Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Infinotize posted:

The engineering explained dude did a carbon impact of ev vs ice video that is interesting (cost ignored) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RhtiPefVzM

Wow, that's way faster than I would have expected. I thought the CO2 embodied in a vehicle was much larger. Making me rethink my "drive my car until it's literally falling apart" strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Wow, that's way faster than I would have expected. I thought the CO2 embodied in a vehicle was much larger. Making me rethink my "drive my car until it's literally falling apart" strategy.

One glaring omission is that he didn’t take into account the carbon footprint to produce gasoline, but did so with producing batteries. I would bet that has an absolutely massive impact on the carbon footprint.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Trouble is, truck choice will operate according to the same misplaced masculinity regardless of whether the electric truck (let’s be real, it’ll be the Tesla) creams every ICE truck on the market at the jobsite. Driving one will make you some kind of vegan liberal pussy even if it obliterates a Raptor in a sprint, has twice the towing capacity, and loving prints money.

Nah, if it's better commercial fleet operators will go for it. There was a time when all OTR trucks were Mack, Kenworth, Peterbuilt etc. Volvo and others entered the market and some operators talked a lot of trash but the bean counters who approve purchasing don't give a gently caress about their opinions. Volvo is bringing BEV class 8 trucks to California in 2020.

If you mean pickups specifically, well it might be a while before the technology catches up with how people use trucks in the USA (inexplicably, as long distance family haulers).... But again if it's really better it will catch on. It doesn't really matter what yokel local thinks, it matters what the guy with the HVAC company looking at his monthly fueling bill thinks.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

what is the axle weight going to be of an electric F-150 or semi truck? :gonk:

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Whew the blizzard in NM was rough on us, we were stuck on I-75 for 8 hours. I had to turn off climate control in order to make sure we still had enough range.

We’re out of the snow now, car needs a wash!

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Some interesting info in the monthly stickies in /r/electricvehicles.

From the global sales info thread (https://www.reddit.com/r/electricvehicles/comments/aafmft/global_ev_sales_november/)

From the US sales info thread, which hasn't updated yet this month (https://www.reddit.com/r/electricvehicles/comments/a3542h/us_monthly_electric_vehicle_sales_thread_november/)

In case you missed it, that last image shows US sales going up 4x in the past (less than) year. Holy poo poo.

EDIT: Looking at the source, it would be more accurate to go with YoY numbers which are 1.8x compared to last year. Industry only doubled in a year, pack it up boys.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 30, 2018

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Really dumb observation after a few weeks of owning my Volt. I knew is love not paying for gas hardly ever, but I didn't anticipate how much I love that I don't have to worry about fluctuating prices. I was always paranoid about when to buy gas because what if it goes up tomorrow? What if I buy it now and it crashes 25c in a couple days? Now, who cares! Charging my Volt is the same $/kWh now as it was last week and as it will be next week. I can fill up whenever I want! I feel so free!

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Whew the blizzard in NM was rough on us, we were stuck on I-75 for 8 hours. I had to turn off climate control in order to make sure we still had enough range.
As impractical as an EV motorcycle is in every other way, I love how the climate control (a 90W jacket liner) has no appreciable effect on range. Running it for 24 hours on max will eat 15% of my battery.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

If you like your current car, IMO the economically and environmentally best decision is to keep your current car. You save your money and you save all the CO2 that goes into building the replacement car. Plus for electrics specifically the market is changing pretty dang fast so waiting a few years may get you a substantially better/cheaper product.

The question of break even on manufacture/use was already addressed, but I would like to point out that in this case the Model 3 would not be replacing the Taurus. Someone would buy it and they would probably drive the Taurus just as much as johnny sack had. They in turn would sell their 2009 model Average Car to someone else who in turn would get rid of their old car. In the end the car that is being replaced is some more than decade old junker that no one wants to buy anymore and it ends up in the junkyard or is left to rot in the backyard. Also the recycling rate for cars is pretty high, so that improves the calculation even more.

Thing brings up an interesting thought exercise, how many cars should be bought every year to minimize the total CO2 emissions?

Saukkis fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 30, 2018

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Ulf posted:

Some interesting info in the monthly stickies in /r/electricvehicles.

From the global sales info thread (https://www.reddit.com/r/electricvehicles/comments/aafmft/global_ev_sales_november/)

From the US sales info thread, which hasn't updated yet this month (https://www.reddit.com/r/electricvehicles/comments/a3542h/us_monthly_electric_vehicle_sales_thread_november/)

In case you missed it, that last image shows US sales going up 4x in the past (less than) year. Holy poo poo.

EDIT: Looking at the source, it would be more accurate to go with YoY numbers which are 1.8x compared to last year. Industry only doubled in a year, pack it up boys.

Last year was 200k *EVs. This year Tesla sold what—130k Model 3s? 150k? That’s almost all of the increase right there.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Ulf posted:

As impractical as an EV motorcycle is in every other way, I love how the climate control (a 90W jacket liner) has no appreciable effect on range. Running it for 24 hours on max will eat 15% of my battery.

Oh yeah, the heated seats also won’t do jack to the battery, that’s what kept us from freezing!

I’m still riding a fossil motorcycle (Husky 701). Some day I’ll be 100% electric.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

For winter EV road trips a nice fleece throw helps your passengers a lot.

brb buying a driving snuggie

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Digging deeper it seems like Leaf sales have fallen off a cliff in the US (they still do well elsewhere in the world). I'll miss you, weird little bug car. :patriot:

EDIT: ^^^^
Driving gloves? check
Driving sunglasses? check
Driving shoes, even though I don't have to heel-toe in an EV? check
Driving snuggie? oh that's a big check.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 30, 2018

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Ulf posted:

Digging deeper it seems like Leaf sales have fallen off a cliff in the US (they still do well elsewhere in the world). I'll miss you, weird little bug car. :patriot:

There are probably now enough EV options that the mediocre battery cooling and fast charge penalty because of it are turning off any EV purchaser who has done any research.

Shame the 2019 battery back still isn't redesigned

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

RZA Encryption posted:

The wife and daughter were snuggled up under a Sherpa throw from Costco. PBUC.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

RZA Encryption posted:

The first is a good suggestion, the second is loving brilliant. Gonna get me a performance driving Snuggie and have the alpinestars logo embroidered on it. :hellyeah:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Qwijib0 posted:

There are probably now enough EV options that the mediocre battery cooling and fast charge penalty because of it are turning off any EV purchaser who has done any research.

Shame the 2019 battery back still isn't redesigned

They were supposed to unveil the 60kWh battery pack at the LA Auto show, but didn't thanks to the Ghosn stuff! It's rescheduled for CES, January 8 or so.

edit: source
https://electrek.co/2018/12/04/60kwh-nissan-leaf-to-debut-at-ces-w-100kw-charging-200-hp-well-be-there/

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

drgitlin posted:

Last year was 200k *EVs. This year Tesla sold what—130k Model 3s? 150k? That’s almost all of the increase right there.

has this been confirmed by independent (non-tesla) sources?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Charles posted:

They were supposed to unveil the 60kWh battery pack at the LA Auto show, but didn't thanks to the Ghosn stuff! It's rescheduled for CES, January 8 or so.

edit: source
https://electrek.co/2018/12/04/60kwh-nissan-leaf-to-debut-at-ces-w-100kw-charging-200-hp-well-be-there/

Along with the 60kWh battery pack, which sadly is still rumored to be passively air cooled, Nissan is expected to up its CHAdeMO charging speeds to 100kW.

No active cooling and 100 kW charging seems like a nightmare, hope that's false.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Not directly related to a manufactured EV, but this has been sitting on the local CL the last few weeks and i'm half tempted to pick it up.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/seattle-1991-miata-special-edition/6763761722.html

It needs a few grand in parts/wiring, but nothing outside of my wheelhouse. I think it would make a fun summer commuter for my ~40 mile round trip.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Ripoff posted:

The first is a good suggestion, the second is loving brilliant. Gonna get me a performance driving Snuggie and have the alpinestars logo embroidered on it. :hellyeah:

driving suits are comfortable as gently caress and warm, hth

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

the spyder posted:

Not directly related to a manufactured EV, but this has been sitting on the local CL the last few weeks and i'm half tempted to pick it up.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/seattle-1991-miata-special-edition/6763761722.html

It needs a few grand in parts/wiring, but nothing outside of my wheelhouse. I think it would make a fun summer commuter for my ~40 mile round trip.

Well shoot if you're up for completing it that seems like a really neat thing. I've been (VERY) casually looking at EV conversion stuff and it's not cheap. If you're looking for a project that seems like a good deal.

Also I'm in Federal Way and would love to see it!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Qwijib0 posted:

Along with the 60kWh battery pack, which sadly is still rumored to be passively air cooled, Nissan is expected to up its CHAdeMO charging speeds to 100kW.

No active cooling and 100 kW charging seems like a nightmare, hope that's false.

Ahh I missed that line. Dang

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Is Nissan just completely married to the idea of an air-cooled battery pack? I assume it's cheaper to produce and they've decided that's worth the performance/degradation tradeoffs?

