Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Costco tip from an employee:
If your costco doesn't carry something you want in stock or stopped carrying something you always get find an employee with a radio and see if you can get them to check inventory. All the section managers have radios and if something gets called in enough times they'll often start putting in orders for it. This is how my store started carrying mattresses.

I'm gonna start doing this till they start carrying FOSTERS by the case. Oil cans is where it's at!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Robokomodo posted:

I got a Costco membership for Christmas! What alcohol should I buy?

Welcome.

Kirkland brand beer is bad bit everything else is good. Go buck wild.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
The hit of our white elephant this year was a bottle of the Kirkland XO Cognac.

:woop:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

therobit posted:

I make stock sometimes if I have a carcass or bones from a roast around, but it's the cleanup from making stock that I dislike and costco sells bone stock so often I just use that.

Oh that's a good point! The bone broth is really good too!

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Robokomodo posted:

Are you looking for more expensive bottles or the Kirkland brand stuff? I don't really want to give out my secrets but I doubt there are many people who shop at my smaller Costco, so gently caress it.

If you are looking for nice bottles, you want to wait for clearances. These happen pretty often, but are most likely to occur after major holidays (I am going early tomorrow morning for this very reason, in fact). This is especially true for the holiday multi-packs of high end booze that they offer specifically around Christmas and sometimes around 4th of July.

Just as an example, last year after Christmas I got a 3 pack of Macallan scotch. The individual price of the bottles was around $300 total (one of the bottles alone is worth around $175). I got that whole pack for like 80 bucks.

I've also found more spendy drams like Springbank 18 (which is $200-$250) for around $100. My fiancee played dumb when we saw it and went back later that day to buy it for me for Easter, she's the best.

very rarely you find the unicorn setup of booze that is both on clearance and has a sale attached to it at the same time. This is definitely the white whale of booze sales but you can get bottles for near-free when this occurs. I've grabbed a couple of good drams this way.

Clearance items at Costco end in a .97 price. This is a great tip for anywhere you're shopping in the store, but it is especially incredible when it comes to booze because the deals can just be ridiculous, and no one else puts booze on clearance like Costco does. But always be on the lookout for a .97 price tag regardless of where you're shopping in the store.

In terms of regular Kirkland liquor, the best deal by far is the $12 handle of vodka. Pricey vodka is a scam so you will be pleased to know that it's about as good as any other vodka sans placebo effect.

Beyond that you can't really go wrong, the XO is great. The whiskey/scotch/tequila can be hit or miss but is usually at least worth the asking price (they source from numerous outlets for those so you are never 100% sure how the next batch will taste).

Personally when stocking average house liquor, I stick with the Kirkland Gin and the Kirkland $12 vodka. Can't really go wrong with that.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Taima posted:

Personally when stocking average house liquor, I stick with the Kirkland Gin and the Kirkland $12 vodka. Can't really go wrong with that.

Yup, all of the regularly stocked booze in my house is Kirkland: Vodka, Gin, and Bourbon.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Wife loved the Costco pajamas, thanks goon who linked those.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Robokomodo posted:

A box of 200 Toninos pizza rolls.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

I'm gonna start doing this till they start carrying FOSTERS by the case. Oil cans is where it's at!

Why do you drink Fosters?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Why do you drink Fosters?

Because it’s Australian for beer.

Duh mate.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Because it’s Australian for beer.

Duh mate.

No one in Australia drinks Fosters.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Well what the hell do you drink with your bloomin' onions??

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Eltoasto posted:

Well what the hell do you drink with your bloomin' onions??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns15eHLDv1I

What is a bloomin onion?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

When an American wants to re-create an authentic Australian experience, we go to Outback steakhouse to eat a 3,000 calorie bloomin' onion and steak, while washing it down with a cold fosters.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

It's onion rings but done in a star shape

It's the signature appetizer at the American fast-casual Outback Steakhouse restaurant chain

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I assume that's because the only drink that doesn't cost $60USD a case is malt liquor

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I live in texas

i just leqrned there is kirkland liquor

is there a way for me to buy it somehow

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Fallom posted:

I assume that's because the only drink that doesn't cost $60USD a case is malt liquor

They don’t sell malt liquor in Australia.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

The hit of our white elephant this year was a bottle of the Kirkland XO Cognac.

