Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Fans posted:

The zipline gun in this game is a goddamn revelation in game design. I can't go back to other classes, they don't have a dumb gun that makes ropeways.

Have you heard the good news, you can live forever achieve all mission objectives through the wonder of the driller drill. Practically any problem can be solved by using the drill and the time where there's a fossil on the super tall 100m sandblasted corridor ceiling, a pubbie scout isn't going to grab that. It's not worth the time of a driller :colbert: and the game spawns more pickups than the secondary requires.

I've lost count of the number of times a gunner has used ziplines to juke melee bugs only to get hit by a webspinner or mactera spawn and die from cratering. Have a route you can walk or jump up and always have a plan to kill every bug you meet as if you're the only dwarf alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
hello i have a revolutionary review for this game:

it is good

ok that's my story thanks for listening

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

This is a great game to play after doing edibles.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Elderbean posted:

This is a great game to play after doing edibles.

110% correct.

It's just a fun game all around. It's still incomplete, but just bumming around caves killing bugs with your buddies is great.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
This game is just so chill even when things are crazy. It's weird. I can be too tired or stressed to play anything else in my collection but I'm always down to play DRG.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
It's fun giving no fucks about terrain on driller and making myself a direct line where I wanna go. Though the lackluster ranged options are kind of a drag sometimes.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

The plasma pistol is like the engineer's grenade launcher, except you can fire it up to 30 times. One shots mactera spawn, two shots bombers and three shots praetorians from the front, two if you flank/freeze it.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
Holy shiiiiit.

Driller is so much better with some levels on it for upgrades/alternate weapons. ALL HAIL FREEZIE POP GUN.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i'm glad rest of ratte crew has figured out rock and bone to the stone is the good game. we often play on goonintide if you want more company, hit up #other games. we play drill for ol' kruber much more than rattes on that discord by several orders of magnitude lol.

there's also the co-op goon discord but i always forget to check it but i'm also on that.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Dec 29, 2018

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Also maybe a jinx but the pubbies for this game so far have all ben sweethearts.

I also like the pre fight ritual of throwing your empties at the bartender

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Just wanted to jump in and say this game is likely the best coop game out in a long time. Got 71 hours into the game currently and i literally only paid once for a gently caress load of free content and all that game play compared to shifty devs who charge you out the rear end for sub par content.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Xaris posted:

there's also the co-op goon discord but i always forget to check it but i'm also on that.

:cry: I made all these channels and lfg commands for youuu

I even made a cute rat/cat image containment area

Come join the other DRGoons

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I picked up the game and have played about an hour. I'm worried about crossing the refund threshold and finding I'm not enjoying it. Can folks answer these questions for me, since I really would like to have a fun co-op game?

Are encounters balanced to 4 people all the time? I've dropped in with one teammate and we've got rocked and I'm not sure if it just means you always want a group of 4 or if we're just bad and that will pass or what.

What kind of depth is waiting for me? Like are there multiple interesting/viable builds that play in different ways, or does it end up like Vermintide 2 where you just pick the obviously best stuff and avoid trap options and that's it? Does gear get interesting and nuanced?

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Waves scale on players. Solo is a cakewalk even on hazard 4 but a four person hazard three will give you trouble if you're the sole player the wave is crashing down on. People need to pull their weight or you need ample ground to juke and kite the bugs, it's not L4D wherein you magdump 20 zombies effortlessly. Moving back or forward to favourable ground is necessary if people feel overwhelmed, it's much better to fight in a mostly flat area than it is in a pit with five floors for people to get separated.

I feel explosives are balanced around using a combo of 2-3 of them per wave and finding enough nitra for a resupply after/during a second wave. If you're economical, you might only need one resupply per mission or none at all if you're a driller or autocannon gunner.

All of the guns except the flamethrower are viable pretty much however you spec them as you outscale the bugs quickly if not through weapon upgrades, through personal skill. It's still in early access and the devs are working on modular upgrades to armour, gadgets somewhere down the line and maybe new support gadgets in the future.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I picked up the game and have played about an hour. I'm worried about crossing the refund threshold and finding I'm not enjoying it. Can folks answer these questions for me, since I really would like to have a fun co-op game?

