Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Only physical media I got was Shout! Factory's Ernie Kovacs megaset (the Vol. 1 and 2 sets combined into slim packaging) on DVD, but I have $125 in Amazon gift cards to use.

(Plus Lil Mama's secret santa gift of Eisenstein's Battleship Potemkin and Strike on Blu-ray :ussr: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Big Mean Jerk posted:

A friend also got me Master of Monsters, a book about Eiji Tsubaraya, the man behind the Godzilla SFX and Ultraman. It’s pretty great.

That book loving rules and has some incredible photos.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I, Butthole posted:

That book loving rules and has some incredible photos.

It really does. The only downside is that it mentions tons of movies he worked on that sound incredible, but I keep looking them up and finding out they’ve either never had a US/UK release or they have but it’s some incredibly edited version.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Are we posting christmas hauls?

My dear Mama, bless her heart, gave me cash and told me to go hog wild.

Battle Creek Brawl (88 Films)
Cops vs Thugs (Arrow)
Dragon Fist (88 Films)
Heathers (Arrow)
Horror Express (Arrow)
The Manchurian Candidate (Arrow)
The Piano: 25th Anniversary Edition (Studio Canal)
Rififi (Arrow)
Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin (88 Films)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2 (Arrow)
To Kill with Intrigue (88 Films)

And I've just pre-ordered the Ring box set from Arrow.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 26, 2018

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I was surprisingly frugal this time around. Only picked up:

Carl Theodor Dreyer Collection (BFI)
F for Fake (Criterion)
The Human Condition (Arrow)
Napoleon (BFI)

I was thinking about buying Arrow's The Night of the Hunter as well, but supposedly it's inferior to the Criterion transfer, so I might just hold out for a Region B release of that instead.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Does anyone know if The Duellists will ever come back out from being OOP? Both the blu-ray and the DVD are way too expensive. Ideally I'd love to see a brand new master of it, of course.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
The only Blu-ray I got is the Scream Factory double feature of Vampire’s Kiss/High Spirits, lol

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

I was surprisingly frugal this time around. Only picked up:

Carl Theodor Dreyer Collection (BFI)
F for Fake (Criterion)
The Human Condition (Arrow)
Napoleon (BFI)

I was thinking about buying Arrow's The Night of the Hunter as well, but supposedly it's inferior to the Criterion transfer, so I might just hold out for a Region B release of that instead.

They use the same transfer and Criterion has more extras. Both have the Charles Laughton Directs The Night of the Hunter doc, Stanley Cortez interview, and trailer. Criterion adds a making-of doc, Simon Callow interview, Robert Gitt interview on Charles Laughton Directs..., clip from The Ed Sullivan Show featuring the cast, and an episode of BBC's Moving Pictures on the film. Arrow's only exclusives are what seems to be a more substantial booklet, a 5.1 remix, and music/effects track.

Napoleon is such an amazing release considering how long it had been unavailable. Definitely watch it all the way through again with Paul Cuff's commentary because he not only goes over background on the film, he talks a lot about actual historical basis of scenes.

codyclarke posted:

Does anyone know if The Duellists will ever come back out from being OOP? Both the blu-ray and the DVD are way too expensive. Ideally I'd love to see a brand new master of it, of course.

It was a one-off license with Paramount. I think it likely went OOP because Warner Home Video took over distribution of Paramount's library for a few years, but that ended a year or two ago. A lot of people have been asking for a new Paramount deal because there's a huge amount of essential titles that haven't been upgraded from DVD - many aren't even in print anymore.

Kino Lorber and Olive Films have been licensing a ton of unreleased-on-DVD stuff from Paramount, largely from the Republic library. Though, I think the only exception was Olive handling a Blu-ray of 1900, which Paramount had released on DVD.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Dec 26, 2018

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

gey muckle mowser posted:

The only Blu-ray I got is the Scream Factory double feature of Vampire’s Kiss/High Spirits, lol

Niccccce...

