Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

evilmiera posted:

MJ loves Spidey ending like it did makes me almost as angry as Marvel Adventures Spidey ending just as it had wrapped up one of its finest storylines with Chat and Emma Frost.

I was somewhat mad that neither of those universes were represented in the Spiderverse, but given the fates of the obscure Spider-people that might have been for the best. Bring both universes back please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Please Eat A Vegetable
Jun 26, 2002
Lord of Primate Booty
Just caught this last night, and what's to say that hasn't already been said. This was an amazing movie, full of amazing moments. I cannot wait to see this one again. And again and again. And this is a movie that will provide new things to notice with each repeated viewing.

Also the father/son/uncle stories were really well done and touching.

There aren't many movies that I truly love, but this made the list easily.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Saw it earlier today after friends said it was good, knew basically nothing other than the TV trailers. That was super fun and really felt like a comic book come to life, and frankly, it was fun in a way that most recent superhero movies aren't.

Please give Lord and Miller more money and more licensed properties to work their magic on. gently caress it, give them Fantastic Four, maybe they can salvage that shitheap

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Perhaps a star wars movie too!

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

They'd never give anyone that much leeway on Star Wars. They'd probably get fired midway through production and replaced with some Boomer hack like Ron Howard.

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Just got back from watching this, the film absolutely knocked it out of the park in every way for me!

A poster mentioned early in the thread about the good dads in the movie, and that made me appreciate how many times male characters in this film say "I love you", which you wouldn't think it's a big deal but it is, especially between two male characters

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

If you're talking about the McKeever run of Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane and not the continuation, I actually liked it ending at that point. We all knew exactly how the story would end from there. It wasn't the end, not really - it was the end of the beginning.

More or less. The continuation never really took off and that's a shame.

But then I also wanted to read more Spider-Man Noir while a lot of people kinda hated that.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
Amazing movie. I appreciated the small joke about destroying Staten Island, for one.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Did anyone else think the animation was choppy in the first part of the movie? The fight scenes were always smooth, nut the parts where it's the first spidey and Miles by himself looked a bit cheaply done. It looked like less that 30 FPS.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

UltraRed posted:

Did anyone else think the animation was choppy in the first part of the movie? The fight scenes were always smooth, nut the parts where it's the first spidey and Miles by himself looked a bit cheaply done. It looked like less that 30 FPS.

It was choppy, and it was entirely deliberate. They animate most of the non-action scene on twos, meaning they hold on any given frame of animation for two full frames, to create the style. Normally it's something used in traditional animation to save on costs, but CGI doesn't work that same way. They literally had to tweak their animation tools to replicate the 2s effect because usually the software automatically generates inbetween frames.

I think it was a good choice. It adds to the comic book aesthetic, and it really fuckin' pops when they shift into 1s for the action scenes.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 29, 2018

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Dragon Prince on Netflix did a similar thing but they held on, like, the sixes. It was immediately noticable in any dialog scene, and laughably bad at times.

I actually don't mind it at all in Spider-Verse--in a weird way, it makes the CGI feel more "real", almost as if it's stop motion.

Until 2018 I still hadn't been sold on CGI over traditional animation. I appreciate what studios have done with it, but I find myself returning to films like Road to El Dorado or Lion King or Aladdin way more often than, say, King Fu Panda 2 or The Incredibles (even though there's some amazing animation in KFP2, and the design of the Incredibles is fantastic). But between The Dragon Prince (which translated the ATLA "anime" style perfectly, especially in action scenes) and Spider-Verse I'm actually really excited for the future of CGI TV shows and movies.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Skippy McPants posted:

It was choppy, and it was entirely deliberate. They animate most of the non-action scene on twos, meaning they hold on any given frame of animation for two full frames, to create the style. Normally it's something used in traditional animation to save on costs, but CGI doesn't work that same way. They literally had to tweak their animation tools to replicate the 2s effect because usually the software automatically generates inbetween frames.

I think it was a good choice. It adds to the comic book aesthetic, and it really fuckin' pops when they shift into 1s for the action scenes.

