Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Nu Pennywise is pretty close but I consider that more of a monster movie. I can't think of a slasher since Ghost Face that I could just walk into a Halloween store and see gobs of merch for like Michael Myers, Jason, Freddy, or Chucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
People would lose their minds if someone made a practical effects showcase slasher movie with a genuinely scary villain.

Also boo RIP Fangoria, maybe I’ll buy some back issues on eBay or something

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I really liked Overlord. :shrug:

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Y'all are forgetting the Bye Bye Man and his Bye Bye Dog.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

clown shoes posted:

Y'all are forgetting the Bye Bye Man and his Bye Bye Dog.

Don't forget Bye Bye Doug, his best friend.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TheKingslayer posted:

Nu Pennywise is pretty close but I consider that more of a monster movie. I can't think of a slasher since Ghost Face that I could just walk into a Halloween store and see gobs of merch for like Michael Myers, Jason, Freddy, or Chucky.

It was sort of always a coming-of-age movie mixed with a hardcore scary monster movie. The new movie fulfills it much better than the first.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I really liked Overlord. :shrug:

Yeah if you're into Weird World War II stuff it's awesome. If you ever played the Wolfenstein games that have a theme of horrible Nazi experimentation to create supersoldiers, this is like the exact movie of that.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Here's my pet theory about Us: Jordan Peele is very particular about his music choices, as we saw in Get Out, and the official synopsis for the new flick is as follows:

"The story is set in the present day and follows Adelaide and Gabe Wilson (Lupita Nyong’o and Winston Duke) as they take their kids to Adelaide’s old childhood beachside home in Northern California for the summer. After a day at the beach with the Tyler family (which includes Elisabeth Moss and Tim Heidecker), Adelaide—who’s haunted by a lingering trauma from her past—becomes increasingly more paranoid that something bad will happen to her family. As night falls, the Wilsons see four figures holding hands and standing silently at the bottom of their driveway…"

The trailer is set to "I Got 5 On It," so my theory is Nyong'o's trauma was a miscarriage or something, and there is a another doppelganger we haven't seen yet that will bring the family number up to five in total

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jedit posted:

Just read the Cinefantastique article on The Fog, and I almost wish I hadn't because now I want to see John Carpenter's Total Recall.

Was the original casting of Dennis Quaid his idea?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

OldTennisCourt posted:

I like slasher and gore but Victor Crowly has two dudes get murdered super quick and then a woman has her fingers chopped off, thrown spread eagle in a dress on the ground, her arm and leg brutally sawed off and then her faces smashed into the mud and her head cut off.

That godawful movie Terrifier did this too. Guys get a hammer to the head or their throat cut. Women get hung spread eagle upside down in front of their female friends and sawed down the middle, or their breasts cut off and poo poo.

I’m not spoiler tagging that nonsense.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Terrifier was legit one of the most frustrating movies I've watched in a hot minute, because you can see the bones of something good (Art the Clown is a great antagonist), but the entire end-product is so tryhard that it kind of just comes off as something a high schooler would have written. The aforementioned explicit female-centric violence is emblematic of that. It's a movie that should be fun but was literally too stupid for me to enjoy.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Fart City posted:

Terrifier was legit one of the most frustrating movies I've watched in a hot minute, because you can see the bones of something good (Art the Clown is a great antagonist), but the entire end-product is so tryhard that it kind of just comes off as something a high schooler would have written. The aforementioned explicit female-centric violence is emblematic of that. It's a movie that should be fun but was literally too stupid for me to enjoy.

You can see slivers of what it could’ve been at times (the bathroom before they show what he did in there. The pre-killing behaviour. The gun.) but then you realise those glimmers are flukes and the thing is just trash.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Wasn't there another clown based horror film/short in an anthology that was even more hyper violent to women? I remember I think it was HUNDU mentioning it and that scene in terrifier reminded me of it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Terrifier came off as more of an effects showcase than anything else to me, but I really hated it

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Zwabu posted:

Yeah if you're into Weird World War II stuff it's awesome. If you ever played the Wolfenstein games that have a theme of horrible Nazi experimentation to create supersoldiers, this is like the exact movie of that.

I think a lot of people are frustrated because they wanted it to turn into Red Snow 2 in the third act, but instead the structure remains that of a war movie, despite the insane poo poo happening. And it's a drat good one.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

OldTennisCourt posted:

Wasn't there another clown based horror film/short in an anthology that was even more hyper violent to women? I remember I think it was HUNDU mentioning it and that scene in terrifier reminded me of it.

It’d be funny if you’re talking about All Hallows’ Eve, which is the anthology in which the Art character first appeared.

I have not seen it.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Dissapointed Owl posted:

It’d be funny if you’re talking about All Hallows’ Eve, which is the anthology in which the Art character first appeared.

I have not seen it.

I just read it on wikipedia and you're 100 percent correct and it was All Hallows Eve. The scene in particular is loving vile.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Terrifier came off as more of an effects showcase than anything else to me, but I really hated it

Absolutely, but like, for all the prosthetic work they do the entire film is trapped under that lovely baby's first film grain filter.

Sorry friends, Terrifier sucks. It's not good.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

OldTennisCourt posted:

I just read it on wikipedia and you're 100 percent correct and it was All Hallows Eve. The scene in particular is loving vile.

YOU JUST KEEP HITTING THOSE HOMERUNS... *looks up director* DAMIEN LEONE!

Bonus lol:

quote:

FANGORIA: “Terrifier,” which is the movie’s third segment, is really all about Art, and gives him some personality—which, it turns out, is really horrible.

LEONE: [Laughs] I just want to tell you right now that I love women! I’m not a misogynist or anything.

FANGORIA: Don’t worry, I didn’t think you were! In fact, I just thought Art was a misogynist.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 26, 2018

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Can we take Art the Clown away from his creator and put him in better films?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

TheKingslayer posted:

Again, Jigsaw.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Burkion posted:

Can we take Art the Clown away from his creator and put him in better films?

We horror thread regulars can all get together and piece together a fan film, "Our Terrifier Movie". Alternate title: "All Hallow's Spook-a-Doodle"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I didn’t think deeply enough about Terrifier to call it “vile”, but I would definitely call it shallow. Once you strip the extremely talented special effects, the actual plot and non-Art acting is pretty worthless and generic.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

who the gently caress watches terrifier expecting plot or characters or anything other than an sfx showcase? that's like watching august underground for the cinematography

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kvlt! posted:

who the gently caress watches terrifier expecting plot or characters or anything other than an sfx showcase? that's like watching august underground for the cinematography

I go into any movie I haven’t heard of blind and judging it against everything else I’ve seen. I watched it for the horror challenge without knowing anything except that it popped up on Netflix while searching for my next entry.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

well that's fair

i've said it before and I've said it again: terrifier sucked because it had blood as this viscous pitch-black syrup. unless they live an an alternative world where humans have motor oil for blood it just wasn't even semi-realistic.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Terrifier is just lazy and lacks creativity. The reason it comes off like a sfx showcase is because it's written like an anthology, except it's just different scenarios where Art the Clown butchers some people. If you want to do a slasher featuring Art the Clown, that's fine but then you should actually go to the trouble of writing a full script with characters that interact aka a real movie screenplay. If you're gonna do 15 minute vignettes then people expect some interesting ideas and premises beyond the same clown stalking and killing people over and over.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Terrifier sucked because the entire movie is a slight-of-hand magic trick. It uses its practical effects and general aesthetics to lure you into thinking it’s worthwhile, but ultimately leaves you frustrated and feeling like you have wasted your time. It’s greatest jump scare arguably comes in the form of realizing a bunch of talented people committed themselves to realizing a Slipknot album cover drawn in a spiral bound notebook.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Fart City posted:

The trailer is set to "I Got 5 On It," so my theory is Nyong'o's trauma was a miscarriage or something, and there is a another doppelganger we haven't seen yet that will bring the family number up to five in total

Interesting, but I think it's just a song about weed made to sound creepy.

I hope the film is about buying weed somehow.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

s.i.r.e. posted:

Interesting, but I think it's just a song about weed made to sound creepy.

I hope the film is about buying weed somehow.

The whole movie is just an extended riff on the “parents smoke weed when the kids go to sleep” trope (see: Poltergeist, Eyes Wide Shut)

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think my favorite thing about the Us trailer is that you spend the whole trailer getting a grasp on just what the movie will be about, only to get to the last 15 seconds and it goes "oh by the way, RABBITS! Important enough to be part of the logo!!"

