Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

The ending is not an encoding error. They cut Arino off mid-sentence in the broadcast. :v:

wow everybody just copying the sopranos now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

univbee posted:

Merry Christmas!

If I have to see this, so do you.

Oh fine, I guess I can put a New Year's Zelda II Revenge in your stocking, too.

Translated by kakaricho
Timed by Random Stranger
Proofread by hirayuki

https://nyaa.si/view/1104878

https://mega.nz/#!SNsFnAja!ohhwAq4842u683Lr007sSqDgUQwLyV9hvjr9VACSd54

Great video, thanks!

After seeing this series, I honestly don't know why it's hailed as the "best zelda" or even a "good zelda." I've played it before and the controls are laggy, the hitboxes are shoddy and unfair... if it didn't have Zelda in the title, everyone would just call it a badgame.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I don't think I've ever seen anyone call Zelda 2 the best one

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I wish they did because it was my first one and I adore it, but years of Internet shade have made it about as unloved as Castlevania 2 for being a "black sheep" that dared to be different. I think more people appreciate it now than they did 15 years or so ago, though. Which is good!

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know about best game...but Zelda 2 has the best dungeon theme in the series.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Literally never heard someone say it is the best. Not even top 3.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

The White Dragon posted:

Great video, thanks!

After seeing this series, I honestly don't know why it's hailed as the "best zelda" or even a "good zelda." I've played it before and the controls are laggy, the hitboxes are shoddy and unfair... if it didn't have Zelda in the title, everyone would just call it a badgame.

Uh, no. I think you got that backwards. Most people called it a bad game until recently, when they would have called it a good game back in the day if it wasn't a Zelda game. It probably would've been a classic if not for the fact that it was a Zelda game but played nothing like the original.

I've never even played it so I don't have a dog in this race :shrug:

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Zelda II was absolutely not considered a bad game when it was new, nor was it criticized for being "different". It wasn't until the mid 90s, when the SNES and GB games were out and had kinda established what "a proper Zelda game should be like" that people that started with one of the later games went back to play the early ones and complained about how different Zelda 2 was.

You get the exact opposite with the Wonder Boy franchise. Wonder Boy 2 played absolutely nothing like Wonder Boy 1 either, but since most of the later games kept the gameplay from the second game, that series has people singling out the FIRST game for being "different". And in both cases, nobody actually thought like this until several years and further sequels later.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Adamant posted:

Zelda II was absolutely not considered a bad game when it was new, nor was it criticized for being "different". It wasn't until the mid 90s, when the SNES and GB games were out and had kinda established what "a proper Zelda game should be like" that people that started with one of the later games went back to play the early ones and complained about how different Zelda 2 was.

Um, no. I can vouch for the fact that myself and many of my middle school friends who played the game when it came out in the US definitely criticized it for being different, and I seriously doubt that we were alone.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

^^^^^ it was the same for my friends and I.

Zelda 2 is interesting because it doesn't show the level of care that went into the design. Not that the first Zelda was a paragon of originality, but it was definitely taking all the elements that existed in the top down action/rpg genre and giving them a good polish. Whereas LoZ is an improvement in various ways on games that came before it like Hydlide, Druaga, or Dragon Slayer it also simplifies things from games like Xanadu, and even games that released concurrent or after LoZ, like Adventure of Valkyrie or the first Ys game, it definitely feels like it pushes things forward in terms of making sure all the parts form a complete package.

Zelda 2 similarly didn't do anything that other games weren't already doing on the market, but in contrast to it's predecessor it doesn't present the same push towards making it one of the best of its type. Rygar, Simon's Quest and Maze of Galious for instance are all at least as good of if not better of a game in the genre that released within a few months of each other, with Faxanadu trailing closely behind. And a year before any of these we had Metroid and Romancia-- which admittedly sort of misses out in the action portion of things since it was still using the "run into enemies to hurt them" thing, but I still felt was closer than Legacy of the Wizard or Sorcerian.

Zelda 2 even feels unfinished given the improvements that came with the American release. This isn't a bad thing, after all Dragon Quest to Dragon Warrior also received improvements that pushed the series forward, but with Zelda 2 it wasn't nearly enough.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
People are way, way too kind to Rygar NES.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

People are way, way too kind to Rygar NES.

