Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I forgot how irritating is to need to jump between a dozen different stations to actually outfit something.

I just want to upgrade to a cobra mk3 from my eagle jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Kitfox88 posted:

I forgot how irritating is to need to jump between a dozen different stations to actually outfit something.

Trying to find new mining equipment right after the patch when it wasn't on eddb was the worst thing. I have no clue how this is the intended gameplay experience.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I noticed a human point of interest on one of the moons I scanned, but when I flew over there to check it out it was just a base of some sort, as opposed to a crash site, that sort of thing. Like the last moon there were tons of geological POIs so I landed near one and unlike the last this one is quite flat and seems loaded with nodes. I learned on the last moon that the SRV is not like one of the Mass Effect ground vehicles and I need to choose much gentler routes to change elevations, so this is a breeze in comparison.

The gravity is low so I have to gently chip away at the deposits, and I've made a game out of trying to scoop them before they can bounce off of the ground.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Dick Trauma posted:

I noticed a human point of interest on one of the moons I scanned, but when I flew over there to check it out it was just a base of some sort, as opposed to a crash site, that sort of thing. Like the last moon there were tons of geological POIs so I landed near one and unlike the last this one is quite flat and seems loaded with nodes. I learned on the last moon that the SRV is not like one of the Mass Effect ground vehicles and I need to choose much gentler routes to change elevations, so this is a breeze in comparison.

The gravity is low so I have to gently chip away at the deposits, and I've made a game out of trying to scoop them before they can bounce off of the ground.

Better game: put 4 pips into ENG and catch them in the air with the srv-jump!

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Dongattack posted:

I can't find any asteroids that can be cracked. Played about 2 hours in VR checking 3 hotspots (platinum and bromtite or something like that) on 2 different rings before i got too VR tired to play anymore. I'm following this guide:

And i just can't find any roids with fissures, i can't see them and the ones i launched prospector limpets into didn't have any either. Are these just ridiculously rare or? Is there a easier way to find them?

Edit: I'm playing "offline", solo or whatever it was called.

If you probe an icy ring you might find a Void Opal hotspot, which sell for quite a bit. There doesn't seem to be much else in those rings, so you can haul rear end above or below the ring and if your scanner shows something really bright you're probably in luck. I just pulled in a ~250 million credit load on my Python in a common reserve (does this even matter for deep core?) ring , which wasn't even all Opals.

Now to try to not stay up way too late building a nest egg in case these prices crater while I'm away on vacation.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Better game: put 4 pips into ENG and catch them in the air with the srv-jump!

If you're not doing this I don't want to know you

I remember I drove down the side of a 20 kilometer high nearly vertical cliff face on some no-name iceball moon with 4 pips to ENG and ramped off of the mountain into space until I crashed into the moon's surface nearly 2 minutes later, it was great.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

FallenGod posted:

If you probe an icy ring you might find a Void Opal hotspot, which sell for quite a bit. There doesn't seem to be much else in those rings, so you can haul rear end above or below the ring and if your scanner shows something really bright you're probably in luck. I just pulled in a ~250 million credit load on my Python in a common reserve (does this even matter for deep core?) ring , which wasn't even all Opals.

Now to try to not stay up way too late building a nest egg in case these prices crater while I'm away on vacation.

Is there a way to tell from far away if a ring is icy or just a normal one? Can't fire up the game atm, so sorry if that's a super basic question.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

orange juche posted:

If you're not doing this I don't want to know you

I remember I drove down the side of a 20 kilometer high nearly vertical cliff face on some no-name iceball moon with 4 pips to ENG and ramped off of the mountain into space until I crashed into the moon's surface nearly 2 minutes later, it was great.

Do that in VR and come back to me. It’s quite an experience.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Dongattack posted:

Is there a way to tell from far away if a ring is icy or just a normal one? Can't fire up the game atm, so sorry if that's a super basic question.

Select a planet in the system map and the details tab tells you what type of ring it has.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Dongattack posted:

In your left screen in the cockpit you can view a map of the system you're in (next to the galaxy map button). Hover over a planet and one of the tabs on the left will show details of the planet and its rings. I think every ring has something with deep cores, but the combination of the sell value of the Opals and few other targets cluttering your scanner makes Icy a great choice.

edit - Once you're at the planet in question you can use the Detailed Surface scanner to fire probes into the rings to highlight hot spots to fly to. You may have to bind controls to be able to move the cursor on this screen, mine weren't bound on a brand new PC install for some reason.

