Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I just watched The Monster

Can anyone explain what the mom was thinking? It was finally established that the monster is afraid of light. So she creates a torch, walks into the woods, gets the monster’s attention, extinguishes the torch and tells her daughter to run. The monster destroys her as soon as the torch goes out.

I’ve never been more baffled by the ending to an otherwise decent horror movie. Why not use the torch and flashlight to try and make it to the road, or fend off the monster until daylight, using the ambulance filled with medical supplies to try and get through the night?

I get the allegory with the alcoholism and the monster...like am I supposed to think that terrible plan was just her mom screwing up again, failing to fight her demons?

I just cannot understand what that plan was supposed to be in any practical sense, so I’m scratching my head trying to come up with something else.

Ehud fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i watched Bird Box and it was a hot mess and about thirty minutes too long. can someone please make a horror movie feat. simultaneous pregnancies, john malkovich and cosmic terror thats actually scary? on the plua side it made me want to play Bloodborne again

then i watched Our House and it was just boring. i am keen to see the low budget original film tho

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I remember bouncing off pretty hard on The Editor the first time I watched it because all of its jokes seemed to boil down to, "gialli sure are violent and misogynistic, am I right, fellas?" Which is fine when you're doing a short film, I guess, but not enough to fill a feature. Maybe it deserves another shot.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I watched The Editor, Fathers Day and Manborg and thought they were all unfunny garbage where all of the constant “oh so random” jokes missed and they looked like they were made by a bunch of friends with no budget or acting talent.

Perhaps they’re just not for me, I don’t know why I watched all of them to be honest

I’ve watched almost every single giallo, I just thought it was a bad movie
vvvv

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 30, 2018

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I can see how The Editor would have no appeal unless you really watch a shitload of Giallo films and Italian horror.

Like the whole film is made of scenes that are a just parody from one scene to the next of specific scenes from different Giallo and Italian horror movies. Along with pastiches of characters from those films.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

ruddiger posted:

Ha, my ma got me this horror movie themed trivial pursuit game and I opened it up thinking the questions would be all softballs, but there's some deep cuts in here.

Here's a couple rondo questions from the game.

What is the name of the pub that protagonist David Kessler visits at the start of An American Werewolf in London (1981)? this is an easy one

Over how many years was Eraserhead (1977) filmed?

In Audition (1999), what number is Asami designated in the audition process?

Who directed The House on Sorority Row (1983) as well as episodes of Lizzie McGuire and Even Stevens?

What was the game? Those are good questions. I have "Slash Cards" which is that caliber of difficulty.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I thought The Editor was better than horror thread darling The Love Witch :shrug:

I mean Love Witch wasn't "bad" but I wasn't totally in love with it.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

King Vidiot posted:

I thought The Editor was better than horror thread darling The Love Witch :shrug:

I mean Love Witch wasn't "bad" but I wasn't totally in love with it.

I have a potion for you

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I thought The Love Witch was total loving garbage.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

alf_pogs posted:

i watched Bird Box and it was a hot mess and about thirty minutes too long. can someone please make a horror movie feat. simultaneous pregnancies, john malkovich and cosmic terror thats actually scary? on the plua side it made me want to play Bloodborne again

then i watched Our House and it was just boring. i am keen to see the low budget original film tho

I loved bird box, but I watched it in two sittings so it didn’t seem so long.

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018
Any thoughts on Terrified? My husband and I watched it a few hours ago and I’m a bit conflicted about it. On one hand, I really enjoyed the setup—the first half or so of the movie was great at creating a feeling of dread. I also thought the acting was quite good, as were the effects. On the other hand, I felt like the ending was a bit of a letdown.

I also wasn’t about how frequently they used scare chords in the movie. There were a few scares in particular I think would have been a lot more effective without them.

That said, there was one jumpscare complete with scare chord that got me good enough to make me scream, because even though I’ve seen hundreds if not thousands of horror movies, a halfway competent jumpscare will still get me to scream. I am a giant baby and I hope my neighbors didn’t think someone was in trouble.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Awww man I loving LOVED the Love Witch, it was one of my fav movies of that year but it is definitely not a horror movie by any stretch of the imagination.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ruddiger posted:

Ha, my ma got me this horror movie themed trivial pursuit game and I opened it up thinking the questions would be all softballs, but there's some deep cuts in here.

Here's a couple rondo questions from the game.

What is the name of the pub that protagonist David Kessler visits at the start of An American Werewolf in London (1981)? this is an easy one

Over how many years was Eraserhead (1977) filmed?

In Audition (1999), what number is Asami designated in the audition process?

Who directed The House on Sorority Row (1983) as well as episodes of Lizzie McGuire and Even Stevens?

The pub is the Slaughtered Lamb.

I think Eraserhead was shot over three years. Unless I'm thinking of Bad Taste, in which case it was probably two.

Never seen Audition and don't want to.

Never heard of House on Sorority Row outside this thread, never heard of either of the TV shows at all.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Eraserhead was in production for 5 years, but I'm not sure how much of that was actual filming.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Hollismason posted:

I thought The Love Witch was total loving garbage.

Hollis we can’t be friends any more :(

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I thought The Editor was great, and a lot better than the similar themed Berberian Sound Studio that gets a lot more praise.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
A friend of a friend brought that horror trivial pursuit to a Halloween getogether and I owned their p0ser asses.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Windows 98 posted:

Hollis we can’t be friends any more :(

It's bad bad not good bad.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Watched the Girl With All the Gifts
and the movie makes it even more obvious than the book that Melanie is incapable of understanding other people's emotions. She's confused when Parks isn't happy that she infected the whole world with the fungus and keeps Justineau as a pet even though that makes her miserable.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

I finally saw Hereditary now that it's on Amazon. It definitely lived up to the hype.

I interpreted the ending as an homage to the ending of The Graduate, where after the demon gets everything he wants, the camera gives us a close-up of his first moment of self reflection, and what he feels is shock and buyer's remorse.

When you imagine the 7th king of hell being summoned from the underworld to find his kingdom on earth is a tree house, a pair of dead bodies, 4 naked old people and a picture of his dead wife, it's almost a sitcom ending.

My other interpretation is the invocation failed, Peter is still Peter, and well, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izS1AVNd9Kk

Warm und Fuzzy fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 30, 2018

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Watched the Girl With All the Gifts
and the movie makes it even more obvious than the book that Melanie is incapable of understanding other people's emotions. She's confused when Parks isn't happy that she infected the whole world with the fungus and keeps Justineau as a pet even though that makes her miserable.

I thought the point wasn't that she "didn't understand", it's that she no longer recognized herself as "human". She viewed the infected kids as the future of the planet, as opposed to the humans who were living on borrowed time.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

I thought the point wasn't that she "didn't understand", it's that she no longer recognized herself as "human". She viewed the infected kids as the future of the planet, as opposed to the humans who were living on borrowed time.

She obviously wanted Parks and Justineau to keep living, but she didn't seem to understand that for them it would be hell to live in a world where everyone else is infected

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Jedit posted:

Never seen Audition and don't want to.

I feel legit bad for you and have to ask “why”. This movie is legitimately great as both horror and as a movie in general IMO. The only other things from the director I’ve seen are 13 Assassins, which I liked (but not nearly as much) and I started watching Ichi the Killer and stopped about a third of the way through because it just seemed not my thing at all.

A good part of Audition is a straight up drama about a lonely middle aged widower trying to find love, and it’s really well done IMO. And then.... it really brings the heat.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Choco1980 posted:

What was the game? Those are good questions. I have "Slash Cards" which is that caliber of difficulty.

The game's full title is Trivial Pursuit Horror Movie Edition 100 Years of Horror, looks like it came out in 2009, so it's missing any horror trivia from the past ten years.

