Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
To me Childs Play 1 is better because it’s the only one to work with the doll as a creepy uncanny thing rather than just a weird little goblin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Drunkboxer posted:

To me Childs Play 1 is better because it’s the only one to work with the doll as a creepy uncanny thing rather than just a weird little goblin.

Curse of Chucky is really good at this too to be honest.

Child's Play is such a strange series because you can divide it into subsections. 1-3 are the typical slashers, Bride and Seed are horror comedies, then Curse and Cult are almost seperate entities.

Curse is a weird slasher/almost haunted house film? and Cult is loving bonkers.

Both of those movies loving rule by the way.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Curse is almost a Giallo, right down to the ending.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

Curse is almost a Giallo, right down to the ending.

Curse and Cult are almost part of my dream horror franchise where they let a different director with totally different styles to create a film in an established franchise.

They are both so wildly different in style and tone and it really sucks that we're next stuck with a remake that by all accounts will just be a boring retread of the first film when it would be so much better to continue the franchise with another new shot.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Curse and Cult are the best fan films.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Accidentally forgot to bookmark the new thread and havent lurked in 25 pages. Can someone sum up what I've missed?

For Content: Just saw Bird Box. It was pretty okay. There were a few really poorly written/acted scenes though. It was one of the best representation of Cosmic Horror I've seen in a while though. About to watch The Night Eats the World while I drink tea with honey and recover from a cold.

Gejimayu fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 28, 2018

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Gejimayu posted:

Accidentally forgot to bookmark the new thread and havent lurked in 25 pages. Can someone sum up what I've missed?

Conclusive evidence that Jason X is the best F13 movie was posted and everyone agreed, especially Lurdiak. It was a Christmas miracle.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I think my ONLY complaints with Curse of Chucky are it's maybe a few minutes too long and most of the kills were very lame. I liked it a lot overall.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

OldTennisCourt posted:

Curse and Cult are almost part of my dream horror franchise where they let a different director with totally different styles to create a film in an established franchise.

They are both so wildly different in style and tone and it really sucks that we're next stuck with a remake that by all accounts will just be a boring retread of the first film when it would be so much better to continue the franchise with another new shot.

Did Don Mancini say he's not making Chucky movies now? Because people seem to be convinced that the remake means no more real Chucky movies.

Mancini is still supposed to be making a final movie and also a TV series. He retains the rights to Chucky, Charles Lee Ray et al.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

King Vidiot posted:

Mancini is still supposed to be making a final movie and also a TV series. He retains the rights to Chucky, Charles Lee Ray et al.

Wait, so the only thing MGM owns is the Child's Play title and nothing else? How the hell did Mancini pull that off?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Origami Dali posted:

Wait, so the only thing MGM owns is the Child's Play title and nothing else? How the hell did Mancini pull that off?

From the wiki page on the series, it sounds like Child's Play 2 was in production when United Artists was about to be bought by some Australian group of investors who didn't want to produce horror films. So he was then able to shop the movie around with plenty of different interested parties, so they ended up producing it independently and Universal did distribution.

So I don't know the specific details but Mancini was in a pretty rare position of having a pretty highly sought after property but free to negotiate for the best possible deal. I imagine that's how he ended up retaining so much of the rights.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

The Child's play reboot he gonna be a robot.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

King Vidiot posted:

Did Don Mancini say he's not making Chucky movies now? Because people seem to be convinced that the remake means no more real Chucky movies.

I'd say that's probably from generally once there's a remake, there's rarely a continuation of the original franchise. Halloween might be the only franchise that's continued after a remake that I can think of.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

M_Sinistrari posted:

I'd say that's probably from generally once there's a remake, there's rarely a continuation of the original franchise. Halloween might be the only franchise that's continued after a remake that I can think of.

It just depends how serious the main star(s) are about staying retired. Like, they went the reboot route with Nightmare on Elm Street and Halloween mostly because they thought Jamie Lee Curtis and Robert Englund were done with the roles(and to a lesser extent Heather Langenkamp I suppose). I'm sure if Englund decided he wanted to have one last hurrah as Freddy we'd see that remake completely discarded and ignored, just like what happened when all of the sudden Jamie Lee expressed interest.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I believe I read that he still plans to make movies and even a TV show that follow his continuity, and that the remake is separate.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

wasnt englund just on some lovely sitcom as freddy im pretty sure hell do whatever as long as you pay him

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

wasnt englund just on some lovely sitcom as freddy im pretty sure hell do whatever as long as you pay him

There's definitely been a softening in the past few years but for a good while he was pretty adamant that he was happy to pass the torch and hang up the glove. But most of those comments were probably before everyone realized just how much of a disaster the remake would turn out to be.

