Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I mentioned it earlier, but I definitely think of Peele as being a high-concept horror movie director first and foremost. The racial aspects of Get Out are absolutely fundamental to it, but even beyond that the actual core concept of body swapping and whatever is like, waaaaay different from the bread and butter of the genre. Us looks to be the same way. It’s not just analyzing social issues (which is pretty core to horror itself), but doing so in really extreme and original ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I’m thinking about making January my month of watching classics I have never gotten around to watching. If I drum a list on Letterboxd would anyone else like to participate or contribute? I can do a whole write up post for it too.

I only have so many, I don’t think I could fill a whole month of just movies I haven’t seen, so some others joining the fun would help fill out the line up and it may be fun to revisit something you haven’t seen in forever.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

man i want an actual track of spooky "i got 5 on it".

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Windows 98 posted:

I’m thinking about making January my month of watching classics I have never gotten around to watching. If I drum a list on Letterboxd would anyone else like to participate or contribute? I can do a whole write up post for it too.

I only have so many, I don’t think I could fill a whole month of just movies I haven’t seen, so some others joining the fun would help fill out the line up and it may be fun to revisit something you haven’t seen in forever.

What have you got so far? I have 14 films left on Slant's Top 100, which I haven't touched since November, a few days after the October challenge.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Windows 98 posted:

Sure, there are a ton of classics I haven't seen.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I could fill a month with just movies I own but haven’t gotten around to watching yet. In fact I probably should...

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8dfZ3N_c2E

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The Us trailer was good right from the start, but the whole evil-doppelgangers has been done in horror movies. Not very well and not very often, but it felt familiar. Then it had cuts of the evil doppelgangers in broad daylight and apparently the whole resort town getting butchered, spoiling this only because it's a great background visual in the trailer that I almost missed the first watch, and now it's a day one must see for me.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

LifeLynx posted:

The Us trailer was good right from the start, but the whole evil-doppelgangers has been done in horror movies. Not very well and not very often, but it felt familiar. Then it had cuts of the evil doppelgangers in broad daylight and apparently the whole resort town getting butchered, spoiling this only because it's a great background visual in the trailer that I almost missed the first watch, and now it's a day one must see for me.

Saaaaame. I was kinda putting it in the 'oh, maybe I'll get it on Amazon or something' when I saw it was a doppleganger thing but A) loving SPOOKY rear end animalistic herky-jerky dopple gangers is a plus and B) this is not a 'they only come out at night and stay in the house or whatever' thing but those motherfuckers are running around in broad daylight and that thing you spoiled and all that. Just slather me in this good good horror already.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Get Out was actually the 4th movie in a 9-movie series, and Us is the 5th.

You mean 6th.

Make-A-Wish, Roommate Meeting, Baby Forest, Georgina and Esther and Sata, Get Out, Us

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
I really want to see where Peele takes this. I agree I'd hate to see him become just "the race issues horror director" but I'd be surprised if he makes just a straightforward invasion movie.
They were blowing up cars in santa cruz a few months ago so there must be at least a few scenes in the daylight.

Bets on whether he sneaks in a Lost Boys reference? Or Killer Klowns from Outer Space?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Spite posted:

They were blowing up cars in santa cruz a few months ago so there must be at least a few scenes in the daylight.

That was just for kicks, round out the budget.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

quote:

Very important for me was to have a black family at the center of a horror film. It’s also important to note that this movie, unlike Get Out, is not about race. It is instead about something I feel has become an undeniable truth. That is the simple fact that we are our own worst enemies.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I watched Clovehitch Killer last night. I loved it.

What are some similar movies? I have already seen:

I am not a serial killer
Super dark times
My friend Dahmer

Are there other similar movies I might like?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Tim Heidecker being in this gives me hope that we get a full length Spaghet movie soon.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Ehud posted:

I watched Clovehitch Killer last night. I loved it.

What are some similar movies? I have already seen:

I am not a serial killer
Super dark times
My friend Dahmer

Are there other similar movies I might like?

