Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Andrast posted:

Do you really need an answer for that?
No, but obviously it's fun to conjecture about it. It's also something that never occurred to me until I saw it mentioned somewhere.

Gnome de plume posted:

The question was about fantasy inter-racial sex. Reproduction is not a compulsory component of dwarf/whatever boning-down.

I figured it was a question along the lines of, "So if an elf and dwarf had sex, could the dwarf get pregnant, or does the dwarf's resistance to poison, disease, and magic serve as form of birth control?"

Also, of the three questions, that was the one that wasn't totally abhorrent and seemed riff-able if interpreted in a different way then what was probably intended.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

indeed.

all they do is act snooty and call me "mayfly".

*get called 'mayfly' for the 500th time*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjHclWPVij0

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Kerellian is an rear end in a top hat and Kruber is my friend

i main as saltzpyre mostly. i just love the dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azOvRwrqz2M

how the gently caress have i never seen this dude before.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 28, 2018

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

The fourth Witcher novel has the exact thing happen, because the elf Avallach was jealous that all the elf ladies were loving the eternally fertile humans while the elf men couldn't get it up. He blamed it on biotruths claiming that elven women could only reproduce every few decades and that the crude humans were so horny they could actually reproduce, but the implication is that the elven women found centuries of monogamy to be incredibly boring from a sexual standpoint. So the male elves are all a bunch of jealous cuckolded dipshits making up excuses for their own impotence.

lol this thread has everything.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

The fourth Witcher novel has the exact thing happen, because the elf Avallach was jealous that all the elf ladies were loving the eternally fertile humans while the elf men couldn't get it up. He blamed it on biotruths claiming that elven women could only reproduce every few decades and that the crude humans were so horny they could actually reproduce, but the implication is that the elven women found centuries of monogamy to be incredibly boring from a sexual standpoint. So the male elves are all a bunch of jealous cuckolded dipshits making up excuses for their own impotence.

i mean, if i were part of some super long lived species. id want some spice in my life other then the same boring knife eared rear end in a top hat. "exoticism" and all that poo poo, but instead of it being white guys being weird creeps about ethnicity, its elves loving halflings or dudu or dandilion or something.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
As I've been playing through Elder Scrolls Online, there's been less elf bullshit to deal with than I thought there would be, but still plenty of situations where I just had to nod my head and go "oh, right, so some elf bullshit then".

Though on top of that there's also all the elves who are extremely racist when it comes to the Khajit and Argonians.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

John Murdoch posted:

As I've been playing through Elder Scrolls Online, there's been less elf bullshit to deal with than I thought there would be, but still plenty of situations where I just had to nod my head and go "oh, right, so some elf bullshit then".

Though on top of that there's also all the elves who are extremely racist when it comes to the Khajit and Argonians.

Elder Scrolls elves, at least the High ones, are all basically Magical Elf Nazis as of the Skyrim era because they believe that humanity existing is preventing them from ascending into ethereal spiritual beings. The war that precedes the events of Skyrim was literally a war of genocide, the end goal of which was the complete eradication of all of humanity. They only reason they go in for peace with the Empire is because the war is ruining them and they need time to recover, but the terms of peace are designed to weaken humanity as a whole so it will be easier to genocide them later. It sucks because the force opposing them are a bunch of literal white nationalists so your choice in the Civil War in Skyrim is between Nazi collaborators and white nationalists.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
In the era of ESO, the Dunmer have only just recently stopped keeping Argonians as slaves. (Except for House Telvanni, who refused to join the Ebonheart Pact at all over it.) So there's a lot of :yikes:takes from those fuckers. Similarly, there's a streak of anti-Khajit sentiment in parts of the Aldmeri Dominion where the rest of the elves are.

The third faction is pretty chill by comparison (well, while you're aligned with them, because naturally once you're on the other sides they're loving monsters) but there is still the occasional offhand dismissal of orcs.

Also I'm tired of Nords calling me and everyone else milk drinkers. :argh:

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 28, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mischalaniouse posted:

Elder Scrolls elves, at least the High ones, are all basically Magical Elf Nazis as of the Skyrim era because they believe that humanity existing is preventing them from ascending into ethereal spiritual beings. The war that precedes the events of Skyrim was literally a war of genocide, the end goal of which was the complete eradication of all of humanity. They only reason they go in for peace with the Empire is because the war is ruining them and they need time to recover, but the terms of peace are designed to weaken humanity as a whole so it will be easier to genocide them later. It sucks because the force opposing them are a bunch of literal white nationalists so your choice in the Civil War in Skyrim is between Nazi collaborators and white nationalists.

i kinda assumed the empire was less nazi collaborators just trying to buy itself time so they could fight back against the dominion because they know they can't beat them right now and they need to get their house in order. the treaty is awful but if they didn't take it, they would be dead sooner. also ulfric is possible a dominion sleeper agent anyway too.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Whats even worse is p much all poo poo is elf poo poo in Tamriel cause even the goddamn orcs are a type of elf.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

LunarShadow posted:

Whats even worse is p much all poo poo is elf poo poo in Tamriel cause even the goddamn orcs are a type of elf.

got some bad news about lord of the rings champ

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Dabir posted:

got some bad news about lord of the rings champ

I am aware that it is Tolkien all the way down.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

One IP to rule them all.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Annointed posted:

One IP to rule them all.

