Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

PokeJoe posted:

While we're at it drug tests are just as bad. Unconstitutional as unreasonable search and seizure of my piss

fortunately any place that drug tests is a place you wouldn't want to work at (e.g. government, non-US companies, etc)

Ciaphas posted:

anyway given that i made it to the in-person interview stage, is there any point in asking for feedback or further communication with the company in question? ive been inclined to think no, since their response was a pat "click button to reject candidate" on greenhouse.io

i have asked for feedback at multiple places and none of them have ever actually given it to me, even after the HR person agrees to it initially

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

that job i flunked at the interview for last week? they're still making recruiting posts for that position on job search sites

guess they didn't have another better candidate after all; rather incensed about that, not gonna lie

doesn’t mean they didn’t and it fell through. people accept, then reneg on offers too

quote:

anyway given that i made it to the in-person interview stage, is there any point in asking for feedback or further communication with the company in question? ive been inclined to think no, since their response was a pat "click button to reject candidate" on greenhouse.io

like, you can try, nothing bad will happen, but almost certainly their policy is “no”

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

background checks are easy to pass unless you're a fuckup.

i had to sign off on giving up all my medical records and non-medical mental health poo poo, which they pulled.

I worked with a guy in his 40s who can't work any place that does background checks around here because a cop caught him with weed when he was in high school in a shithole state that doesn't seal juvenile records. one of the Dakotas - forget which one

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Munkeymon posted:

I worked with a guy in his 40s who can't work any place that does background checks around here because a cop caught him with weed when he was in high school in a shithole state that doesn't seal juvenile records. one of the Dakotas - forget which one

lol someone who smoked weed as a teenager? I don't think we want anyone like that around here

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Munkeymon posted:

he should definitely be able to get that expunged if he can demonstrate hardship because of it and has a few hundred bucks to pay an attorney to handle it for him, but yeah poo poo like that is incredibly dumb.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

ADINSX posted:

lol someone who smoked weed as a teenager? I don't think we want anyone like that around here

yeah c-suite is for people who do coke not weed

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

yeah c-suite is for people who do coke not weed

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ADINSX posted:

Even better, being condescending while still supporting the other side of the argument. We know your future employer obviously wants to know everything they're legally allowed to know, thats why there should be a law that prevents background check companies from revealing certain information. That law could also specify standard forms for two organizations interacting with each other, lets say if a company did their background checks in house. When you call up the school and ask "did x person go there" then you get back a "yes/no" not the full transcripts (that contain the deadname)

you and i will both be cold in our graves and the united states won't have consistent laws along these lines

lol @ the idea that your employer won't be able to rummage through your private matters at will. that would be interfering with the holy right of free contract between a transnational corporation and the individual wage worker!

ADINSX posted:

You can bet if that check included information that would make a CIS white guy uncomfortable, like idk, the weird sex positions they're into that law would already exist.

there are already lots of things that background checks get into that would make cis white guys uncomfortable

i mentioned one myself: a background check firm demanded my tax returns, twice

some other fun ones:
  • divorce proceedings
  • drug convictions
  • debt counseling

like, invading your privacy extensively is the norm

getting your deadname listed in an hr database somewhere is not the only unpleasant outcome. everything about you is slurped into documents you would really, really rather not have them be in

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Pie Colony posted:

fortunately any place that drug tests is a place you wouldn't want to work at (e.g. government, non-US companies, etc)

some states offer tax breaks for implementing drug test programs :smith:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I do so many random drug screens and dumb paperwork I’m numb at this point:smith:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

love to hand out pii to incompetents who have zero incentive to protect it

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pie Colony posted:

The only companies that I've ever heard of doing drug tests are American. It's certainly not common in Europe.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

feedmegin posted:

The only companies that I've ever heard of doing drug tests are American. It's certainly not common in Europe.

it sounds super illegal so it probably is

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

feedmegin posted:

"non-US companies" is a euphemism for "Indian IT megacorp"

tcs / infosys / wipro are infamous for drug testing, along with every other privacy invasion you can think of

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Progressive JPEG posted:

My old manager had his filled-out onboarding papers emailed to the entire company. So, salary, SSN, phone, address, work history. And since his wife worked there, included all of her information as well.
Kicker was he came in at a higher pay than many that had worked there (management experience), so there was a lot of discrimination lawsuits filed when people found out they were being screwed.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you and i will both be cold in our graves and the united states won't have consistent laws along these lines

lol @ the idea that your employer won't be able to rummage through your private matters at will. that would be interfering with the holy right of free contract between a transnational corporation and the individual wage worker!

there are already lots of things that background checks get into that would make cis white guys uncomfortable

i mentioned one myself: a background check firm demanded my tax returns, twice

some other fun ones:
  • divorce proceedings
  • drug convictions
  • debt counseling

like, invading your privacy extensively is the norm

getting your deadname listed in an hr database somewhere is not the only unpleasant outcome. everything about you is slurped into documents you would really, really rather not have them be in

loving lmao is you think divorcees face even remotely similar harassment or discrimination to queers.

but again you're basically just saying "the way things are suck oh well ". whereas everyone else is saying "the way things are sucks and should change ".

the background check company could easily confirm all the salient points of an applicant without telling the HR at your employer I relevant things like your trans status, hiv status, unimportant criminal convictions, etc.

the ideal is if everyone had a personal ID and it was illegal for non government entities to store any identifier but your personal ID. just fully normalize personal identification. but in the current lovely world, at the very least background check vendors could show even an ounce of restraint.