Yeah, I saw a making of where they go to the Ones on the "What's Up, Danger" sequence, but also ran the background at 60fps when he's jumping from car to car.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
One thing no one comments on is the metafictional aspect of the movie – namely, that the story is fictional in its own conception.

According to the movie’s framing device, it is a visualization of what happens inside a comic book. All the parallel worlds are just other series. When it cuts to the asides where the Spider-People explain their back stories (everyone naturally finds these parts obnoxious), they’re comic books in motion.

This explains why with infinite dimensions there’s nothing else out there but more Spider-Freaks: it's just a comic book crossover. Staying in another world is dangerous for the characters because they go in continuities where they don’t belong. The movie is, according to itself, a bunch of works in the Spider-Man franchise crossing over.

This is also largely why the movie is so insipid: it’s a story about itself, and the Spider-Mons only exist for the sake of the crossover. There’s no real reason for there to be anymore Spider-Hominids than the blonde one and Miles Morales. If you look at what the others contribute to the movie, it mostly boils down to:

- teaching Miles Morales how to shoot webs
- leading him to places
- helping in fights
- friendship?

You’ll notice that none of this requires the characters to be Spider-Bastards, let alone originate from other dimensions. If it’s absolutely necessary to have a third Spider-Person, then you don’t need to get one from another dimension, because Peter Parker has been cloned several times.

The point being that the whole interdimensional crossover completely distracts from what should be the core of the movie, Miles Morales becoming a superhero. Recall how the first Spider-Alt is introduced. He doesn’t appear for any logical reason or out of any necessity: he just show up out of nowhere, walks up to the protagonist, and takes over the movie.

(And that Miles Morales is just an understudy for Spider-Man is kind of lame, but that his own story then gets hijacked by a white schlub for most the movie is just insulting. It’s like how Flight should be about Denzel Washington’s character but the moment John Goodman shows up he starts getting out-talked and overshadowed by loud white people.)

The Spider-Supernumeraries don’t add anything necessary to the movie. The only reason for there to be more than two Spider-Men in this movie is for the sake of having more Spider-Men. The premise of the movie is that various interpretations of Spider-Man cross over.

That might sound like a stunningly obvious observation to make, but that’s really the point. Everyone knows this. It’s so obvious and simple that people don’t give a second thought to it. Consciously or unconsciously they know that the movie exists just for the sake of featuring Spider-Mans.

And that’s just not very interesting. It’s a movie about how there’s several continuities in the franchise, and nobody likes a movie that’s about itself.

Because everyone knows that the premise isn't very interesting, Into the Spider-Verse seems to be making only modest returns at the box office (as absurd as “modest” is in the context of Hollywood blockbusters is). I know it’s gauche to bring up box office to justify an argument but it’s true: a Spider-Team of Various Comic Book Backstories and Origins is not a sustainable gimmick.

Anyway, Spider-Man comics are bad.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

i like spiderman though

i liked all the spider people

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
A good movie. A. I look forward to more and liked the after credits.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Reading BoTL's rap sheet always reminds me why no one should respond to them in earnest.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Reading BoTL's rap sheet always reminds me why no one should respond to them in earnest.

I always think it's funny how people compare lamps to SMG, when the main difference is that Lamps always falls back on an imagined consensus to justify his hot takes, whereas SMG always had the dignity to present his ideas as nothing more than his own one man campaign.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I mean, he does, again, raise some good points you seem to be ignoring just to continue the "lol Botl" train

What narrative purpose behind the selection of the characters in the film exists beyond the arbitrarily of including them? If alt-Parker is meant to be aspirational, and Gwen is meant to be supportive, what roles do Noir, Ham, and Peni play other than "popular and funny"

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What narrative purpose behind the selection of the characters in the film exists beyond the arbitrarily of including them? If alt-Parker is meant to be aspirational, and Gwen is meant to be supportive, what roles do Noir, Ham, and Peni play other than "popular and funny"

Giving it half a moment’s thought, they very effectively illustrate the film’s main message, that “anyone can be Spider-Man”, even a prepubescent Japanese girl or a cartoon pig.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
also cuz it looked cool

edit: and also i want to point out that politically, from what I can glean, i agree with botl on politics, and truthfully, a lot of times on books and movies! my issue is moreso that they're a giant prick who enjoys being obtuse and difficult in every loving thread they post in!!! and mel! you literally follow botl from thread to thread! so weird!!!