Are encounters balanced to 4 people all the time? I've dropped in with one teammate and we've got rocked and I'm not sure if it just means you always want a group of 4 or if we're just bad and that will pass or what.

What kind of depth is waiting for me? Like are there multiple interesting/viable builds that play in different ways, or does it end up like Vermintide 2 where you just pick the obviously best stuff and avoid trap options and that's it? Does gear get interesting and nuanced?
Honestly it's gunna be about the players, it's a kind of boring game solo and more dwarfs the merrier. There are fair amount of builds already and more are coming so there's no real "best" per se and a lot of the mods do radically change up a weapon (Cryo's freeze shatter) but Delacroix already mentioned responded to pretty much all your stuff like difficulty scales with # of players and various things. 3 players is pretty drat easy even on Haz 4.

But if you don't enjoy getting drunk and/or stoned as hell and just zoning out mining goldand shooting bugs and shooting the poo poo with people, it's probably not going to be radically more fun, like it kinda just has to click within that mindset that it's not a tryhard vermintide 2 game and just chilling, it's not a mainstay game to play over and over, but a fun co-op game to play in between other things. Pubbies tend to be pretty good and pretty much anyone who plays this is a giant stoner and alcoholic. like I joined a random pub and we all ended up migrating from in-game voice to the official DRG discord and alternated taking beer run and smoke breaks and just chatting up poo poo while exploding bugs and having a good time playing until 5am in the morning. I almost rarely have as fun pub experiences in games and meeting chill people as I have with this.

Given that it's still early access, despite being amazing, and you aren't quite sold, I'd just suggest refunding it and picking it back up in another 6 months when there'll be even more content and refinements.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Main draw of DRG to me is the procedurally generated maps. Games like L4D or Payday end up with you learning the map spawns so you know exactly what to do at every step and you can tailor your equipment/build accordingly, but DRG sometimes gets some crazy map features that you aren't prepared for at all. You'll have to adapt on the fly according to what the team brought.

Two player co-op is probably the hardest way to play I think, since Bosco is invincible with infinite ammo and a second player has to be pretty seasoned to make up that difference. I find the game much more enjoyable at four players, and you're much less likely to end up with a fast wipe to cave leeches.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Fans posted:

Also maybe a jinx but the pubbies for this game so far have all ben sweethearts.

I also like the pre fight ritual of throwing your empties at the bartender

I've had one game where some guy was getting mad at my wife during an egg hunt because she had the audacity to call the mule over as he was trying to dump an egg in. Without mentioning what he was doing and we were all spread out. But that was just one game, so 99% of the time random people have been fine.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I love the magma biome maps because of the earthquakes--poo poo can get so real so fast when your dumped into a lava filled chasm. Part of the draw and problem of the game is people tend to be really loving wasted when they play it, which is awesome most of the time but when half your team is baked out of their minds and you walk into a cave leech nest its not fun. Just remember that most of the enjoyable players will tend to gravitate to higher difficulties so usually look for haz3 games to join because anything lower tends to fill with people who aren't to keen on team work.

I remember having to kick 2 scouts because we kept kindly asking them to grapple to engineer ledges to get a huge gold vein and they refused to multiple times. This is why its good to host because having the power to kick people will make it far less frustrating some times.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Sonel posted:

I've had one game where some guy was getting mad at my wife during an egg hunt because she had the audacity to call the mule over as he was trying to dump an egg in. Without mentioning what he was doing and we were all spread out. But that was just one game, so 99% of the time random people have been fine.

Kind of a dumb thing to get mad about since you can just call it back immediately.

It's like people who get mad in Dota about 'stealing the courier' when you're in the same lane.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The depth is less in the combat and more in the traversal, with the ability to cut through rock, throw up ziplines and make platforms a lot of the best levels are when you have to puzzle out how to get your four dwarves across a weird winding chasm while collecting all the materials you need on the way. Oh and rear end in a top hat bugs might turn up to spit goo at you while you do it.

