Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

:eyepop: :fap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Excellent work on that steak.

I also own that same grill and chimney starter. You have inspired me with your chimney technique.

I love the Kettle. My Bullet, Masterbuilt, and Brinkman (and propane Genesis) don't even get used anymore. I just did a brisket last weekend and it came out fantastic. I've also become hooked on lump charcoal. Way better flavor.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

binge crotching posted:

And better food court items. Also some nice seafood options in the deli case.

We do have the bulgogi bake but our hot dog is made of pork instead of beef so I think overall you guys got it better. The pork dogs are ok but kind of mediocre in comparison to any proper beef dog.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

revmoo posted:

Excellent work on that steak.

I also own that same grill and chimney starter. You have inspired me with your chimney technique.

I love the Kettle. My Bullet, Masterbuilt, and Brinkman (and propane Genesis) don't even get used anymore. I just did a brisket last weekend and it came out fantastic. I've also become hooked on lump charcoal. Way better flavor.

Note - searing on the chimney is extremely metal forging hot. You have to keep active, 10-15 seconds at most before turning. You can return if you need more sear. I wouldn't use this heat level to cook from raw unless you like that black and blue style.

Edit - I mostly use the Kettle for good steaks or for smoking ribs and stuff. For general grilling, I just can't wait for the coals to heat up, and my propane grill is used most of the time.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 27, 2018

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yeah I kinda figured that was a reverse-sear only technique. The flames out of that starter are probably pushing like 1500* lol.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
What's with the bumps at the entrance of every Costco? Rolling a cart over them is annoying.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

FogHelmut posted:

I dry brined in the fridge for several hours before moving to the grill for a reverse sear / light smoke.

It took a little over an hour to get up to temperature. I let it rest while I got my chimney starter going, and placed the grill grate directly on top. I quickly seared the steak over volcano level heat.

https://i.imgur.com/qd1kq1O.mp4

The final steak with some good char. Let it rest another 10+ minutes.

this post beat the gently caress out of the vegan chicken pity post in the thread.

Cock Sucker
Nov 14, 2018
I'd be careful with Costco beef. A lot more of it is mechanically tenderized, which basically pushes surface bacteria deep into the meat.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Big Data posted:

I'd be careful with Costco beef. A lot more of it is mechanically tenderized, which basically pushes surface bacteria deep into the meat.

This doesn't sound remotely plausible

Cock Sucker
Nov 14, 2018
Says it right on the package.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

revmoo posted:

This doesn't sound remotely plausible

It’s absolutely a thing.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jubs posted:

What's with the bumps at the entrance of every Costco? Rolling a cart over them is annoying.

I've never been told this, but my guess is that it's so blind people know when they're about to step into traffic.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GORDON posted:

I've never been told this, but my guess is that it's so blind people know when they're about to step into traffic.

Yup

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.simplemost.com/sidewalk-bumps/amp/

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Big Data posted:

Says it right on the package.

What package? I've never seen this.

Cock Sucker
Nov 14, 2018
Costco will tell you if the meat you're buying has been blade tenderized on the price label, with a recommended cooking temp of 160.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

My fiancee asked once and was told it was so that carts that begin rolling unattended don't peace out to the parking lot and hit cars/people/etc. That doesn't mean the dude knew what he was talkin' about necessarily.

e: the Mercury news has a short bit that mentions the Costco bumps specifically so I guess it is primarily to adhere to the ADA:

quote:

Q A friend fell on the yellow bumps on the sidewalk at Safeway in Soquel and broke her leg in four places. She had no insurance and was in the hospital for three days.

Nancy Maynard

Capitola

A These truncated domes at curb cuts are designed to meet requirements by the Americans With Disabilities Act and are meant to inform blind pedestrians that they are stepping into traffic. But lawyers have had a field day with these. They’ve filed so many lawsuits that cities and corporations are going way overboard to insulate themselves from lawsuits. How so? Some make it difficult for people using walkers, canes and crutches to easily cross these dotted surfaces. Places like Costco and Target often run them the entire length of an entrance. Critics say they are also a huge headache for nondisabled folks.

