Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

raton posted:

Those eggs are more expensive than any egg I've ever seen

I mean here's an article form Eataly, which is an Italian themed botique supermarket in Manhattan that basically functions on selling only bullshit that can support the most ludicrous markups

https://www.eataly.com/us_en/magazine/eataly-stories/pullet-eggs/

tldr: Eggs laid by pasture raised heritage breed hens less than a year old for only a few weeks of their life, which are only available seasonally, which have a developed and saleable reputation as being the best egg you could possibly eat, and which are being sold in a store that can and happily will do a 10x markup from their buying costs in one of the wealthiest few square miles in the world, are being sold for $4.20 a dozen.

I see more expensive eggs than that just in a regular old grocery store so i sorta doubt the narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

I see more expensive eggs than that just in a regular old grocery store so i sorta doubt the narrative.

Are they thirteen dollars a dozen?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

raton posted:

palo alto whole foods has $9/doz

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Some of these posts are like reading the vegan sub reddit. I get the organic chicken from Costco, (even if you don’t believe in hormones being pumped into the chicken is bad for us, the taste is different.) and generally don’t eat non local beef. (I mostly don’t eat beef). Disclaimer, I think the whole argument that the world should go vegan because of think of the animals is missing the point... some of us really don’t care as much about that. Im sorry, I will never care as much about a cow as a homeless person. That being said, the argument about environmental impact from farming animals is very strong, and should be leaned into more than the shaming a lot of vegans go for.

As for Costco related content, mom drove to Costco today and grabbed an air hockey table to surprise my Niece and nephew. Table looks dope, and is heavy as hell. They have no clue it’s being set up tomorrow for Christmas :). It’s going to be great.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

bob dobbs is dead posted:

palo alto whole foods has $9/doz

13 bucks is still 40% more than that

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

raton posted:

Don't think I've ever seen that high I just mean your pitch of "these are the highest quality eggs being sold by people known for pricegouging" does not match my experience of regular old high end supermarket eggs. I've deffo seen 2.99 half dozen at safeway. If it were truly a snooty pricegouging store selling such nich eggs I could easily see closer to 10 bucks a dozen being a thing.

For reference it's p easy to get less than a buck per dozen here for the torture eggs or w/e you wanna call them so it's not like a high cost of living area where things are generally inflated, just that if you wanna burn the cash on it you can cause basically every store does have the hand jerked brown eggs for $$$$ if you're so inclined.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Chinatown posted:

i love egg

:same:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

raton posted:

$4.20 a dozen.

heh

Big Data posted:

Doesn't really matter where you get it. Any chicken less expensive then 10 bucks a pound came from an animal whose legs broke under its own perverse weight and just sort of slid around a floor caked in 6 inches of feces and dead animals.

good

:same:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Costco boneless chicken breasts are consistently the worst quality chicken I have to deal with yet I will continue getting it because of the price.

Seriously, whenever I cook it, it just dumps so much liquid that I need to pour some it out of the pan, else my chicken starts simmering itself and I don't get any sear. It's worse than the generic unlabeled chicken I get from the local grocery store, that's still has veins and poo poo attached that I need to cut off.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Bruh, don't you rinse the slime off your chicken and clean it with vinegar, and then paper towel dry each breast?

You don't just dump raw chicken in the pan...

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
vinegar?

I rinse it in water and towel dry but that's it. Even then, the liquid comes from inside chicken. It'll cook fine on a stovetop for a few minutes, and it starts dumping liquid when it's about half cooked through. It's too much to boil off without overcooking the poo poo out of the chicken, so it's more than just the slime on the outside. I suspect it's been brined like a turkey or something during processing.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 24, 2018

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Chicken breasts suck anyway just get thighs

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

raton posted:

Hell yeah
:goshawk::biotruths:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
If I'm doing breasts (heh) then I always go to whole foods because their poo poo is air chilled and it makes a giant difference when they cook.

Beef though? Costco PRIME all day everyday.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Renegret posted:

vinegar?

I rinse it in water and towel dry but that's it. Even then, the liquid comes from inside chicken. It'll cook fine on a stovetop for a few minutes, and it starts dumping liquid when it's about half cooked through. It's too much to boil off without overcooking the poo poo out of the chicken, so it's more than just the slime on the outside. I suspect it's been brined like a turkey or something during processing.

Oh ok, you meant the moisture content within the breast. Yeah you are right about that. Probably brined so that the breasts gain weight. Those bastards are selling us salty water.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

raton posted:

Yeah thighs are usually better, but there are some really good pan sauce recipes that are best with chicken titties.

Like my favorite chicken breast recipe that is super easy to make on a weekday:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/04/easy-pan-roasted-chicken-breast-bourbon-mustard-pan-sauce-recipe.html

e: and I've said this before but if you're not making chicken stock from your rotisserie chicken carcasses, you are completely loving up.

