Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Jedit posted:

You answered your own question.

Okay, but I’m here to tell you... I took one for the team for you. I started watching the movie we both didn’t like, but I watched the other movie, Audition, which is a classic. I hope you decide to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Well bird box was a mixed bag, with an ending that completely bewildered me. I was waiting for some kind of twist. Anything.

but no, they live happily ever after in the a compound in the middle of the woods which is somehow self sustaining

Anyway, I actually enjoyed the monsters and the schizophrenics/super sane. Gary you rear end in a top hat. Why did they ask what’s in the bag but not check it. The designs of his drawings were sufficiently varied and freaky.

Outside of that cosmic horror fun stuff, it falls apart all over the place.

Probably most annoyed by them showing how difficult it is to navigate for the majority of the film, followed by 8 minutes of then sprinting through the woods via conveniently cleared out paths by sheer chance.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Any good New Years horror recommendations? My personal tradition is to watch Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters 2, but I'd love to discover some other options. Anything currently on Shudder?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Any good New Years horror recommendations? My personal tradition is to watch Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters 2, but I'd love to discover some other options. Anything currently on Shudder?

new years evil

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Are we still doing the Horror Missed Classics thread for January.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Basebf555 posted:

End of Days

lol

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Not actually New Years themed, but New Years related, here are some good legitimately terrifying Twilight Zone episodes that I think constitute as horror:

"Number 12 Looks Just Like You"
"Twenty Two"
"And When the Sky Was Opened"
"I Am the Night--Color Me Black"
"The Hitchhiker"

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Well bird box was a mixed bag, with an ending that completely bewildered me. I was waiting for some kind of twist. Anything.

but no, they live happily ever after in the a compound in the middle of the woods which is somehow self sustaining

Anyway, I actually enjoyed the monsters and the schizophrenics/super sane. Gary you rear end in a top hat. Why did they ask what’s in the bag but not check it. The designs of his drawings were sufficiently varied and freaky.

Outside of that cosmic horror fun stuff, it falls apart all over the place.

Probably most annoyed by them showing how difficult it is to navigate for the majority of the film, followed by 8 minutes of then sprinting through the woods via conveniently cleared out paths by sheer chance.

These are weird opinions of Bird Box. Not singling you out, it's just the last post about it that I saw.

First, never watch movies based on hype, ever. Clear your mind going in and see what the movie is trying to tell you and judge on how you relate with it.

Also, Bird Box is barely what I'd call horror - it's more apocalyptic fiction. And the whole movie is a metaphor for someone learning to actually live as opposed to just survive. With it being ^too obvious* and actually saying that in the movie and not great, but still a decent enough watch in showing it.

Also, Malkovich was one of the most super hyper competent characters in this type of film and was right about everything, but he was also just *surviving*, which the film was against.

And the premise is just Lovecraft. Unknowable creatures cause insanity and death, crazy people cult around it, the cult is more of an issue than the creatures. The ending is not sustainable, eventually, seeing crazy people will wipe out everyone. She's just giving the kids, who never knew another life, a chance to actually live for a bit.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Darko posted:

Also, Bird Box is barely what I'd call horror - it's more apocalyptic fiction.

Darko posted:

And the premise is just Lovecraft. Unknowable creatures cause insanity and death, crazy people cult around it, the cult is more of an issue than the creatures. The ending is not sustainable, eventually, seeing crazy people will wipe out everyone. She's just giving the kids, who never knew another life, a chance to actually live for a bit.

to me, these two things are why the movie feels completely at-odds with itself and ultimately frustrating. it presents an utterly unstoppable, unknowable terror, then asks us to accept a story that isn't actually a horror story; a story with an ending so emotionally upbeat that it feels counter to the rest of the film.

i felt the same frustration with the Haunting of Hill House series. backing out of the horror at the last minute feels like a betrayal of my expectations within the world the narrative has created.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

It's New Year's Eve it's time to make your horror movie thread New Year's horror movie resolutions!