The 4 classes all have fairly different roles and weapons to match. The Scout and the Engineer are probably the two that need to be there for a "Meta" if you wanted to bother doing one, but the Gunner has a tool that makes getting across chasms or drops real fast and easy, while the driller can do some space math craziness to make paths for the team by digging through rock that can let you take shortcut routes that would have been incredibly slow to dig out otherwise. Heck sometimes on the escape rather than try backtrack we'll just defend the driller while he goes through the wall in a straight line there. Though at higher difficulties this does run the risk of getting stuck in a tunnel slowly filling up with angry armoured bugs so it's not the best strat.

It's just really good.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Double-gunner is a godsend on huge cavern maps. Ziplines everywhere.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So I see the game's currently $18 through Steam, and I got a $20 gift card for christmas. Is the game really worth it? Because I'm a cheap bastard who's always worried about getting burned by bad, expensive games.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

if you saw 2 minutes of gameplay footage and think it looks like the kind of game you'd enjoy, it is probably worth buying

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I find the exploration and the way the dwarves can combine their abilities most engaging.

Combat is fun but any challenge is in attrition. Once you get your build going most pods of bugs can be clowned on.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
How is the community? Is it easy to get started or are you a piece of poo poo pubby for weeks,?

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

EdwardSwifferhands posted:

How is the community? Is it easy to get started or are you a piece of poo poo pubby for weeks,?

The only real thing that will get people mad at you is if you just push the button to call the drop pod as soon as you can. Their are times when you still have a secondary objective to complete or one more room for minerals to look at. So just ask if people are ready when you feel it may be a stopping point, or someone will go and push the button themselves.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

I'm only 20 games deep but the closest thing i ran into a jackass was a guy using a driller/engineer combo to dig a shaft of death to the bedrock and then digging into the bedrock. (Platform gun replaces everything, even bedrock)

They got bored after having to chain resurrect at the bottom of the shaft and bugs dropping in at random and we dug ourselves out and went on our merry way. It was an odd stoner driven 10 minute derail, but that's about it.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

EdwardSwifferhands posted:

Just avoid hazard 4 until you're mostly upgraded with your guy.
Try to keep in mind your class role too. Don't forget to shoot flares up in big rooms as scout. Platform veins as engineer, for the scout. Gunner takes care of when the team needs to move through a big empty space, typically up or down. And driller tries to fill any gaps; drill stairs or brute force your way to inconvenient veins

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

A good use for Driller is to just drill a straight line to the escape pod, usually this is faster than following the mule and can avoid a lot of bugs. I don't think the larger ones can even fit in a driller sized hole. Depending on the cave layout you might unintentionally drill out at the top of a very large drop, but as long as you pay a little bit of attention you can get around these things easily.

The community is good imo. Nothing like buying a few drinks for your new friends pre-mission.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

TheMostFrench posted:

A good use for Driller is to just drill a straight line to the escape pod, usually this is faster than following the mule and can avoid a lot of bugs. I don't think the larger ones can even fit in a driller sized hole. Depending on the cave layout you might unintentionally drill out at the top of a very large drop, but as long as you pay a little bit of attention you can get around these things easily.

The community is good imo. Nothing like buying a few drinks for your new friends pre-mission.

Preatorians can fit in driller holes, always a fun surprise when they emerge from the swarm your gunning down.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

The complexity 3 maps can be loving absurd, we had one in the dense biome with prolly 7+ giant rooms with 5+ levels of depth in them so if you weren't a scout it was hell. The driller is the best support class i feel because you can create short cuts and paths literally anywhere but its really hard to do properly since you need your teammates to pay attention and look for these. A good way to mark paths in maps with high verticality is to have a scout shoot a flare at the entrance to each one since they last forever and will still have a faint glow to them.