FallenGod fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 26, 2018

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Thank you!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i think ive clicked on and read the elite dangerous OP every iteration ive seen plus the same one multiple times and i still dont really know what differentiates it from, say, eve online

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Verviticus posted:

i think ive clicked on and read the elite dangerous OP every iteration ive seen plus the same one multiple times and i still dont really know what differentiates it from, say, eve online

I've been playing the game off and on since it came out and I don't even have Excel installed.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Friendly Fire posted:

Select a planet in the system map and the details tab tells you what type of ring it has.

FallenGod posted:

In your left screen in the cockpit you can view a map of the system you're in (next to the galaxy map button). Hover over a planet and one of the tabs on the left will show details of the planet and its rings. I think every ring has something with deep cores, but the combination of the sell value of the Opals and few other targets cluttering your scanner makes Icy a great choice.

edit - Once you're at the planet in question you can use the Detailed Surface scanner to fire probes into the rings to highlight hot spots to fly to. You may have to bind controls to be able to move the cursor on this screen, mine weren't bound on a brand new PC install for some reason.

How do you find out (in game) if the ring is pristine or not? I'm assuming those are more likely to have a higher quantity of what we want, but I have no idea how to figure out if the ring is pristine or... whatever the alternative is to that.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Verviticus posted:

Eve Online is a series of spreadsheets with a very slick GUI where you press F1 to make the numbers in the spreadsheets change. If you choose, your avatar can be a spaceship!

Elite Dangerous is a spaceship simulator with the principle idea being to faithfully recreate (the idea of) the reality of flying a superliminal spaceship. It doesn't bother with narrative, or silly concepts like how the pilot got onto the ship or leaves the pilot's seat, but it does it's best to fully immerse you in the idea that you, personally, are a human person manually flying a spaceship like an airplane. Think Freelancer meets Euro Truck Simulator but without the narrative of either. VR adds a lot to this, but the sound design is what sets it apart from everything else.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Verviticus posted:

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

pik_d posted:

How do you find out (in game) if the ring is pristine or not? I'm assuming those are more likely to have a higher quantity of what we want, but I have no idea how to figure out if the ring is pristine or... whatever the alternative is to that.

Same screen that says what types of rings the planet has. It's up at the top of the planet's description rather than at the bottom with the ring info.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

a picture is worth a thousand words~~~

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

:perfect:

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy
I just lost 15 low temp diamonds and 16 void opals because the server hiccuped on me, and while my screen was frozen I ran into an asteroid and died:argh: .

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Absolute perfection.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Kitfox88 posted:

I've posted this a dozen times over the years, but if ED just copied everything from Space Rangers 2, such as their space Google that lets you find where ANYTHING is being sold, I'd be so happy.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

FallenGod posted:

Same screen that says what types of rings the planet has. It's up at the top of the planet's description rather than at the bottom with the ring info.

Ah jeez, it's just sitting there unlabeled what it is, that's a bit poo poo

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

needs a third panel with a half sunken busted rear end raft labeled star citizen

Shine posted:

I've posted this a dozen times over the years, but if ED just copied everything from Space Rangers 2, such as their space Google that lets you find where ANYTHING is being sold, I'd be so happy.

:hmmyes:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

As someone who has played both, yup, checks out.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I made my first million (and change)! I got really lucky with some passenger missions that we're close to their start location and worth a couple hundred grand.

Now, Ive heard there's a build for road to riches that only costs 1 million

What is it

I need to do something else, I can't do passenger missions for the next million dollars

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Day 5. Christmas Day back in Sol star date 12253304. My trip to Thor’s Eye has finally paid off. I have located an earth-like planet that I could proudly plant my name on. She’s beautiful.

About 7 jumps later, my Krait Phantom finally entered Thor’s Eye. Reports were correct. This is a sight to behold. My cockpit was flooded with deep blue light from the O-type star, breathtaking.

As I scooped cinders of star-breath into my hungry tanks, my FSS revealed the only two bodies in the system. A class V gas giant, and a black hole.

I raced away from the star towards the gas giant.

Surface mapping indicates the class V gas giant is actually made of ice cream.

