Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Welcome to the Kaguya Wants to Be Confessed To Anime Thread!

MAL SUMMARY

quote:

Considered a genius due to having the highest grades in the country, Miyuki Shirogane leads the prestigious Shuchiin Academy's student council as its president, working alongside the beautiful and wealthy vice president Kaguya Shinomiya. The two are often regarded as the perfect couple by students despite them not being in any sort of romantic relationship.

However, the truth is that after spending so much time together, the two have developed feelings for one another; unfortunately, neither is willing to confess, as doing so would be a sign of weakness. With their pride as elite students on the line, Miyuki and Kaguya embark on a quest to do whatever is necessary to get a confession out of the other. Through their daily antics, the battle of love begins!

It’s sort of like Death Note crossed with rom com shenanigans.

CHARACTERS

SHINOMIYA KAGUYA, aka Vice President, aka Ice Princess (VA: Koga Aoi)

Heir to the Shinomiya zaibatsu, one of the richest in Japan, Kaguya is a model student who scores the second-best grades in her class. She is cold and untrusting, a product of her merciless upbringing, but she's trying to change that.

She would never, ever date a mere commoner, but just might make an exception for Shirogane. Maybe if he got down on his hands and knees before asking.

SHIROGANE MIYUKI, aka President, aka the Monster Virgin (VA: Furukawa Makoto)

One of the few commoners to be admitted to Shuchiin Academy, Shirogane maintains the highest grades in class and some of the best test scores in the entire country. He is kind, extraordinarily hard working, and completely dependent on caffeine to get him through the day.

He could, possibly, consider dating an aristocrat like Kaguya. Maybe if she came to him with a blushing face and begged.

FUJIWARA CHIKA, aka Secretary, aka Subject F, aka the Love Detective (self-proclaimed) (VA: Kohara Konomi)

The Secretary of the Student Council and wild card to the more straight-laced geniuses above, Fujiwara is a musical prodigy and member of the Board Game Club. She's kind-hearted and honest, except when playing a game, in which case she's a cutthroat liar. One of the few people who has gotten close to Kaguya.

ISHIGAMI YUU, aka Treasurer (VA: Suzuki Ryouta)

Heir to a toy company, Ishigami is the slacker otaku of the student council and might, occasionally, suffer from a bit of low self-esteem. Terrified of Kaguya.

HAYASAKA AI, too many aliases to count (VA: Hanamori Yumiri)

Another student of Shuchiin and valet to Shinomiya. She is more like a big sister to Kaguya: kind, a bit smug, and constantly, constantly suffering. Enjoys hydraulic press videos.

PRODUCTION INFO

Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen
An A-1 Pictures Production
Directed by Omata Shinichi (of Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu fame)
Airing at 11:30 PM on Saturdays in Japan beginning on January 12th
Streaming service in the US TBD

PV 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9pPrHgQNRc

PV 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-Ww_oTfLcA

WHY SHOULD I WATCH THIS?

Well, you never know how a comedy adaptation is going to work (*cries for Jitsu Wa*) but the source material here is excellent. It’s my favorite ongoing manga. Akasaka Aka, the writer, is great at foreshadowing later plot developments while keeping the characters grounded with their own particular motivations. The gags are good, the cast is lovable, and the manga, at least, has a lot of heart.

THREAD RULES

1. Don’t be a jerk
2. Put manga spoilers behind spoiler bars, or just take it to the manga thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Hayasaki Ai is the one I sympathise with the most.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I can't wait for the premiere, I love this manga so much.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

This is one of the few romcoms out there that is actually funny, charming and good, if youre on the fence because its from a stale genre jump right in, this ones wonderful.

Of course, no telling how the adaptation will be.... Jitsu Wa is one of the few other romcoms I would say is excellent... :(

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I know very little of the manga besides the premise, so I’m very excited for the show. And if it turns out to be garbo, I can just use that as an excuse to read the manga!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Chika has pink hair???

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Namtab posted:

Chika has pink hair???

It will soon go grey from stress.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Namtab posted:

Chika has pink hair???

In the early covers she had pure silver hair, but later color drawings have given her a pinkish hue. As seen in this spoiler free crop of the volume 10 cover art

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

El Burbo posted:

In the early covers she had pure silver hair, but later color drawings have given her a pinkish hue. As seen in this spoiler free crop of the volume 10 cover art

I have been spoiled and you should be executed in accordance with the great anime commandments.