My commitment is to watch more horror movies this year. More than I watched last year. Oh and to finally get around to watching Japanese horror from the 1990s.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

LifeLynx posted:

The beauty of Bird Box being on Netflix was that I could check out any time I wanted. The movie couldn't even make the end of the world segments interesting, it was just a lot of people panicking. Even bad zombie movies usually get that part right. Must be hard to make an invisible monster that has no physical effect on people scary though, especially when its powers are to remind us of The Happening.

From what I've read around, they did have some kind of greenscreen thing with a baby face to show the monster but it was so ridiculous looking that Sandra Bullock couldn't keep a straight face or would bust out laughing when she saw it so they went with the drawings and ambiguity.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

new years evil

Is this really any good? I guess I figured after Christmas Evil turned out to be such a unseen gem that lighting probably couldn't strike twice.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Basebf555 posted:

Is this really any good? I guess I figured after Christmas Evil turned out to be such a unseen gem that lighting probably couldn't strike twice.

It's a pretty mediocre slasher film. Has some decent gore that's about it. Otherwise unremarkable. It's not bad bad but it's not good bad either.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

It's a pretty mediocre slasher film. Has some decent gore that's about it. Otherwise unremarkable. It's not bad bad but it's not good bad either.

Sounds good enough to give it a shot at least, once I'm a few beers in post-Ghostbusters 2.

Then maybe a few late night Twilight Zone episodes.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I didn't read the book so don't even try bringing that stuff into my crazy Birdbox theory, but Sandra 100% dies at the end. She finished the story about the kids playing happily. People who look at the things say they see something extremely beautiful, that was her "beautiful thing".

No, I haven't worked out the extremely large holes in my theory, but it's the only way to make it an interesting movie.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
My roommates used to watch Steel Trap which takes place on New Years and actually is bad enough and bonkers enough that it was actually a pretty fun watch.

Also there's always an IMDB page.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

New Years Evil is a lot of fun imo, but I love the grimy punk aesthetic it has

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
So I found this podcast which goes into quite the depth about the themes and making of thread favourite "Lake Mungo". They are not strictly a horror podcast, but they have done similar deep dives into all kinds of horror fiction from John Carpenter's "Apocalypse Trilogy", Laird Barron, Nameless by Grant Morrison, M.R. James and the tradition of reading horror stories at Christmas eve, and more. It's worth a listen.

https://supercontextpodcast.libsyn.com/lake-mungo

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Hollismason posted:

Ichi The Killer is okay. I use to love it but now the CGI is very very dated.

It never looked good.

Except the old man face/body builder body which still looks suitably surreal.

Also, that guy is played by Shin’ya Sukamoto, director of Bullet Ballet and the Tetsuo series. One of my favourite bits of horror trivia.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I just found out there is a Henry, Portrait of A Serial Killer, Pt. 2

Apes-Ma posted:

So I found this podcast which goes into quite the depth about the themes and making of thread favourite "Lake Mungo". They are not strictly a horror podcast, but they have done similar deep dives into all kinds of horror fiction from John Carpenter's "Apocalypse Trilogy", Laird Barron, Nameless by Grant Morrison, M.R. James and the tradition of reading horror stories at Christmas eve, and more. It's worth a listen.

https://supercontextpodcast.libsyn.com/lake-mungo

Whoa, this owns.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Dissapointed Owl posted:

It never looked good.

Except the old man face/body builder body which still looks suitably surreal.

Also, that guy is played by Shin’ya Sukamoto, director of Bullet Ballet and the Tetsuo series. One of my favourite bits of horror trivia.

Apparently a bunch of the yakuza guys are other Japanese filmmakers that were Miike's peers at the time, iirc.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Whoa, this owns.

It's great, but it also made me sad to find out that Joel Anderson seems like he hasn't made anything since Lake Mungo.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Bird Box, more like coma box. gently caress, it was boring.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Bird Box isn't a horror movie. It's really a social commentary on racism.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I like New Year's Evil! It's New Wave as gently caress and it's above-average for a slasher.

Terror Train is another fun New Years Eve slasher.