Taima fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 24, 2018

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

raton posted:

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

Bought a 10 pound bag of onions. So many goddamned onions. More than any man could need.

Sliced up a bunch and left em in vinegar because lightly pickled onions are the poo poo on 'whiches & hatdags.

Threw a bunch in the crockpot, had amazing french onion soup a day later.

Tonight, gonna chop one up, throw it in the deep fryer and make some onion rings for me and the boys.

PBUC

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Cut an onion in half and take out a bit of the middle. Put chicken bullion and some butter in the space. Wrap in foil and bake at 400 for a while (maybe 40m).

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

raton posted:

Cut an onion in half and take out a bit of the middle. Put chicken bullion and some butter in the space. Wrap in foil and bake at 400 for a while (maybe 40m).

Cool. Now throw that poo poo away.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

large hands posted:

Cool. Now throw that poo poo away.

Rude tude for a dingaling

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Renegret posted:

vinegar?

Don't rinse in water, just pat dry with Kirkland paper towels.

I'm glad my Costco sells tofu and Field Roast vegetarian sausages :smug:

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I know it's not possible but I hope you all awaken to a $1.50 hot dog and drink with free refill under your trees. Merry Xmas fellow cult members

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I went to Costco today to pick up a single pumpkin pie and I was out faster than a regular Saturday

Place is a well oiled machine when they got all the registers humming.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Gunna drink my costco Moet and Chandon soon.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

FCKGW posted:

I went to Costco today to pick up a single pumpkin pie and I was out faster than a regular Saturday

Place is a well oiled machine when they got all the registers humming.

I have noticed that my church is like this on busy days. They start to demand so if I go at a slow time I might end up waiting a little but if they are swamped and it's hard to walk through the store they open up all of the registers and have helpers boxing stuff and the lines move really fast.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Had to pick up a prescription today, showed up 20 minutes before opening and there were already people leaving with full carts. My prescription was even ready within a few minutes, which was shocking because my doctor had sent it over an hour earlier.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

I am wearing my Costco pajamas and watching Christmas movies and I feel so drat cute :3: Thanks thread for alerting me to these

And Merry Christmas goons :glomp:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
The past week or so I've been wearing my 32 Degree under layer. I think they were $10 each for a long sleeve shirt and pants.

I'm basically just going to wear these all winter inside and out.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

raton posted:

But why are you using bullion like a loving plebe in 2018 when you have easy access to basically at-cost rotisserie chickens? Makes no sense. There is no such thing as a good chef that doesn't make their own chicken stock. It's that important to good cooking.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Taima posted:

But why are you using bullion like a loving plebe in 2018 when you have easy access to basically at-cost rotisserie chickens? Makes no sense. There is no such thing as a good chef that doesn't make their own chicken stock. It's that important to good cooking.

I would say it's because I'm not up my own rear end about it but in a less rude way.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
gave my girlfriend a Sherpa throw this morning and it is a hit, she is currently napping in it

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 26, 2018

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

raton posted:

I would say it's because I'm not up my own rear end about it but in a less rude way.

Bullion cubes though dude, like did you time travel from the great-depression dust bowl circa 1934

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Taima posted:

Bullion cubes though dude, like did you time travel from the great-depression dust bowl circa 1934

Asssss

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Costco sells Better Than Bouillon which is a good compromise between cubes and stock.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Yeah better than bullion is pretty legit, and it seemingly never goes bad which is a nice plus. Just gets a little harder over time.

I would really suggest that people make their own though- as Costco people we have godly access to incredibly tasty and cheap rotisserie chickens that make BANGIN stock.

It's insanely easy to make stock. Throw a carcass or two, or even a whole rotisserie in a stock pot. Add some poo poo like carrots, celery, garlic, maybe some parsley if you feel like it. Then just let it simmer for a couple of hours with no further work required. Congratulations, you just made most of the food you cook on a daily basis like 50% better.

It's seriously like 15 minutes of prep and the rest is completely hands-off. Even better, it uses the carcasses which would otherwise get thrown out.

I feel like people have this impression like making stock is hard, or not worth it, or for high falutin' coastal types. And it might be for some, but you have Costco rotisserie chickens for 5 fuckin' dollars so you owe it to yourself and the world to make some stock.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I make stock sometimes if I have a carcass or bones from a roast around, but it's the cleanup from making stock that I dislike and costco sells bone stock so often I just use that.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Costco tip from an employee:
If your costco doesn't carry something you want in stock or stopped carrying something you always get find an employee with a radio and see if you can get them to check inventory. All the section managers have radios and if something gets called in enough times they'll often start putting in orders for it. This is how my store started carrying mattresses.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
I got a Costco membership for Christmas! What alcohol should I buy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Robokomodo posted:

I got a Costco membership for Christmas! What alcohol should I buy?

You have a year, all of them.

PBUC, congratulations on your blessing.