Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I watched GMK for the first time tonight. All of the monster sections are filmed so strangely that they look more like the Barkley commercial than a main Godzilla movie. Its like it was trying to hit the camp of the 60s and 70s look but with modern film techniques and quality and it just make things look really cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I love the look of GMK, one of my favs. The Gamera trilogy by that director is also great, maybe a bit more the look you'd like. I watched Biollante on blu-ray recently, still great, I don't think it looks any better than GMK though myself for example. Do you like the look of other 2000s Godzilla films, or tokusatsu stuff etc?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Shiroc posted:

I watched GMK for the first time tonight. All of the monster sections are filmed so strangely that they look more like the Barkley commercial than a main Godzilla movie. Its like it was trying to hit the camp of the 60s and 70s look but with modern film techniques and quality and it just make things look really cheap.

Hollywood films are too afraid of looking cheap. I'd rather have someone realize a conceptually ambitious scene with visibly "fake" aesthetics than see something that's been done a million times but slightly more convincing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/41Strange/status/1078360263579955200

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Heavy Metal posted:

I love the look of GMK, one of my favs. The Gamera trilogy by that director is also great, maybe a bit more the look you'd like. I watched Biollante on blu-ray recently, still great, I don't think it looks any better than GMK though myself for example. Do you like the look of other 2000s Godzilla films, or tokusatsu stuff etc?

I had just watched the two Millenium Mechagodzilla movies a couple days earlier and everything there looked more like how I'd expect mid-2000s suit monsters to be. I've seen all of the 2000s ones except Megaguirus and GMK is the only one that I can remember looking quite this way.

I'm watching the blurays with the double packs in them, in case those changed how anything looked.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

GMK definitely has its own style. Which people are definitely divided over still. Personally I've noticed the Godzilla films that divide the fanbase the most are usually some of the best ones.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It feels like Toho in the Millennium series were trying to find ways to do things more efficiently- the budgets weren't much lower than the Heisei series, but there are more digital mattes and shots where they place the monsters against live action plates, so they don't have to build as much in the way of miniatures, etc.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
GMK has a few really bad composite shots IIRC.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

The biggest mistake of the Millennium series was seemingly cropping Godzilla 2000 from widescreen to 2.35:1, so even wide shots are cutting off the tops of actors' heads. It's distracting in an otherwise solid 'zilla film.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Godzilla 2000 owned. The final fight with Orga eating Godzilla and G going “gently caress this poo poo” and glowing red was awesome. Then that one dude standing off against G and yelling GODZILLA then dying was also cool.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

I liked the unique defeatist ending and the ambiguous, singular sense of continuity. Also Godzilla's extreme '90s redesign and atomic breath were great. It looked like you'd melt if you were too close to his dorsal plates when he's charging up.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Oh hey my suggestion got used in the title. Nice.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/1078476022176235520

This viral marketing is getting out of hand.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Drew this over the holiday when I was feeling the spirit of the season

"Glory to the Newborn King"

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Heavy Metal posted:

GMK had the same director as the 90's Gamera movies? :psyduck:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

http://news.toyark.com/2018/12/28/godzilla-king-of-the-monsters-sh-monsterarts-godzilla-and-king-ghidorah-328007

A closer look at the Godzilla and KG figures.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Panfilo posted:

It's some visually striking Kaiju power, it doesn't have to make sense.

