Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

My commute to work is simultaneously more worrying, but also reassuring that this stuff is mostly better regulated now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Ah, there it is. The panel at 36:13 finished killing off my interest. I brute-forced it, rushed through to the end of part 2 (then the end of the game), and haven't started it back up since. I should note that the explanatory note on the panel door, as well as some of the other info (like lines through some gate names and, iirc, some of the color coding) was not in the game when this area was first released. I just couldn't tell if it was working as intended, if there was another route I was supposed to be taking instead for completion or achievements (which, apparently, yes), I knew I'd missed a billion other things...I lost patience. Which is a rarity for me in these kinds of games. As it turns out, I did indeed I also had no idea UGU was there. It's apparently ARG-related, somehow.

This particular point's especially frustrating because, like previous route junctions, as far as I can tell there's no indication which route is "proper", or what you'd need to do to get all photos across both of them. What I want to emphasize to folks who haven't played the game is that when you reach one of these forks, you know you're at a fork, and you know you're about to screw yourself out of photos and completion, but you don't know how. The game does that to you repeatedly, a terrible design choice in among so many, many good ones.

SelenicMartian, would you like me to let the devs know you're running this LP?

Also fantastic trainlink, thank you for that!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Dec 25, 2018

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Zeniel posted:

It's also quite strange when you photograph various bits of decayed infrastructure and then photograph some giant collapse in the same room.

'#24 crumbling pillar, #25 Giant pile of rubble, probably also includes said crumbling pillar.'

Speaking of crumbling pillars, I was expecting that trap room from a few updates back to actually collapse a building topside, but we had that penthouse suite with a full view of Stalburg and nothing looked gone.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Glazius posted:

Speaking of crumbling pillars, I was expecting that trap room from a few updates back to actually collapse a building topside, but we had that penthouse suite with a full view of Stalburg and nothing looked gone.

There is actually some residual damage to the building. The Walter tower has kind of a smaller front part to it, that you can clearly see has collapsed into itself from the penthouse. You can even see some emergency services attending to it too I believe. I don't think SelenicMartian looked down at the base of the tower enough to see it.

I really enjoy the part we are up to in this lp, at this point you've just spend so much time underground that every time you're forced to deeper underground it just feels like we're taking some horrible step backwards and make everything so wonderfully claustrophobic.

Zeniel fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 25, 2018

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Zeniel posted:

I really enjoy the part we are up to in this lp, at this point you've just spend so much time underground that every time you're forced to deeper underground it just feels like we're taking some horrible step backwards and make everything so wonderfully claustrophobic.

Yeah, it's so full of "No! Not down!" and "How many levels of weird operational but abandoned underground industry and infrastructure city needs???"

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Zeniel posted:

I don't think SelenicMartian looked down at the base of the tower enough to see it.

He did not, I didn't say anything since it's a minor detail, and the penthouse's secret is way more interesting

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

23/ I'll miss that lively wrench, and not just in the "Should have brought it for a puzzle!" sense.

Discendo Vox posted:

SelenicMartian, would you like me to let the devs know you're running this LP?
Do they collect statistics of how fast people become fatigued with their magnum opus?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

SelenicMartian posted:

23/ I'll miss that lively wrench, and not just in the "Should have brought it for a puzzle!" sense.

Do they collect statistics of how fast people become fatigued with their magnum opus?

That spot you say you don't think you're going to, at 3:07 or so? It's the very first place you visit after the new map transition.

Regarding the cistern elevator, as an example of how much I was rushing at that point, I didn't realize you could reduce its speed and did a horrible speedrun to get on top of it- definitely not advised. The box on top has a "do not step" notice on it to let you know you can, well, step on it. The whole area is a reference to a Japanese flood prevention cistern system of similar scale.

I also didn't know about the bypass.

I think the mystery photo is actually of a specific break in the underside of the scaffold, but it's hard to make out in the dark. I also think you'd already snapped the lower part of the broken walkway from the top of that area, so you were good there already.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
There's actually a far quicker and easier way to cheese the cistern elevator. You can just ignore the puzzle entirely by simply using the manual function to nudge the elevator down low enough so that you can climb out of the elevator and onto the top of the elevator, this actually is high enough to allow you to climb up onto the catwalk above, although this was probably not by design.

My first idea was to race the elevator to the top as in the walkthrough but I didn't realize you could slow the elevators ascent.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Hey, there's our mushroom monster! (And like I thought... not very scary when you can walk right up to it. It's a bit disconcerting, but I was more disconcerted with the Masked One appearance after the coffee.)

This update found us with more of the same: a somewhat cool area (a couple, actually) that you just kinda walk around, with a needlessly convoluted puzzle to do. I believe it was around here that the fatigue started really settling in; I mean, I like exploring an environment, but seriously, how long have we spent underground like this? And you've already used a noose! Should have gone with just this one, because it's a bit better presented than the other... much more sinister, even if the lack of body is a little problematic. At least this update we seemed to be going up (... and up. Yeesh, how far underground was Mark?)

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
If you kind of rush through the game, it honestly doesn't seem quite as deep underground as you might initially think.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I gotta say I think Mirror's Edge did a much better job with this puzzle set piece. Possibly because Faith moves at more than a leisurely stroll and her legs aren't made of paper mache.

But after all that we have several unanswered questions. Namely: how did the truck and car get down there? How did they plan on removing them once they were done? Why are they in such good condition after being abandoned for ~30 years? And most importantly, what rear end in a top hat leans a pallet up against a car?

BernieLomax
May 29, 2002
Gifu is incidentally the septic truck in my summer car

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

BernieLomax posted:

Gifu is incidentally the septic truck in my summer car

The joke of it is that Sisu is a company that makes trucks; while there also is a commonly available pastille by the name of Sisu. The candy's usage of Fraktur lettering confuses people.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Finally found the bloody thread for this.

Really enjoying this LP. And also really liking the look of the game honestly. I dunno if I could deal with the puzzles but I really loved the environmental work in Half Life 2, and I think Source has a really good feel to it for run down industrial areas, so I like that someone made run down industry wanderer: the game.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

There are routes at either end by which trucks could have come in; they're fenced off.

I think the INFRA devs probably actually fully modeled all of the spaces for internal geometric consistency- they're obsessive sticklers for stuff like that.

count_von_count
Nov 6, 2012

Mark at 19:56: "Not another thing to fall from!"

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

There are routes at either end by which trucks could have come in; they're fenced off.

I think the INFRA devs probably actually fully modeled all of the spaces for internal geometric consistency- they're obsessive sticklers for stuff like that.

So, if you were to count the distance you're moving vertically through every level, you never actually end up in a place that is clearly underground but logically should be way above ground or vice versa? And do the distances match the town map we've seen? I've lost track.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

I read this as a Bible quote. Mark 19:56, "Not another thing to fall from."

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

So, if you were to count the distance you're moving vertically through every level, you never actually end up in a place that is clearly underground but logically should be way above ground or vice versa? And do the distances match the town map we've seen? I've lost track.

I would assume that the presence of vehicles in the cistern thing is probably not that unbelievable, since people have to actually build the things in the first place. It sort of looks like we stumbled on the cistern as it was abandoned mid-construction.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

Probably not one to one laterally, but pretty close. I don't think the game has any "clipping within itself" moments, and the devs did things like make complete, detailed, accurate maps of the entire Stalburg region, including locations and infrastructure.

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

A rocket fuel made of Doritos? Yeah, I could kind of see it.
Just popping in to say this is a great thread and great LP. This game is exactly the sort that I'd rather watch to appreciate than actually play so I hope more episodes come out soon.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

24/ No, no, no, no, no, NO!