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
^^^ I suspect that Nissan is going after a price point in temperate (or at least cooler) markets (Europe?), and is giving up on selling Leafs to Arizonans with their US-sized commutes.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

has this been confirmed by independent (non-tesla) sources?

145k is the Bloomberg estimate (https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018-tesla-tracker/, subtract the 2500 '17 deliveries), and they are open with the sources they use to build that estimate. Tesla skeptics have often promoted the Bloomberg number so I don't think it's going to be biased toward the high end (skeptics loved it because it was indicating they were having trouble hitting 5k/wk last quarter).

Ulf fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 30, 2018

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Is Nissan just completely married to the idea of an air-cooled battery pack? I assume it's cheaper to produce and they've decided that's worth the performance/degradation tradeoffs?

it would seem really weird to me if they are intentionally not going to ever improve the thermal management of the battery. perhaps it's an issue of how this car has been in production for years, and now that cars with better management (e.g. the Bolt) have been released, it looks like the leaf has been leapfrogged

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Rapidgate is a thing with the leafs in Norway of all places. They screwed up. The new i3 has effectively double the usable range because it fast charges like a champ.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

angryrobots posted:

If you mean pickups specifically, well it might be a while before the technology catches up with how people use trucks in the USA (inexplicably, as long distance family haulers).... But again if it's really better it will catch on..
If only one of the largest sellers of pickup trucks had a mature PHEV platform to put in there... I do hope that the next few years will see that platform come back.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Jimong5 posted:

If only one of the largest sellers of pickup trucks had a mature PHEV platform to put in there... I do hope that the next few years will see that platform come back.

We should be 2 weeks of the f-150 hybrid debut, within a year of it hitting the road. spy shots suggest there's a plug in the front fender which makes sense because it should be the same hybrid system as the PHEV Aviator. Gm has also said more vehicles will get the "volt treatment"

The regular models are more efficient now than the silverado hybrids were when they were around, so the hybrid f-150 is going to have to be pretty drat good to catch peoples attention.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Powershift posted:

Gm has also said more vehicles will get the "volt treatment"

You mean canceled?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Powershift posted:

We should be 2 weeks of the f-150 hybrid debut, within a year of it hitting the road. spy shots suggest there's a plug in the front fender which makes sense because it should be the same hybrid system as the PHEV Aviator. Gm has also said more vehicles will get the "volt treatment"

The regular models are more efficient now than the silverado hybrids were when they were around, so the hybrid f-150 is going to have to be pretty drat good to catch peoples attention.

That Silverado wasn't really a hybrid in the conventional sense though. IIRC it was just a bigger, beefier starter motor and lead acid battery that let it pull away on the starter. Essentially just stop-start.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Around here PHEV vahicles are very popular as company cars. For example, with taxes a BMW 530e PHEV (45 km all electric range) is 9000€ cheaper than a 530i and 15000€ cheaper than 530d so it is easy to see why.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Finger Prince posted:

That Silverado wasn't really a hybrid in the conventional sense though. IIRC it was just a bigger, beefier starter motor and lead acid battery that let it pull away on the starter. Essentially just stop-start.

48v mild hybrids are a thing https://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/05/48-volt-mild-hybrids-a-possible-cure-for-diesel-emissions-cheats/

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

This sounds basically like how my '03 Civic hybrid works. I don't know the actual implementation details under the hood, but the electric motor isn't strong enough to drive the car by itself; it just AFAICT helps to start the engine and keep it in its most efficient RPM range. It was good enough to get me high-40's MPG when I bought the car in '08, degrading to around 35MPG now after around 150k miles.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I'm on the plane to Tromsø right now to pick up my new S75D :toot:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I was actually looking up the ram e-torque economy earlier before i got distracted by something shiny or something

the e-torque is only a $500 option once you figure out which configs allow it, so pretty much a no-brainer.

Also looked up the Aviator PHEV propaganda and judging by the physical size of the battery, i can't see it being much larger than ~8kwh so even though you can run in electric only mode, it probably won't be good for any more than 25 miles.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

the spyder posted:

This is a pretty good deal for what’s included, even without batteries or a controller. I’d be a bit suspicious of the batteries, because if he just bought them and hasn’t used them yet, he ought to be able to sell them for something. If the included batteries are in good shape, it’s a screaming deal. Depending on the battery situation, that motor could produce a LOT of power for a little Miata.

I wholeheartedly endorse more of AI joining me down the rabbit hole of EV conversions!

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 30, 2018

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I wish I was handy enough to do EV conversions because I'd love to do it with weird-rear end cars like a toyota century.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

If you are handy enough to do typical car work you are handy enough to do an EV conversion. Overall it’s simpler than an ICE car and there’s lots of resources online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
What do you do with the transmission tunnel?