Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Did my flank today

Marinated for 24hrs
132° for 3hr
Seared with torch and cast iron together
Bias cut against grain

Topped with homemade chimchurri

Came out fantastic

Highly endorsed and would do again without a second thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Hasselblad posted:

I cannot wrap my head around SVing a salmon when I have a perfectly good smoker.

I too have never considered how to cook cabbage.
*looks at a sous vide, a grill, or nothing at all.*
Well gently caress you at all.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Lawnie posted:

I have a large, 4.5 pound beef tenderloin to cook on Christmas. Planning on doing SV for half and a more traditional oven preparation for the other half. I found a chef steps SV technique that has you sear first, then SV, and sear again to finish. Anyone ever done it this way before? Feels very weird to me to have an initial sear before cooking in the bag, like it’s going to prohibit getting a nice crust later.

Would skip the oven part entirely. Sear, puddle, sear works fine.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Nephzinho posted:

Would skip the oven part entirely. Sear, puddle, sear works fine.

I have some well-done wanters in the house otherwise I’d do the whole thing SV.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Lawnie posted:

:sever:

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Well-done via SV (ie: 155 or even 165) is surprisingly good, in all honesty. Dunno if I'd try it with a whole roast as a first shot, but I did some experiments with smaller portions and it was still really juicy and flavorful.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Dewgy posted:

Well-done via SV (ie: 155 or even 165) is surprisingly good, in all honesty. Dunno if I'd try it with a whole roast as a first shot, but I did some experiments with smaller portions and it was still really juicy and flavorful.

Yeah but then you ruin the entire roast instead of just the part.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Lawnie posted:

I have a large, 4.5 pound beef tenderloin to cook on Christmas. Planning on doing SV for half and a more traditional oven preparation for the other half. I found a chef steps SV technique that has you sear first, then SV, and sear again to finish. Anyone ever done it this way before? Feels very weird to me to have an initial sear before cooking in the bag, like it’s going to prohibit getting a nice crust later.

Somebody (Kenji, probably?) did some testing on pre-sear vs. post-sear and found the difference negligible, so I wouldn't worry about the pre-sear.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Buy a cheap chunk of eye of round, cook that thing to well done and just stick it next to the delicious tenderloin and tell them you chopped off a portion and made it well done for them. I bet they wouldn't know the difference, savages.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

couldcareless posted:

Buy a cheap chunk of eye of round, cook that thing to well done and just stick it next to the delicious tenderloin and tell them you chopped off a portion and made it well done for them. I bet they wouldn't know the difference, savages.

This, except actually do it that way. If there are ever big differences in done-ness for guests I will either cook it right and they can eat something else, or get a separate cut to butcher. Depends on how much I like the guest.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

couldcareless posted:

You could probably SV the eye of round the night before, like 8 or 12 hours to break it down a bit and then roast the gently caress out of it right before serving.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

couldcareless posted:

This will also have the side effect of making a fairly decent eye of round.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I got souls vide for Xmas how do I use this

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

barkbell posted:

slowly

Hauki
May 11, 2010

soulfully

Development
Jun 2, 2016

barkbell posted:

get a clear container and enjoy your new meatquarium

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

barkbell posted:

Put it in the tub and have a nice heated bath.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

barkbell posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Goons With Sporks > This is the dark sous of cooking

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Argue posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Goons With Sporks > This is the dark sous of cooking

“You Vide...”

In other news my Christmas dinner of 6 SV Maine Lobster tails, honey balsamic Brussels sprouts and a mixed green salad was a hit. (As was my brunch today of lobster eggs Benedict.) (I also made Hollandaise for the firs time. Woot!)

5 lobsters were perfect, 1 lobster literally disintegrated to the touch. I wonder if they have the same issue as shrimp do with the chemicals that release from the head, etc.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Finished product:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
That looks very nice, but the brown rim is slightly thicker than I'm used to. Is that from the pre-sear? I have never done one.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Nah, I didn’t pre-sear. Probably just didn’t have a hot enough cast iron when I did the post-sear.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Anyone have reccomendations for cuts of meat that do particularly well with ~8-10hr cooking times? I'd love to have a few cuts in my back pocket to toss into the bath before work and have a nice steak ready to roll when I get home from work.

Obviously I can find stuff and tweak to get close; but if there's something that's perfect in that window that'd be ideal.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I did a smithfield ham sous vide for xmas. This is a salt cured and smoked country ham, which is traditionally soaked in water 12+ hours then baked or boiled to an internal temp of 160*. To mix it up, and absent any kind of trip report from anyone else, I cooked it sous-vide in a 160 degree bath until the center by the bone just got to temp, overnight, then finished it in the oven. I'd debated trying a lower temp for longer but decided against it, given that I was already in uncharted territory and didn't want to end up with a weird texture, and this was a good move I think. The result, at 160, is a ham that has the look, texture, and juiciness of a normal ham, not crumbly but almost falling apart along the fat seams, with all the flavor of a smithfield ham (I did a 24 hour soak as well, over the recommended 12-18 hours, so it's not too overwhelmingly salty). Everyone agreed it was the next level of country ham, in a Virginia family with strong redneck roots that knows its country ham.

*I don't know why. They're produced similarly to expensive european cured hams, but everyone says they have to be (soaked and) cooked to 160 internal, and nobody on the internet will even discuss why this is, or take a stab at slicing it raw to see how it turns out, even in articles comparing it directly to other cured hams. I have a hunch that this is just the FDA ruining everything like they do with eggnog and cookie dough.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 26, 2018

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Walked posted:

Anyone have reccomendations for cuts of meat that do particularly well with ~8-10hr cooking times? I'd love to have a few cuts in my back pocket to toss into the bath before work and have a nice steak ready to roll when I get home from work.

Obviously I can find stuff and tweak to get close; but if there's something that's perfect in that window that'd be ideal.

I did a London broil top round for 12 hours and it turned out fine, just stick with a cheap lean cut - I wouldn't risk wasting a good marbled cut on a cook that long

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

I sous vizzled a regular boring costco ham at 145 and then made my own glaze (balsamic, brown sugar, Curiosity Cola) and it was fan-freaking-tastic.

No pictures as it was halfway devoured before I thought about it.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do
I did 10 pounds of brisket for 36 hours at 155 and then finished it off for 3 hours in the smoker at ~250. I started doing brisket like that earlier this year and I'm having a hard time going back to a smoker-only approach.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Relentless posted:

I sous vizzled a regular boring costco ham at 145 and then made my own glaze (balsamic, brown sugar, Curiosity Cola) and it was fan-freaking-tastic.

No pictures as it was halfway devoured before I thought about it.

I went 140 for 3hrs on ours, not a fan of balsamic, so I just went with brown sugar, pineapple juice, and honey with some cinnamon that I kept brushing on every 20 min when finishing in the oven at 500.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

ada shatan posted:

I did 10 pounds of brisket for 36 hours at 155 and then finished it off for 3 hours in the smoker at ~250. I started doing brisket like that earlier this year and I'm having a hard time going back to a smoker-only approach.

I need to get down on one of these already. Do you find the time in the smoker allows for some good bark and flavor? Do you reapply rub in between the sous vide and smoker step, or just pat dry and toss it in?

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

qutius posted:

I need to get down on one of these already. Do you find the time in the smoker allows for some good bark and flavor? Do you reapply rub in between the sous vide and smoker step, or just pat dry and toss it in?

The bark was pretty good, although as expected not quite as great as doing a full smoke. The flavor was spot on though, and I even managed to get a smoke ring on it to add to the aesthetic.

When I pulled the brisket from the bath I patted it down and reapplied the rub. With the timing of things I also ended up letting it rest in the fridge for a couple of hours, which had no negative effects to speak of.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Wife wanted Duck Breast for Christmas dinner. Lucky us, the grocery only had whole ducks. Que me parting out the ducks on Christmas. Luckily I got a Joule for Christmas and had a brilliant plan.

Cooked the Duck Breasts as originally intended on Christmas and bagged the quarters with some salt and fresh rosemary and tossed them in a 149F puddle overnight. Plastic Wrap over the pot to reduce/eliminate evaporation worked absolutely perfectly. Pulled them and seared in a screaming hot cast iron (I should have used the broiler to get better crispy skin I think) for lunch today. Got excited to dig in so no money shot but long story short, the Wife asked me to make a list of other stuff I wanted to try. :dance:

Thanks for the primer and confidence to just give it a shot without any real prep.

Speaking of prep, where do y'all think the best places to find ideas for what works especially well with sous vide?

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Zaepho posted:

Speaking of prep, where do y'all think the best places to find ideas for what works especially well with sous vide?

Serious Eats has a lot of fantastic recipes, but just for random inspiration, I recommend reading through Lifehacker's Will It Sous Vide articles. It covers very serious meat prep all the way to "I am snowed in and throwing random crap from my freezer into the puddler".

It makes an overcomplicated but fantastic hot pocket that doesn't burn the roof of your mouth.

https://lifehacker.com/c/will-it-sous-vide

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Lawnie posted:

Ask them politely, yet firmly, to leave.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Wife is happy with her new Joule.
- Named it Dr Sous
- Made 5-hour pork chops with garlic and rosemary

Really happy how it came out, but will have to be quicker with the splatter screen when I drop the meat into the cast iron.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
We received a Wancle Sous Vide for Christmas. Perfect gift idea but it seems to be a Chinese knockoff. It’s $89 on amazon and it appears a decent version of the Anova is the same price. Would it be a good idea to exchange it for the Anova? I’ve heard they are better about replacement parts and warranty and since it’s the same price... anybody have any experience with the Wancle, is it good enough?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

i gotta say, saying "wancle" aloud makes me think of some foot-themed sex toy

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Enderzero posted:

We received a Wancle Sous Vide for Christmas. Perfect gift idea but it seems to be a Chinese knockoff. It’s $89 on amazon and it appears a decent version of the Anova is the same price. Would it be a good idea to exchange it for the Anova? I’ve heard they are better about replacement parts and warranty and since it’s the same price... anybody have any experience with the Wancle, is it good enough?

I really find it funny that a few years ago there were basically 3 options, and one of them sucked. Now you have to wade through half a dozen knockoff brands before Anova comes up on Amazon.

Also, return it, and get a more trusted one that doesn't require you to keep whatever a Wancle is in your house.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Amazon is generally going down the drain woththe large number of weird chinese "brands" they allow on their store. I tried searching milk frothers or whatever you call them and I neveer heard of or would trust 9 out of 10 search result brands with weird names...

This has been an increasing problem with Amaton in general and I now buy my stuff local or elsewhere as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It's almost like the entirety of consumer goods and internet shopping is a high speed race to the bottom.