Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

So for those who use it, how does Voice Attack work if you have both it and Elite through Steam? Does steam still limit you to running one thing at a time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I bought the game last week because of the sale (hey, I thought the sale ended last week...wtf), but now I finally have time to play it.

I decided to do a few courier missions to just get a little extra $$$ for repairs and what not. While trying to land at this one station, my ship suddenly started acting like it was fighting a current and I couldn't land on the pad despite all my best efforts. My landing timer was around 1 min when I decided to bail, saved and exited to desktop. Logged back in and figured out my Flight Assist had been turned off (maybe a glitch?).

I encountered an interdiction attempt tonight, and I just aimed at the escape vector to escape. Are some interdictions harder to escape?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

moolchaba posted:

I bought the game last week because of the sale (hey, I thought the sale ended last week...wtf), but now I finally have time to play it.

I decided to do a few courier missions to just get a little extra $$$ for repairs and what not. While trying to land at this one station, my ship suddenly started acting like it was fighting a current and I couldn't land on the pad despite all my best efforts. My landing timer was around 1 min when I decided to bail, saved and exited to desktop. Logged back in and figured out my Flight Assist had been turned off (maybe a glitch?).

I encountered an interdiction attempt tonight, and I just aimed at the escape vector to escape. Are some interdictions harder to escape?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OVPOV-aSsg

It's been posted before but still funny

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think that interdiction is somewhat of a placeholder mechanic for now...

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The only times I've ever been caught by an NPC interdiction is when I've wanted to be caught because I wanted to kill the guy. I don't know if players are harder to escape from or what.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

If you have issues with working the FSS, listen to this silky smooth voiceover tell you how to FSS like a boss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYsGwvBfdbk

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Ok, Voice Attack does run on steam with other stuff. Now, I got EDDI after a goon in the discord pointed me there, but I could use a good guide (or 5) to getting things set up with it. Any somewhat recently made examples?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i think that they reset asteroid spawns back to normal with the reset tonight, or i found the best ring system ever:

this is all from one run, of about an hour and a half

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Hey one of you nerds who has a stick help me out. I got an Amazon card, and the prices on sticks have dropped, and I'm thinking about putting the gift card into one. How tdoes the t16thousand compare to the 50 dollar hotas x, what makes it better, is it worth the extra forty bucks
I had the Hotas X for a few months and could never get rid of the play in the center of the stick. It always had a little wobble back and forth forcing me to make a big deadzone to keep the ship from turning when I let go of the stick. The spring tension also seemed to ramp up too much when pushing it to the ends of travel, and reducing the spring force made the center wobble even worse. I guess it is ok for a $40 stick, but I have had the T.160️⃣0️⃣0️⃣M for two years now and it is a much better stick. My only complaint is that the throttle is all forward-only with no center detent, although you can sort of hack one in with some velcro strips and some curve editing.

As it has been mentioned a few times in the past couple pages, the paddle on the throttle is amaze for forward/back thrusters for landing, combat, and mining. Combined with the analog stick right next to it for lateral movement, it makes anyone able to dock like a pro or stick a Vulture on anyone's butt. Between the two (stick+throttle) you won't need a keyboard and mouse at all unless you need to type in a system name.

I really wish 3.4 would add an on-screen keyboard to the galaxy map where you just look at the letters in VR and squeeze the trigger, and also it would have autocomplete like all the third party websites have, as well as a range limit for like only systems within 500ly of your position because isn't that where I'm always going anyway.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i think that they reset asteroid spawns back to normal with the reset tonight, or i found the best ring system ever:

this is all from one run, of about an hour and a half

Delkar is buying diamonds for 950k per fyi.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Sigh. Feel like an idiot but must ask.

It's been a long while since I touched this game so I've forgotten all I knew. When trying to fire a mining laser or scanner I get a complaint that "Module not usable in this cockpit mode" or something to that effect. I've checked the tutorial, keyboard configurations and whatever else I could think of but didn't figure out the correct procedure to follow. What button to press?

Help.

I have an Adder, mining laser and refinery plus some other crap bolted on my ship. I should be able to mine in a small scale, since I remember doing so before. Maybe some update has changed some detail of mining and I missed it? Or I have forgotten something.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

SlightlyMad posted:

It's been a long while since I touched this game so I've forgotten all I knew. When trying to fire a mining laser or scanner I get a complaint that "Module not usable in this cockpit mode" or something to that effect. I've checked the tutorial, keyboard configurations and whatever else I could think of but didn't figure out the correct procedure to follow. What button to press?