I only asked for and received Shout Factory's Get a Life set, even if that show is hitting a little too close to home these days :(

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I didn't get anything too obscure.
Die Hard UHD
Predator 3 Film Collection UHD
The Princess Bride Criterion

Also bought Gremlins on BR for myself. Showed it to my mom, she didn't like it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

Niccccce...

I only asked for and received Shout Factory's Get a Life set, even if that show is hitting a little too close to home these days :(

Whoa whoa whoa, they released the whole series?! Holy poo poo I need to get that. I was so bummed that the only DVD release was just a handful of episodes on two discs for the longest time.

Though to be fair, they did include my favorite episode on those discs, the one with Spewey.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I received the Mel Brooks blu ray collection as a Christmas gift. The hardback book that came with it is pretty nice. And I realized that outside of Spaceballs, Blazing Saddles, and Robinhood, Mel Brooks has quite a few movies I haven't seen.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I got American Psycho 4K and a new TV to watch it on.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Casimir Radon posted:

Predator 3 Film Collection UHD

I am very curious about the quality of the transfers on this one. I assume OG Predator is the same as the standalone UHD, but it would be good to know about the quality of the other two.

I guess the price point just makes me worry that the sequels are rush jobs.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

I am very curious about the quality of the transfers on this one. I assume OG Predator is the same as the standalone UHD, but it would be good to know about the quality of the other two.

I guess the price point just makes me worry that the sequels are rush jobs.

From what I've read Predator 2 is on par with the original in terms of the transfer being pretty drat good. It's an older movie so it was obviously shot on film, which means yea it probably is going to feel more natural than the blu ray and I can see the HDR really being a big boost to the bizarro L.A. setting.

Predators is just an upscale of a digital intermediary, at least I believe that is the case. So all you're getting there is a small bump in detail and then whatever color boost you may or may not get from HDR. But it takes place in the jungle so I dunno maybe the HDR really is a difference maker there.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

From what I've read Predator 2 is on par with the original in terms of the transfer being pretty drat good. It's an older movie so it was obviously shot on film, which means yea it probably is going to feel more natural than the blu ray and I can see the HDR really being a big boost to the bizarro L.A. setting.

Predators is just an upscale of a digital intermediary, at least I believe that is the case. So all you're getting there is a small bump in detail and then whatever color boost you may or may not get from HDR. But it takes place in the jungle so I dunno maybe the HDR really is a difference maker there.

Ok, cool, Predator 2 was really the only thing I was worried about. I really don't care about Predators, I've seen it twice, and I don't remember anything other than Eric Foreman really can't play a villian. You'd think they would have learned after Spiderman 3.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

Ok, cool, Predator 2 was really the only thing I was worried about. I really don't care about Predators, I've seen it twice, and I don't remember anything other than Eric Foreman really can't play a villian. You'd think they would have learned after Spiderman 3.

Yea reading the review that's on bluray.com, apparently the regular blu ray suffers from some of the same thing Predator did(although I guess not quite as bad) where it's just too smooth with overuse of DNR. The UHD brings back the grain and also there's a lot of really stylish lighting in Predator 2 that I imagine really pops with HDR.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I kinda over splurged this year. I don’t want to post a mile long list, but I was very happy to get all 4 of the Vinegar Syndrome 5 years sets, a lot of Arrow titles, and so many 4K titles from Best Buy. Now to wait for the next round of sales to buy more crap!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Has anyone here encountered issues playing Criterions on a region-free player? I got a new LG region-free 4k blu player for Christmas that works fine with everything except Region A Criterion blu-rays. US DVDs, US BDs, 4K, UK BDs, they all work without issue. But any Criterion disc inserted gets a “Region Mismatch” error and refuses to play. Curiously, it also did the same for Interstellar, a Region A Paramount release. Do certain studios have some kind of encoding that prevents them from working on Region-Free players?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Has anyone here encountered issues playing Criterions on a region-free player? I got a new LG region-free 4k blu player for Christmas that works fine with everything except Region A Criterion blu-rays. US DVDs, US BDs, 4K, UK BDs, they all work without issue. But any Criterion disc inserted gets a “Region Mismatch” error and refuses to play. Curiously, it also did the same for Interstellar, a Region A Paramount release. Do certain studios have some kind of encoding that prevents them from working on Region-Free players?

