Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Got F For Fake as a surprise Christmas present from a friend! Very excited to watch it because everyone I know who’s seen it really likes it and because my knowledge of it is basically none. I know the basic concept but nothing about the execution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

F for Fake is cool because Welles took something he was already amazing at (Orating, talking with an audience etc.) and found a way to do it with a lot of cinematic pizazz and energy. It's a really cool movie.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
F for Fake is also cool because Welles wears a cape in it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Make sure you check out all the supplements. The Tom Snyder interview is great, plus it has One Man Band in HD - a doc by Oja Kodar on Welles' unfinished projects (including The Other Side of the Wind if you want to see how bad the workprint looked compared to the final film). Also has a straight documentary on Elmyr using a lot of the same footage, as well as bits with Clifford Irving and the Howard Hughes conference.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Supplements really help me appreciate the films sometimes. I watched King of Jazz and wasn't sure what to make of it at first. But the commentary has really helped to add context and historical importance. I gotta go through the rest of the extras soon.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

checkplease posted:

Supplements really help me appreciate the films sometimes. I watched King of Jazz and wasn't sure what to make of it at first. But the commentary has really helped to add context and historical importance. I gotta go through the rest of the extras soon.

I'll usually cherry pick supplements, especially commentaries, but I rewatched the film with that and watched every single extra.

It's easily my favorite blind buy of the year.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

checkplease posted:

Godzilla's commentaries are good for this too. A separate one for each version of the film!

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I know it’s blasphemous digital, but criterion films are on sale for $10 each on iTunes.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

smallmouth posted:

I know it’s blasphemous digital, but criterion films are on sale for $10 each on iTunes.

That's actually a decent deal. Looks like most of the titles up that had DVD releases, but not Blu-ray have 1080p versions as they did on Filmstruck.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
What They Found: Criterion Contributors Share Their 2018 Discoveries

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1078437534370332673

Extremely great news

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I saw Police Story 1 earlier this year, good stuff. Very much looking forward to these releases.

How many honest to god sequels are in the Collection? Sanjuro is the only other one that is even coming to mind.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Raxivace posted:

How many honest to god sequels are in the Collection? Sanjuro is the only other one that is even coming to mind.

If you count the sequels from the Zatoichi and Lone Wolf + Cub boxsets, quite a lot. Also Beyond the Valley of the Dolls is sort of a sequel

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Also the Before Trilogy.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

And the Antoine Doinel films. Saraband is basically a sequel to Scenes from a Marriage. If you count Eclipse, then there's the Leningrad Cowboys sequel and concert film.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Also, the Apu Trilogy and The Testament of Dr. Mabuse (which is a sequel to both Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler and M!)

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Wow that's a lot more than I realized. I really forgot about those big boxsets.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Man, I just bought the UK Eureka sets earlier this year.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

This is really cool.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I have the Shout set, but given the rough shape of I, I'd be willing to buy it again.

I always figured it was just a badly preserved film and this was the best we got, but I'll be happy to be wrong.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Asian cinema has generally been treated like poo poo until recently because there were simply no precautions put in place for preservation.

Hell, Mysterious Object at Noon was made in 2000 and the original negative was lost, leaving only a subtitled print in an Austrian archive.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wong Kar When

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just watched what's likely my last film for the year, Andrei Rublev.

It's the sort of film I'm going to have to think over for a day or two. Just a constant stream of indelible images. It's almost overwhelming. I honestly felt like I was taken back to the 1500s and woke up back in 2018 when it was over.

(This is the "official" cut - I'm going watch the longer Passion cut sometime)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

Just watched what's likely my last film for the year, Andrei Rublev.

It's the sort of film I'm going to have to think over for a day or two. Just a constant stream of indelible images. It's almost overwhelming. I honestly felt like I was taken back to the 1500s and woke up back in 2018 when it was over.