Yeah, as much as some laud it for not just being a direct arcade port, it was clunky, obtuse and just plain lovely. And I felt that way playing it in 1988.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Rygar definitely has its issues. The leveling/magic systems are very obtuse, getting to attach to the ropes to cross chasms in both the top-down and sidescrolling sections can be frustrating and most of the challenge in the game can be passed by simple grinding of appropriate mobs. It's also comparatively short to something like Adventure of Link and there's no save function. But I don't think it's significantly worse with these aspects than AoL or Simon's Quest are with their individual issues.

I think people being "kind" to Rygar nowadays is a function of people in general only realizing that it was a decent game that maybe had been passed on for a long time. I was the kid that left an NES on in order to beat it, though. So my memories of it are definitely on the positive side.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Nipponophile posted:

Um, no. I can vouch for the fact that myself and many of my middle school friends who played the game when it came out in the US definitely criticized it for being different, and I seriously doubt that we were alone.

And I can vouch for the fact that I and many of my friends who played the game when it came out in Europe thought it was a great game and a perfectly fine sequel, and I seriously doubt that we were alone either. Anecdotes will always be anecdotes.

I also have tons of video game magazines from that era, and Zelda 2 was one of the top rated NES games in the reader popularity polls for years. The game was very popular.

Adamant fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Dec 26, 2018

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

You know, Europe. Where the NES was super popular.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Mister Chief posted:

Yes. You know, Europe, that continent that consists of more countries than the UK, despite Brits' seeming inability to realize that.

No, but seriously, the NES not being popular in Europe is not true. It was distributed very poorly in the UK and sold badly there, but that was one country. The NES did well in Europe as a whole, and the modern idea that it didn't is just a result of Brits spreading misinformation by saying "Europe" when they mean the UK.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Adamant posted:

This lines up with my childhood experiences. I had no expectations of what a Zelda game would be at that time, so something different was just something different. “Dang this is hard” was the big opinion shared around the playground; no one was giving a critical read on where it placed in the developing action rpg subgenre. After Link To The Past that’s what I wanted more of, but when part two came out I was way into it.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
If we're tossing anecdotal evidence out, I was loving devastated when I asked for Zelda for Christmas and got Zelda II instead. It didn't play anything like Zelda I, and even when I was a kid I thought it was bullshit when games suddenly did something different for a direct sequel.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Thanks for the finale of Zelda 2! If you want to see the unaired ending, watch the beginning of episode 211 Taito Chase.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Here's a look at the latest DVD boxset.

https://imgur.com/a/xFDHIqC

Not GCCX related, but on New Years, a six and a half (!) hour Desert Life Special with Yoiko will be on TV, with Arino officiating a desert life wedding ceremony between Hamaguchi and his wife, Akina Minami.

edit - It made Yahoo news, Arino is super happy about it.

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20181227-00000319-oric-ent

There wil be an eight hour version on Youtube as well.

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 27, 2018

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

Nipponophile posted:

I have a really fond childhood memory of my brother trying and failing to beat Zelda 2. His master plan was to get to the grand palace at the end of the night Thursday with max lives, leave the nintendo on, go to bed, to go school Friday and come home to tackle the grand palace unfettered. Imagine his surprise when the NES got stuck in a reboot loop when he got home. He was pissed~

EDIT: I was genuinely impressed that Arino managed to beat Dark Link in two tries. Was the AI easier in the JP FDS version or something?

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Tatsujin posted:

Was the AI easier in the JP FDS version or something?

Yes. He's relatively easy to just beat through pure attrition in the original, the western release ramped up his AI so much it feels like it's a bug.

(though if he HAD been playing the western version, you know the ADs would just told him about the "duck in the corner" exploit)

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Mister Chief posted:

It tanked in the UK, the NES being popular in other parts of Europe is one of the reasons why Mr Gimmick only got released in Japan and Scandinavian regions of all things.

it seems inexplicable now because the historical context has been gradually lost to time, but there was a reason for that.

I also assume it did fairly well in France based on basically nothing besides experiences with the French retro community. I wonder about places like Germany or Spain but I don't have anything to go off.

it varies but it did alright in western europe bar UK

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

The C64 was super popular in Germany, so maybe that negatively affected sales of the NES? I'm not sure and I can't find any data on units sold or anything. From my own experience, it seemed that almost everybody had a C64 (except me) and few people had an NES, but this was when both systems were pretty old already.

erikotaku
Oct 9, 2012
Is the revenge episode the essential part 3 of the other two Zelda 2 episodes? I haven't watched them yet because I wanted to see the whole thing at once.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

erikotaku posted:

Is the revenge episode the essential part 3 of the other two Zelda 2 episodes? I haven't watched them yet because I wanted to see the whole thing at once.