In all seriousness though I'm intrigued by the premise and the high expectations some of you have for this. I'm always down for some fun, creative comedy.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Like many people in this thread I am highly looking forward to this. But also like many other people, I don't want to say "it'll be great!" because then when other people watch it and ask "what is this trash?!" I'll have to mutter something about the manga being better. And I don't want that.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

As the OP mentioned, Jitsu wa happened and I've found myself struggling with the same thing when recommending this show. I love the manga a lot, and I really hope the adaptation does it justice.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

E: wrong thread

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Worth mentioning that the director for this one is Mamoru Hatakeyama, who did Sankarea, which I hear was a solid, well-directed horror adaptation (which should be useful for Kaguya's line of comedy), and the superb Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Dec 29, 2018

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Worth mentioning that the director for this one is Mamoru Hatakeyama, who did Sankarea, which I hear was a solid, well-directed horror adaptation (which should be useful for Kaguya's line of comedy), and the superb Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū.

Sold.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Yea, unless something goes really wrong this is a safe bet. I'm pumped.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

an actual dog posted:

Yea, unless something goes really wrong this is a safe bet. I'm pumped.

I was hype for Grand Blue last season and that ended up being a wet fart, imo. Of course Hinamatsuri was excellent. I think im just an extreme pessimist when it comes to comedy adaptations

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/anime_kaguya/status/1080992410522419200?s=21

This is your OP singer

https://youtu.be/xFKeMiKSzLU

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

I am very much okay with this man and his jams.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Episode 1 preview, featuring the iconic line

https://twitter.com/pkjd818/status/1081566922653614080

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

El Burbo posted:

Episode 1 preview, featuring the iconic line

https://twitter.com/pkjd818/status/1081566922653614080

They decided to go extremely SHAFT. This was wise.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Sounds like Kaguya's VA does a great job of shifting from smug to squeaky. Great performance.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Darth Walrus posted:

They decided to go extremely SHAFT. This was wise.

Oh yes, I loved seeing it basically become SZS (or ef for that matter), but...

El Burbo posted:

Sounds like Kaguya's VA does a great job of shifting from smug to squeaky. Great performance.

this stood out to me more because the tonal shift from lower-pitched smug "I'm in control" Kaguya to higher-pitched, more emotional "Look, I'm not doing this for you, okay?!" Kaguya on top of that "How cute." is making all my worries about this anime not being good fade away.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Checked out the manga here and there, but if someone from Rakugo is involved I'll definitely check it out, I really liked that show.

Alfredo Jones
Jun 5, 2011

Pretty please with sugar on top?
Any news yet on where this will be streamed, if at all? I've been hearing good things about this series and wanted to watch the anime first before checking out the manga.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
It looks like Crunchyroll will be streaming it in the following regions: North America, Central America, South America, Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, and Ireland, while Funimation is handling the dub. Wakanim has the rights for other parts of Europe: French-speaking Europe, German-speaking Europe, Russia, and the Nordic countries. (source)

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Alfredo Jones posted:

Any news yet on where this will be streamed, if at all? I've been hearing good things about this series and wanted to watch the anime first before checking out the manga.

Senpai.moe says Crunchyroll. Excellent.

edit, alas, beaten

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Crunchyroll's the only one I'm subbed to at the moment so this is good news. Just one more day to go, huh?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Anime in a few hours

Perhaps you can pass the time by watching the OP repeatedly

https://streamable.com/423z4

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013

El Burbo posted:

Anime in a few hours

Perhaps you can pass the time by watching the OP repeatedly

https://streamable.com/423z4

I don't know what I was expecting, but I love this.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Almost perfect adaption, and not because it's panel for panel, but because it throws a lot of it's own flair into the mix as well

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
It's on crunchyroll, right? I'm looking on the site, but the episode doesn't seem to be up yet.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I watched the initial broadcast. They adapted chapters 1, 12, and 5

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

El Burbo posted:

I watched the initial broadcast. They adapted chapters 1, 12, and 5

Next week is 11,7,6

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
I can't actually see any new episodes of anything scheduled after a couple of hours ago, so hopefully Crunchyroll hasn't completely screwed something up on the backend.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

It's finally out and it's everything I wanted from an adaptation and more.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

this is a good show

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Okay, I do gotta complain, but not about the show, but about Cruncy's subs

Same mistake that the official manga TL made. She never calls him by his name. It's kind of a thing that she never calls him by his name.

Also no "how cute"s but that's whatever

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How Cute Adorable :suicide:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Watching the Wakanim subs. "How very cute!" is not an ideal translation of the the infamous line, but the Anime itself is very very good, with the animation feeling like SHAFT and the OP being pretty much perfect. (Also, the sound is :discourse:)

EDIT: Oh, and they generally go with President for the Kaichous.

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'm 9 minutes in and snickering like a madman.

I think I'm in.

E: That whole thing was amazing. I love the enthusiastic narrator, Chika obliviously throwing grenades, and the way they whiplash from poo poo-eating grins to adorable embarrassment and back with each volley thrown.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 12, 2019