I'm with you though, I never fully bought into the idea that he would never return to the role again. There are ways to shoot around his age, as long as he's willing to spend the time in the makeup chair every morning, which I think was his main motivation for retiring, he was just done with those marathon 20 hour days of getting up at 4am to sit in a makeup chair for 8 hours.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Cult of Chucky rules because it's just totally batshit but never feels like the lame humor Bride and Seed fell into. It's also loving brutal, I'm pretty sure it has by far the most brutal death in the entire series.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Considering how the last Chucky film ended If be surprised if there wasn't a sequel. I mean maybe that's just how he's ending the series but I doubt it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Cult of Chucky definitely won me over, which is hard to do once I'm not really feeling a movie. At the halfway point I wasn't really very into it but the last act was just so off the wall that it made up for the rest and then some.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Isn’t there some weird rights thing with Chucky that plays into why they’re rebooting it with a different looking doll, or am I totally misremembering?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Isn’t there some weird rights thing with Chucky that plays into why they’re rebooting it with a different looking doll, or am I totally misremembering?

The creator is pissed about the remake but nah, I think you might be mixing up the Friday the 13th legal issues.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

OldTennisCourt posted:

The creator is pissed about the remake but nah, I think you might be mixing up the Friday the 13th legal issues.

I looked it up and it seems that the rights to the first movie are separate from the rest of the franchise, so that’s why there are potentially dueling incarnations of the character.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Yeah I think the doll can be named "Chucky" and the movie can be named "Child's Play" but beyond that and the doll's appearance (which they seem to just be shamelessly copying from the original Good Guy) they can't make any other nods to the franchise.

I mean, I can't say "any" because I don't know the specifics. Maybe they'll call the AI that operates Chucky "DEMBALLA" or something.

e: Give me the upgrade I BEG OF YOU!!

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 29, 2018

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It's a robot. Like nothing supernatural apparently the plot synopsis is that a Chinese worker reprograms the doll with no limitations

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Hollismason posted:

It's a robot. Like nothing supernatural apparently the plot synopsis is that a Chinese worker reprograms the doll with no limitations

Hey what if we remade a movie but sucked out literally everything cool about it

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I'll just go ahead and admit I'm watching that dumb movie on opening weekend regardless, unless it gets shitcanned. And there's like a non-zero chance that'll happen soo...

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Basebf555 posted:

It's not really as focused on the topic of serial killers, but you might enjoy Summer of '84 as like a Rear Window type situation where kids suspect a guy and start investigating him. I thought it was decent but others in the thread seemed to enjoy it even more than I did.

Thank you for this. Just finished it and liked it a lot.

That ending was unexpected :psyduck:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Ehud posted:

Thank you for this. Just finished it and liked it a lot.

That ending was unexpected :psyduck:

Yeah the ending of that movie is quite the loving swerve.

edit:

Just finished watching The Editor (2014) and I have to say that if you like gory, weird as hell parodies of giallo films and italian horror in general your going to really love it. There are so many blink and you will miss it gags of scenes in so many different Italian films.

I think it would be offputting though if you were not a fan of giallo. However it has a lot of gratuitous violence and lots of nudity so uh pretty easy to sit through as horror movies go.

It's also FREE to watch on Tubi Tv. ( Remember enable adblocker)

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 29, 2018

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Is the Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer: 30th Anniversary Edition that's available on Prime the uncut version of Henry or does it have parts cut/edited?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Kvlt! posted:

Is the Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer: 30th Anniversary Edition that's available on Prime the uncut version of Henry or does it have parts cut/edited?

I'm thinking it's uncut since it's a 4K edition.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

M_Sinistrari posted:

I'm thinking it's uncut since it's a 4K edition.

That's what I thought too but I just want to double check. Anyone know the runtime for the completely uncut version? I can compare it against what's on amazon.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Kvlt! posted:

That's what I thought too but I just want to double check. Anyone know the runtime for the completely uncut version? I can compare it against what's on amazon.

Fully uncut is 1h23m

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

This concerns me because the version on amazon is 1h22 min. Must be cut.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

If it's the anniversary restoration it's a un cut version.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Oh ok cool. Must've rounded up/down the runtime. Thanks!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sometimes they don't count end credits.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
If you're not British or importing from the UK, you can safely assume it's uncut, and I think now it's even uncut there.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ha, my ma got me this horror movie themed trivial pursuit game and I opened it up thinking the questions would be all softballs, but there's some deep cuts in here.

Here's a couple rondo questions from the game.

What is the name of the pub that protagonist David Kessler visits at the start of An American Werewolf in London (1981)? this is an easy one

Over how many years was Eraserhead (1977) filmed?

In Audition (1999), what number is Asami designated in the audition process?

Who directed The House on Sorority Row (1983) as well as episodes of Lizzie McGuire and Even Stevens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Hollismason posted:

Yeah the ending of that movie is quite the loving swerve.

edit:

Just finished watching The Editor (2014) and I have to say that if you like gory, weird as hell parodies of giallo films and italian horror in general your going to really love it. There are so many blink and you will miss it gags of scenes in so many different Italian films.

I think it would be offputting though if you were not a fan of giallo. However it has a lot of gratuitous violence and lots of nudity so uh pretty easy to sit through as horror movies go.

It's also FREE to watch on Tubi Tv. ( Remember enable adblocker)

Hah! I watched this before I got into Italian horror and I really liked it. I recently rewatched it and now I love it. The attention to detail is amazing, even down to the weird dubs.