:woop:

Saw that today at a Costco I don't usually go to. Going to check out out after my current bottle of congac is gone

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Went to the church today and got a Samsung tv that has dead pixel lines. Kinda pissed off about this. Will take it back in the morning for a no fuss exchange, but still...

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Rippa legend right here!

stealie72 posted:

Went to the church today and got a Samsung tv that has dead pixel lines. Kinda pissed off about this. Will take it back in the morning for a no fuss exchange, but still...

Who are you mad at in this transaction? A very low percentage of consumer products are defective and it's literally no one's fault because the only thing with a 0% chance of failure is our own cold, unceremonious death

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Uh, I don't think he's mad at anyone. Probably just upset about the situation. You don't always have to be angry at someone when something goes wrong.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Taima posted:

Who are you mad at in this transaction? A very low percentage of consumer products are defective and it's literally no one's fault because the only thing with a 0% chance of failure is our own cold, unceremonious death
I'm an old man, so the clouds?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Got a rotisserie chicken today for the first time ever because apparently they changed the spice/brine mix. They always contained soy before (my wife is allergic), but this one did not contain soy.

The chicken was good

PBUC

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Gave a girl the huge basket from Costco filled with 79,000 holiday snacks, she was majorly impressed

God bless the Co

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
someone brought in a box of the belgian chocolate crepe cookies to the office today. its like the 5th costco cookie/candy thing brought into the office this month lol.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

First Costco post-holiday clearance liquor for $14.97:

Hooker House Rye finished in Zinfandel barrels (47% alc)
Hooker House Bourbon finished in pinot barrels (50% alc)
Hooker House Whiskey finished in French Oak Wine Barrels (45%)

Good starting haul!

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

FCKGW posted:

lol @ paying more than $1 an egg

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Holy poo poo. Eggs are like $2 a dozen here.

I mean, yeah, it's a place that has good meat but prices are insane. Gimme those costco eggs $3 for two dozen

oops. MANY new pages. refresh before posting. this browser tab was open for a while

Bummey fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Dec 27, 2018

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Taima posted:

First Costco post-holiday clearance liquor for $14.97:

Hooker House Rye finished in Zinfandel barrels (47% alc)
Hooker House Bourbon finished in pinot barrels (50% alc)
Hooker House Whiskey finished in French Oak Wine Barrels (45%)

Good starting haul!

Wow, I hope my Costco has these.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Bummey posted:

I mean, yeah, it's a place that has good meat but prices are insane. Gimme those costco eggs $3 for two dozen

oops. MANY new pages. refresh before posting. this browser tab was open for a while

I didn't know what egg prices here were when I even posted that since I rarely buy them. There's coupon for Festival Foods (Wisconsin store I think) sitting next to me that's $0.69 for a dozen.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I didn't know what egg prices here were when I even posted that since I rarely buy them. There's coupon for Festival Foods (Wisconsin store I think) sitting next to me that's $0.69 for a dozen.

Nice

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Wow I just spent like 5 minutes trying to figure out where the town of Wisconsin is on google and apparently it is actually a state, as it turns out.

It's state fish is the "Muskellunge".

A major tourist destination, drawing literally thousands of people, is "House on the Rock".

It makes the most cheese of any state, though it is not the home of the best cheese ever made (which is Yancey's Fancy Habanero and Jalapeno cheddar... that comes from New York).

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I just looked it up

Texas doesn't allow publicly traded companies to sell liquor

god drat this place blows

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Gave a girl the huge basket from Costco filled with 79,000 holiday snacks, she was majorly impressed

God bless the Co

Look at this goon, found the one true way to a woman's heart

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I went to Costco in Japan. Looked exactly the same. Same stuff on the shelves. Except one thing: A4 Wagyu beef.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Why not A5 Wagyu beef?

GARBAGE

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

I went to Costco in Japan. Looked exactly the same. Same stuff on the shelves. Except one thing: A4 Wagyu beef.

And better food court items. Also some nice seafood options in the deli case.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Moey posted:

More info/pics?

I dry brined in the fridge for several hours before moving to the grill for a reverse sear / light smoke.

It took a little over an hour to get up to temperature. I let it rest while I got my chimney starter going, and placed the grill grate directly on top. I quickly seared the steak over volcano level heat.

https://i.imgur.com/qd1kq1O.mp4

The final steak with some good char. Let it rest another 10+ minutes.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

binge crotching posted:

And better food court items. Also some nice seafood options in the deli case.

Kewpie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
holy poo poo that steak looks good