Help.

I have an Adder, mining laser and refinery plus some other crap bolted on my ship. I should be able to mine in a small scale, since I remember doing so before. Maybe some update has changed some detail of mining and I missed it? Or I have forgotten something.

there's a new mode now so you have to switch between it and combat. Check your keybindings again there should be a new section called mode shift or something like that.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

SlightlyMad posted:

Help.

The cockpit mode thing is new and just means you have to switch to Analysis mode to use it. With the new rock cracking, you don't need a large refinery so the Adder will be fine. Make sure you have the following:

Pulse Wave Scanner
Seismic Launcher, fits a 2 slot hardpoint.
Abrasion Blaster, fits a 1 slot hardpoint. (Can bring more but unnecessary)
Cargo Hold, Largest you can fit with the other gear.
Refinery
Collector Limpets
Prospector Limpets

With out the limpets it will be hard to find stuff.

Note: I just tried to outfit an Adder on Coriolis and while the new mining gear still isn't there, it'll be a tight squeeze. No shields.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Anyone tried out the Krait Phantom? Is it out yet? I was wondering if it is any more maneuverable than the regular Krait. I like the regular Krait and it is a great anti-xeno ship. Fighter really nice to scoot around on planets in VR.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I was poking around Lucifer trying to find something to mine and I saw a station in the distance, so I flew toward it and got a nasty message and a HOSTILE warning on screen. No matter how far away I flew I couldn't get rid of it so I couldn't land and log out. Wound up having to go back up into orbit.

When I took a look at the navigation panel I found that it was named something like "Qwent Research Station." :shepicide:

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Saul Kain posted:

Anyone tried out the Krait Phantom? Is it out yet? I was wondering if it is any more maneuverable than the regular Krait. I like the regular Krait and it is a great anti-xeno ship. Fighter really nice to scoot around on planets in VR.

It is more maneuverable for sure. It sacrifices the SLF bay and a large weapon slot for that.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Saul Kain posted:

The Phantom is the best! I haven't noticed a difference in terms of maneuverability, but it has a good jump range and can carry all the stuff an explorer would need, a clear upgrade over the Asp. You'd lose the fighter, though.

Edit:

I just wish it had more paint jobs. Other ships have some really cool looking ones, but the Phantom has only like, 2-3 basic sets.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

Oh man, that looks sexy. I might have to try one out.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have discovered IGR J1104-6103, a pulsar with jets that are moving at a whopping 0.8c :stare:

It's not in game :negative:

Saul Kain posted:

I went from a DBX to a Phantom for my deep space exploration. It's great, as I can carry two+ AFMUs, a huge scoop, and a FSD booster.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

Libluini posted:

The Phantom is the best! I haven't noticed a difference in terms of maneuverability, but it has a good jump range and can carry all the stuff an explorer would need, a clear upgrade over the Asp. You'd lose the fighter, though.

Edit:

I just wish it had more paint jobs. Other ships have some really cool looking ones, but the Phantom has only like, 2-3 basic sets.

Good to know thanks. The fighter is just a bonus for me anyway, so that wouldn't be too bad. I appreciate the comments.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I tried rock cracking, it's fun. But it took me more time than I would like to admit to realize that sub-surface missiles don't work like limpets and I need to actually aim at those fissures.
Anyway, Ross 1051 has void opals hot spots (and LTD too, I think) around planet 7, although it has depleted reserves.

btw, is rock cracking affected by the reserve level?

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015
Newcomer question: Took down a bounty and irritatingly enough the only things damaged were my FSD and my Fuel Scoop. Both are at 0% health. Now I'm drifting and no station / base in flyable range.

Is my only option now to self destruct and lose my bounty and all the cargo I picked up?

Space raging so hard right now. I'd *JUST* upgraded my shield rig!

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I'm perfectly fine with mouse and keyboard, but my 24" monitor feels super inadequate for this game.

I'm running an i5-3570, 16GB of ram, GTX970, and SSD. So far it's working good for this game with most graphic settings at high with 1080 resolution. I imagine this game is pretty cpu bound, right?