It's not really as focused on the topic of serial killers, but you might enjoy Summer of '84 as like a Rear Window type situation where kids suspect a guy and start investigating him. I thought it was decent but others in the thread seemed to enjoy it even more than I did.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Happy Birthday, Barbara Crampton!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've never seen a woman age like Barbara Crampton she must have a magic portrait of herself hidden away somewhere.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
US looks so good. My only complaint about Get Out was the horror was more high concept. This looks way the gently caress more scary, the trailer is scary. I don't even remember the last trailer I found scary.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Kind of surprised Prime has like every Italian post-apocalyptic even down to not-even-z-grade crap like Bronx Executioner but somehow is now missing both 2019: After the Fall of New York AND 2020: Texas Gladiators which are two of the raddest ones. :O Why would that happen with just those two flicks in particular when a bunch of others from the same distributors/producers/etc. are still up? I was sure these were both available too.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc5iTNVEOAg

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I think this live version actually counts as horror

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFIe9e1QG_U

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Basebf555 posted:

I've never seen a woman age like Barbara Crampton she must have a magic portrait of herself hidden away somewhere.

Crampton don't uhhh Crackton?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

FancyMike posted:

I think this live version actually counts as horror

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFIe9e1QG_U

While sometimes I worry that my sense (fashion, music, whatever) is a little too caught up in my teens/20s and hasn't changed enough with the times that video really, really put things in perspective that it could be a lot, lot worse.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

While sometimes I worry that my sense (fashion, music, whatever) is a little too caught up in my teens/20s and hasn't changed enough with the times that video really, really put things in perspective that it could be a lot, lot worse.

In the 90s you could be the lead singer of a hit "punk" band and be really really really untalented on every level. It was a magical time in the music industry.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The best way to watch any horror series is in reverse order because the movies go from worst to best which is better than best to worst.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Hollismason posted:

The best way to watch any horror series is in reverse order because the movies go from worst to best which is better than best to worst.
Is Friday the 13th the exception that proves the rule? No way is the first one the best.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Dream Warriors, Hellbound, and Child's Play 2 are all superior to their originals.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The principle is still sound you still go from the worst of the bunch to the best of the bunch.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Basebf555 posted:

In the 90s you could be the lead singer of a hit "punk" band and be really really really untalented on every level. It was a magical time in the music industry.

Now now, that was exclusive to the late 90s. In the early 90s you had to be in a hit hair metal band.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Hollismason posted:

This also works for TV shows but the payoff takes 140 hours

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Hollismason posted:

I went to a showing of the first three robocop movies that followed this format and this held true but it also gave me an appreciation for the third one. Watching the bad movies when you’re all excited to go can make them a lot better.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Imagine watching all those hours of Friday the 13th in reverse expecting an explanation as to why Jason has a weed patch.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

That was also true in the 70s and 80s

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

thats just true of punk in general

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Hollismason posted:

As one of my possibles for doing another of the thread's viewing Ironman challenges is doing X amount of franchises in X days, that was one of the discussion tangents I've been rolling around along with covering any games/comics/books that were part of a franchise.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I think the only series that doesn't work with is Halloween and that' only because the 2018 version is so good. All the others including reboots it works with.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Hollismason posted:

I think the only series that doesn't work with is Halloween and that' only because the 2018 version is so good. All the others including reboots it works with.

Just watch Halloween 2018 right before the first, I mean it's technically Halloween 2.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

Dream Warriors, Hellbound, and Child's Play 2 are all superior to their originals.

Eh. Dream Warriors is better than 1, yes. Hellbound is not better than Hellraiser, but it does have more "stuff" in it. Same for Child's Play 2 as compared to 1. Hellraiser and Childs Play are taunt well told films that are a twisted love story and a movie about the fears of single motherhood. Their sequels expand on the visual imagery and action but aren't really "better."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Darko posted:

Eh. Dream Warriors is better than 1, yes. Hellbound is not better than Hellraiser, but it does have more "stuff" in it. Same for Child's Play 2 as compared to 1. Hellraiser and Childs Play are taunt well told films that are a twisted love story and a movie about the fears of single motherhood. Their sequels expand on the visual imagery and action but aren't really "better."

Agreed on Hellraiser II, as much as I love it and wouldn't trade it in for the much safer sequel we easily could've gotten, Hellraiser is still the superior film overall.

Disagree on Child's Play 2 though, I really don't see any areas where it isn't just straight-up better than the original. The original is really good, Child's Play 2 is legitimately great. But I think the overall point still stands, that the trajectory of these series always seems to go in one direction and if you were to watch them in reverse maybe the fact that they'd gradually improve as you go on would make it easier to get through them all. Like, even if Dream Warriors is clearly the best Nightmare film, the first two are still going to seem good compared to Dream Master, Dream Child and Freddy's Dead.