Taima fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 28, 2018

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
This is from 2013, so not the most recent documentation, but it states cooking temp of 145. A whopping six people from 2009 to 2013 had issues requiring hospitalization so it doesn't really seem to be worth worrying about, especially if you're not into store marinades or flavor injection. Eat your tasty-looking hunk of meat.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Big Data posted:

Costco will tell you if the meat you're buying has been blade tenderized on the price label, with a recommended cooking temp of 160.

What are y'all buying with this label?

Skirt steak? NY Strip? Ribeye? Brisket? Ribeye Cap? Ribs? Short Ribs?

I've bought all the above and more in the last 12 months and nothing has had that label or the texture of mechanically tenderized meat.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I mean, I like chicken-fried steak and all but I've never bought cube steak at Costco.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
My real beef is with my Costco parking lot which seems to have 6 inch tall speed bumps that are a total bitch to roll a cart over. I am precariously towing 5 cases of monsters, this is not the time or place for rough terrain.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
that's p charred tho

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

revmoo posted:

I mean, I like chicken-fried steak and all but I've never bought cube steak at Costco.

I like my stew meat rare. Like a MAN!

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
I don't think I've noticed bumps in front of any costco. I'll look next time I go.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

revmoo posted:

What are y'all buying with this label?

Skirt steak? NY Strip? Ribeye? Brisket? Ribeye Cap? Ribs? Short Ribs?

I've bought all the above and more in the last 12 months and nothing has had that label or the texture of mechanically tenderized meat.

theres "whack it w/ hammer" mechanical tenderization and "whack it w/ jaccard" which is what costco does w/o exception. jaccard imo is much more similar to normal rear end meat

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

I dry brined in the fridge for several hours before moving to the grill for a reverse sear / light smoke.

It took a little over an hour to get up to temperature. I let it rest while I got my chimney starter going, and placed the grill grate directly on top. I quickly seared the steak over volcano level heat.

https://i.imgur.com/qd1kq1O.mp4

The final steak with some good char. Let it rest another 10+ minutes.

:vince:

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

To be honest, I didn't look for that on the beef tenderloin I got for Christmas. I cooked it to 135 F and we're all ok, though.

I didn't take picture of this year's because I was too rushed, but I can post pictures of last year's later. I rub it with fresh cracked peppercorn and kosher salt, and do a reverse sear. It comes out amazing each time. I'm vegetarian 99.9% of the time but break it for this.

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
On behalf of the Costco beef tenderloiners everywhere, behold the fruits of my labor:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
oh btw the Standing Rib Roast was a hit at Christmas dinner.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

You always bust out the charred dick fork on special occasions?

Winnie the Pooh
Feb 16, 2012

eonwe posted:

I just looked it up

Texas doesn't allow publicly traded companies to sell liquor

god drat this place blows

Didn't see anyone answer this but Texas Costcos near me have a separate store front for liquor. It'll be attached on a side somewhere.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

:hai:

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Winnie the Pooh posted:

Didn't see anyone answer this but Texas Costcos near me have a separate store front for liquor. It'll be attached on a side somewhere.

Yeah it’s independently owned though. No Kirkland brand booze.

Jacco
Sep 2, 2008

FCKGW posted:

Fuckin lol. It does look like a little burned, shriveled up dick.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
We need more pictures of the penis fork, it's just too hard to understand what's going on there without more info.

To me it looks more like a charred penis covered in fur or perhaps even finely matted feathers.

It also looks hollow? I would err towards it being some specialty fork but the construction quality looks low. The handle might even be plastic. Dollar store penis fork?

So many questions.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Winnie the Pooh posted:

NY Costcos have the same thing. Honestly, I find it's not really worth it for the prices but the convenience is nice at least.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
its been in my parents collection for literally decades. It's like an acrylic handle thats like a burnt piece of wood or something. idk. :shrug:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Chinatown posted:

its been in my parents collection for literally decades. It's like an acrylic handle thats like a burnt piece of wood or something. idk. :shrug:

Ah, an heirloom penis fork. One day, you’ll be able to look your son or daughter in the eye and perform the passing of the penis fork.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I think it's a nice fork

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Chinatown posted:

I have one also, I didn't see the whole "dick" aspect until they pointed it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I also love penis though, so :shrug: