Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
Cracked a data vault, scanned a bit more around and saw a purple ping so I decided to fly to, turns out it was a wormhole and I got sucked in (you don't get a lot of time to change course at 3km/s+). Got stuck in the middle of nowhere so decided to hop on a highway back to Black Hole Sun. Half-way there I accidentally ram into one of the highway struts and explode.

RIP

Edit: loving amazing, decided to go back through the wormhole instead, ended up in Sacred Witness, found some random thing floating nearby, went closer to have a look.

It was a mine. :allears:

Falcorum fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

popewiles posted:

Am I crazy for thinking it was Argon shields and paranoid engines that were preferable?

Different shields have different properties. As capacity goes up, charge rate goes down. Teladi have the best capacity, Paranid have the best charge rate, Argon are middle of the road. So it's a preference thing.

For engines, Paranid make the best combat engines, but Argon make the best travel engines. And since capital ships do not have combat engines, hey there you go.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

popewiles posted:

Am I crazy for thinking it was Argon shields and paranoid engines that were preferable?

Nah teladi have the best shields. Even in x3 their ships had the most or biggest shield slots.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
^They were also about as maneuverable as a dead pig in tar

Capacity is the only real metric that matters though with the delay in shield recharge rate. The 15% boost you get in rate of recharge that starts 30% faster on Paranid is basically worthless when your shield rarely regen in combat, the 25% boost in shield buffer is all that matters for Teladi. PAR shields are the worst.

Engines have a bit more variety. PAR have the best subspeed engines, ARG have the best travel speed engines, TEL have the shortest cooldown on engaging travel speed after an attack and the best brakes. PAR also have 1/2 seconds extra boost available on ALL engine types and get up to speed faster in travel. So at least with engines, you got some options, PAR for combat ships, ARG for general traders/economy ships, TEL for smugglers.

And as far as turrets go, ARG/TEL seem to be the same? But PAR have better rotation speeds for tracking.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I kind of like paranid engines.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

ded posted:

I kind of like paranid engines.

hoooooooooow

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

bandaid.friend posted:

there's no Boron or Split ships in the game either

Wait, what the gently caress, there isn't?

But, but... my Mamba! My Chimera! My Python!

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well there are wrecks of a bunch of split capital ships in a few sectors.

But yeah there are some ~*plot reasons*~ for no split or boron but its just because they didn't have the resources to add two more factions.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
There were split ships in Rebirth so it's fairly likely that they'll show up eventually since they could basically just reuse the models.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Have they said if they're gonna add the split back in? Like, poo poo, I can't believe an X game would launch without half the races from the series. :(

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I loved the Split M7s as player ships, I seem to remember the Tiger with full incendiary bomb launchers being an absolute monster, and the Panther(?) being a rad little mini carrier.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

I loved the Split M7s as player ships, I seem to remember the Tiger with full incendiary bomb launchers being an absolute monster, and the Panther(?) being a rad little mini carrier.

The panther raider was probably my favorite non-Hyperion ship. The fighters launching vertically in front of the cockpit was a nice touch.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Have they said if they're gonna add the split back in? Like, poo poo, I can't believe an X game would launch without half the races from the series. :(

IIRC there are two planned expansions and it feels likely they will add more species. I have not heard any specific info though.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Egosoft has to be the one company to have great post launch content and support though. I'd bet they get introduced eventually.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Galaga Galaxian posted:

There are split NPCs just sort of around, at least. Gun lovers are also the most polite in having no idea where a Rep is. "Split don't know :saddowns: "

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Am I crazy? Did satellite range get changed? Now all my carefully laid floaters are covering nothing in the green ring and I need to essentially have the satellite right on top of the station to be in the ring. The green ring only covers about a hex and a half.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Engine and Mass mods. This screenshot shows the correct regular speed (821) but the travel is the same as the other screenshot I posted, 16752.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

IIRC there are two planned expansions and it feels likely they will add more species. I have not heard any specific info though.

I know I read the expansions were going to include more races, I thought it was on the collectors edition description but it's not.

I did find it on Egosoft's website though so should be good enough.

https://www.egosoft.com/x/xnews/201810_1_44News.html

There will be Expansions, which will bring more races, their ships, stations and lots of missions into the X4 Universe. Our goal is to bring the first big Expansion within about one year.

New races are sectors are likely going to be what they try and sell more casual players on. The more hardcore will buy it for the improvements to AI and other small details that just make the game a better overall experience.

Being popular races I bet each of the 2 planned expansions focuses on one of them considering the PHQ plot. Maybe see some Terran in one of them, they don't need another expansion with them as the focus but I'd like to see them show up.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 27, 2018

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Data vault spawned at the entrance gate for Faulty Logic. Got to play space Mission Impossible and open it seconds before an M came through, beelining for my space suit as I boosted into my airlock. :black101: Why no, I didn't have to save scum with my jaw dropped after getting blasted on the first attempt and learning enemy ships target your suit.

So yeah, still having the automine issue since it's a 1 star behavior and my pilots all have zero. Is there anything I can do besides manually trigger them to mine, then manually make them sell, ad infinitum?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

WebDO posted:

Data vault spawned at the entrance gate for Faulty Logic. Got to play space Mission Impossible and open it seconds before an M came through, beelining for my space suit as I boosted into my airlock. :black101: Why no, I didn't have to save scum with my jaw dropped after getting blasted on the first attempt and learning enemy ships target your suit.

