Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Inspector Hound posted:

Also (ch...5? spoiler) was there anything i should have gone looking for in Guarma? There were two points when i had free roam but i just kind of plowed through. There were unique animals and poo poo there, and im sure i didn't see the whole place, do i get to go back?

You don't go back, but nothing there counts toward 100% completion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Inspector Hound posted:

It just seems like a cheap way to keep you from swimming across some barrier or another, but all its done is murder me while im trying to swim from one dock to another to run from the police. Two missions so far have ended with Arthur having to swim a big rear end distance in a cutscene, then I'm right back to struggling to barely swim out of the deep part of a pond in warm weather

Also (ch...5? spoiler) was there anything i should have gone looking for in Guarma? There were two points when i had free roam but i just kind of plowed through. There were unique animals and poo poo there, and im sure i didn't see the whole place, do i get to go back?

There are a handful of unique birds and snakes but none of it counts towards 100% or the hunting related achievements/trophies.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If I sell a legendary carcass to the trapper do I still keep the item I need to get a trinket or should I skin it first?

Edit: The answer is yes, I got money and the antler back when I sold it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 29, 2018

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

My best attempt at Nat "Deadwood Dick" Love with whats available. The wool shirt is a nearly perfect match but I cant have neckwear with it unfortunately.

He was historically alive at the time RDR2 takes place, though he was retired from the cowboy life by that time iirc

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I want that cloud horse

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Me too

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Why can't I get my horse a bandana or her own little hat :mad:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Finished the epilogue today. While it has a few great moments the game really wore out its welcome by this point for me. Overall an amazing game I'll be thinking about for a while yet.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Donovan Trip posted:

Why can't I get my horse a bandana or her own little hat :mad:

I've wanted horsehats since RDR1 and it's especially egregious now that hats are all separate clothing items.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

If I sell a legendary carcass to the trapper do I still keep the item I need to get a trinket or should I skin it first?

Edit: The answer is yes, I got money and the antler back when I sold it.

The trapper also magically gets the animal parts if you happen to kill the legenndary animal but lose its carcass (e.g. if you were to die soon after).

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I've wanted horsehats since RDR1 and it's especially egregious now that hats are all separate clothing items.

It'd be good if they had horse blinders like Witcher 3 so your horse doesn't panic as easily (looking at you white Arabian).

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

My current hat style is to wear the hat of the last man I killed. I feel like it’s paying tribute to him in a way.

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010
so I guess pretty much all of New Austin is only there for angry garbage people to harass each other?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I think I'm close to the end (I'm at the part of Epilogue II where Abigail and Jack just arrived at the ranch) and Rockstar fatigue is finally setting in. I have about half the challenges, most of the legendary animal lists and non-collectible stranger missions done and am just now getting that sense of 'oh, another long horse ride? another shootout? okay whatever.' How close am I to the actual roll-credits ending?

Also, there seriously nothing to do after Chapter 6 in New Austin other than those 2-3 bounties and finishing up the legendary animals? It feels very desolate and melancholy.

winter.mute posted:

so I guess pretty much all of New Austin is only there for angry garbage people to harass each other?

To be fair this is kind of true in RDR1 too

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Could someone tell me about at what point in the game the Wanted Dead or Alive status on New Austin gets lifted? I'm currently near the end of Chapter 2 and kind of want the Legendary Pronghorn trinket that keeps corpses from rotting on your horse that looks to be in the middle of the DoA zone. Not sure whether to push on with the story or try to go hunting while dodging bounty hunters.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Bakanogami posted:

Could someone tell me about at what point in the game the Wanted Dead or Alive status on New Austin gets lifted? I'm currently near the end of Chapter 2 and kind of want the Legendary Pronghorn trinket that keeps corpses from rotting on your horse that looks to be in the middle of the DoA zone. Not sure whether to push on with the story or try to go hunting while dodging bounty hunters.

I’m starting Chapter 6 and it’s still there.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Bakanogami posted:

Not until The epilogue, so after chapter 6. You briefly go into Great Plains in chapter 2 but only in the area just outside Blackwater.

