Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

American Catholics used to be hardline Democrats until the Moral Majority turned them into single issue voters against abortion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

grittyreboot posted:

American Catholics used to be hardline Democrats until the Moral Majority turned them into single issue voters against abortion.

There are a fuckload of Catholics among the Democrats though. And of the current senators, 25 are Catholic--16 of those are Dems.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Catholics are like Jews in that Republicans keep thinking they should vote GOP, but as a group they don’t vote Red any more than the regular population.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

mllaneza posted:

That show balances "risque" with "family friendly" in a way no other show could, or even attempted.

The Golden Girls did so many things on the reg that shows are just barely starting to explore now.

Like how the writers had it in their contract that they could do up to two "flashback" shows a year, which was standard. Gives writers a break in the middle of a hectic schedule: Just string together a threadbare plot and fill it out from past clips.

... Except almost all of the Golden Girls flashback episodes are 100% new and they just make up stuff that "happened in the past" and filmed it, complete with all new sets.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I just read it is a comparison that American Left and Right wing politics are fairly similar. Same way that different branches of Catholicism are pretty similar to an outsider.

The what now

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
Jesuits, Franciscans, Benedictines...

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I found it really off how, early on in the Venture Bros., Rusty discovers that his late-father hired an ex-boxer with dementia as a custodian for the family company decades ago. It's some guy who mumbles to himself and Rusty fires him because the company doesn't make poo poo. I may be okay with kids getting eaten offscreen as a joke, but any humour that makes light of mental health never lands for me.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I found it really off how, early on in the Venture Bros., Rusty discovers that his late-father hired an ex-boxer with dementia as a custodian for the family company decades ago. It's some guy who mumbles to himself and Rusty fires him because the company doesn't make poo poo. I may be okay with kids getting eaten offscreen as a joke, but any humour that makes light of mental health never lands for me.

The "joke" is that he was Rusty's Race Bannon equivalent, his brain destroyed by a life of getting head trauma with Jonas on adventures, plus possibly a life of boxing ala Muhammad Ali. I agree that it's mean-spirited and will continue to age poorly.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Those are just different focuses.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Literally every joke involving Rusty is "Rusty is a terrible person who treats everyone around him badly." The humor was pretty iffy at the time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And also 'Jonas Venture was an even more terrible person who leaves a trail of human wreckage wherever he went'.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Bugs Bunny has always been an rear end in a top hat but usually he does it in self-defense.

In the Wacky Wabbit though, Elmer Fudd isn't a hunter but a gold prospector. Not only does Bugs Bunny pick the fight with Elmer instead of the other way around but its heavily implied in the opening musical number that Elmer Fudd is planning on using the gold to purchase war bonds to help fight Nazi Germany.

Bugs Bunny is loving helping Hitler.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

True, but he also joined the marines and fought racist caricatures of the Japanese.

In conclusion, Bugs Bunny is a land of contrasts.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's one that has been aged badly by new information: the South Park episode where Cartman starts a boy band, he's trying to manufacture hype by telling the girls in school to scream like they've just seen Leonardo Dicaprio; they say they don't like Leonardo Dicaprio and when he asks who they do like, they say, "Matt Lauer." So he tells them to scream like they've just seen Matt Lauer.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Here's one that has been aged badly by new information: the South Park episode where Cartman starts a boy band, he's trying to manufacture hype by telling the girls in school to scream like they've just seen Leonardo Dicaprio; they say they don't like Leonardo Dicaprio and when he asks who they do like, they say, "Matt Lauer." So he tells them to scream like they've just seen Matt Lauer.

girls screaming at the sight of matt lauer sounds right to me

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

True, but he also joined the marines and fought racist caricatures of the Japanese.

In conclusion, Bugs Bunny is a land of contrasts.

Sounds like a typical McCarthyite to me. Went all in on hating the Japanese after Pearl Harbour, found anyone who didn't like Hitler before 11th December 1941 deeply suspicious.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Bugs Bunny is a trickster spirit of the land who tormented Fudd for trying to exploit the natural resources of the earth for mankind’s benefit (nature spirits don’t really care why the war or happening) and he went on to fight the Japanese because he is extremely racist

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I've finally caught up with this thread and just want to say I've enjoyed the venture bros discussion and clips posted so so much. I've always known of the existence of the show but never managed to see it other than the pilot someone showed me many years ago and I guess it was amusing but not enough to make me actually start watching it. Now I'm stoked to properly get into it cause the stuff with Shore Leave and the villain tryouts was just magical and I'm so excited to see them in proper context. I think the clip that ended with Lyndon Johnson in a bee striped tie holding a hawk who's "been waiting since sundown" was the clincher.