So yeah, still having the automine issue since it's a 1 star behavior and my pilots all have zero. Is there anything I can do besides manually trigger them to mine, then manually make them sell, ad infinitum?

All ships should come with a 1 or 2 star pilot. I've never not gotten that, add a pilot from refit screen at a warf after firing your current useless guy.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

pixaal posted:

All ships should come with a 1 or 2 star pilot. I've never not gotten that, add a pilot from refit screen at a warf after firing your current useless guy.

When I go to anywhere to upgrade I can always hire support crew or marines from the upgrade interface but I have never been able to hire a pilot that way. I don't know if I'm clicking in the wrong place or what but it never seems to be an option. And mooks just walking in stations are all garbage tier.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

When you buy a ship, get the HIGHEST PRESET, then switch out the parts to whatever you want. This is how you get competent crew.

It's dumb. I hope they add more ways to hire crew.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Ass_Burgerer posted:

When you buy a ship, get the HIGHEST PRESET, then switch out the parts to whatever you want. This is how you get competent crew.

It's dumb. I hope they add more ways to hire crew.

The problem is that most of my ships I'm trying to crew are found or captured, so that's not an option.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, hopefully it doesn't take a full year for them to get the Split in game. Hopefully by then the game will be cleaned up of the major bugs and some cool mods will be in to.

And hopefully the Split stuff still looks cool.

But man, I can't believe they'd make an X game without the Split and Boron factions... wait, did Rebirth have them? I never looked much into it after hearing it was dogshit.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

rebirth had no boron and a limited number of split

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I'd prefer having Split or Boron in place of Argon. Humans are boring!

I've played a bit of the game but most of the stuff you can do just doesn't work well enough to be satisfying. It's probably time to put this down for a couple of months. Normally I'd be more upset, but Egosoft's earned some trust by X3

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

bandaid.friend posted:

I'd prefer having Split or Boron in place of Argon. Humans are boring!

I've played a bit of the game but most of the stuff you can do just doesn't work well enough to be satisfying. It's probably time to put this down for a couple of months. Normally I'd be more upset, but Egosoft's earned some trust by X3

Yeah the base game is real solid and I am real excited to see what modders can do with it. Right now I've built up a decently sized empire and have a good steady income. I just don't have anything to do with it.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Do I need a hotas or something to play this game or can I get by with mouse and keyboard

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Mouse controls are fine

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’d actually say mouse controls are preferred

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
I thought the boron weren’t in because they couldn’t figure something out for making an aquatic species mesh with the walkable stations

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Phobeste posted:

I thought the boron weren’t in because they couldn’t figure something out for making an aquatic species mesh with the walkable stations

Have them get around in water filled hamster balls

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

It would be cool if they could do like water filled stations that you have to visit in your suit and with zero G turned on.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
Is there a sensible way to see what ware a shipyard's missing to build a ship that's waiting construction? Best I can tell the only way is to try to buy the same ship and see what wares appear in the purchasing order as red.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Phobeste posted:

There exist models for boron in water space suits.

The problem is boron stations

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

VostokProgram posted:

Do I need a hotas or something to play this game or can I get by with mouse and keyboard

KB + mouse is easier. If you want full immersion the game plays really well with a full setup but by no means required. Even with a nice equipment you'll still need to grab the mouse every so often since it's a bit of a pain in the rear end to navigate some of the menus without one and selecting by using "next target" and " closest target" it can just be quicker to let go of the stick and just click what you want to go to. There are options for emulating a mouse with a joystick including left right click though if you really want that.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Falcorum posted:

Is there a sensible way to see what ware a shipyard's missing to build a ship that's waiting construction? Best I can tell the only way is to try to buy the same ship and see what wares appear in the purchasing order as red.

For a particular ship? No, not really. For the queue itself, you just go into the build/buy menu and it'll tell you what's needed for the ships it wants to build. Or if you've scanned the station (or installed the mod that autoscans everything discovered) you can just look at it's info page and what storage is low on.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Why are the destroyer main batteries so hilariously unsatisfying to shoot? The most limp noodle pews imaginable.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

The sound is a big part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Asproigerosis posted:

Why are the destroyer main batteries so hilariously unsatisfying to shoot? The most limp noodle pews imaginable.

Partly sound, and partly because this game, like seemingly a lot of others, lacks a "Big fuckoff gun" thing that you generally expect in sci-fi Destroyer and above-class ships. Not an upscaled pulse laser or whatever, but a massive "oh you're hosed" cannon. See something like Mass Effect's dreads/cruisers, where the ship is basically built around gigantic mass drivers as their primary armament-you have turrets, launch tubes, etc for swatting at smaller ships, but then you also need to line up the entire ship to bring the main gun to bear on bigger prey. The Expanse kind of has the same thing with missiles/torps being a long-range engagement thing, but then once you bring a big ship close enough you start trading punches with the big guns.

It would take a bit of customization off the table, naturally, but it'd be pretty sweet to have actual "main guns" that ships came with that would be specific to different races.