On to the black hole. Recreating the picturesque “Thor’s Eye” the system was known for was no easy feat. Unfortunately, I got too close. My ship crashed into the exclusion zone, entering the boundary layer. However, it’s heat sinks held and I was able to capture a near perfect astronomical near-field photograph.

You’ll notice, nearly all the blue light, (such a bright system even the 7000Ls out here) nearly all of it was being drawn into and fully consumed by the black hole. Within the exclusion zone it was pitch black.

Here is my ship, nearly lost in the darkness of extreme gravitation:

Finally, routing all energy to engines and straining my FSD to its limits, I left the seductive pull of the anomaly behind.
Seemingly all at once, I re-entered normal space-time:

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/meatbishop/video/66144830

Time to get home.

Blind Rasputin fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Dec 26, 2018

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
My first million came from just random missions and trading. There's almost always a market for something the station you're at has in the system you're heading for, even if you're at a tourist trap and all they sell is poop. ABC: Always Be Carrying. My second million came from survey data I got as I was hauling a tourist halfway across the bubble, who then gave me my fourth million.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I needed to get the 5000ly requirement done for the engineer unlock and I thought I'd go southeast to the Running Man Nebula and beyond, but I can't find a way past the COL 70 zone that is inaccessible. Is there a way through or do you just have to go the long way around it?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

And here it is.

The grand daddy of that neutron highway that so many of you like to ride:

LGM-1

LGM-1 (other designations: PSR J1921+2153, PSR B1919+21, or CP 1919) is the first celestial object that we, as humans, identified as a pulsar and a neutron star. In 1967, Jocelyn Bell convinced her PhD advisor, Antony Hewish, that no, that radio signal from that exact spot in the sky was not noise, but something else. Tongue in cheek, they agreed to call it Little Green Men 1, or LGM-1. More analysis on the object quickly revealed that it fell in line with the predicted properties of neutron stars, including its magnetic fields.

Astronomy changed literally overnight.

We now know of 1000s of neutron stars, most of them as pulsars. They are the dead remnants of stars from around 10 to 30 solar masses. When a star of that mass stars fusing silicon, it has days left, as the pressure exerted from the energy from the silicon fusion can not resist that of gravity. The core collapses, releases a shockwave, and the rest star blows up in a supernova. What's left is a very dense ball of material with an intense magnetic field. An MRI machine operates around 1.5 to 3 Tesla; the LHC at 8 T. Neutrons start at 10 kT and only go up (magnetars are loving batshit, potentially hitting 100 gT). This magnetic field, like the Earth's, is unaligned with its poles, and directs radio jets from them. These jets then sweep over our telescopes like a lighthouse in a regular pulse of radio energy.

For her work, Dame Jocelyn Bell Brunell did not win a Nobel Prize. Hewish and the director of the telescope she used, however, did.

For what it's worth, most stars 30 and greater form black holes, while some stars between 8 and 10 can potentially die in a supernova due to interesting mechanics and form neutron stars. The name "pulsar" is the words "pulsating" and "quasar" combined. More on quasars later though!

iospace fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Dec 26, 2018

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

That’s a rad write up. Always wonder what a magnetar would actually do to a ship and it’s occupants.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I logged in to wrap up my survey of a geological site, and just before I boarded my ship to head back to Sirius to do some missions I looked up...

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So I finally got to my first million tonight, bought the couple things I need to surface scan more efficiently plus a fuel scoop and went out

Three planets later (half an hour? I'm still getting used to scanning poo poo) I came back with another 1.75 ready to sell

Everything's coming up Dickeye

Edit and I just picked up my first passenger mission with a million plus reward

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Dec 26, 2018

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Ferrovanadium posted:

Trying to find new mining equipment right after the patch when it wasn't on eddb was the worst thing. I have no clue how this is the intended gameplay experience.

This was why way back when I decided I'd grind the final 80% of an Elite ranking just so I could finally loving buy everything in one spot

When I started playing eddb and a few other tools didn't exist yet so buying anything was extremely painful and pointlessly morose

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

iospace posted:

And here it is.

