Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the 2019 World Junior Championship
This poll is closed.
:canada: 19 46.34%
:911: 7 17.07%
:sweden: 1 2.44%
:finland: 5 12.20%
:ussr: 0 0%
:denmark: 2 4.88%
Slovakia 0 0%
Switzerland 0 0%
Czech Republic 1 2.44%
Kazakhstan 6 14.63%
Total: 41 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
Welcome to the 2019 IIHF World Junior Championship thread!

This year's tournament is co-hosted by Vancouver and Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Venues:

Rogers Arena, Vancouver
Capacity 18,910

(Hosting Group A games, two quarter-final games, both semi-final games, bronze medal game, gold medal game)

Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre, Victoria
Capacity 7,006

(Hosting Group B games, two quarter-final games)

Rosters

Group A - Vancouver (click for rosters):

Group B - Victoria (click for rosters):

Schedules:

Group A - Vancouver(click for format):

Group B - Victoria (click for format):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
(reserved)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

one of the Kazak players has a wikipedia entry, i like their chances.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

It’s the most wonderful time of the year! I don’t have to talk to my mongoloid cousins because they’re big hockey nerds too so we just sit around the TV in silence

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I kinda wish the US just took the entire U18 team instead as that team is insane.

But this team is also good and I like their chances

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Thanks for making the thread this year, I didn't get around to doing a huge effort post this year.

I think this is going to be a great tournament. Both groups are fairly even and I have a gut feeling we're looking at another USA-Canada gold medal game. Canada is probably the favorite this year, the dark horse to unseat them is going to be the opposite group. USA or Finland, in my opinion.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Have we mentioned how awesome Quinn Hughes is yet?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Canucks fans should be watching the US with interest and praying they blow the rest of the season for a Hughes brothers reunion in Vancouver for the foreseeable future.

Quinn is nasty. Great skater, great vision. He'll never be a physical guy at his size but I think he could be a Torey Krug kind of player which would be a huge boon for Vancouver.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
QUINN

HUGHES

My town hosted the Kazakhstan team for their pre-tournament practices and exhibitions and when we did radio broadcasts for the games they gave us pre-game interviews while the Swiss team didn't. My takeaway from this is I hope the Swiss get relegated and Kazakhstan don't.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
For CAS, overshadowed by Hughes is Tyler Madden who is also a Canucks prospect (2018 68th o/a) that made a deep and good U.S. team. I'll be keen to watch him in this tournament as well. I have the full tournament package to all the games in Victoria, so I'm going to a fuckton of hockey over the next couple weeks.

Oh and sorry Isles fans, I was at the Canada-Slovakia pre-tournament game on Wednesday and Noah Dobson played like absolute trash

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

goldrush posted:

For CAS, overshadowed by Hughes is Tyler Madden who is also a Canucks prospect (2018 68th o/a) that made a deep and good U.S. team. I'll be keen to watch him in this tournament as well. I have the full tournament package to all the games in Victoria, so I'm going to a fuckton of hockey over the next couple weeks.

Also Michael DiPietro is the goalie for Canada and probably the best goalie in the tournament BUT NEVER MIND THAT poo poo HERE COMES QUINN HUGHES

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I feel like Canada's team might be the best they've had in a while, but I also feel like the tournament has been very unmemorable for a while. Hopefully something will happen to restore interest this year, especially if that involves humiliating the jingoists.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Nick Suzuki, you're my only hope.

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity
Finland has rarely won against Canada on any level as comprehensively and convinxingly as just in the pretournament game. Whether that moves on at all to the real tournament will be seen and this might help Canada a lot more in the end.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Hand Knit posted:

I feel like Canada's team might be the best they've had in a while, but I also feel like the tournament has been very unmemorable for a while. Hopefully something will happen to restore interest this year, especially if that involves humiliating the jingoists.

Yea i don’t think I’ve been this disinterested in the world juniors since the year before ovi was in it cuz i was too young to gaf

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

heeheex2 posted:

Yea i don’t think I’ve been this disinterested in the world juniors since the year before ovi was in it cuz i was too young to gaf

I seem to remember from last year that this isn’t just us, and WJHC interest has dropped a fair bit.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Last year's tournament was a down year imo, but I think the tournament has been just as good or better than it always has been the last few years.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
One of the problems was they kept holding the World Juniors in the Buffalo/Toronto area so the crowds were kinda underwhelming because people stopped going.