Hell, in the recent Godzilla Anime apparently Godzilla has some kind of forcefield making him nigh invulnerable but when he does his breath attack there's a split second where he's vulnerable, so they do this Rube Goldberg complicated military operation to try to stop him. They go into a lot of technobabble but my way of handwaving all of it is basically 'Kaiju generate a reality warping field around themselves allowing them to survive being so big and doing Kaiju stuff.
The third installment is coming to Netflix January 9th. :woop:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

GMK had the same director as the 90's Gamera movies? :psyduck:

Yep, and the soundtrack was done by the guy who eventually composed the soundtrack for Shadow of the Colossus

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Nroo posted:

Drew this over the holiday when I was feeling the spirit of the season

"Glory to the Newborn King"

This is perfect, especially since Minilla already resembles the medieval homunculi depictions of baby Jesus.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

fenix down posted:

The third installment is coming to Netflix January 9th. :woop:

Sweet. I can't wait to see how crazy over the top the third season becomes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Prepare for disappointment

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

"Transformers explosion" yeah right.

https://youtu.be/SviK_papIw0

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Mantis42 posted:

"Transformers explosion" yeah right.

https://youtu.be/SviK_papIw0

One shall stand, and One shall fall!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

got godzilla: rage across time for christmas and it slaps. The framing device(a pair of archeologists searching for evidence of godzilla & friends throughout history) seemed mostly superfluous though except for the last story.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Stairmaster posted:

got godzilla: rage across time for christmas and it slaps. The framing device(a pair of archeologists searching for evidence of godzilla & friends throughout history) seemed mostly superfluous though except for the last story.

I think I remember that one. Was it the one where some supervillain was zapping Godzilla through time so that he could plunder history and then have Godzilla wreck the place afterwards in order to cover it up?

That one was weird even for a Godzilla story.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Stairmaster posted:

I was disappointed that one of the archeologists wasn't actually Godzilla in disguise.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Paper Kaiju posted:

I think I remember that one. Was it the one where some supervillain was zapping Godzilla through time so that he could plunder history and then have Godzilla wreck the place afterwards in order to cover it up?

That one was weird even for a Godzilla story.

No, Godzilla: Rage Across Time is a semi-recent IDW series. The one you're thinking of was an arc back during the 1990s Dark Horse run.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

HannibalBarca posted:

No, Godzilla: Rage Across Time is a semi-recent IDW series. The one you're thinking of was an arc back during the 1990s Dark Horse run.

Ah, that's right. Do you remember what that trade omnibus was called?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Paper Kaiju posted:

Ah, that's right. Do you remember what that trade omnibus was called?

Godzilla: Past Present Future (appropriately enough)

There was also Godzilla: Age of Monsters, I believe, and a 4-issue compendium (titled, simply, "Godzilla") of Dark Horse's manga adaptation of Godzilla 1984.

Unfortunately, all of the Dark Horse omnibus collections were printed in black-and-white, rather than the color panels of the original issues :(

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm a collector of old style soft vinyl kaiju and I'm going to have a shot at getting one of Sunguts' new Shin Godzillas in February and I'm loving stoked. :cool:

https://twitter.com/SUNGUTS/status/1074303830676799489

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Did it go unnoticed that there's a casting call for "Korean twins, other Asian nationalities will be considered" in 'Fathom', AKA King of the Monsters?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Golden Gael posted:

Did it go unnoticed that there's a casting call for "Korean twins, other Asian nationalities will be considered" in 'Fathom', AKA King of the Monsters?

:getin: YESSSSS

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

King Kong Vs. Godzilla makes more sense when Gamera is in the mix.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mr Hootington posted:

King Kong Vs. Godzilla makes more sense when Gamera is in the mix.

Is Gamera the Wonder Woman?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mr Hootington posted:

King Kong Vs. Godzilla makes more sense when Anguirius is in the mix.

Fixed that for you, friend.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is Gamera the Wonder Woman?

Oh poo poo, it's all starting to make sense!!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Flashback to an orphaned baby Kong being adopted by Mothra.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Happy New Year guys

https://twitter.com/koroguchi/status/1079717682658701312

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So the director confirmed that the oxygen destroyer exists in the Legendary Goji series. I'm betting Kong vs Big G is going to have Destroyah as the bigger bad that stops Batman and Superman from fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

I wouldn't bet on any specific monsters from the Heisei era appearing until we hear Legendary got the rights from Toho, but it's possible.