I apologise that this post doesn't actually add anything.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
The episode of seinfeld where Kramer says the n-word is fairly cringey now

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I find it hard to believe any episode of a sitcom starring child molester Jerry Seinfeld and his sidekick played by racist Michael Richards could possibly be uncomfortable to watch.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

Sunswipe posted:

I find it hard to believe any episode of a sitcom starring child molester Jerry Seinfeld and his sidekick played by racist Michael Richards could possibly be uncomfortable to watch.

I find it shallow and pedantic

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

ol yeller posted:

I find it shallow and pedantic

That was Peterific!

woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

All tv shows age at the same rate - that is, the speed of time

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

woozy pawsies posted:

Huh, interesting point. Unless anyone has any other input I'll close the thread.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

woozy pawsies posted:

What about this one?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
And we're back!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

christmas boots posted:

Bugs Bunny is a trickster spirit of the land who tormented Fudd for trying to exploit the natural resources of the earth for mankind’s benefit (nature spirits don’t really care why the war or happening) and he went on to fight the Japanese because he is extremely racist

I got the Looney Tunes Golden Collection boxset and was disappointed to find that the "I am Elmer J Fudd, millionaire. I own a mansion and a yacht." short isn't in the collection.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Drunk Nerds posted:

My wife just gave me my Christmas present early: Every season of the Golden Girls on DVD

I'm pleased to say that, so far (and barring that weird Mink episode), despite the fact that it's the most ribald show in history, it's all still loving amazing and relatively politically correct.

In episode 3, Rose hasn't had sex since her husband died. She falls for a dude on a cruise, and he pressures her until she reveals that she's nervous, then he backs off and gets a separate room. Then she reveals that the reason she's nervous is because her husband had a heart attack and died while in bed with her.

gently caress, Golden Girls has to be the main reason I devoted my life to comedy writing

Just watched most episodes. They treat trans/crossdressing as something humiliating and bad, so that hasn't aged well. The rest holds up, which is impressive for a show that was basically 70% offensive jokes.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Davros1 posted:

I got the Looney Tunes Golden Collection boxset and was disappointed to find that the "I am Elmer J Fudd, millionaire. I own a mansion and a yacht." short isn't in the collection.

Wow I guess those war bonds really add up.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Beans!

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I was watching The Office last night when I realized something. The parents of Scott's Tots deserve a little blame for assuming that a middle manager could actually afford to send all those kids to college.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
not really

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Kinda. Michael is a huge loving dick for doing that to those kids, but some random guy coming into the classroom and saying he'll pay for your kid's college should set off a bunch of "bullshit" alarms. Don't count on some random stranger, even if they are rich, to pay for your kid's college.

Then again, this is also the same show where a grown woman hides in her hair when she's upset and we're supposed to view her as a functional adult so a man who's like 15 years her senior and her boss can date her.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I kept trying to think of something to say, instead of just dumping this tweet, but, uh, I've got nothing.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Leavemywife posted:

I kept trying to think of something to say, instead of just dumping this tweet, but, uh, I've got nothing.

and people say there are no new ideas

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s like a nazi Bubba Ho-Tep.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

luxury handset posted:

there's plenty of traditionally animated tv shows - adventure time, gravity falls, stephen universe, rick and morty are all hand drawn iirc. i'm not sure how much more expensive it is but it can work as a stylistic decision. although these shows are often blended with cgi for certain effects, like vehicles and other complex objects

e: disenchantment, too. last year wiki says there were like 15 trad animated shows released in the us, though i've never heard of most of them

sweet geek swag posted:

Even the Simpsons is still hand drawn. They just switched over to digital coloring.

I mean, 'hand-drawn' animation is now all done digitally. Futurama and Disenchantment were done in Toon Boom IIRC. Simpsons definitely uses Toon Boom and is drawn and colored digitally. That doesn't mean it still isn't an artist making the drawings, it's just on a computer, not a piece of paper.

Occasionally there's a specific scene that is animated on paper (for example"It's Over, Isn't It", for Steven Universe), but the majority of animation is done on computers now and has been for a good long while, at least the last 15 years.

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 23:02 on Jan 5, 2019

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Solice Kirsk posted:

Then again, this is also the same show where a grown woman hides in her hair when she's upset and we're supposed to view her as a functional adult so a man who's like 15 years her senior and her boss can date her.

I don’t think we were ever supposed to see Erin as someone who didn’t have issues, but they had to be really desperate to push an Erin/Gabe/Andy love triangle as a main plot.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

bobjr posted:

I don’t think we were ever supposed to see Erin as someone who didn’t have issues, but they had to be really desperate to push an Erin/Gabe/Andy love triangle as a main plot.

This is where I learn Ed Helms is only 6 years older than Ellie Kemper, and Zach Woods is 4 years younger than her. And her grandparents were industrial tycoons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Leavemywife posted:

80% on Rotten Tomatoes (I mean yeah only 5 reviews)