Complex 3 maps in the crystal biome is just down right beautiful, usually has 1 giant central chamber and if you're lucky you'll have the lightening crystals spiraling around the entire thing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dense biozone in general tends to make hell rooms for non-scouts

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Mining to the pod can be very easily slower than running through the tunnels

isndl
May 2, 2012
Drop pod seems to usually show up over 100m away and while that's doable it's a pain in the rear end unless you have good Drillers swapping off for cooldown. I usually don't bother going for a direct drill unless it's less than 60m or I can't find the exit tunnel I'm supposed to be using.

If you're really good with the terrain scanner you can do cavern shortcuts but you either have to be a wizard at eyeballing your angles or you have someone giving you corrections.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

For mining expeditions, the pod will be at the starting room unless you call it around the middle of the map, in which case there's a chance it'll be in the last chamber. Egg hunt and point extraction is closer and often times in line of sight.

95% of the time I will beat a scout to the pod by drilling, there's a rhythm to continually drill without overheating and in glacial, sand and dense biozone, you can mix in the pickaxe.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Where the drop pod lands is more dependent on map length I think, because a Mission Length 3 usually has it around the midpoint in my experience. But the overall intention seems to target the pod at around 100-150m away pretty consistently.

Actually, now I wonder if it's also dependent on the Hazard Level as well. Maybe higher difficulties have longer escape runs by design.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Yeah we did a complex 3 digging map last night for my scouts promotion and the drop pod was 170m away. We had a good fast team but it still took us a lot longer than usual to get to it.

My new peeve is gunners who don't instantly cover the map with zip lines during extraction missions. I played 2 extractions as gunner and would put up multiple zip lines so no matter where you were you'd have access to a zip line back to the pod. I then went engineer and we had 2 gunners without a single zip line even though i reminded them multiple times.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

There's some latitude on where the pod lands, possibly through different trigger criteria. I've seen it land in an unopened room in search and extract before it was removed. Last week it was ~230 metres away from the team in a match and I had to dig a second tunnel with about twenty seconds to spare because the pubs didn't take the first one.

What I would be interested in figuring out is how the exfil waves work. Incoming or active waves can be cancelled by calling the pod but the waves that replace them seem to trigger at certain parts of the map, always in front of or on top of players. I wonder if it rolls to spawn a wave on a single person, such as one waiting at the pod and if it spawns where the majority of players are. It's definitely not mutually exclusive.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 31, 2018

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Arghy posted:

Yeah we did a complex 3 digging map last night for my scouts promotion and the drop pod was 170m away. We had a good fast team but it still took us a lot longer than usual to get to it.

My new peeve is gunners who don't instantly cover the map with zip lines during extraction missions. I played 2 extractions as gunner and would put up multiple zip lines so no matter where you were you'd have access to a zip line back to the pod. I then went engineer and we had 2 gunners without a single zip line even though i reminded them multiple times.

Yeah Ziplines on Point Extraction are good because some maps have the ship on a giant loving plateau that make it a pain to get aquarqs up there and Zipline Perk makes it really fast to bring em over easily. My peeve is just scouts who dont blanket rooms with flare guns.

I do hope they do a big Perk pass in the next update or two. Like I'd like to take "walk faster carrying heavy objects" one but for like 15% it's just a joke, if it topped out at like 75% then yeah that'd fairly competitive. The Sprint one is also terrible. I've stopped taking the Reduced Fall Damage perk just because it's % is so trivial that either I fall far enough that i'll die anyways or proc Iron Will and grab a red sugar, or be relatively close to people that getting revived after moving with Iron Will is fine. Except on Scout because it works nicely with the Suit upgrades and just suiciding those high up Fossils and still living.

I've mostly settled on Faster Revive, Faster Resupply, Iron Will, Throw Flares Farther* (replace with Fall Damage for scout), and Deep Pockets as The Best Perks. Deep Pockets is just a huge time saver being able to completely mine a vein without having to go back.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
as a gunner i consider it my holy duty to zipline any crevasse ever