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

CelticPredator posted:

There’s a sorta interesting podcast with Adam Green and Joe Lynch where they talk about making films and being a filmmaker, but Adam Green talks way too much about himself and rarely lets the subject say much. Kinda sucks.

Was really interested in hearing what Alex Aja had to say about his career but most of it was Green’s antidotes.

The Movie Crypt,they generally get really good interesting guests but Green does have a bad habit of making it about himself.
The Podcast is saved by Lynch’s general likeablity so it’s still worth a listen, its weird that when I first got into the podcast Green was probably the more successful filmmaker of the two but since then Lynch has made several decent films.

If you haven’t seen Green’s TV show Holliston though please change that ASAP especially the first season, it’s a sitcom about two struggling horror film-makers who share a flat and make advertisements for local business’ its full of horror references, is genuinely funny and heartwarming.
It also features Dee Snider playing their boss and Oderus Urungus from Gwar as greens imaginary friend (he is excellent in this role).

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Coffee And Pie posted:

I was tweeting about this the other day, why is nobody able to come up with a new memorable slasher villain? The last one I can think of was Scream, 20 years ago.

I'm into the dumb baby mask from Happy Death Day

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

So at the family Christmas gathering we were watching Rick and Morty and my nephew asked "Why does he call them Cronenbergs?"

This is gonna be fun.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

So at the family Christmas gathering we were watching Rick and Morty and my nephew asked "Why does he call them Cronenbergs?"

This is gonna be fun.

Watched The Dead Zone with my girlfriend and she said, “I’ve never heard of this director. Wanna see more of his stuff.”

We watched The Fly afterward. She’s all Cronenberg’d out now.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

OldTennisCourt posted:

I like slasher and gore but Victor Crowly has two dudes get murdered super quick and then a woman has her fingers chopped off, thrown spread eagle in a dress on the ground, her arm and leg brutally sawed off and then her faces smashed into the mud and her head cut off.

The original, at least, is not that over-the-top. The kills are batshit when they happen, but the pacing and structure is standard slasher.

Kvlt! posted:

Honestly I think this is probably Terrifier's biggest issue, though: it wants to be a real movie most of the time, but then it hard left turns into the type of movie you're talking about for the kills. And it's actually weirdly impressive when it's trying to be a real movie. It's just that it can't stop shooting itself in the foot by going Full AU.

I'm not really against hardcore gore SFX showcases, even if they're not my bag, but Terrifier is a movie that's being pulled hard in two wildly different directions, and it hurts the overall picture.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Dec 26, 2018

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
The Strangers

++

Invasion of the Bodysnachers

==

Us

Spoiler Guess: I think it’s an evolution of the technology introduced in the film Get Out. That you can transfer your consciousness into another person’s body. The tech evolves further when they start making custom designed fake bodies for your consciousness to inhabit, ghost in the shell style.

So you have a white Family beaming their consciousness into GITS style bodies, that happen to be identical to the family next door. Their plan is too kill them off and live their lives.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I didn’t think deeply enough about Terrifier to call it “vile”, but I would definitely call it shallow. Once you strip the extremely talented special effects, the actual plot and non-Art acting is pretty worthless and generic.

There are a lot of slashers that fit this description. Terrifier is as brainless as any 80’s slasher boom cash in, thats what I liked about it. I certainly understand calling it shallow and misogynistic, but it’s a straight to Netflix clown murder movie. I’m not sure where the difference is between that movie and The Mutilator, which has far worse acting, good gore effects, and a grotesque scene that rivals anything in Terrifier. I’m not sure I can fault a slasher for having it’s killer terrorize a bunch of women either, frankly. The genre was broadly condemned for being misogynistic until Carol Clover rehabilitated it.

Kvlt! posted:

well that's fair

i've said it before and I've said it again: terrifier sucked because it had blood as this viscous pitch-black syrup. unless they live an an alternative world where humans have motor oil for blood it just wasn't even semi-realistic.

Evil Dead 2?

??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Was the original casting of Dennis Quaid his idea?

No, this was at least 10 years before. Total Recall spent a very long time in development hell. Dan O'Bannon had some unbelievable poo poo for luck in that regard; if Screamers had been made when he wrote it, it would have been in cinemas before Blade Runner.