I think Victoria and Vancouver will come through.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

The last time I really cared about the World Juniors a lot was 2015, since future Edmonton Oiler Connor McDavid was on Team Canada along with Nurse, Lazar (:smith:) and others. Last 3 tourneys I've more or less been indifferent to it for most games.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Yaya posted:

One of the problems was they kept holding the World Juniors in the Buffalo/Toronto area so the crowds were kinda underwhelming because people stopped going.

god, I hate how USA Hockey dropped the ball on last year. they had Pittsburgh (which they've done a lot of USHL things recently in, plus Erie and Johnstown are two excellent jr hockey towns within a short drive) and St Louis (non-traditional market, two good arenas, great hockey culture) as host finalists, but NO BUFFALO UNDERSTANDS HOCKEY MORE THAN YOU OUTDOOR GAME #BILLSMAFIA JERSEYS OUTDOOR GAME!

plus, because of the focus on #BILLSMAFIA OUTDOOR GAME! they screwed up the ticketing process for the other games, meaning that HSBC Arena was at best half-full for most games.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I feel like none of the rosters wowed me last year, it was just a bad year for the tournament overall. I mostly only hone in on team USA and this is one of the more fun rosters I've seen recently. A lot of good players top to bottom with top prospects for quite a few NHL teams, and then you have Jack Hughes who's a probable top two pick and Spencer Knight, one of the best goalie prospects in the last decade or so.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Yaya posted:

In toronto the ticket prices were obscene and the venue was awful. Not surprised nobody wanted to go.

I paid $120 to sit in the very top row for a round-robin game at the ACC and have my view obstructed by the press box. Who the hell designed that?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

fisting by many posted:

In toronto the ticket prices were obscene and the venue was awful. Not surprised nobody wanted to go.

I paid $120 to sit in the very top row for a round-robin game at the ACC and have my view obstructed by the press box. Who the hell designed that?

It was also the 3rd time in 4 years Toronto co-hosted so people were probably all world juniored out.

It's coming here in 2021 and we have a cozy little arena so it should be pretty good as long as they don't get silly with ticket prices. Rebels tickets against the glass are like $20.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I don't follow the World Juniors that closely, but don't Canada and the US usually always play in the same Group? Has it changed this year?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Twin Cinema posted:

I don't follow the World Juniors that closely, but don't Canada and the US usually always play in the same Group? Has it changed this year?

no, it's just happened to work out that way in the past few years. I really have no idea how the seeding works for the preliminary round and I'm not having luck finding any information.

It is pretty rare that it doesn't happen though. Last time USA and Canada weren't in the same group was 2011.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
drat, was hoping to see Canada face off against the Hughes brothers. Guess I'll hope for them to face off at some point.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
The World Juniors peaked when Kazakhstan beat Canada in like the 7th place game in 1999 or whenever it was. Been all downhill ever since.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Jamwad Hilder posted:

no, it's just happened to work out that way in the past few years. I really have no idea how the seeding works for the preliminary round and I'm not having luck finding any information.

Excluding last year (where the organizers had Canada and USA in the same group on purpose for the outdoor game), group seeding uses the previous tournament's standings like this:

Group A:
1st place
4th place
5th place
8th place
9th place

Group B:
2nd place
3rd place
6th place
7th place
Promoted team from Div I

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Ivan Vereshagin made Team Kazakhstan's final team which I normally wouldn't care about but he wears number 69 and I think that's very funny.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Kilza posted:

Excluding last year (where the organizers had Canada and USA in the same group on purpose for the outdoor game), group seeding uses the previous tournament's standings like this:

Group A:
1st place
4th place
5th place
8th place
9th place

Group B:
2nd place
3rd place
6th place
7th place
Promoted team from Div I

thanks for clearing it up. I knew it was some nonsense.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Fuckin Denmark spelled their own name wrong on their flag. Good job, "Danmark," you stupid fucks.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Do we think Canada wins against Denmark tomorrow by a dozen goals or only 10

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
USA Captain Mikey Anderson is going to loving destroy everybody.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
gord and ray calling some hockey, tis the season :canada:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If everybody is just gonna be white and red, Canada should go back to green.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

fits posted:

gord and ray calling some hockey, tis the season :canada:

I’m dreading who is gonna call the regional TSN NHL games during the WJCs

Also both Hughes bros are a delight to watch play hockey

The Dirty Burger fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 27, 2018

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
Morgan Frost

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Poor Danmark. They look like high school kids (which they probably are)

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Stop they're already dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Fuckin Denmark spelled their own name wrong on their flag. Good job, "Danmark," you stupid fucks.

Does anyone have a screenshot of this or know when it happened?