I've had a few instances where I'm in a station, about to land and the game locks up for a good 10 seconds. Is that a normal glitch?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

GeorgieMordor posted:

Newcomer question: Took down a bounty and irritatingly enough the only things damaged were my FSD and my Fuel Scoop. Both are at 0% health. Now I'm drifting and no station / base in flyable range.

Is my only option now to self destruct and lose my bounty and all the cargo I picked up?

Space raging so hard right now. I'd *JUST* upgraded my shield rig!

One of the options in the right window is Reboot/Repair.

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015

Mike the TV posted:

One of the options in the right window is Reboot/Repair.

I'll be damned. That's cool! Thanks.

Is it random whether or not you get stuff back when you do one of those, depending on how badly you got wrecked?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Dwesa posted:

I tried rock cracking, it's fun. But it took me more time than I would like to admit to realize that sub-surface missiles don't work like limpets and I need to actually aim at those fissures.
Anyway, Ross 1051 has void opals hot spots (and LTD too, I think) around planet 7, although it has depleted reserves.

btw, is rock cracking affected by the reserve level?

I spent an hour+ at a Void Opal hotspot in Gliese 9106, which is Pristine, and have 0 Opals. I have 26T of Alexandrite and 14T of Grandiderite, which isn't bad, but its from 3 cores, which made for a LOT of downtime :(

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

GeorgieMordor posted:

I'll be damned. That's cool! Thanks.

Is it random whether or not you get stuff back when you do one of those, depending on how badly you got wrecked?

It'll always cannibalize healthy modules to repair anything <5%, iirc.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

My review of Erectile Dysfunction using the Oculus:

Jesus. loving. Christ. :aaaaa:

Had to take a VR break last night after Dirt Rally made me motion sick, but ED doesn't bother me at all. Playing on a monitor is just not the same.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Yeah reboot/repair will fix a lot of things. One time I had lost thrusters and sensors, couldn’t steer or target/communicate with anything. It fixed it. It’s kind of a cool sequence anyways.

In other news. Sold my exploration data from my quick jaunt to Thor’s eye and Lagoon Nebula for 55mil. That’s crazy. I’m not even back to the bubble yet.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Trying to find a boom state that spawns a HEG for material farming is proving nearly impossible. Does allegiance or economy matter for getting proto alloys, or is it just population and state?

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Blind Rasputin posted:

Yeah reboot/repair will fix a lot of things. One time I had lost thrusters and sensors, couldn’t steer or target/communicate with anything. It fixed it. It’s kind of a cool sequence anyways.

In other news. Sold my exploration data from my quick jaunt to Thor’s eye and Lagoon Nebula for 55mil. That’s crazy. I’m not even back to the bubble yet.

I went to Betelgeuse for the first time a few days ago, and did one of my favorite things to do, which is drop to normal space near the star, turn off flight assist to go into a lazy spin, and start a reboot/repair so that the ship is off, and I'm breathing through the helmet when the star appears in the windshield. It's always a humbling experience but with Betelgeuse I'm reminded that I'm doing this maneuver from over 5.5AU (The orbit of Jupiter) away from it.

Highly recommend a trip out to it, and a landing on Betelgeuse 2, a tiny planet with 1.8G gravity. It's tough to land on, and you're actually still fuel scooping pretty much until orbital cruise. Betelgeuse is insane.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Computer, show me the biggest object in the galaxy.

(that's almost 25 AU out)

At around 1,420 solar radii, VY Canis Majoris is loving massive, and the biggest object in the galaxy by radius (Sagittarius A* is the most massive celestial object). A highly evolved star, VY has only a very short (relatively, anyway) time to live. Weighing in at around 17 solar masses, it's all but certain to blow up in a supernova and turn into a neutron star. Currently, in 2018, it's understood it's fusing helium, meaning it still has some time left before the explosive end.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

iospace posted:

Computer, show me the biggest object in the galaxy.

(that's almost 25 AU out)

At around 1,420 solar radii, VY Canis Majoris is loving massive, and the biggest object in the galaxy by radius (Sagittarius A* is the most massive celestial object). A highly evolved star, VY has only a very short (relatively, anyway) time to live. Weighing in at around 17 solar masses, it's all but certain to blow up in a supernova and turn into a neutron star. Currently, in 2018, it's understood it's fusing helium, meaning it still has some time left before the explosive end.