Some players that let you choose which region have different settings for DVD and Blu regions - are you sure you've set the region for the right set of discs? It sounds realoy obvious but I did the exact same thing with my first region free player and got incredibly frustrated before realising what I (hadn't) done.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

On mine, the blue button sets it to Region B and it's easy to accidentally press it. Just make sure you press the yellow button a few times before loading an A disc.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
https://twitter.com/ArrowFilmsVideo/status/1079829545312649216

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Well it's about time.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Like i said before, why will this one be better than the unrated one that came out in 2014?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Like i said before, why will this one be better than the unrated one that came out in 2014?

My guess is that they'll have both the MGM and Criterion commentaries, probably more deleted footage (only 2 1/2 min appear on MGM's edition), as well as multiple versions. Likely include the theatrical, unrated, and television cuts. Plus a substantial book/booklet.

Or could even be their first UHD release.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gotcha. Might be worth it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

Or could even be their first UHD release.

Have they already said they're getting into that? Because if so I'm about to start buying a lot more Arrow releases.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I’ll probably pick it up no matter what because I love me some ROBOCOP and Arrow does some good rear end work.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I just hope that RoboCop is a US release. If not, I hope that Criterion get it back on Blu.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Ooooooooooooooooh yeah

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Liar Lyre posted:

I just hope that RoboCop is a US release. If not, I hope that Criterion get it back on Blu.

People were getting Robocop and Cruising postcards in their US releases.

Which also means Arrow made a deal with Warner Bros. for the latter.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Egbert Souse posted:

People were getting Robocop and Cruising postcards in their US releases.

Which also means Arrow made a deal with Warner Bros. for the latter.

Nice! I was just about to buy another copy, so this is perfect timing.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Don't care so much about Robocop since I already have the remastered MGM disc (but let's see what they end up doing). I'm interested in what they do with "Cruising", hell, maybe they somehow found the missing footage.

Also, I would like to thank Arrow. I just got my December order from them today and they decided to gift me with 3 extra movies for free (probably to fill out the weight of the package). Still, thanks.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Didn’t we have a discussion earlier about how these smaller shops can’t/won’t do UHD? I thought there was some licensing thing combined with the even smaller market that makes it financially unviable.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

david_a posted:

Didn’t we have a discussion earlier about how these smaller shops can’t/won’t do UHD? I thought there was some licensing thing combined with the even smaller market that makes it financially unviable.

That's probably the case, it just sucks. Nowadays I'm hesitant to buy anything other than UHD because it's just an inferior experience.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

david_a posted:

I could see something like Robocop making sense as a 4K debut, as opposed to Criterion trying to justify a Bergman 4K film. Robocop certainly has a lot more cachet as a seller (especially as Predator has done fairly well) and more so as a deluxe reissue than 4K Persona.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I for one am pumped about Robert Cop!

In other news, Vinegar Syndrome quietly announced another movie for the January batch, "Bloody New Year"

It's not part of the January package, but is part of the yearly package.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

UK Amazon cancelled my Zatoichi order. :(

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

I, Butthole posted:

I could see something like Robocop making sense as a 4K debut, as opposed to Criterion trying to justify a Bergman 4K film. Robocop certainly has a lot more cachet as a seller (especially as Predator has done fairly well) and more so as a deluxe reissue than 4K Persona.

It's just hard for me to imagine the math working for the smaller companies. Like, you either have to include a UHD disc in every case along with the regular blu ray, OR you sell two different versions of the same movie. Both options mean more cost for potentially not very much extra return. I mean, yea you can charge a bit more for UHD but I'm not sure they'd sell enough of them to justify it. Maybe in some very special cases like Robocop it makes sense but you don't get into UHD just to release a single film in the format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Not that I want them to raise prices, but I think boutique sellers' bread and butter is people who would buy their poo poo regardless, although most people here seem to wait for sales so I dunno how much stock they end up moving at full price.