Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Most materials in structural engineering are tested to half there design load so seriously stop worrying.

Beaver Creek was great today. Endless powder and skied right on to every single lift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Y'all are killing me. On my way to the Oakland airport to fly home after a long weekend in LA/SF. The soonest I can get to a chairlift is Friday night.

In order to feel like I'm still part of the thread I'm going to have to see if I can design a run of poles. Not that I have any understanding of what I'm doing.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

spwrozek posted:

Most materials in structural engineering are tested to half there design load so seriously stop worrying.

Beaver Creek was great today. Endless powder and skied right on to every single lift.

Why is this though? I’m not arguing, I’m genuinely curious. It makes no sense to me as a non-engineer. If you’re confident enough in the systems ability to sustain a max load that you don’t actually test to that, what’s the point of testing at half the load? Are there certain stress indicators or whatever from which you can make inferences or something?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Why is this though? I’m not arguing, I’m genuinely curious. It makes no sense to me as a non-engineer. If you’re confident enough in the systems ability to sustain a max load that you don’t actually test to that, what’s the point of testing at half the load? Are there certain stress indicators or whatever from which you can make inferences or something?

Generally there are strength reduction factors and safety factors in design.

So say you design to X, the loading will have a safety factor (say X times 1.5). Then the material might have a strength reduction factor (say 0.75, it will really depend on the consistency of the engineering properties). So ultimately things are pretty drat safe. The more things are considered life safety, the more safe they get (larger safety factors).

I design high voltage power lines. The code had all kinds of safety but in. If you look at the connections the line tension is multiplied by 1.65 and then the connection material is multiplied by 0.5 of the design load. Soooooo generally pretty safe. Buildings, Bridges, things people actually stand on are much safer.

If you tested the new lift right up to failure, well... You might have a failure and then a worthless lift. So it is most likely designed for X but the actual expected load is 0.5X so loading it to that is more than adequate.

I am rambling so here is more snowboarding from today:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bry1r16n42y/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=bf6d613iar4x

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
For you guys who have to travel to go ski, what $ amount makes a trip worth it for you?

I'm on ikon this year and am trying to mull over my options for solo trips. I've never actually been out to the popular resorts during peak season-- always early season or late (april+)

Kinda sucks but I have to do a lot of weekend warrioring. Like, I just did the math for MLK Jr weekend and 2 days of skiing would end up being like 600 dollars for the weekend including accomodation, car and flight

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Razzled posted:

For you guys who have to travel to go ski, what $ amount makes a trip worth it for you?

I'm on ikon this year and am trying to mull over my options for solo trips. I've never actually been out to the popular resorts during peak season-- always early season or late (april+)

Kinda sucks but I have to do a lot of weekend warrioring. Like, I just did the math for MLK Jr weekend and 2 days of skiing would end up being like 600 dollars for the weekend including accomodation, car and flight

That seems like a lot. I can get SW flights for dirt cheap to Denver (~$200), rental is $30/day, around $90 total with taxes for 2 days. If I go to Purgatory I can fly to ABQ on allegiant (not that bad) for $40-$60 round trip and drive up from there.

I always spring for the cheapest Airbnb on solo trips that won’t get you murdered, I’ve found these as low as $30/nt for a room. Generally I’m on the runs from open to close so I’m only in the room to shower and immediately fall asleep.

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

Awesome powder day at Bachelor yesterday, still have six days of passes to use in the next few weeks but my aged ski buddy tweaked his knee first run out. Major bummer, hopefully he is doing better in the next month and doesnt miss the whole season.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Well I broke my collar bone...

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Did you do something cool looking at least while breaking it?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Varg posted:

Did you do something cool looking at least while breaking it?

Just dicking around in the park

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Just get it removed for the season, those aren't really important

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

spwrozek posted:

Oh no man! That sucks. Here’s to a speedy recovery.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Collar bones are like kidneys, you function just fine with one

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Mostly bummed as I only had a Canada Backcountry trip starting Thursday, with a day of heli, a hut trip the 19th, another week long Canada Trip at the end of January... Just a bummer.

Hopefully skiing some blues in a month...

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

spwrozek posted:

gently caress I’m sorry man

E: if it somehow makes you feel better one of my best friends did that recently, dicking around in the park, right in front of his mom who was visiting for the first time. Double ejected on takeoff trying a 360 and has a giant bone spike sticking out of his shoulder and I’m not sure how I thought that would make you feel better when I started typing this. Cool story.

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 26, 2018

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Sorry, dude. That sucks.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot . posted:

gently caress I’m sorry man

E: if it somehow makes you feel better one of my best friends did that recently, dicking around in the park, right in front of his mom who was visiting for the first time. Double ejected on takeoff trying a 360 and has a giant bone spike sticking out of his shoulder and I’m not sure how I thought that would make you feel better when I started typing this. Cool story.

Solidarity always makes you feel better haha

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Welp, that sucks. At least you were doing sth cool in the park when it happened. I borked mine last season just on a steep icy run

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Helps that it was day 17 of the season. Plus I will be back! So hopefully I will still get 30 days in. I was really enjoying skinning with my GF, I will miss that the most for sure over anything else.

Appreciate all the well wishes though. Trying tough to not go insane all of 10 hours in...