I want to take a trip to Canis Majoris so bad, but I want to do it in an explorer build, not my cobbled together Krait that I simply just dumped all my mining gear out of to go to Rigel.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

I took Humanitas out for a shakedown cruise, first a couple handfuls of refugees fleeing a civil war in Daciat (And a handful of political prisoners... oops), then a tourist who wanted to pay me 2 million bucks to visit the space equivalent of the local 7-11. First the Tphen Slata binary planet system (I fail to see the appeal, having seen at least eight on my exploration trips), then a buoy marking the secession of New America from the Empire. With a detour to pick up two tons of the new iPhone.

I'm a little conflicted on Humanitas right now. It's a Dolphin, obviously, but I feel like a dedicated passenger liner should be bigger. Logically I know I'm not likely to use passenger space like I am cargo, and I do like what I've got going on with my loadout now. She's tuned for survivability and speed, capable of boosting to 350 km/s and with her drive getting engineered for jump time reduction once I find enough parts. She sure feels fun to fly, too, I haven't felt this nimble since playing an actual dolphin on the Sega Genesis.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

iospace posted:

I have discovered IGR J1104-6103, a pulsar with jets that are moving at a whopping 0.8c :stare:

It's not in game :negative:

I went from a DBX to a Phantom for my deep space exploration. It's great, as I can carry two+ AFMUs, a huge scoop, and a FSD booster.

Space Question: do pulsar jets really rotate at the speed depicted in Elite? For some reason I thought they whipped round a lot faster

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Space Question: do pulsar jets really rotate at the speed depicted in Elite? For some reason I thought they whipped round a lot faster

they are a LOT faster than in ED. most are "just a few times per second", the one iospace cited spins i think at ~716 times per second so yeah tbose jets would probably be imperceptible by human vision if you were in system

also, any suggestions for a good place to mine near Deciat

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

lemonadesweetheart posted:

there's a new mode now so you have to switch between it and combat. Check your keybindings again there should be a new section called mode shift or something like that.

Ah. I found the mode switching thing I had missed. Thanks for the advice. I am now successfully shooting spacerocks for profit. Pew pew. I will try the new, fancier mining equipment later.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Surprise Giraffe posted:

It depends! LGM-1 is portrayed as super calm, though it would be easy to render in Elite. It rotates once every 1.337 seconds, which is slow enough for a human to easily perceive on a visual basis. The Crab Pulsar rotates at 30Hz, which is much harder but can be seen (and was, as previously mentioned). The relativistic jets on IGR J1104-6103 are moving at 0.8c, but the pulsar itself is rotating at 15.9Hz, slower than the Crab Pulsar, and very much in "human detectable range". The speed of the jets are independent of the pulsar's rotation in this case.

For what it's worth, film traditionally runs at 24 FPS, or 24Hz. Take that as you will. There are also some super fast rotating pulsars in Elite, and usually they have a super wide cone from observations.

e: as for why they spin so fast, well, there's two things at play here: conservation of angular momentum and accretion. The first is pretty simple, and you've probably seen it yourself. If you ever watched figure skating and saw the skater spin on the toe of their skate, then pull their arms in and spin faster, congrats, it's that exact same principle. As all stars spin, so does the core. When star as a whole suddenly gets a lot, lot, lot smaller (like pulling its arms in), it spins faster. So you now have a fast rotating neutron star, like the Crab Pulsar. It's probable that when VY Canis Majoris finally blows up, it's going to be super fast, because you're going from over 1400 solar radii to the size of Long Island, North to South.

Over time, these stars will slow down, for example, LGM-1 is pretty old because it's pretty slow. However, the star can suck in matter from a neighbor star, and that will cause it to spin up. This is the cause of millisecond pulsars.

What's real fun is these proposed neutron stars called Blitzars. These are stars that are over the upper limit for a neutron star (at this point it should collapse into a black hole), but are rotating so fast it prevents the collapse. In time, the star will slow, but it will clear out the surrounding area of matter. This is important, because once the collapse does happen, there's no matter to accrete on the surface of the black hole, preventing x-ray or gamma ray bursts. The magnetic field of the neutron star no longer has an anchor, and it vanishes in a burst of radio noise, which would explain Fast Radio Bursts.

iospace fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 27, 2018

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
I took some photos while I was at Betelgeuse and instead of working like I should be, I uploaded them.

This one is the view from Betelgeuse 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

One of these days I should do a constellation tour, like hit the major stars of Orion, Ursa Major, or Carina.

Betelgeuse 2 is the one where you're still scooping until you land, right?