Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Are we at the "saying that black people being represented by monkeys is kinda hosed up is just IMPERIALIST WESTERNERS IMPOSING THEIR IMPERIALIST VIEWS UNTO JAPAN" stage of the conversation yet? That's always the fun part.

Andrast posted:

Watching Jojo absolutely makes me an expert in Japanese culture

Also an expert on Italy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Funky Valentine posted:

Are we at the "saying that black people being represented by monkeys is kinda hosed up is just IMPERIALIST WESTERNERS IMPOSING THEIR IMPERIALIST VIEWS UNTO JAPAN" stage of the conversation yet? That's always the fun part.

I think that part already happened

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Your late friendo

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wrist Watch posted:

Man, they really let Robin's projectiles continue to clank with everything in this game huh

Like, they really couldn’t have let thoron beat regular projectiles if charged to at least level 1 or something? It really needs to clash off of mario fireballs? The level 2 charge was just such an amazing combo tool that it needed to get stuffed by pikachu neutral b in addition to having a big sign letting the other person know how many times you had left to use it?

I mean they already put the Belmonts I the game, they’re clearly not afraid to put zoners in. Is the fact that you can only use the moves so many times before having to recharge not enough?

Robin seems pretty bad so far, he has some good attacks but it feels like out of all of the cast, he was tweaked the least from 4. It doesn't feel like he was balanced out to compete with everyone else and his projectiles/spells need to be stronger because right now they're bad, especially considering they're limited and on cooldowns.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
One of my favorite things about playing Olimar is throwing yellow Pikmin at Robin, as they eat the projectile and continue to sail into her face.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Funky Valentine posted:

Also an expert on Italy.

playing mario games makes-a me an expert on italy, mama mia

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

DoctorWhat posted:

This is also the Smash game to bring back Ganondorf's OOT design, where he's swarthier and more hook-nosed than he's ever been in gorgeous HD, so clearly SORA / NCL really does not care.

Whats wrong with hooked noses?

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

bef posted:

Whats wrong with hooked noses?

Is there just a wiki of bad stereotypes we can link to for people like this at this point?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

His new design is poo poo because I no longer have my old man ganondorf color from SSB4

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ChaseSP posted:

His new design is poo poo because I no longer have my old man ganondorf color from SSB4

At least we have Smurf Ganondorf now.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Hey actual question about the game

Sometimes when I get launched, I can use an air attack on my way down. Other times, I just get pinballed around like a doofus. How can I tell when my controller inputs will actually work, versus when I should just focus on timing my air dodge or tech?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Aggro posted:

Hey actual question about the game

Sometimes when I get launched, I can use an air attack on my way down. Other times, I just get pinballed around like a doofus. How can I tell when my controller inputs will actually work, versus when I should just focus on timing my air dodge or tech?

When you're in hitstun you have a reeling animation.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tom Gorman posted:

Is there just a wiki of bad stereotypes we can link to for people like this at this point?

Hooked noses don't soley mean jew anymore in pop culture, given how its also used for witches and has been divorced from all other jewish contexts for stuff like generic fantasy goblins used in d&d, warcraft, and such.

Although the harry potter goblins are problematic.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Pharohman777 posted:

Hooked noses don't soley mean jew anymore in pop culture, given how its also used for witches and has been divorced from all other jewish contexts for stuff like generic fantasy goblins used in d&d, warcraft, and such.

Although the harry potter goblins are problematic.

The WoW goblins have gotten plenty of backlash over that

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Hooked noses are frequently antisemetic in general, which includes islamophobia, and Ganondorf is an invading desert king with dark skin who is implied to have a harem along with a lot of other Islamic iconography associated with the Gerudo.

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
it's Technically Christmas and here i am, sweating with excitement about declaring JApan an insular ethnostate online in the thread of a game at which i suck

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I've been to 4 Christmas gatherings in the last 3 days with awful family I see once a year and the amount of casual intolerance for other people and cultures I've had to deal with has just about reached a boiling point so I legitimately cannot tell what is trolling and what isn't at this stage so forgive me, this is the smash thread.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Dr. Fetus posted:

All I can say is :yikes:. Guess the feather was only indicative of a bigger problem.

Ok but this post:

quote:

I mean Donkey Kong is inherently based on old racist stereotypes of King Kong. You can look up the racist undertones of King Kong if you care. But DK64 really took it to the next level with having them rap and collect watermelons. Throughout the years they've kind of moved away from that stuff but the root of the character is based on that. So using DK for anything remotely racial is big yikes.

Is stretching things just bit with the DK64 stuff.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Ok but this post:

And there was a post in the resetera thread where diddy kong having a boombox on his shoulder and shades in the donkey kong country games was taken as racist.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Ok but this post:

Never go full Resetera.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Richter and Simon has become so predictable now that I have fought a bunch of them, similar to K. Rool. You still have to be careful cause they zone so well and their whip has insane range, but at least as Bowser Jr I can dish out a bunch of stupid ranged poo poo at them too and they honestly don't know how to deal with it. Also Bowser Jr's clown car is STRONGER than the boomerang cross (but not the axe or holy water).