Conrad_Birdie fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 29, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Phylodox posted:

Giving it half a moment’s thought, they very effectively illustrate the film’s main message, that “anyone can be Spider-Man”, even a prepubescent Japanese girl or a cartoon pig.

No no movies cannot be about this. Only capitalism

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
You need Noir for the nazi punching.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
That's kind of BotL's point though, that they are there for reasons that are not narrative as much as the film's desire to be effective as a product for consumption.

Conrad_Birdie posted:

and mel! you literally follow botl from thread to thread! so weird!!!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php

Phylodox posted:

ok, but why the japanese girl and pig? If it could be anything, why them?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I like consuming things that are good and which please me

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mel Mudkiper posted:

That's kind of BotL's point though, that they are there for reasons that are not narrative as much as the film's desire to be effective as a product for consumption.

A film and everything in it is a product to be consumed. Pointing this out serves no purpose.

quote:

Because they are fun, diverse takes on the character. Why not a Japanese girl and a pig? Had they been anything else, you’d be asking the same question.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BOTL’s point can suck my rear end.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Phylodox posted:

A film and everything in it is a product to be consumed.

I would just like to express my firm and committed disagreement with this post and its contents

Phylodox posted:

Why not a Japanese girl and a pig? Had they been anything else, you’d be asking the same question.

Well no, because I didnt say this about gwen and alt-peter because they had an obvious reason for being there.

Phylodox posted:

Nobody cares.

how many probes do you have to eat for contributing nothing to the discussion

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 29, 2018

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I would just like to express my firm and committed disagreement with this post and its contents

Nobody cares.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Peni, Noir, and John Mulaney all split the role of comic relief, and having all three of them there kind of does a disservice to what any one of them could have been if given the full role, and while I do enjoy all of them, if they'd trimmed it down to just Nic Cage, the one with the funniest C-plot, I wouldn't have complained.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Miserable Maid posted:

Just got back from watching this, the film absolutely knocked it out of the park in every way for me!

A poster mentioned early in the thread about the good dads in the movie, and that made me appreciate how many times male characters in this film say "I love you", which you wouldn't think it's a big deal but it is, especially between two male characters

Double especially between two black male characters. Both with Miles and his dad and his dad and his uncle, the latter especially since I liked that even though his uncle is explicitly a criminal he still loves Miles and is a good influence in a lot of ways (encouraging his skills with and interest in art, giving him advice on interacting with his peers that he isn't comfortable going to an authority figure for) when it would have been all to easy to moralistically write him off as a bad guy with no redeeming features that his dad was right for not letting him spend time with. Like a lot of people in CD I have a huge appreciation for the Wachoski's Speed Racer film and while this movie felt like a peer of it visually the scene where Miles' dad is having a one-sided conversation about how he loves him and he'll always have a place with them and he won't make the same mistake he made with his brother reminded me a lot of the scene of Pops confronting Speed and saying more or less the same thing about not wanting to repeat the same mistake he made with Rex.

Obviously the gender and minority stuff is more immediately visible wrt representation in the film but I loved that they didn't sleep on doing something with the men too. Even with default white male Peter Parker they managed to do some stuff with him dealing with his emotions and insecurities about aging and his marriage and the prospect of being a parent, the sincerity and acceptance extending to the how it's OK for men to have feelings and be vulnerable is just as strong as presenting women as strong and capable.

Sadly as is the norm with this decade of animation as much as they were willing to hint at same-sex relationships between female characters there wasn't a single wink at the existence of a gay male in the entire movie, but pobody's nerfect I suppose.

LinYutang posted:

Amazing movie. I appreciated the small joke about destroying Staten Island, for one.

"I think it's a Banksy!"