Is there another slasher or horror flick that I can watch? I'm down to rewatch one of those, but I'd like to have a new one.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Franchescanado posted:

I like New Year's Evil! It's New Wave as gently caress and it's above-average for a slasher.

Terror Train is another fun New Years Eve slasher.

Is there another slasher or horror flick that I can watch? I'm down to rewatch one of those, but I'd like to have a new one.

Ghostbusters 2 has ghosts and also ends on New Years Eve

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

New Years Evil is tons of fun and it's got that weird band

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I just found out there is a Henry, Portrait of A Serial Killer, Pt. 2

Whoa, this owns.

It's just not the same without Michael Rooker really. It's just not great.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There's no way for it to be good but the fact that I didnt know of it is troubling to me.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Henry II would probably have been more liked if it wasn't called Henry II. Not the worst movie ever but it of course doesn't even approach the original. It's not a good movie but not particularly horrendous compared to how bad that kind of movie can get. It was a mainstay in all the video stores around me in my late teens.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There's also an American Psycho 2 and it is the worst.

Like how dare you even try that lol.

SMP
May 5, 2009

I just watched both Terror Train and New Year's Evil and somehow both are almost perfect Hitman movies.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Just watched New Year's Evil and I can confirm it owns. If you go in looking for Christmas Evil, you'll probably be disappointed though.

Franchescanado posted:

Well, there's always Phantom Carriage. I've also heard that Ghostkeeper is a good time but I haven't been able to track it down yet.

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

ONE CUT OF THE DEAD popped up on Amazon Prime yesterday for the briefest time and I rented it before it was taken down. Apparently it was a bootleg with fan made subs? How that got posted for rent I have no idea, but regardless it was a super fun watch and might squeak into my top 10 of the year. Very enjoyable, highly recommend, would watch again A++

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/12/amazon-one-cut-of-the-dead-zombie-bootleg-movie-pirated-1202031415/

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Just finished New Years Evil and yea its a lot of fun as a slasher but also as a bonus it's pretty drat good looking too. It helps that the transfer on Prime is really good quality. Good characters, fun and interesting setting with the live t.v. show taping, and a solid performance by the killer. He's a pretty scary guy but also gets a ton of screen time, which is rare for a slasher. The New Years themed horror subgenre seems very thin so I'll probably be watching this again in future years.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kvlt! posted:

I think that's more true with regards to the latter movie you mentioned. I mean it is tragic what Jacob went through in Vietnam, but at the end you get the feeling he is genuinely going to heaven or at least a happy "hereafter" with his son, whereas in Pam's Labyrinth there's always that question (to me at least) of whether the fantasy parts are real or whether they are just a little girl's way of coping with massive trauma They're both bittersweet and feature themes of tragedy and redemption, and both excellent movies.

This was from a while ago but because this is one of my pet peeves movie wise...

(Pan's Labyrinth spoilers, obviously.)

There is zero ambiguity in Pan's Labyrinth about whether magic is real. It explicitly is. Ophelia escapes from a locked, guarded room by drawing a door in chalk and walking through it. There was no other way out.

e: I've heard people complain about this once they spot it, but honestly, screw them, it's a fairy tale and it has a fairy tale ending. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 1, 2019

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
It could’ve been a metaphor :smug:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This was from a while ago but because this is one of my pet peeves movie wise...

(Pan's Labyrinth spoilers, obviously.)

There is zero ambiguity in Pan's Labyrinth about whether magic is real. It explicitly is. Ophelia escapes from a locked, guarded room by drawing a door in chalk and walking through it. There was no other way out.

If you read the story as from Ophelia's perspective(or at least, the parts that involve magic), we can't necessarily trust that what we're seeing there is reality.

Really, the whole movie comes down to the opening scene, when Ophelia sees that stick bug for the first time. If you interpret that moment as Del Toro giving the audience over to her POV, where magic is real, then the ending becomes more ambiguous.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Windows 98 posted:

It could’ve been a metaphor :smug:

yeah this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Fantasy in my fantasy horror movie ?!?!?!??

This will not stand!