Probably the hardest matchups for me so far are: Young Link (Cause... jesus), Palutena (she outranges me so easily) and Cloud. Idk what it is about Clouds but I just have the hardest time with them as Bowser Jr. I did manage to finally beat one earlier and it felt real good

Wolf is a pretty tough matchup as well

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 25, 2018

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What makes Young Link so good?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

What makes Young Link so good?

A B on the same wavelength as Falco’s laser of old and really good frame data on everything

The only thing keeping him down is a reliable kill move

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

He's like older link but faster, bunch of confirms from bombs/boomerang. Arrows are also really drat quick firing so you can just approach while shooting easily.

E: Yeah he suffers from killing, his bair is pretty reliable.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Is the temp banning for stuff like intentional SDs automatic, or does someone need to report you? I paired up with a Toon Link and we ended up in a team battle with two new people. One guy was lame and about a minute in he just SD'd three times and disconnected. Rather than just do an unfun 2v1 match I got rid of the rest of my stocks and got to watch a pretty close game. I didn't get blocked and we rematched a couple of times so they probably caught on to what I was doing and didn't report me, but I wanna make sure there isn't some kind of automated process that will block me for doing stuff like that.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Coxswain Balls posted:

Is the temp banning for stuff like intentional SDs automatic, or does someone need to report you? I paired up with a Toon Link and we ended up in a team battle with two new people. One guy was lame and about a minute in he just SD'd three times and disconnected. Rather than just do an unfun 2v1 match I got rid of the rest of my stocks and got to watch a pretty close game. I didn't get blocked and we rematched a couple of times so they probably caught on to what I was doing and didn't report me, but I wanna make sure there isn't some kind of automated process that will block me for doing stuff like that.

It's a automated system and it'll kick your rear end if you're a repeat offender. As in you keep joining matches just to kill yourself.

You're fine if you did it only once.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Young Link’s arrows surprised me with their launch potential. They practically explode when they hit enemies which is great at high damage.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm having a good Christmas Eve doing my best as Kirby to eat my opponent and to dive off the stage. Games real good.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Unless it's well hidden I'm pretty sure there isn't a way to report people on the Switch in general.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Relevant Tangent posted:

Unless it's well hidden I'm pretty sure there isn't a way to report people on the Switch in general.

Vault > Records > Past Opponents

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm 0-5 vs the same Ridley. Every match is going in my favor until the game drops some ridiculous bullshit for him to pick up that instantly turns tide. It's uncanny and I wish I could tell the game I don't want item matches. But that would be to much to ask I suppose.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm having a good Christmas Eve doing my best as Kirby to eat my opponent and to dive off the stage. Games real good.

this is how i did most of the lvl 9 cpu challenges :slick:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm 0-5 vs the same Ridley. Every match is going in my favor until the game drops some ridiculous bullshit for him to pick up that instantly turns tide. It's uncanny and I wish I could tell the game I don't want item matches. But that would be to much to ask I suppose.

Well, rematching the same person that has items turned on five times probably isn't helping :v:

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
These are going to be Joker's classic mode matches, convince me otherwise.

Allied with K. Rool and ZZS vs Giant Male Wii Fit Trainer
Allied with Chrom vs four Mii Swordsmen dressed like Vince.
Allied with a female Mii Brawler in a biker outfit vs Giant Wario
Allied with Inkling Girl vs Giant Isabelle
Allied with Daisy vs a Giant ROB, 2 regular ROB and Mini Olimar
Allied with Bowser Jr vs Dark Samus
Bonus round
Allied with Incineroar vs Bowser/Giga Bowser

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

Dr. Fetus posted:

All I can say is :yikes:. Guess the feather was only indicative of a bigger problem.

I just fought Mr. Sandman last night and my immediate thought was "oof, that's not great."

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Just came in here to say that I appreciate the WoL Jigglypuff using Rollout with Milktank as the spirit. It's a cute reference

Another opinion I have in some of these WoL fights are stupidly unfair and not fun (playing on Hard mode), like the Mario and Peach with Pong helper.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Grump posted:

Just came in here to say that I appreciate the WoL Jigglypuff using Rollout with Milktank as the spirit. It's a cute reference

Another opinion I have in some of these WoL fights are stupidly unfair and not fun (playing on Hard mode), like the Mario and Peach with Pong helper.

Some aren’t meant to be played right away. Look at the number in the corner for each battle, your spirit number should be pretty close or you’re going to have a bad time.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

There's also a ton that are basically impossible if you don't have a spirit that counters the gimmick of the fight.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
What dark magic counter the fight with infinite Assist Trophy Issac? Because gently caress that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

If that's the fight on Wuhu Island's rope bridge, he seems to like getting stuck on the right side of the stage to spam his hand push.

I had luck with just fighting on the left side out of his range.

Otherwise, stack assist killer and try to focus fire him first.