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Park riding after 30: not even once

(I was bad at it as a youth anyway tho)

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

bawfuls posted:

I still like to rip through the little parks. I really wanna get the motivation to go spend some solid time in the medium park and try and get comfortable.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

bawfuls posted:

I hit 40 this year and fully intend to continue always being the oldest dude in the park. I mean, I WANT to be in the trees grabbing the powder no one else is stupid enough to try to get after all the good powder is chopped up, but if any park features are on my way to the base they're getting hit.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
:agreed: on park riding after 30 but why are people saying “riding” instead of skiing now? I mostly snowboard but most people I know say skiing to refer to both. I just started noticing skiers saying riding on like outside tv but I remember that being something people were adamant about in the 90s/2000s. It really doesn’t matter what you call snow-sliding I just think it must be regional how the vernacular changes.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I had a comminuted collarbone fracture at almost this time of year in my late 20s. I (foolishly) tried to go riding again as soon as I felt like I could do without the sling, maybe mid January. It only took getting off the lift once to realize the consequences of the most minor fall. I came back in mid February on a powder day. It was still pretty scary and a few violent balance corrections were kinda painful. By mid March I was riding weekly but still pretty warily. I felt maybe 95% back by the end of the season.

So that's what you get to look forward to if you're a young idiot. Otherwise see how you feel and what the doctor says in a couple months. Expect to be out again this season but don't expect to get back to where you were this year. Says this expert.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

spwrozek posted:

gently caress man, that sucks. Hopefully you have a speedy recovery.

bawfuls posted:

I didn't start snowboarding until I was 31. I've never set foot in the park. Gonna stay that way too.

Moot . posted:

:agreed: on park riding after 30 but why are people saying “riding” instead of skiing now? I mostly snowboard but most people I know say skiing to refer to both. I just started noticing skiers saying riding on like outside tv but I remember that being something people were adamant about in the 90s/2000s. It really doesn’t matter what you call snow-sliding I just think it must be regional how the vernacular changes.

I've always heard snowboarding called riding.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot . posted:

I call it all skiing. But probably because I grew up going skiing.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ihop posted:

I had a comminuted collarbone fracture at almost this time of year in my late 20s. I (foolishly) tried to go riding again as soon as I felt like I could do without the sling, maybe mid January. It only took getting off the lift once to realize the consequences of the most minor fall. I came back in mid February on a powder day. It was still pretty scary and a few violent balance corrections were kinda painful. By mid March I was riding weekly but still pretty warily. I felt maybe 95% back by the end of the season.

So that's what you get to look forward to if you're a young idiot. Otherwise see how you feel and what the doctor says in a couple months. Expect to be out again this season but don't expect to get back to where you were this year. Says this expert.

Yeah I will not risk it until I am good to go and then I will probably just cruise on my skies instead of my board. I fully plan to listen to the docs and whatever they say.

I also brought all my gear back to Denver so that I will not be tempted while in Dillon. It will be a very purposed choice.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'd love to get better at park skiing in my late 30s, if the gravity age tax didn't make landings so hard. Are those darn kids just baggy sacks of cotton balls and helium?

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I grew up skiing before switching to snowboarding 30+ years ago and not one time have I referred to what I do on a snowboard as "skiing". YMMV

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

What I meant is if we are headed up to the slopes I just say "we are going skiing". My gf will be skiing I could be doing either. If I am actually snowboarding I do say that.

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

spwrozek posted:

drat dude, that sucks. Sorry to hear that. Hope you have a speedy recovery and can get back at it for the tail of the season.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

bringer posted:

drat dude, that sucks. Sorry to hear that. Hope you have a speedy recovery and can get back at it for the tail of the season.

Yeah, enjoy the heli day Monday... I gave my and my girls spot to some guys in kaslo that would never be able to afford going but are awesome guys.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
If my husband and I are both going up I'll say we're going skiing, even though he snowboards. I generally only refer to snowboarding as "skiing" in that context though.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

spwrozek posted:

What I meant is if we are headed up to the slopes I just say "we are going skiing". My gf will be skiing I could be doing either. If I am actually snowboarding I do say that.

This is the right way to do it. “Skiing” is a synecdoche.

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

spwrozek posted:

Yeah, enjoy the heli day Monday... I gave my and my girls spot to some guys in kaslo that would never be able to afford going but are awesome guys.

Thanks!

I hope you can come up with a decent backup plan for the winter while you heal up - maybe somewhere warm and lazy?

That’s awesome of you to give your spots away, I’m sure your buddies really appreciate that generosity.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

bawfuls posted:

53 here.
Was carving Sun Step and Timbercruise today at Manning Park (Canada) on my Sims board.
8cm of powder was enough.

My brain says I'm too old for this poo poo, but my heart says differently!

Besides, I had a downhill race with my son. He was on skis and I won.
A good day for one-plankers!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

how many consecutive overall titles is she going to reel off now?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I'm going to be in Bratislava and Vienna in a few weeks for work and I'll have two days free. Thinking about skiing, but unsure where. I will be in Vienna when I get free, so looking more at skiing in Austria than Slovakia. I have absolutely no idea what is feasible, but wondering if anyone here was knowledgeable about that part of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

This is the right way to do it. “Skiing” is a synecdoche.

ur a synecdoche