Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

That is a crazy insane looking trailer. Can't wait to see it.

I got a real Invasion of the Body Snatchers vibe from it.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Releasing the trailer on Christmas day is a really next-level move, I'm that much extra pumped just via association.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I love that Peele just goes all-in on high-concept horror. Like that trailer looks insanely good, but the concept also looks like nothing else I've really seen (or at least looks to done in a way that similar concepts haven't riffed on). I love the intimacy of the concept alone. I'm hyped.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Jedit posted:

Santa brought me the Collectors Editions of The Fog and They Live, along with a pre-order for the CE of Prince of Darkness. These are the 4K remasters with the new documentaries and featurettes, spread over four discs each. That's me sorted for a while.

Anyone else find something nice, or at least suitably horrible, under the tree?

My girlfriend got me this framed original poster for The Haunted Palace, signed by Roger Corman!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I was gonna hold off on watching the trailer for US.

Couldn’t wait.

Looks amazing.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

gey muckle mowser posted:

My girlfriend got me this framed original poster for The Haunted Palace, signed by Roger Corman!

That's a keeper.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I was already hype for this movie but my hype for it is now officially OUT. OF. CONTROL.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

axelblaze posted:

https://twitter.com/JordanPeele/status/1077564905258020864
:vince:

Seriously inject this directly into my veins RIGHT NOW
I'm into it! Looks freaky as hell

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Why'd you see it twice if you thought it sucked? Haha

Although I can't really talk since I've done that before myself. I paid full price twice to see The Last Jedi and thought it sucked both times.

I disagree about Overlord, though. Sure, it's not great, but it's a fun enough little movie that's not like a lot of what you typically see in theaters. It's not going on my favorites of the year list, but I had a good time watching it.

When you promise your friends you’d see it with them but you ended up seeing it before them...

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Are all the hatchet movies as mean spirited and awful as Victor Crowley?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Us is giving me Invasion of the Body Snatchers vibes except a full on all out invasion. A couple scenes make it seem like this is not just those two families. The corpses on the beach and that scene where it looks like a bunch of people shambling behind the evil little girl.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

OldTennisCourt posted:

In my opinion, yes.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

yeah theyre all the same

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Looking for horror book recommendations, I’ve been trying to read more lately. I read The Haunting Hill House and We Have Always Lived in the Castle this week and really liked them both. In the past the only stuff I’ve read that’s horror related has been Steven King and I gotta be honest, I don’t really like his books. So stuff more like Shirley Jackson and less like Steven King. What are some 20th century classics of the genre? I know this came up in the last thread at some point.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tolkien minority posted:

Looking for horror book recommendations, I’ve been trying to read more lately. I read The Haunting Hill House and We Have Always Lived in the Castle this week and really liked them both. In the past the only stuff I’ve read that’s horror related has been Steven King and I gotta be honest, I don’t really like his books. So stuff more like Shirley Jackson and less like Steven King. What are some 20th century classics of the genre? I know this came up in the last thread at some point.

This is the thread for you.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

axelblaze posted:

https://twitter.com/JordanPeele/status/1077564905258020864
:vince:

Seriously inject this directly into my veins RIGHT NOW

Looks good, more straight forward than Get Out but I'm dooooown.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Cool, ill check it out thanks. I actually forgot there was a book forum lol

Ill get a few of these next time I'm at the library, thanks
vvv

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 25, 2018

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Tolkien minority posted:

House of leaves
The woman in black
Anything by M r james
Quatermass and the pit
Hell house

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

OldTennisCourt posted:

There’s a sorta interesting podcast with Adam Green and Joe Lynch where they talk about making films and being a filmmaker, but Adam Green talks way too much about himself and rarely lets the subject say much. Kinda sucks.

Was really interested in hearing what Alex Aja had to say about his career but most of it was Green’s antidotes.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I've only seen the first Hatchet, but it's actually pretty fun. Oddly, for an 80s slasher throwback, it might be the most 2006 movie ever.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Tolkien minority posted:

If you want just a pile of good horror short stories I really can’t recommend The Weird enough: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Weird

It’s also all 20th-21st century. Though, frankly no one is in Jackson’s league imo.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 25, 2018

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I like slasher and gore but Victor Crowly has two dudes get murdered super quick and then a woman has her fingers chopped off, thrown spread eagle in a dress on the ground, her arm and leg brutally sawed off and then her faces smashed into the mud and her head cut off.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Hatchet isn’t nearly close to what it thinks it is, or really should be. The core idea of a “return to basics” slasher franchise is all well and good, but the end product is neither as effective or clever as it postures itself to be.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Fart City posted:

Hatchet isn’t nearly close to what it thinks it is, or really should be. The core idea of a “return to basics” slasher franchise is all well and good, but the end product is neither as effective or clever as it postures itself to be.

I was tweeting about this the other day, why is nobody able to come up with a new memorable slasher villain? The last one I can think of was Scream, 20 years ago.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Coffee And Pie posted:

I was tweeting about this the other day, why is nobody able to come up with a new memorable slasher villain? The last one I can think of was Scream, 20 years ago.

Jigsaw?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

I like slasher and gore but Victor Crowly has two dudes get murdered super quick and then a woman has her fingers chopped off, thrown spread eagle in a dress on the ground, her arm and leg brutally sawed off and then her faces smashed into the mud and her head cut off.

LMAO at the poser itt whos never seen a Fulci or HGL movie

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/PackBenPack/status/1077669507492020224

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The Guest

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Coffee And Pie posted:

Pennywise dawg

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I guess the later works of Gary Paulsen got dark.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Hatchet, the original, was basically just a movie to watch for the gore effects and cameos and that was it

Unless they ever topped the near seamless bisecting of someone, I don't see any reason to watch the sequels

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Just read the Cinefantastique article on The Fog, and I almost wish I hadn't because now I want to see John Carpenter's Total Recall.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I wish I could afford a subscription to Fangoria but it’s still wildly expensive. What’s up with that?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

Pennywise dawg

Pennywise has existed for almost 30 years.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Coffee And Pie posted:

I wish I could afford a subscription to Fangoria but it’s still wildly expensive. What’s up with that?

Didnt Fango get bought by some right wing chud or something? I remember there being scuttlebutt about its new direction a couple of months ago.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Coffee And Pie posted:

Fangoria's owned by some alt-right nutters now unfortunately.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Coffee And Pie posted:

Art the clown is pretty memorable, shame that Terrifier sucked so hard.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ruddiger posted:

Pennywise has existed for almost 30 years.

New Pennywise is legit.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

King Vidiot posted:

I've never seen a horror movie with one scene so wildly out of step with everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah he was a great villain in a really lovely movie. Impressive to come up with a genuinely creepy clown in the age of Pennywise imitators. Shame about the rest of the movie.