Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Ah, I see she was Republican

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

:hmmyes:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

# I killed a goose today / oh boy
# kicked out it's guts and beak and poop and skin

I got somethin’ to say
I killed a honker today

Geese actually are some tough loving birds. Try going hunting, it’s not uncommon to clip them with a few pellets and they only miss maybe one wing flap before they keep going. And thanks to how fast they move and the three round limit on waterfowl it can be hard to land a follow-up shot.

When I went, my dad was the only one to drop one, and that involved nailing it straight in the chest with the pellets that were still being held together by the wad at that range. Two goddamn inches of bird chest completely gone.

Then he didn’t use a drip pan in the smoker and burned it to a crisp :rip:

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 23, 2018

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Malachite_Dragon posted:

More like Repelican

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
My goose story that isn't actually mine:

My in-laws have an 8mm movie of a day many years ago at the park where they are all feeding ducks and geese. My father-in-law is filming and you can see my eight-year old brother-in-law get bit by a goose. It's silent film but you can see him jerk and then start crying and then gets placated by my mother-in-law. A few moments later, my nine-year old future wife gets bit and then my mother-in-law placates her.

But then my mother-in-law gets bit a few moments later and this kind, gentle woman winds up and kicks this piece of poo poo goose. And then as the goose closes in for more food, my MIL kicks it again and then takes some threatening steps after it at which point the goose gets the idea and waddles off like only cocksucker geese do.

gently caress geese. They wreck soccer fields with their lovely poo poo and are annoying as gently caress.

I hear that if you kill one and leave the corpse where it lies the rest of the flock will take off and never return. c/d?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
If this is true I hope Trump starts another branch of the military called Goose Force that kills and abandons one goose on every square meter of land in the USA.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

No, the rest of the flock will then swarm around and try to eat it, then you can get them all at once.

Or was that wasps

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
He'd probably be down to find out if you can nuke a flock of geese.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Javid posted:

He'd probably be down to find out if you can nuke a flock of geese.

I'll accept this but only if he yells "flock you!" while doing so.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Aunt Beth posted:

If this is true I hope Trump starts another branch of the military called Goose Force that kills and abandons one goose on every square meter of land in the USA.

I'd vote for that. When I worked retail we had a pair setup nest directly in front of the front entrance. Corperate was too cheap to get rid of them until after they attacked at least ten or fifteen people.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Geese are assholes. I took one out with a 9 iron when it charged after me a few times. If you haven't been pecked/charged/swarmed you have no clue how tenacious those dicks are.

Canada is so nice because they take all their hate/rage, infuse it into their Geese using some sort of Sand Fracking/science method and send them south to torment the US/Mexico

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
I've never seen Canadians get so angry as when my roommate mentioned taking pictures of them. We were there during the spring, and they had their babies with them, which were super-adorable (I recognize they're a pest, but that doesn't make the baby geese any less adorable). We were careful not to get close, but apparently that, is, like, triggering for Canucks.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Langolas posted:

Canada is so nice because they take all their hate/rage, infuse it into their Geese using some sort of Sand Fracking/science method and send them south to torment the US/Mexico
I have this theory that Canadian Geese are the karmic counterweight to the niceness of Canadian people.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Collateral Damage posted:

I have this theory that Canadian Geese are the karmic counterweight to the niceness of Canadian people.

In support of this, I present, this.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I just had a desktop tech basically drop a printer down on a table and send me a ticket to not only mac authenticate it on the network, but to " remotely set the IP and sleep settings." No, you lazy loving useless pile of gently caress. Do you want to know why you are a 50 year old desktop tech? This is why you are a 50 year old desktop tech.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Farking Bastage posted:

I just had a desktop tech basically drop a printer down on a table and send me a ticket to not only mac authenticate it on the network, but to " remotely set the IP and sleep settings." No, you lazy loving useless pile of gently caress. Do you want to know why you are a 50 year old desktop tech? This is why you are a 50 year old desktop tech.