(This is the "official" cut - I'm going watch the longer Passion cut sometime)

I absolutely love "The Passion...". One of the most significant things (in my own humble) censored out of the "Official Cut" is during the first appearance of Irma Raush (the idiot girl) when she enters the church she just stands there and pisses on the floor. :eyepop: Even better when you find out that Irma Raush was married to Tarkovsky at the time. There are certain other instances of puritan censorship that I simply cannot overlook in the 185 minute cut.

The film is magnificent either way (especially the restoration) but it's shameful that they cut out certain things, and I consider "The Passion..." to be the definitive statement. It's certainly the last word on the artist's struggle.

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice
New Year’s image is out:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The geniuses at Criterion Forum pointed out so far:

Klute
An Angel at My Table
Swing Time
Bamboozled (bamboo sleed)
La vie de Jesus
Diamonds of the Night
One Sings, The Other Doesn't
War and Peace (Rabbit warren and peas)
Bringing Up Baby
The Koker Trilogy (three cokes)

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Looks like Children of Men on the right there too, and someone on Facebook thought of Von Trier's Europa (Euro on the bjorns, Pa for fathers) which...more Von Trier, yay /s

I got unreasonably excited that the clock could be After Hours and the sled being Citizen Kane, but I doubt either of those are in the pipeline.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Any guesses what the White Owl eyeing the Surprised Worm might mean?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I feel like the S balloon should be something obvious, but if the Crierion forum members haven't figured it out yet, I doubt I'll be able to.

Edit: The Last Airbender :haw:

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 1, 2019

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Any guesses what the White Owl eyeing the Surprised Worm might mean?

CriterionForum says Hedwig and the Angry Inch.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Finally Cool Runnings gets the treatment it deserves

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

No joke, if they released a special edition of Cool Runnings, I'd buy it on day one.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I, Butthole posted:

someone on Facebook thought of Von Trier's Europa (Euro on the bjorns, Pa for fathers) which...more Von Trier, yay /s

There's two of them, so it's probably Agniezska Holland's Europa Europa, I'm not huge fan of either, but whatevs. I'm most excited about War and Peace, Angel at My Table, The Heiress (Air-S, the balloon) and Koker Trilogy.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Egbert Souse posted:

The geniuses at Criterion Forum pointed out so far:

Klute
An Angel at My Table
Swing Time
Bamboozled (bamboo sleed)
La vie de Jesus
Diamonds of the Night
One Sings, The Other Doesn't
War and Peace (Rabbit warren and peas)
Bringing Up Baby
The Koker Trilogy (three cokes)

They'd go from Do The Right Thing to Bamboozled? I mean, I love any Spike Lee getting added, but I figured they'd go with something safer like Malcom X or 25th Hour.

Samuel Clemens posted:

No joke, if they released a special edition of Cool Runnings, I'd buy it on day one.

:same:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

InterrupterJones posted:

They'd go from Do The Right Thing to Bamboozled? I mean, I love any Spike Lee getting added, but I figured they'd go with something safer like Malcom X or 25th Hour.

:same:

Probably because it's one of the few Warner Bros. owns that they haven't issued themselves. She's Gotta Have It will probably come eventually, too, between it having a new 4K master and the Netflix show.

Malcolm X already has a packed, excellent Blu-ray. Also worth saying Kino has a bunch of Lee films coming out this year from Universal and Disney licenses - Jungle Fever, Mo Better Blues, Son of Sam, and Clockers.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The best part about the X dvd/blu-ray is that it comes with the amazing 1972 Arnold Perl documentary.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

InterrupterJones posted:

Bamboozled is hard to find, underappreciated, and in need of restoration. I'd love to see Malcolm X, too, tho

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I would unironically buy a Criterion Spike Lee Cinema set

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Bamboozled in particular would be an interesting release since it's a mix of digital video and 16mm at the very onset of digital feature cinematography

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Has anyone worked w Mulvaney at Criterion? I sent him an email a few days ago and haven’t heard back. I don’t expect to hear back until maybe later this week considering the holidays, etc but wanted to see if people had an idea for a timeline. Thanks!