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

I Before E posted:

Peni, Noir, and John Mulaney all split the role of comic relief, and having all three of them there kind of does a disservice to what any one of them could have been if given the full role, and while I do enjoy all of them, if they'd trimmed it down to just Nic Cage, the one with the funniest C-plot, I wouldn't have complained.

Another “main” character would have threatened to steal focus away from the existing mains, though. Into the Spider-Verse is nicely lean and focused. The comic relief Spiders hint at the diversity that exists in the Spider-Verse, serve the film’s main theme, and provide levity. It’s actually amazing to me how effectively they were able to fit them in without the movie seeming crowded.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It serves as comedy relief and introduction to the Spiderverse by showing how far the concept goes and they play with it in the post credits. It does serve a purpose to show and establish the multiverse concept and that will over arch for future series.

Peni Parker for instance is key to the drive thing and infiltration.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Phylodox posted:

Another “main” character would have threatened to steal focus away from the existing mains, though. Into the Spider-Verse is nicely lean and focused. The comic relief Spiders hint at the diversity that exists in the Spider-Verse, serve the film’s main theme, and provide levity. It’s actually amazing to me how effectively they were able to fit them in without the movie seeming crowded.

Personally I'd rather have one well-built comic relief character than three half-assed ones

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It's about contrast, and making use of animation as a medium. There are, of course, countless incarnations and different takes on Spider-Man, but those two stretch the concept into two forms of animation that are as far from the CGI of Miles' universe as you can get: Japanese anime and 1940s/50s American animation. By integrating those two characters into the plot, it helps sell two core ideas: One, that the multiverse is gigantic and varied, and that there are universes that are highly different from Miles', and second that even in spite of those differences, there are still heroes throughout who embody the quote from Stan Lee at the end of the film—thus tying into the film's overall statement that anyone can be Spider-Man, because it's not about being a nerd from Queens who works as a photographer as his day job, or having a specific set of powers, or even having an explicit spider-theme, but instead choosing to act selflessly for the benefit of others.

Plus, the inclusion of those characters allowed the animators to do some really cool and neat things to help them fit in, thus heightening the film's visual spectacle, which is always a plus.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

I Before E posted:

Personally I'd rather have one well-built comic relief character than three half-assed ones

I really don’t think “half-assed” is a fair assessment. At all. There’s no failure on the storytellers’ part, here. They made a deliberate choice, one that better served the film. Taking away any of the lesser Spiders would have diminished the film, I think.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
All three of them are driven primarily by their visuals and the specifics of their animation style, if you think pulpy B&W spider-man is better than strech-and-squash looney tunes spider-man or flat walleyed japanimation mecha pilot spider-man that's entirely your preferences at work rather than any inherent strength of the character.

If anything Noir was the least interesting compared to the weird flat shading stuff they did with Penni or the lovingly hand-drawn classic animation smears they did for Spider-Ham's movements.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
I actually liked Noir's Take On Me style a lot more than the others also having Nic Cage be the VO helped too

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Like, of all three, Noir is the only one that gets something that could be described as an arc, and while I do agree that they all contribute some stylistic value to this spiderman tech demo, the screentime is spread thin between them to the detriment of their comedic potential.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Noir Spider-man did have moments of possibly being the spaciest of the lot. I feel they could have done something with him being the second oldest of the spider-folks and obviously toning down his act and probably his language while the kids are around. Though the movie's stuffed full as it is.

I do like that it's Spider-ham who specifically tells Miles that he's going to fail at points and people are gonna die, that tragedy and loss are some of the most inherent aspects of what being a spider-person means. Even the literal cartoon character isn't immune to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I Before E posted:

Like, of all three, Noir is the only one that gets something that could be described as an arc, and while I do agree that they all contribute some stylistic value to this spiderman tech demo, the screentime is spread thin between them to the detriment of their comedic potential.

I don't disagree, Penny especially is really thin on character, but I think it was a fair compromise for the sake of supporting the films base premise of having a bunch of Spider-people together in one place. I don't think that conceit works nearly as well if you only have the three mains with one tack-on comic relief character.