This kind of thing is mad to me. Where I am currently working there is a lady on 1st line who has been there for almost 16 years now. Absolutely no interest in pushing to get out of it. Just happy sitting there resetting passwords for close to 2 decades. I just don't understand the mentaility.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dravs posted:

This kind of thing is mad to me. Where I am currently working there is a lady on 1st line who has been there for almost 16 years now. Absolutely no interest in pushing to get out of it. Just happy sitting there resetting passwords for close to 2 decades. I just don't understand the mentality.

Stable paycheck, relatively low-stress job without much responsibility, and a life that's probably focused outside of work.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Dravs posted:

Absolutely no interest in pushing to get out of it. Just happy sitting there resetting passwords for close to 2 decades. I just don't understand the mentaility.

that lady probably goes home and doesn't think about work until the next time she goes in. tbh i identify with people like her more than i identify with the people that get off work and spend their time off studying for certs

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Thom and the Heads posted:

that lady probably goes home and doesn't think about work until the next time she goes in. tbh i identify with people like her more than i identify with the people that get off work and spend their time off studying for certs

Same, I read up on stuff when it's funny/interesting but I am more likely to knit a sweater tbh.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

I wish I could quit thinking about work when I leave :( gently caress.
Gotta get out of this place.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Stable paycheck, relatively low-stress job without much responsibility, and a life that's probably focused outside of work.

Ding ding ding!
I'll expose myself with having the janitor job for 11 years now which was not the plan. About 6 in I was at the point of being done and wanting more money etc when I had the chance to move across the US. Instead of losing my job they let me work from home full time and I have been for 5 years now. Taking commuting out of life opens up a lot of time energy and money, plus never having kids means I just don't need much.

It rubs my ego the wrong way sometimes but inevitably I get a call from some poor fucker on hour 11 in the office who's going out of their mind and that resets it pretty hard. Totally don't give work a single gently caress once my shift is over either, to do otherwise I feel is a sickness. I get a lot of day to day chores done between calls on top of having a better diet with my kitchen 3m away. At this point returning to an office on the regular would massively tank my happiness, but I know this is a uncommon trait as a lot of people can't handle being alone as much as I am.

Plus I get paid to play video games since I work the evening shift so my call volume is non existent for 2/3 of my shift. AND no loving uncomfortable office clothes with all the wasteful laundry that comes with it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

LethalGeek posted:

Ding ding ding!
I'll expose myself with having the janitor job for 11 years now which was not the plan. About 6 in I was at the point of being done and wanting more money etc when I had the chance to move across the US. Instead of losing my job they let me work from home full time and I have been for 5 years now. Taking commuting out of life opens up a lot of time energy and money, plus never having kids means I just don't need much.

It rubs my ego the wrong way sometimes but inevitably I get a call from some poor fucker on hour 11 in the office who's going out of their mind and that resets it pretty hard. Totally don't give work a single gently caress once my shift is over either, to do otherwise I feel is a sickness. I get a lot of day to day chores done between calls on top of having a better diet with my kitchen 3m away. At this point returning to an office on the regular would massively tank my happiness, but I know this is a uncommon trait as a lot of people can't handle being alone as much as I am.

Plus I get paid to play video games since I work the evening shift so my call volume is non existent for 2/3 of my shift. AND no loving uncomfortable office clothes with all the wasteful laundry that comes with it.
Livin' the dream. I'd love to telecommute like that. Especially if it's offset by 3 hours from most of the office.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
I worked fully remote for the previous 8 years before changing to a job that requires me be in the office everyday (downtown Phoenix yay!) and holy poo poo does it make a huge difference in happiness and how you feel at the end of the day - how much time you sit in traffic, money for gas, and how much earlier you have to wake up to commute, etc.

I did the math once and found I’d be relatively comfortable giving up $5 an hour to work from home everyday.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

I don't think about work from the moment I leave until I get back, unless there is an outage or a 15-30 min planned change (that I get to pick the time after the kids are in bed). Once I leave work the hardest part of my day begins, with is being a good parent and husband and handyman. (new house, lots of projects to do)

Granted, i'm a glorified sysadmin, but I can't complain about my compensation and benefits at this company. They take care of their employees and understand there is life outside of work. If I have a good need I can WFH/come in late and it doesn't hit my 5 weeks of PTO. They invest good money in IT and people. We just doubled the size of the company with an acquisition and are doing integration/cut over planning to bring all their employees on board our systems.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

LethalGeek posted:

:hfive:

duffmensch posted:

I did the math once and found I’d be relatively comfortable giving up $5 an hour to work from home everyday.

