Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Every game in the Playroom does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Steve Yun posted:

Wipeout is really good for that roller coaster feeling. Are there others that are good topsy turby vehicle simulators, whether they are race cars or flight sims?

Track mania. There's a free demo I believe.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

veni veni veni posted:

Every game in the Playroom does.

yeah well

I don't have friends or family

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

kirbysuperstar posted:

yeah well

I don't have friends or family

Same! But there's enough single player stuff to get a bunch of tokens anyway, and the toyroom is really neat. :3:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dewgy posted:

Same! But there's enough single player stuff to get a bunch of tokens anyway, and the toyroom is really neat. :3:

Yeah, I had a bunch of fun and wonder, especially for a freebie

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
There used to be a great Pac Man party game on GameCube where 4 ghosts would play split screen on the tv and they had very limited vision trying to kill Pac Man, who was controlled by a Gameboy Advance and could see the whole map. It was hilarious fun and something like that would be great with social screen vs headset.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

plz dont pull out posted:

Does anyone have any cases/storage options they like for the PSVR? I got some amazon gift cards and I'd like to get something before I throw my headset in my car to move next month.

I bought this thing for 25 euros (I think it was a deal). Looks nice and Sony-esque, is pretty sturdy and keeps my PSVR safe from the terror that is my 2 year old daughter.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

veni veni veni posted:

The best way to handle VR nausea is definitely to play it safe, take breaks and take comfort in knowing that it will likely eventually just go away forever and you'll never have to worry about it again.

The Persistence? What do you mean by no vertical movement? I thought that game was super comfortable and actually was the reason I can do smooth turning now with no issues. I do remember the demo not sitting super well with me though so maybe they changed some poo poo.

Yeah that's the one. I dunno quite how to explain it. From what I recall one of the sticks only let you rotate the camera horizontally. All I can really say is that it felt super restrictive and triggered nausea because of that.

On another note, in Rez VR, is there a way to rotate the view without turning your head 180 degrees?

I'm on the boss of the 4th level and so far, for every section where I've had to either look behind or to the side, the view has auto panned 90/180 degrees. It's not doing it on this boss though, and I'm sitting down to play so it's not that easy to just spin around.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sioux posted:

I bought this thing for 25 euros (I think it was a deal). Looks nice and Sony-esque, is pretty sturdy and keeps my PSVR safe from the terror that is my 2 year old daughter.

That's the official Sony PSVR storage case :ssh:.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I only played the multiplayer Playroom games a few times with friends but they were stupid fun and I'd like to see more of them. Though fundamentally they could be accomplished with just two TV screens for the most part.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Kin posted:

On another note, in Rez VR, is there a way to rotate the view without turning your head 180 degrees?

I'm on the boss of the 4th level and so far, for every section where I've had to either look behind or to the side, the view has auto panned 90/180 degrees. It's not doing it on this boss though, and I'm sitting down to play so it's not that easy to just spin around.

You're not meant to shoot the boss when it's out of view, those moments are supposed to be breathers where you can shoot the doors ahead of you that lead to powerups. You're only able to turn around and shoot because you're in VR. On a TV you wouldn't be able to do that.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

acksplode posted:

You're not meant to shoot the boss when it's out of view, those moments are supposed to be breathers where you can shoot the doors ahead of you that lead to powerups. You're only able to turn around and shoot because you're in VR. On a TV you wouldn't be able to do that.

Aha, i figured as much. I kept on going into those corridors but wasn't sure if i hit a bug with the headset because nothing changed. At one point i must have gone into about 6 of them in a row without the boss jumping back in front of me to target.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i've noticed 2 sources of nausea besides the obvious culprits (like smooth motions). having the headset's "peripheral area" be blurry (which means it's out of focus even when i direct my eyes towards it), and feeling the weight of the headset when i move my head to focus on that area. these two make checking huds virtually always trigger dizziness or discomfort.

i've always been sensitive to ear covering headphones (i get headaches if listen for too long), so maybe i'm just not cut out for VR.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Played the Star Wars vr add on for battlefront. They need to make a whole game of this, like Rogue One for PSVR. EA, get it together man

Got used to Thumper, but now I got worse motion sickness from Borderlands. I turned off all the comfort options because strafing while turning in 30° or 45° increments and tunnel vision just seemed dumb but now here I am with a tummy ache. Gonna try with all the comfort options on tmrw.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's the official Sony PSVR storage case :ssh:.

OK... well I recommend it, sir!
I think the brand is called Big Ben, I guess Sony licensed them then.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Well it seems nice but I can't find it listed on us amazon for some reason. Looks like this the official case for the us but it's 20 bucks more.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LB4KJ90/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_o2IjCb10JCV3F

Good point keep talkin fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Dec 28, 2018

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Ok, so I think I have convinced myself to bite the bullet, my local Target has the Borderlands 2/Beat Saber bundle for $250, and I just so happened to get a $250 check for Christmas from my dad.

