.

How do you feel about the FBI now having access to your dog's DNA pattern? :colbert:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Worth it to know all the components needed to create an army of extremely terrible but very handsome dogs.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Double posting on this extremely dead subforum because I asked Wisdom Panel for a new copy of my results and I guess now they don't even bother with small percentage breeds, they just say what "breed groups" they might be from.

I'd be fairly annoyed if I spent $85 to get 25% :shrug:. At least the wild guesses were entertaining. Personally I'd wait for a sale or coupon code and get an Embark.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Double posting on this extremely dead subforum because I asked Wisdom Panel for a new copy of my results and I guess now they don't even bother with small percentage breeds, they just say what "breed groups" they might be from.

I'd be fairly annoyed if I spent $85 to get 25% :shrug:. At least the wild guesses were entertaining. Personally I'd wait for a sale or coupon code and get an Embark.

How does the tree look? All those breed groups were from mixed breed grandparents on my dog. If the dog isn't a pure breed, it's a mix of some kind and you would need the test from that dog to really know.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Phuzun posted:

How does the tree look? All those breed groups were from mixed breed grandparents on my dog. If the dog isn't a pure breed, it's a mix of some kind and you would need the test from that dog to really know.

Wisdom Panel family tree

Embark family tree

For like $100 less than Embark I get why WP tests way fewer markers and therefore won't have nearly the amount of accuracy in the smaller percentage breeds. I just think it makes it a lot less helpful unless your dog is definitely only 2-4 breeds, which you probably wouldn't know unless you had them tested. Personally I would recommend people just save up and wait for a sale on Embark rather than buy a WP unless you just want to know for sure your purebred dog isn't mixed or something. I definitely don't know why someone would do the more expensive WP with health testing over an Embark test. Dog DNA testing is a dumb expensive luxury no matter what company is doing it, may as well get the most accurate info possible out of it.

That being said, I waited and got my Embark test on crazy sale. I would not spend almost $200 on dog dna testing, no matter how much I enjoy random data. I'm certainly not being paid to shill for them (unless they want to pay me).

Just don't let the health results cause you to make medical decisions for your dog without consulting a vet about them.

Sparky2
Jan 3, 2019

A loose cannon with a tight shot group.
This is my dog Simon.

I don't know what breed he is.
Part pit bull, part perpetually-hungry.

He can shoot blue flames out his eyes, so I love him dearly.

:)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aDecentCupOfTea
Jan 13, 2013

This is Flynn!

He is a fat epileptic lump.
His hobbies include putting his chin on things, sleeping, and shouting at you if you don’t do what he wants.

He looks incredibly Jack Russell-y but he is about 3 times the size of every other Jack Russell we meet.
Bet guess we have come up with is part Jack Russel part beagle because of his “deep chest” (as the vets put it) but basically all jack in the face.

He’s the absolute worst, and I love him more than life.