So... this has been Act 2.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

So we finally meet the elusive Robin and your reaction is probably the correct one. Especially after this long.
Yes. Fully justified reaction.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I physically facepalmed.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I know that Robin has probably been indirectly responsible for a ton of what Mark's been going through, but I completely don't remember the voice. Anyone care to enlighten me?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Oh, you'd have absolutely no idea who Robin is unless you obsessively read every document in Act 1.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Ah, if that level of detail is needed then I'd definitely not know, it's been too long. To the voice actor's credit, listening to Robin tells me everything I need to know about him.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Is there any way you can notice the teeny tiny mistake Robin made and not have the power plant explode?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Well I doubt a hardhat would've done much to protect you from electricity arcing between generators but on the plus side they had some remarkably clean burning coal so maybe the environmental damage from blowing up the plant won't be so bad.

Plus, it's not like it would've mattered anyway. We already set the fuel supply on fire and just ran away without doing anything.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I heard a story about an electrical sync incident that may have made the funny pages from a Navy reactor guy.

He was an instructor on the training sub that never goes in the water, doesn't have a trainee that day so he's manning the reactor station himself while other trainees and instructors are doing their thing. He's bored out of his mind, so he's staring at the clock waiting for lunchtime, messing with the distracted helm trainee on one side by occasionally reaching over and nudging the wheel, and gradually becoming aware of a very strange conversation at the electrical station on his other side.

Apparently there's two electrical systems and a synchrometer that shows when it's safe to connect the two. It's a little spinning dial, 12 is synched, but really hitting the switch anywhere from like 11:55 to 12:05 is fine. The instructor and trainee were working on connecting those systems at that time, and from the sound of it, the trainee was repeatedly missing the window.

"connect it when it hits 12."
"right, 12, got it."

reactor guy glances over to see the synchrometer pass 12

"do you need help?"
"no, I got it, hit it at 12."

synchrometer passes 12 again. reactor guy wonders what's going on but goes back to staring at the clock, it's 11:59 and lunch is all he has on his mind.

"are you sure you have this?"
"yes, I connect it when it's at 12."

synchrometer passes 12 again. despite being the second-most-fixated person on the clock approaching 12, reactor guy has not realized what's happening yet.

"12!"

what seems like every single alarm and red light on the electrical and reactor stations go off as the trainee slams the connection switch at 12. on the clock. but 6 on the synchrometer.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Why the hell does that synchrometer device have what sounds like hours and minutes on the dial then?

Sounds like bull to me.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

The boot holding the door open is a great touch, but I feel they missed an opportunity by not having a few fire extinguishers in the corridor near the coal fire - the closest one empty, the next one broken, and the furthest one working but by the time you get to it the fire is too large and hot for it to handle.

You know, a lot of those exit doors look like the really cheap ones with the locks that aren't particuarly well connected to the door itself, and for that matter are notoriously vulnerable to breaking if you hammer a screwdriver into them. I kind of hope there's a puzzle later on where one solution is kicking a door down, leaving, then turning around and taking a photo of it. "Uh... it was like that when I got here."

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

mortons stork posted:

Is there any way you can notice the teeny tiny mistake Robin made and not have the power plant explode?

Nope it's meant to happen that way, it's part of the story.

Also didn't know about the coal line catching fire, weird..

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I'm pretty sure they only put in that 'spot repaired' thing to clue people in that this is a plot related gently caress-up. Probably after feedback from how they ended their last episode. I only say that because what we did there is kind of the opposite of repairing and all...

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Would the coal fire actually do anything if you waited long enough? Like turn the coal tank into an inferno or something? That seemed like a strange thing to have happen.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

I am enjoying this LP.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

ROBIN! :argh:

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib

Kibayasu posted:

Would the coal fire actually do anything if you waited long enough? Like turn the coal tank into an inferno or something? That seemed like a strange thing to have happen.

Don't know, but I think he made a mistake at the point the coal fire was ignited. It was a bit hard to see, being a black thing half buried in a pile of coal, and he never managed to point the flashlight exactly at it.

If I recall correctly, our old friend UXO was there, half buried in the coal.

I'm actually surprised he survived, I guess he managed to move away at just the right moment.

I think it was moved a bit in one of the post-release updates, and the photo guide he's following hasn't been updated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Oopsie doopsie! :downs: