Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It would feel right to get a trilogy, so I hope it happens. And I hope the DLC team who put out some really cool stuff get to do it.

This likely doesn't mean anything, but Forgotten Sanctum adds a potential extra ending to the game: Eothas is stopped but, due to circumstances, the Wheel still gets broken. Making even that secret ending lead to the breaking of the Wheel could suggest that they're planning for a future game with the premise of "well, now that the Wheel is broken..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

DLC is kicking my rear end again and giving me restartitis, especially the seeker/slayer fight against Maewald - turns out he's pissed I absorbed his soul. Nice to finally have confirmation whether that was a good or bad choice, morally speaking. :allears:

Anyone got an up-to-date mod that makes arquebuses deal crush or pierce/crush?

Some new ending observations: You can foil the Tikawaka assassination by letting the guy get linched, Port Maje one still happens even if you don't deal with the "stalker" though, dunno how to mess up that one other than just not doing the quest. Also they fixed the workaround where Pallegina remains if you side with Huana by murdering the ruataians, funnily enough Maia still doesn't care.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Dec 30, 2018

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Can I kind of go grab the BoW companion but not do the DLC right after? I turned Level Scaling off for this run and the quest is still at 3 skulls but I really want him.

Also, party composition poll:

- MC is an Inquisitor (Paladin Bleak Walker/Cipher Soul Blade) - she just melts things while taking no damage
- Edér Swashbuckler
- Xoti Priest (to be replaced by Vatnir)
- Tekehu Druid + Chanter
- ???

I'm not sure about the last spot. For now I have a mercenary Ranger. Thinking of replacing him with Maia for banter and flavor. I'm kind of lacking a Wizard but I feel that Tekehu should be good enough for damage spells.

Maybe a full on Chanter who focuses on summons?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Furism posted:

Can I kind of go grab the BoW companion but not do the DLC right after? I turned Level Scaling off for this run and the quest is still at 3 skulls but I really want him.

- MC is an Inquisitor (Paladin Bleak Walker/Cipher Soul Blade) - she just melts things while taking no damage
- Edér Swashbuckler
- Tekehu Druid + Chanter
- ???

I'm not sure about the last spot. For now I have a mercenary Ranger. Thinking of replacing him with Maia for banter and flavor. I'm kind of lacking a Wizard but I feel that Tekehu should be good enough for damage spells.

To get to Vatnir you need to beat a rather difficult boss so I'm not sure you can do it super early. You can get Maia and have a ranger AND a wizard if you wanna plug up both those holes. Personally, I like having 3 front liners who can take damage, one of them is usually a back line diver as well. If you're not fussed about full companions, Mirke as a Rogue/Monk is a lot of fun.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Miftan posted:

To get to Vatnir you need to beat a rather difficult boss so I'm not sure you can do it super early. You can get Maia and have a ranger AND a wizard if you wanna plug up both those holes. Personally, I like having 3 front liners who can take damage, one of them is usually a back line diver as well. If you're not fussed about full companions, Mirke as a Rogue/Monk is a lot of fun.

Yeah, I like martial-oriented parties more but right now with the ranger's Lion it's getting kind of cluttered. That's why I was thinking of bringing a summon-focused Chanter. I think I'll stick to Priest Xoti until I get Vatnir and swap the mercenary Ranger with Maia.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Furism posted:

Yeah, I like martial-oriented parties more but right now with the ranger's Lion it's getting kind of cluttered. That's why I was thinking of bringing a summon-focused Chanter. I think I'll stick to Priest Xoti until I get Vatnir and swap the mercenary Ranger with Maia.

The problem with Summon focused chanters is that they can only have 1 Summon at at a time, so they have to respect at later levels so the lower level summons aren't wasted. That being said, chanters are great and some of the phrases are worth it on their own. If you don't mind an Adventurer, a chanter/ranged class could work well. Maybe a rogue for the debuffs. I'm using Serafen as a Ranged barbarian right now and that's fun too!

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

How are you all building swashbuckler Eder?

I wanna do a “pragmatic bad guy” backing ruaiai next - probably some kind of two handed barb or such. Is whispers of endless path still good or was it nerfed too much?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Avalerion posted:

I wanna do a “pragmatic bad guy” backing ruaiai next - probably some kind of two handed barb or such. Is whispers of endless path still good or was it nerfed too much?

Riposte tank dual wielding sabers, usually.

I don't like it post need to be honest. It just doesn't dk enough damage over regular 2 hander swords. The cone is quite small still.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

I really hope Deadfire gets a sequel, complete with carrying the Watcher into a third game. I think this game is the apex of the infinity engine -like games and I want to see more of this world Obsidian has built.

I'm mostly wanting the first game in the deadfire engine since I generally prefer 1 but it's missing so much cool stuff from 2

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I want to know what the gently caress is up with the Living Lands, if there's a 3 I hope we go there.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Avalerion posted:

Some new ending observations: You can foil the Tikawaka assassination by letting the guy get linched, Port Maje one still happens even if you don't deal with the "stalker" though, dunno how to mess up that one other than just not doing the quest. Also they fixed the workaround where Pallegina remains if you side with Huana by murdering the ruataians, funnily enough Maia still doesn't care.

I think instead of dealing with the stalker at Port Maje you just have to tell the agent to take the paper and go. She protests that if the stalker sees she might be in danger and you say "oh so you're not willing to die for your country" or something like that. I haven't finished this playthrough but that dialogue option led to her taking the paper, presumably in full view of the stalker, and presumably getting taken care of offscreen.

I also tried just murdering the agent, but that led to Xoti turning hostile

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

2house2fly posted:

I think instead of dealing with the stalker at Port Maje you just have to tell the agent to take the paper and go. She protests that if the stalker sees she might be in danger and you say "oh so you're not willing to die for your country" or something like that.

That's exactly what I did this run, though Atsurak does say their agent had to be extracted early due to their blown cover the ending slide still showed the assassinations happened. :argh:

Maybe murdering him solo will work. :ninja:

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Dec 30, 2018

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

2house2fly posted:

I think instead of dealing with the stalker at Port Maje you just have to tell the agent to take the paper and go. She protests that if the stalker sees she might be in danger and you say "oh so you're not willing to die for your country" or something like that. I haven't finished this playthrough but that dialogue option led to her taking the paper, presumably in full view of the stalker, and presumably getting taken care of offscreen.

I also tried just murdering the agent, but that led to Xoti turning hostile

I told them to take the papers, go, and then did the diplomacy check-- in my ending slides, the assassination failed and Port Maje was great.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Avalerion posted:

I have him set up as a riposte tank with reckless brigandine, the legendary unique spear you can buy in sayuka, offhanding pukestabber with the numb upgrade and arrack set as his rest food. Numb +arrack gives him 25% melee DR; spear modal + the armor + talents gives him a high base engagement, and persistent distraction means everything he engages is flanked so he and other rogues will score free crits on them. The spear adds raw dots also which can help with armored enemies. You can toggle the dagger modal for bonus deflection if you want. The spear modal's stride penalty doesn't matter really, he has escape to move quickly and you can just turn it off briefly if you need to.

I usually have his second weapon set to the unique morningstar from arkemyr's vault for crush damage, paralysis procs and the body blows modal.

andrew smash fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Dec 30, 2018

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Avalerion posted:

DLC is kicking my rear end again and giving me restartitis, especially the seeker/slayer fight against Maewald - turns out he's pissed I absorbed his soul. Nice to finally have confirmation whether that was a good or bad choice, morally speaking. :allears:

Anyone got an up-to-date mod that makes arquebuses deal crush or pierce/crush?

Can Pallegina still stay if you helped her in the first game, and you side with the Huana?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

How the hell have I never taken Eder to the Concelhaut fight before? The dialogue is amazing.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Furism posted:

- Edér Swashbuckler
- Tekehu Druid + Chanter
- ???

Don’t forget that Ydwin has banter in this DLC also so to get the most out of it, I’d suggest bringing her along.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Can Pallegina still stay if you helped her in the first game, and you side with the Huana?

She left me in her disobey orders + galawain endgame state, dunno what happens if she never disobeys to begin with.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Avalerion posted:

She left me in her disobey orders + galawain endgame state, dunno what happens if she never disobeys to begin with.

A shame. But I ain’t gonna be no imperialist in my canon run, sorry Pal.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

What's the best way to build a pure Barbarian Serafen?

I want to take him along for the dialogue and such, especially since I'm probably gonna side with the pirates this time around, but Barbarian Serafen has been just painfully bad in most fights and I'm probably going to have to drop him for the DLC content.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

chaosapiant posted:

Don’t forget that Ydwin has banter in this DLC also so to get the most out of it, I’d suggest bringing her along.

Yeah I replaced my Ranger with Ranged Rogue+Cipher Ydwin. Blinding/Flanking (Phantom Foes) mobs left and right is pretty effective. She really can pick out lightly armored dudes and slaughter them, I like it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Khizan posted:

I want to take him along for the dialogue and such, especially since I'm probably gonna side with the pirates this time around, but Barbarian Serafen has been just painfully bad in most fights and I'm probably going to have to drop him for the DLC content.

Probably a two-hander with all of the cooldown reduction talents to maximize the advantage of having 0 recovery. Spirit Tornado is amazing. Uh, that's all I've got. Charge him in and kill things I guess.

E: also I never can bring myself to use non-gun ranged weapons (rods/wands/scepters excepted) and I know I'm missing out on some great weapons but...pirates!

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 30, 2018

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Khizan posted:

I prefer to use single class barbarians as tanks, since they're really tough and have efficient crowd control abilities like Spirit Tornado and Dazing Shout.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

Probably a two-hander with all of the cooldown reduction talents to maximize the advantage of having 0 recovery. Spirit Tornado is amazing. Uh, that's all I've got. Charge him in and kill things I guess.

Yeah, I've been considering slapping an enhanced morningstar on him due to the barbarian thing where they target the lowest of fort/deflection. Let him keep the debuff up for Disintegrates and Mule Kicks and my other fortitude attacks. I considered using the dagger modal to boost deflection without resorting to a shield, but barbarian deflection is so low that I don't really see a point in it. On PotD, he's gonna get hit and that's that. I may also try using Pukestabber and just keep Serafen liquored up all the time for the damage reduction.

I may just end up swapping Serafen out anyways, though. He's just not really contributing much and the DLC stuff is apparently really grueling on PotD. With Swashbuckler Eder and a Fighter/Soulblade PC, melee damage isn't really my problem right now anyways and Eder could just as easily rock the Pukestabber combo for damage reduction. Hit up BoW with something like PC/Eder/Aloth/Ydwin and then the new priest from the DLC. Two tanks, a wizard/rogue, cipher/rogue, and a full priest.

quote:

E: also I never can bring myself to use non-gun firearms and I know I'm missing out on some great weapons but...pirates!
If it's not a gun, it's not a firearm!

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Khizan posted:

Willbreaker/Body Blows synergizes really well with Dazing Shout and Spirit Tornado. I took Crushing Blow/Heart of Fury as the main clickables and went mostly passives for the rest. In full plate Serafen is almost as tanky as a Fighter and swings a lot faster. You can build Barbarians as backline divers instead, but if your party is caster heavy I wouldn't recommend it. Start with the default Barbarian AIs and adjust the timings to account for the Int duration bonus.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Ydwin, it would be great if you would not try to disintegrate anything with spell reflection on. Let's just have a moratorium on high level casting against those in general. (Although Eder's line when she dies is p.great.)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

wiegieman posted:

Ydwin, it would be great if you would not try to disintegrate anything with spell reflection on. Let's just have a moratorium on high level casting against those in general. (Although Eder's line when she dies is p.great.)

With the AI conditionals mod you can script that -- never cast against targets that have reflection active, etc.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Hey how effective did cross classing end up being? I'm looking to continue playing a chanter like I did in PoE 1 but maybe spicing it up with another class.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is reflection what’s causing my Cipher to kill himself when he casts poo poo like disintegrate on someone? I did the Nemnok fight the other night for the first time, only playing on normal. Saved Nemmy for last and my main character just died immediately (no wounds or anything) because it seemed like his disintegrate spell backfired.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Lucinice posted:

Hey how effective did cross classing end up being? I'm looking to continue playing a chanter like I did in PoE 1 but maybe spicing it up with another class.

It's good.

Herald (Chanter/Paladin) is arguably the strongest overall class in the game with everything it can contribute to a team while also being a surpassingly strong solo class. Various builds work well, but I like Unbroken/Shieldbearer.

Adding Skald to any melee class will lower your personal DPS but boost your party's, also with the possibility of healing and CC.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Lucinice posted:

Multi class characters on the whole seem to be better, and chanters pair well with almost everything.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Pure class Wizard, Monk, and Barbarian are good. Everyone else's level 8's and 9's just don't really weigh compared to multiclassing.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

andrew smash posted:

Multi class characters on the whole seem to be better, and chanters pair well with almost everything.

Oh I'm going to have fun figuring out a combination then.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Khizan posted:

Serafen is good with dual blunderbusses as a Barb. Use the two ones you get in his quests. Heart of fury plus dual mortars = everything dies.

That's a late tier ability of course but prior to that you can still get good mileage out of the build with Bloodlust and Frenzy.

I think retaliation works with ranged weapons too which means you can also try building him around that.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 31, 2018

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Haven't played since finishing the game on release, but the main thing with multiclassing is it greatly slows access to tier 6 and 7 abilities. But with the DLCs there's a lot more content so I presume the early/late balance shifts towards late.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
In regards to Pillars 2 - Has anyone got any hot tips for me with the battle system and stuff? I really like the game and want to enjoy it, but the battle system is a little frustrating just because I feel like I don't know what I'm doing and I'm not learning. Basically every fight is just my dudes automatically using their stuff with me sometimes stopping to make them do what I want, assuming they haven't already used up whatever ability I had in mind. Plus it's just hard to keep track of what's going on between 5 dudes and however many enemies.

Still also trying to learn what all the random stats and stuff do, I know there is an in game glossary you can always refer to, but if there's a link or something that breaks it down pretty good for idiots I can read when I'm not trying to play the game that might help. I'm guessing I'll learn it eventually, but I feel like compared to some other RPG's battle isn't really that common? I think I'm 5 or 6 hours into the game, I just got to Neketaka or wherever and I feel like there's really only been a handful of battles over that time. I know if I get a good grasp on it I'll really enjoy the game, I love things like decking out a party with different gear and abilities and stuff.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Don't suppose anyone has a good AI script for Herald Pallegina and/or Swashbuckler Eder? I'm looking to make those two as low maintenance as possible, basically, on a second playthrough.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Captain Oblivious posted:

Don't suppose anyone has a good AI script for Herald Pallegina and/or Swashbuckler Eder? I'm looking to make those two as low maintenance as possible, basically, on a second playthrough.

I'm not sure if sharing ai scripts works actually. Is there a way to do that?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm not sure if sharing ai scripts works actually. Is there a way to do that?

They're stored in Users/<you>/Saved Games/Pillars of Eternity 2/CustomAIBehaviors. Can just copy files out of there and drop them in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm near the end of the game, and I feel kinda dumb asking this but how do I start the last two DLCs? SSS and Forgotten Sanctum. I figured I would have gotten a missive but I haven't. Speaking of:

Spoiler request, end game. What companions do you end up losing depending on who you ally with for Ukaizo? I know you lose Tekehu and Pallegina if you ally with the RDC and assassinate the Queen.