Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
only another four weeks until the sun rises again here. ski conditions are fantastic though, it's been dumping snow for the last five days straight

if you insist on touring with a snowboard rather than on skis as god intended you have no-one but yourself to blame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

big scary monsters posted:

only another four weeks until the sun rises again here. ski conditions are fantastic though, it's been dumping snow for the last five days straight

if you insist on touring with a snowboard rather than on skis as god intended you have no-one but yourself to blame

this pic whips rear end

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Captain Foo posted:

this pic whips rear end

man i had to stare at it for like a minute in order to see that it was a person with a The Thing headlamp, not a freakishly tall person wearing a 🅱️ veil and holding a flashlight

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

https://bigthink.com/personal-growth/doctors-in-shetland-can-now-prescribe-a-walk-in-nature

scotland posted:

Since October 5, doctors in Shetland, Scotland have been authorized to prescribe nature to their patients. It's thought to be the first program of its kind in the U.K., and seeks to reduce blood pressure, anxiety, and increase happiness for those with diabetes, a mental illness, stress, heart disease, and more.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I thought this was a painting at first. Awesome pic

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
https://twitter.com/doththedoth/status/1078351745393324032?s=21

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i made it to santa fe

barely

i took highway 285 around the back side of the mountains through the middle of the san luis valley. weather never got above 20f and was down to 7f in some spots. after i got out of the valley the sun went down and i, a semi in front of me and four trucks behind me got stuck in a blizzard. 70 miles of 25-35 mph in a 65mph zone. i was chatting with the lead trucker on my CB and had to balance his snow kick-up versus being able to stay close enough to see his tail lights. Threw the ford in auto 4wd (basically awd, splits to front when there's rear spin) and just drove it like a boat. made it safely and i'm now chilling in a super twee motel room in santa fe with a bottle of evan williams and some crappy TV while it's 6F outside.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

hell yeah

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

i made it to santa fe

barely

i took highway 285 around the back side of the mountains through the middle of the san luis valley. weather never got above 20f and was down to 7f in some spots. after i got out of the valley the sun went down and i, a semi in front of me and four trucks behind me got stuck in a blizzard. 70 miles of 25-35 mph in a 65mph zone. i was chatting with the lead trucker on my CB and had to balance his snow kick-up versus being able to stay close enough to see his tail lights. Threw the ford in auto 4wd (basically awd, splits to front when there's rear spin) and just drove it like a boat. made it safely and i'm now chilling in a super twee motel room in santa fe with a bottle of evan williams and some crappy TV while it's 6F outside.

glad u made it safe, Jonny

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
back at it again in norway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6IsFPRoslY

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Glad to see apetor up to his usual, given the cancer and all.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

great shot but you need a shave and a haircut post-haste

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

get out of this thread, idiot

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
“yeah let me just be a clean shaven mountain man with short hair”

-an idiot

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

shaving... lol

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

i shaved today

it was pretty good, op

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i am back from santa fe

in no particular order

730 miles, average 18.something MPG, and total trip cost including gas food lodging was about $210 for 3 days 2 nights

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

jonny, i forgot to tell you to go to tomasita's for dinner.

it took us 3 days to drive back to Albuquerque from washington thanks to the blizzard. seeing shiprock rising from the fog was p worthwhile though.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its ok. i just relaxed and found a little hole in the wall called the Red Enchilada. all that food was 15 bucks. lol

really i had a pretty open schedule as i didnt want to stress myself out too much due to the recent heart thing. now that i know what im in for, i can structure more stuff next time (and there will be a next time pretty soon)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
nerd notes:

out of the 3 radios in the truck (HF, VHF/UHF and a CB) i used the CB by far the most. on the way down we got hit by hard blowing snow at night and i used it to chat with truckers front and rear in the caravan. channel 19 is still hella active on the highways

at the last moment i noticed the AUX button on my stereo, had a hunch and plugged an RCA to 3.5mm cable in to the ports on the rear DVD player. yep it passed through. used my ipad for tunes when i wasnt playing radio

need to remember to bring a power strip next time, i was suffering with one usable outlet in the motel room

a small joy was parking at a big truck stop halfway, filling up and then chilling in the back of the ford while i made myself a nice turkey and cheese sandwich and checked in on slack. self-fed a lot that way, didnt spend much on food at all. had a mountain house bag or two, they're still a lot of fun to me

i need to get a dedicated GPS because iphones are worthless for about 60% of that drive. the line disappears and you are just hurtling through a gray on black grid. fortunately i chose a simple route so i just followed the signs

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

you can download maps for offline use

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jonny 290 posted:

730 miles, average 18.something MPG, and total trip cost including gas food lodging was about $210 for 3 days 2 nights

good pics :)

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
good pics johnny.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Did you travel back in time??

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

This is about what we pay per liter lol

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ADINSX posted:

Did you travel back in time??

that was probably in new mexico so yes, pretty much.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

spankmeister posted:

yeah i was about to comment the same. prices here at the moment are the equivalent of about 1.90 us per litre (almost $7/us gal)

that sounds like a cool trip jonny, some nice landscapes too

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 31, 2018

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

spankmeister posted:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what's the joke

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

what's the joke

69 cents per gallon is the sex number

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Sagebrush posted:

what's the joke

the cat drinks unleaded

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
haha, the natural price was $2.01 and i used my king sooper's discount for 40 cents off there

I did see lots of ~1.89 to 1.99 gas in new mexico tho

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

in the late 90s, gas prices briefly dropped to around 80 cents / gal., or about 1.20 today

nice southwest pics

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i clearly remember about the summer of 98 or 99 where it was down to $0.69 a gallon in arkansas

i could fill up my cutlass and get a pack of smokes AND a soda pop for ten bucks

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jonny 290 posted:

i clearly remember about the summer of 98 or 99 where it was down to $0.69 a gallon in arkansas

i could fill up my cutlass and get a pack of smokes AND a soda pop for ten bucks

same

get a tank of gas for $12, a pack of smokes for $2

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i suddenly sound like my dad

is this what old sounds ilke

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah, but we've earned it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

iirc the clinton II era had the cheapest gas, inflation- and purchasing-power-adjusted, of any time in american history

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
basically lol if you’re old enough to have been alive during either clinton term

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Stymie posted:

basically lol if you’re old enough to have been alive during either clinton term

stymie, of course, substantiated from a cloud of sewer gas only a few months before registering on the forums