There definitely are some easy questions, but like I said, there's a good amount of some legit head scratchers.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Zwabu posted:

I feel legit bad for you and have to ask “why”. This movie is legitimately great as both horror and as a movie in general IMO. The only other things from the director I’ve seen are 13 Assassins, which I liked (but not nearly as much) and I started watching Ichi the Killer and stopped about a third of the way through because it just seemed not my thing at all.

A good part of Audition is a straight up drama about a lonely middle aged widower trying to find love, and it’s really well done IMO. And then.... it really brings the heat.

Blade of the Immortal is legit one of the best movies he's made. I strongly recommend it if you enjoyed 13 Assassins. Miike is difficult to watch all of because he doesn't slow down and has made so many films but there's a core group of like 20 films he's made that are fantastic.

Ichi The Killer is okay. I use to love it but now the CGI is very very dated.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
The very first things I noticed on the poster for Us were the phrase "A New Nightmare from..." And the gloved right hand, so I briefly got myself hyped for a Jordan Peele Freddy movie for a tenth of a second. What we're actually getting looks brilliant, though.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Oh man, somehow, somebody better give Jordan Peele the reigns to direct a new Freddy movie.

That or Maniac Cop :aaaaa:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Nicolas Refn was suppose to produce a Maniac Cop remake but I don't think it ever materialized and was a stillborn production.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zwabu posted:

I feel legit bad for you and have to ask “why”. This movie is legitimately great as both horror and as a movie in general IMO. [...] I started watching Ichi the Killer and stopped about a third of the way through because it just seemed not my thing at all.

You answered your own question.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

bird box looks really bad and it makes me sort of irrationally annoyed that its become a hit off some sort of viral meme marketing campaign despite this

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tolkien minority posted:

bird box looks really bad and it makes me sort of irrationally annoyed that its become a hit off some sort of viral meme marketing campaign despite this
It is and when I see some of my friends saying it was really good I think "Is this the only movie you've ever seen?"

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Netflix has gotten extremely good at timing and marketing their movie releases. This being released in the dead week between Christmas and New Year’s when everyone is home was genius.

It also sucks

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Tolkien minority posted:

I haven't seen any marketing for it

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Narzack posted:

I haven't seen any marketing for it

thats cause the marketing was memes spread by bots

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Is the V/H/S series dead in the water now? Viral sucked bad aside from the rad wraparound and that one awesome segment about alternative dimensions but it was not so bad it should kill off a franchise.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I watched Bird Box last night due to seeing all the memes. I was high and even in that state the movie was stupid. "Go to where the birds are!"...what the gently caress? Are there no birds left in the world but there? Also why didn't the demons just jump in front of the hundreds of TV broadcasts, so that way millions of people would be "possessed" at once?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The beauty of Bird Box being on Netflix was that I could check out any time I wanted. The movie couldn't even make the end of the world segments interesting, it was just a lot of people panicking. Even bad zombie movies usually get that part right. Must be hard to make an invisible monster that has no physical effect on people scary though, especially when its powers are to remind us of The Happening.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

thats cause the marketing was memes spread by bots

I guess I'm double lucky, cuz I didn't see any memes, either. The benefits of no Twitter or Facebook, I guess.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Kvlt! posted:

Awww man I loving LOVED the Love Witch, it was one of my fav movies of that year but it is definitely not a horror movie by any stretch of the imagination.

Yeah, I think The Love Witch suffered from being touted as a brilliant horror parody even though it has barely anything to do with the genre. I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, but if you're familiar with the melodramas it's referencing, there's definitely some fun to be had.

If you want real garbage, watch Viva, the same director's parody of Russ Meyer's work, which somehow manages to be less entertaining than even the worst Russ Meyer film (and the man made some horrible films).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Samuel Clemens posted:

If you want real garbage, watch Viva, the same director's parody of Russ Meyer's work, which somehow manages to be less entertaining than even the worst Russ Meyer film (and the man made some horrible films).

The musical numbers in this are crazy bad