$5/hour? It costs me £100 (over £15/hour wage equivalent) in actual real money just to commute. I get paid £95/hour to work from home, so that would have to increase more than 50% for it to be worth giving up 4 hours and £100 to the commute, and that's not even including unhappiness pay.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 28, 2018

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

:hfive:

$5/hour? It costs me £100 (over £15/hour wage equivalent) in actual real money just to commute. I get paid £95/hour to work from home, so that would have to increase more than 50% for it to be worth giving up 4 hours and £100 to the commute, and that's not even including unhappiness pay.

What on earth is your commute to be costing 100 quid a day?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

fluppet posted:

What on earth is your commute to be costing 100 quid a day?

High speed train is £70 return, plus ~£5 tube, ~£8 train station parking, ~£2 fuel & maintenance, and an ~£8 central-London lunch. So that's, what, 90+?

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 28, 2018

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Jaded Burnout posted:

High speed train is £70 return, plus ~£5 tube, ~£8 train station parking, ~£2 fuel & maintenance, and an ~£8 central-London lunch. So that's, what, 90+?

They don't have a commuter's pass?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

PBS posted:

They don't have a commuter's pass?

They do, I think I graphed it out at one point. I think if I'm willing to buy many months and work 5 days per week then it maybe halves the train cost (but not any of the other costs).

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

They do, I think I graphed it out at one point. I think if I'm willing to buy many months and work 5 days per week then it maybe halves the train cost (but not any of the other costs).

Take lunch with you, is a start.

edit; and I'm also assuming you might not have went for a London role living where you are now if it involved being office based.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

mehall posted:

Take lunch with you, is a start.

So I give up more time instead.

mehall posted:

edit; and I'm also assuming you might not have went for a London role living where you are now if it involved being office based.

I actually moved out to where I am while working full time in London, because house prices.

The point isn't so much that I could or couldn't have a lower cost commute, it's that while I'm on the high end of the bell curve for this, $5/hour feels like they're undervaluing the cost of their commute in time, happiness, and actual cash. Even commuting with season tickets etc used to cost me £800-900/month.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

I actually moved out to where I am while working full time in London, because house prices.

The point isn't so much that I could or couldn't have a lower cost commute, it's that while I'm on the high end of the bell curve for this, $5/hour feels like they're undervaluing the cost of their commute in time, happiness, and actual cash. Even commuting with season tickets etc used to cost me £800-900/month.

In fairness, London is especially bad.

My commuting at present is £60 a month to get into Glasgow.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

Your commute sounds way more intensive than mine in time and logistics. I spend $40 a week on gas and have an hour commute where I jam to Pandora or listen to podcasts in the car.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

duffmensch posted:

Your commute sounds way more intensive than mine in time and logistics. I spend $40 a week on gas and have an hour commute where I jam to Pandora or listen to podcasts in the car.

Yeah perhaps I'm further up the bell curve than I thought.

Commuting into a city in the UK tends to suck, and the more major a city the worse (and more expensive) it is. Takes me 2 dang hours to travel 50 miles, and it's more like 2h30 by car on a quiet weekend, I'd hate to try it at rush hour.

The train companies seem to price their monthly season tickets with this formula
code:
median_rent_at_destination - median_rent_at_start

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
20-minute walk to work. Suck it, plebs.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

If I had a 4-5 hour commute everyday I’d have to be remote at least several days a week or be able to rent something nearby and make the long trip on the weekends.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

I really hope I get this WFH job I’m interviewing for on the second so I can start saying ten second walk to work.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Or you could bike like I do. Bit more efficient

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thanatosian posted:

10 second walk into home office after breakfast, shower and taking care of pets.

Work in sweats and T-shirts.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I really hope I get this WFH job I’m interviewing for on the second so I can start saying ten second walk to work.

It's very nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

iospace posted:

Or you could bike like I do. Bit more efficient

It’s not worth the hassle to maneuver the bike through the bedroom, down the hall, and into my office.