Other games I own that have VR support:

RE7
Rez Infinite
Tetris Effect

Someone else tell me this is the correct decision, and also what other games to get.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
As far as I'm concerned you made a great (ludic) decision! You seem very well set to start, with Borderlands 2 and RE7 being normal-length games that should last you a while and Beat Saber being the best thing ever (but also a great way to familiarize yourself with VR since its static point of view helps a lot with potential motion sickness).

If you see those on sale (or you're really hurting for new games), here are my suggestions:

-Superhot VR
-Statik
-Astro Bot Rescue
-Rush of Blood (doesn't seem like a must have, but it's always been a hit at parties, in my experience)

The demo "discs" seem less and less relevant as time goes on, but they're both free content and available on PSN, so you should check those out.

If you like racing games, I'm split between GT Sport and Dirt Rally, but in either case you really should wait for a sale.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Rush of Blood is like $5 bucks and totally worth it. Superhot is fantastic, as are Astrobot and Moss.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Are the bundles out there coming with discs or download codes?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

RE7
Rez Infinite
Tetris Effect

Holy poo poo dude you're in for some fun times.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Fix posted:

Codes. Beat Saber is only digital.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Fix posted:

My Creed was a disc, super hot was a code (they had a physical release in EU but no idea if that bundle is a code or not)

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
My friends seem to say that the Creed/Superhot bundle has Creed on disc and Superhot as a code, and the Astro Bot/Moss has Astro Bot on disc and Moss as a code. My (old, now unavailable) Skyrim bundle had Skyrim on disc.

This is hearsay (and in Canada), by the way, so take it with a grain of salt.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Necrothatcher posted:

Holy poo poo dude you're in for some fun times.

Just got home with the bundle. :bisonyes:

Can't wait to set it up and try it out.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Ok, so I think I have convinced myself to bite the bullet, my local Target has the Borderlands 2/Beat Saber bundle for $250, and I just so happened to get a $250 check for Christmas from my dad.

RE7
Rez Infinite
Tetris Effect

Someone else tell me this is the correct decision, and also what other games to get.

Try the two demo discs, check out any game on sale first. Consider getting PSVR Worlds for $5. Get Rec Room for free. Pixel Ripped 1989 is fun. BattleZone is cool and feels like a giant arcade machine. Try the Call of Duty experience download. I've yet to try Batman VR but it's apparently good (but short so only get it on sale.) Wipeout is great if you want a racing game.

I'd focus on games that are on sale at the moment. Be sure to try demos for anything that has one.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 28, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Beat Saber and Borderlands are both codes. If I knew how sick Borderlands was going to make me feel I’d have given the code away

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 28, 2018

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
One of my move controls won’t sync or charge anymore. Any suggestions? (All it does is blink the little red light when I try to charge)

edit: got it working again.

I pushed the button in the back of the control. I also disconnected all controls and made sure it wasn't connected as control 3. (apparently move controls don't like that)

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 29, 2018

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

I did not realize Ultrawings with move control was something I needed in my life, but it’s there now and I am somewhat more complete.

I’ll be even more complete once I can play it for more than 15 minutes at a stretch.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Does calibrating pupil distance help with motion sickness?

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

It definitely makes things better in game and can help a little with motion sickness but not completely. The only cure for that is your body to eventually get used to it if it can with plenty of breaks rather than pushing yourself and taking some ginseng.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Try putting a fan on you if possible. That seems to help a lot of people.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
There may have been something else at play, but 15 minutes of Skyrim in the morning hosed me up for hours today. Felt like I got off a week long boating trip.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You need to have kids or a roommate or wife to be next to you while you are in VR games, blowing a fan on you or splashing water on you or shooting Nerf darts at you

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I've been playing VR games using external speakers. Being unable to see or hear anything external really wigs me out

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Glad to hear it's not just me with the nausea. I've been playing the VR part of Rise of the Tomb Raider and I can only go about an hour before I feel like I have to vomit. Hopefully my body will get used to this...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's very much not you, some level of initial jitters is very common but VR adaptation is definitely real and will happen.

The Tomb Raider VR mansion was one of the first VR things I ever did, and the moment I turned on smooth turning and touched the stick my brain did a giant Lana Kane NOOOOOPE and I had to stop playing immediately. Nowadays smooth FPS turning is just unpleasant; I'd still rather not use it if possible but if I quickly turn it off there are no lasting effects.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Yeah, I turned off comfort controls as soon as it let me because the teleporting was just awkward to control. I'm starting to think I should turn them back on.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
It's also weird that it affects people in different ways. I can smooth turn all day long, but vertical forward motion messes me up quick. Think TrackMania and UltraWings pulling back/pushing forward on the stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I feel like by the time anything came along I wanted to spend a lot of time on, I must have already adapted with all the shorter games and demos.

All I know is, the last session of Astrobot I played where I finished it off with trophies and all was one 4 hour long session because I kept wanting to play and wasn't feeling sickly at all.