Yes. Though it's not really an "episode", it's the last 15 minutes of that year's new year special, the bit that's broadcast live.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Adamant posted:

Yes. Though it's not really an "episode", it's the last 15 minutes of that year's new year special, the bit that's broadcast live.

You could also say that the start of Taito Chase episode his part 3.5 of Zelda 2.

Famibomb
Sep 2, 2011
Is there an alternative to nyaa.si or a reliable proxy? The Man blocked access to it (and a bunch of other sites) about a week ago here and it makes getting new episodes a bit more of a pain in the arse.

makere
Jan 14, 2012

Famibomb posted:

Is there an alternative to nyaa.si or a reliable proxy? The Man blocked access to it (and a bunch of other sites) about a week ago here and it makes getting new episodes a bit more of a pain in the arse.

With bit of Google-Fu, I found these (no idea about reliability):
https://nyaa1.unblocked.si/view/1104878
https://nyaasi.sitescrack.site/view/1104878

Also if you google for "episode name number infohash", you might get the infohash for the episode from google, which allows you to turn it into a magnet link:

For example, the infohash for the latest Zelda revenge is "1b36b176797bd9c0bc626cb761718fbfa297cd7c", so the magnet link is:
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:1b36b176797bd9c0bc626cb761718fbfa297cd7c

I think it could be a good idea if we added magnet links to the sa-gccx.com website as well.

Famibomb
Sep 2, 2011

makere posted:

With bit of Google-Fu, I found these (no idea about reliability):
https://nyaa1.unblocked.si/view/1104878
https://nyaasi.sitescrack.site/view/1104878

Also if you google for "episode name number infohash", you might get the infohash for the episode from google, which allows you to turn it into a magnet link:

For example, the infohash for the latest Zelda revenge is "1b36b176797bd9c0bc626cb761718fbfa297cd7c", so the magnet link is:
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:1b36b176797bd9c0bc626cb761718fbfa297cd7c

I think it could be a good idea if we added magnet links to the sa-gccx.com website as well.

Thanks mate, the few proxies I checked out were either not listing current stuff or were just straight up redirects to 'You Just Won A Free iPad!!!' and internet dickpills.

Direct magnet links would be lovely.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Gah! 2019 snuck up on me, I should have posted this sooner. Enjoy a rockin' entry to cap off 2018!

Episode 240 - Um Jammer Lammy

Translated by zari-gani
Timed by Random Stranger
Proofread by hirayuki

https://nyaa.si/view/1106599
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:db11f1af2658b9fd0ea7a81383182479d1be6598

https://mega.nz/#!DZ9U2KoY!znYTIulqd8NfMAM6Ck6CGn51CdrdmceSwBjEGBZcWrU

univbee fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 31, 2018

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
SA-GCCX is the best!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

MEGA is up.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

BLESSED! Thank you!

Major Helper
Feb 18, 2013

Not necessarily
all that helpful
Thank you for the new release! Arino's outfit at the end made him look, uh, DIRTY.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Thank you! 明けましたおめでとうございます

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Oh wow, I hadn't checked the thread in a bit so I get to see part 3 of Zelda II and Um Jammer Lammy for New Year's Eve. :woop: Thank you for everything you do, SA-GCCX team

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Happy New Year to everyone! The Messe special was great, can't wait for the uncut DVD release.

The big news - On April 29th, there will be an "History of Arino's Challenge" orchestra at Tokyo Opera City by the Japan Game Music Orchestra (JAGMO)

Don't drink too much, you might end up like this guy.

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 1, 2019

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot

univbee posted:

Gah! 2019 snuck up on me, I should have posted this sooner. Enjoy a rockin' entry to cap off 2018!

Gonna be honest, I keep forgetting that you're one of the people on the translation team because I'm so used to seeing new episode posts next to your old "Let's enjoy sparkling beer indefinitely" avatar. Regardless, thanks for the new episode; here's hoping it's just as good as the Parappa episode if not better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FanofPortals
Sep 22, 2006

BILL FILLMAFF'S GREATEST DISAPPOINTMENT
Thanks for countless years of entertainment SA-GCCX team. Hopefully, we can have a great 2019 too! :)