The grand daddy of that neutron highway that so many of you like to ride:

LGM-1

LGM-1 (other designations: PSR J1921+2153, PSR B1919+21, or CP 1919) is the first celestial object that we, as humans, identified as a pulsar and a neutron star. In 1967, Jocelyn Bell convinced her PhD advisor, Antony Hewish, that no, that radio signal from that exact spot in the sky was not noise, but something else. Tongue in cheek, they agreed to call it Little Green Men 1, or LGM-1. More analysis on the object quickly revealed that it fell in line with the predicted properties of neutron stars, including its magnetic fields.

Astronomy changed literally overnight.

We now know of 1000s of neutron stars, most of them as pulsars. They are the dead remnants of stars from around 10 to 30 solar masses. When a star of that mass stars fusing silicon, it has days left, as the pressure exerted from the energy from the silicon fusion can not resist that of gravity. The core collapses, releases a shockwave, and the rest star blows up in a supernova. What's left is a very dense ball of material with an intense magnetic field. An MRI machine operates around 1.5 to 3 Tesla; the LHC at 8 T. Neutrons start at 10 kT and only go up (magnetars are loving batshit, potentially hitting 100 gT). This magnetic field, like the Earth's, is unaligned with its poles, and directs radio jets from them. These jets then sweep over our telescopes like a lighthouse in a regular pulse of radio energy.

For her work, Dame Jocelyn Bell Brunell did not win a Nobel Prize. Hewish and the director of the telescope she used, however, did.

For what it's worth, most stars 30 and greater form black holes, while some stars between 8 and 10 can potentially die in a supernova due to interesting mechanics and form neutron stars. The name "pulsar" is the words "pulsating" and "quasar" combined. More on quasars later though!
Aren't neutron stars some of the most round naturally-formed objects, because of the insanely high gravity?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

D. Ebdrup posted:

Aren't neutron stars some of the most round naturally-formed objects, because of the insanely high gravity?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Dongattack posted:

I can't find any asteroids that can be cracked. Played about 2 hours in VR checking 3 hotspots (platinum and bromtite or something like that) on 2 different rings before i got too VR tired to play anymore. I'm following this guide:

And i just can't find any roids with fissures, i can't see them and the ones i launched prospector limpets into didn't have any either. Are these just ridiculously rare or? Is there a easier way to find them?

Edit: I'm playing "offline", solo or whatever it was called.

I've been curious about asteroid mining since the update, and this image inspired me to re-rig my asp explorer into a mining vessel and set out from Dunyach Enterprise where I happened to be parked, to the closest planet a mere 150 ls away with an icy ring. 2 hours later after a lot of fumbling around and learning the ropes, I just sold 16 void opals and 6 low pressure diamonds for a cool 18m :getin:

Asteroid mining seems hella profitable compared to the 500k missions I kept running to earn fed rep

Looking for cracks to avoid wasting prospector drones seems like a good tip, but I'm sure I flew past several viable asteroids in my quest to find the ones that REALLY shone

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 26, 2018

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
So where am I supposed to be able to buy meta-alloys in Maia? There's literally two stations among these 50 pitiful rocks and neither one sells them. Obsidian Orbital will buy them, and their demand is low enough I could possibly see it swinging over to supply, but how often do the supply & demand models update?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

nessin posted:

I needed to get the 5000ly requirement done for the engineer unlock and I thought I'd go southeast to the Running Man Nebula and beyond, but I can't find a way past the COL 70 zone that is inaccessible. Is there a way through or do you just have to go the long way around it?

Are you trying to get to the area by Orion Nebula and Bernard’s Loop? I actually have the systems that you use to get inside there bookmarked. I’ll try to take some pics later this morning to help. One thing that helps is boosting your FSD. If you go to the modules panel, select your FSD, the screen available will show recipes you can use to boost the jump range. The basic one is good and will work well enough. The rarest recipe with lots of jump range is use it if you got it. It is a one time deal, so concoct the recipe and then re-plot a single jump course using the new jump range. You can often use this trick to jump to the entry stars.

Orion Nebula and that are are 100% awesome and worth it. Sort your galaxy map by the rare star types and star size, there are some major chonks out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Dareon posted:

So where am I supposed to be able to buy meta-alloys in Maia? There's literally two stations among these 50 pitiful rocks and neither one sells them. Obsidian Orbital will buy them, and their demand is low enough I could possibly see it swinging over to supply, but how often do the supply & demand models update?

Darnielle's Progress on the surface of Maia A 2 a