did I mention my transunion credit report still has my old dead name in huge letters on the cover and lists my actual legal name in tiny print as an fka in the last page and they refuse to fix it because I am the product and not a human to them.

existing in this system is dehumanizing :sigh:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

jit bull transpile posted:

existing in this system is dehumanizing :sigh:

yep

not unique to the trans experience -- it is the fundament on which the whole thing is built

you're a disposable human resource. so am i.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

jit bull transpile posted:

loving lmao is you think divorcees face even remotely similar harassment or discrimination to queers.

i'll give you that -- the cases i named that would make cis white males uncomfortable are not matters of pre-employment discrimination but rather career dangers

the danger is not that divorcees will face discrimination, it's that the chinese wall between hr and management will break down such that divorcees are forced into unpleasant economic circumstances

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'll give you that -- the cases i named that would make cis white males uncomfortable are not matters of pre-employment discrimination but rather career dangers

the danger is not that divorcees will face discrimination, it's that the chinese wall between hr and management will break down such that divorcees are forced into unpleasant economic circumstances

jesus christ what is wrong with you

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

ultravoices posted:

jesus christ what is wrong with you

its the shoes

take off the shoes, nbsd, they're somehow cutting off blood flow to the head

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Captain Foo posted:

Where is trans status protected in the us outside of MA

nowhere.... :negative:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i have a solution: gently caress hr and gently caress management

the workers should take ownership of the company and its direction

"why not redistribute its wealth at that point" you may say and that's a loving great idea

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

at this point in history i figure anybody who wants it has it

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I know mine got leaked — thanks OPM

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Pollyanna posted:

i have a solution: gently caress hr and gently caress management

the workers should take ownership of the company and its direction

"why not redistribute its wealth at that point" you may say and that's a loving great idea

the incentives are all hosed up. i guarantee you cooperatively owned firms still perform intrusive background checks and mishandle pii.

amusingly executives usually have even shittier invasions of privacy than your line workers. they eat investors poo poo with a smile and then turn around and visit it on the regular folk

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lancemantis posted:

I know mine got leaked — thanks OPM

I even had done an sf-86 so rip me

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Currently reading the salary negotiation book that nbsd recommended. It's good and I will confidently attempt to own my next job offer.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

qhat posted:

Currently reading the salary negotiation book that nbsd recommended. It's good and I will confidently attempt to own my next job offer.

you're gonna get owned lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
idk if i mentioned it in this thread but earlier this year we passed on someone because he wouldn't give us salary expectations. like, outright refused. i guess he read everyone's favourite salary negotiation article.

he would have been better off just firing off a nice high number tbh, at least then we would have countered with something

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
not that I think that was a great tactic or anything but I doubt that you guys were even all that interested in the dude

I mean you could've just low-balled the hell out of him, what would you be risking?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
funny because my boss assumed the guy wasn't that interested in us if he wouldn't give us a number and we had 6 other interviews that day so vOv

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
"this guy doesn't look desperate and subservient enough, pass"

which may have been a good call idk. who am I to judge here.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Cold on a Cob posted:

idk if i mentioned it in this thread but earlier this year we passed on someone because he wouldn't give us salary expectations. like, outright refused. i guess he read everyone's favourite salary negotiation article.

he would have been better off just firing off a nice high number tbh, at least then we would have countered with something

smh if you think it's the candidate who missed out in this case

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Cold on a Cob posted:

yeah, that’s on you guys, not on the candidate. there’s absolutely no reason why not the applicant should have to strike first at price, especially considering how much of a disadvantage candidates are already at at the negotiating table

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Cold on a Cob posted:

it’s now illegal in multiple states to either ask for someone’s payment history or not reveal the payment details of a job listing should the candidate ask for it fyi

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Cold on a Cob posted:

didnt you live in canada
i thought canadians were supposed to be sane wrt labor relations

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

he’s not owned

he’s not owned!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i'm not the boss i just do the technical interview, so i can't speak to whether this is legal or not in canada

also i'm not defending the what we did, just adding another data point against the "never ever state your salary expectations to a company" advice that gets handed out without consideration for how companies hold all the drat cards

everyone else that day had no problem giving us a number

all of which were 10 to 30k above our budget, lol

but at least with those numbers my boss was able to say "we lost these candidates because y'all won't give me more budget" to his bosses

the talent deficit posted:

smh if you think it's the candidate who missed out in this case

i don't disagree, idk if i posted about it in here but i quit over 14k/yr (i wanted a 24k bump they offered 10k) and they brought me back as a contractor for 44k more per year vOv

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
fwiw we ask what they are expecting for a salary here, not asking what they currently make or made prior

when i'm asked what i make currently in an interview i just state "i want x + 10%" where x is what i'm actually after

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Cold on a Cob posted:

fwiw we ask what they are expecting for a salary here, not asking what they currently make or made prior

when i'm asked what i make currently in an interview i just state "i want x + 10%" where x is what i'm actually after

this is fine but requires you to know what your actual market value is / have some idea of what the company is looking for. if this question was asked early in the process before the candidate had a clear picture of all the responsibilities of the job then it was absolutely correct for them to stand fast. if it was later in the process then they probably just didn't have a very good idea of what the market looked like and also were correct to stand fast. also they could have just been a stubborn rear end.

i'm gonna rule out the first option because of what you said about talking to so many other candidates in the same day. if your boss expects the candidates to be opening the negotiation then they need to wait until the end of the interviewing process- not open with it.