There's a glitch you can do in chapter 4 that lets you explore the area without being wanted, but someone else will have to explain that, or Google it

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
yeah i uh wouldn't hold your breath on that one, even if you make it that far there's too many lawmen around for any Legendary to spawn

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat. That looked like the most convenient doodad on the fence so I guess it makes sense that they won't let you have it easily.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I'm still getting stuck into chapter 3 and found a handy interactive map for all of the collectibles. I just unlocked the cave drawings one though and there are a few that still aren't open for me. To save from pointless backtracking, I'm trying to minimse riding all over the goddamned map and instead want to clear out a region at a time. At what chapter is it best to do this or am i pretty much going to have to complete the entire story before that becomes a viable option.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Kin posted:

I'm still getting stuck into chapter 3 and found a handy interactive map for all of the collectibles. I just unlocked the cave drawings one though and there are a few that still aren't open for me. To save from pointless backtracking, I'm trying to minimse riding all over the goddamned map and instead want to clear out a region at a time. At what chapter is it best to do this or am i pretty much going to have to complete the entire story before that becomes a viable option.

I wish i had blown through all the extra stuff in chapter 4

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Kin posted:

You can clear through most things by chapter 4. There are a few that don't unlock until then, mainly the exotics. You won't be able to finish the hunting requests, legendary fish or dinosaur bones until you reach the epilogue.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

UnknownMercenary posted:

You can clear through most things by chapter 4. There are a few that don't unlock until then, mainly the exotics. You won't be able to finish the hunting requests, legendary fish or dinosaur bones until you reach the epilogue.

Cool, i take it thats because of zone lockouts or some such? If so i'll clear all i can once i reach chapter 4.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

How exactly sidequests work? If I don't do them on the chapter they get available, will I no longer be able to do them later? Or is it with just specific ones that this happens?

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Dec 30, 2018

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Restarted the game and I'm gonna go through as super nice Arthur. I barely paid any attention to the camp my first play through, so I'm spending a lot of time there too. I'm almost done with Chapter 2 and gotta say, I don't feel like I missed much of anything skipping it to be honest. I'm already hearing repeats of stuff I heard in Chapter 4 just swinging in randomly and talking to people once in awhile. I am having a great time getting blasted drunk and complimenting everyone in the morning though.

Nice Guy Alcoholic Arthur is a pretty great dude.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Mystic Stylez posted:

How exactly sidequests work? If I don't do them on the chapter they get available, will I no longer be able to do them later? Or is it with just specific ones that this happens?
Any side quests in the camp are pretty time dependent and also very finnicky when they show up, so if you see them, just jump on them.

Most side quests can be saved for later, but there are obviously time dependent ones. If you start them, try to end them before the end of Chapter 6 though, remembering most collectible missions can't be completed till the Epilogue.

Do all the side quests in chapter 6 that come up in the general area of Chapter 6 though. I don't know if all of them go away after Chapter 6, but they really make Chapter 6 so much strong.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Kin posted:

Cool, i take it thats because of zone lockouts or some such? If so i'll clear all i can once i reach chapter 4.

Yes, some of them require you to be in the New Austin area to finish and that doesn't unlock until the epilogue.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Any side quests in the camp are pretty time dependent and also very finnicky when they show up, so if you see them, just jump on them.

Most side quests can be saved for later, but there are obviously time dependent ones. If you start them, try to end them before the end of Chapter 6 though, remembering most collectible missions can't be completed till the Epilogue.

Do all the side quests in chapter 6 that come up in the general area of Chapter 6 though. I don't know if all of them go away after Chapter 6, but they really make Chapter 6 so much strong.

I do believe the Veteran one and the one set in Butcher's Creek can be done post Chapter 6 but the rest of the ones do not.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Note that you CAN glitch in Chapter 4 and get all the stuff in New Austin without bounty hunters chasing you down, if it's that important to you (it was to me to get Arthur the Legend of the East outfit). You can do all the legendaries, dinosaur bones, etc.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I got out of a showdown series and got lost in the bullet time dimension.

https://twitter.com/WingfieldGareth/status/1079568171395358720

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Real talk: If the day comes when Rockstar decide they want to roll out RDR3, I would not mind it one single iota if the main protag was Sadie Adler.

marshmallow creep posted:

I got out of a showdown series and got lost in the bullet time dimension.

https://twitter.com/WingfieldGareth/status/1079568171395358720

This would be a cool multiplayer mode, maybe.

Parkour Lewis
Apr 10, 2002

Yes I wanna play.
I really really do.
Ok, the screaming happened again, only for a half second, but I managed to get video of it this time. Still in the same place though, it always happens in or around Hennigan's Stead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pol8kqYbWrY

Is this a glitch you think, or something in there on purpose to scare players? If it's not a ghost story can we make it one? Happened to me at least five times so far, the others lasting a couple seconds or more.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

Real talk: If the day comes when Rockstar decide they want to roll out RDR3, I would not mind it one single iota if the main protag was Sadie Adler.
Honestly, I'd argue that Rockstar legitimately needs to tell a story about a woman.

Arthur is sort of the perfection of the type of protagonist they've been trying to make since GTA IV. After ten years of telling stories about self-loathing men trying to escape their past and find a better life for themselves they actually nailed it with Arthur. But now the problem they have as a studio is that they actually have to tell different stories. Trying to retread on the same tropes they've been exploring is just going to suffer in comparison to Arthur. I think writing about a lady would at least help shake them out of their comfort zones.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Parkour Lewis posted:

Is this a glitch you think, or something in there on purpose to scare players? If it's not a ghost story can we make it one? Happened to me at least five times so far, the others lasting a couple seconds or more.

It sounds like a glitch to me. The scream just sort of cuts out and also, you're playing RDO. So glitch is more likely than programmed jump-scare.

Don't get me wrong though, there are legit ghosts in the game. I'm pretty sure they're not in RDO, though.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Honestly, I'd argue that Rockstar legitimately needs to tell a story about a woman.

Arthur is sort of the perfection of the type of protagonist they've been trying to make since GTA IV. After ten years of telling stories about self-loathing men trying to escape their past and find a better life for themselves they actually nailed it with Arthur. But now the problem they have as a studio is that they actually have to tell different stories. Trying to retread on the same tropes they've been exploring is just going to suffer in comparison to Arthur. I think writing about a lady would at least help shake them out of their comfort zones.

:agreed:

Also my hope is that by the time they even consider doing a third game society has moved past the instinctive vitriol in respects to anything involving a female protagonist in a series that has in the past primarily been about the male point of view. I mean Sadie would just be a loving dope character to play as and her story could take place after RDR2 and before RDR1 or even during/after.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 31, 2018

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga

Parkour Lewis posted:

Ok, the screaming happened again, only for a half second, but I managed to get video of it this time. Still in the same place though, it always happens in or around Hennigan's Stead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pol8kqYbWrY

this scream happens when I'm in the showdown menu between rounds. it's like when the mode changes from teams to free for all. you just hear multiple people scream like a trap down opened.

Parkour Lewis
Apr 10, 2002

Yes I wanna play.
I really really do.
Well like I said, the first time it happened for longer, like two seconds, but yeah, suddenly cut out. For some reason my PS4 got weird with the capture and only captured starting a few seconds after it, both times.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like Arthur making fun of John for not being able to swim.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

zooted heh posted:

this scream happens when I'm in the showdown menu between rounds. it's like when the mode changes from teams to free for all. you just hear multiple people scream like a trap down opened.

Seconded

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’d love a female lead in a r* game but it would probably take a few games to get to something as good as Arthur.

AndyElusive posted:

:agreed:

Also my hope is that by the time they even consider doing a third game society has moved past the instinctive vitriol in respects to anything involving a female protagonist in a series that has in the past primarily been about the male point of view.

This is the part that makes it seem extremely unlikely that they’d put in the time it would take.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Just got the game, and, huh, it's excellent but also weird.

1- My first mission was a disaster because at night it's really loving dark and it took me several tries to save the snake oil salesman from the rapids. I was basically following him blind. The thing is I tried buying a lantern in the General Store aaaaand nope, not there. So now I have no idea what I'll do next time I have a mission at night.
2- Went to a small village, farmer tells me I'm "not welcome there" (why?), I try to Defuse and immediately run away from him, still get shot by him and his pal. Da gently caress? As soon as I kill them, a witness runs away because I am now a murderous murderer. Uhhhhh
3- Met a woman trapped under her horse. I free her and immediately put the deer down or whatever I had stowed to skin it and leave enough room on my horse for her, not even 30 seconds have passed and she's like "never mind I'll get home by myself". Da gently caress?

I think I'll just shoot every living being in RDR2

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Kawabata posted:

I think I'll just shoot every living being in RDR2

Now you're getting it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Zipperelli. posted:

Now you're getting it!

i wanted to be the good guy but then i shot two witnesses in cold blood

i'm at the point where if i dont like someone's language and no one's around to watch ill just dead eye shoot him six times in the dick