Warcraft?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Annointed posted:

One IP to rule them all.

Quest for Glory :qfg:

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Youtube channel blameitonjorge put together a short documentary on the search for an animated short that aired on Nickelodeon in the 80s that sounds like a Candle Cove-style creepypasta but turned out to be real:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3hBYS6M-m0

I think this short may have gotten a mention/shout-out in Pop Arena's Nick Knacks previously but this video definitely goes into more detail on how it was rediscovered.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Dec 29, 2018

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

LunarShadow posted:

Oh yeah, that too. Between stuff in Skyrim and ESO I've learned that there's an endless number of specific types of elves beyond the standard playable races.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mr.Radar posted:

Youtube channel blameitonjorge put together a short documentary on the search for an animated short that aired on Nickelodeon in the 80s that sounds like a Candle Cove-style creepypasta but turned out to be real:

I think this short may have gotten a mention/shout-out in Pop Arena's Nick Knacks previously but this video definitely goes into more detail on how it was rediscovered.

Lol I kept getting this as a recomended video but I figured it was because I listen to creepypasta vids as background noise. Nope turns out this is Candle Cove But Real I guess!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Mr.Radar posted:

the actual short is pretty sweet and cute aside from, yknow, the kidnapping part

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CYBEReris posted:

the actual short is pretty sweet and cute aside from, yknow, the kidnapping part

yea it's a genuinely really neat video to illustrate the holes and patches your memory can make. A kinda sweet if a bit creepy harmless kid's fairy tale short became 'a horrible clock monster tormented a child for no reason' over time.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Mischalaniouse posted:

The "Want to genocide humans because they believe that's all that's preventing them from ascending into ethereal spiritual beings" is a bit that's largely extrapolated from a forum post made by Michael Kirkbride, who used to be a main writer for Bethesda back in the Morrowind days but left, though he still does some contract work for them with Elder Scrolls stuff. It's not surprising that people have latched onto it because the official motive behind the Thalmor's Talos persecution is given next to no explanation beyond "Men can't be Gods" and heavy Nazi coding. None of this is to say that I think that's a bad idea, either, but rather that I don't think Bethesda even thought that far ahead when they made Skyrim, they just made them Elf Nazis and somebody else had to come in and seed a more interesting idea on a forum after the fact.

All of which I find to be just a bit disappointing because I think "Hey, stop worshiping the Imperialist rear end in a top hat who dragged our country kicking and screaming into his Empire with an ancient war machine" would have been a more interesting motive and could've made for a better over all story. But then again, it's Bethesda so we get Nazi collaborators and white nationalists.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 29, 2018

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mischalaniouse posted:

If you play Skyrim and actually read all those books lying around and if you speak with enough people, it slowly becomes clear that the entire civil war in Skyrim was engineered by the High Elves to weaken the empire, so by joining the Pride of the North, you are also helping the High Elves.

Another thing, the High Elves don't want to "kill all humans", they just want their own gods to rain supreme and fight the war for mainly religious reasons. They also want to rule, but at worst Humans will be enslaved, not exterminated. And not allowed to have their own gods.

In fact, if you join on the imperial side to fight the Northern Nazi Party, the imperials sometimes drop hints that they, too are playing for time to get this rebellion put down fast and recover before the High Elves are ready for the next war.

So after carefully assessing all facts, there is no choice at all. You either fight for the Empire, or the Elves will eventually win and enslave all Humans.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Max Wilco posted:

If only! I love those games.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Libluini posted:

In fact, if you join on the imperial side to fight the Northern Nazi Party, the imperials sometimes drop hints that they, too are playing for time to get this rebellion put down fast and recover before the High Elves are ready for the next war.

So after carefully assessing all facts, there is no choice at all. You either fight for the Empire, or the Elves will eventually win and enslave all Humans.

Yeah it was never really a question of which side when you get the whole picture.

It's pretty easy to get the hint that the imperials aren't "collaborators" so much as it's "Hey you, stop that Talos worship cause our very good buddies the Thalmor say blablabla! *Pssst, just pipe down so we can recuperate and kill their asses*"

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I just cut the proverbial knot by refusing to get involved with the civil war at all.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

John Murdoch posted:

I just cut the proverbial knot by refusing to get involved with the civil war at all.

I mean, the cut version we got in the released product is so boring and generic you might as well.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

i am tim! posted:

The "Want to genocide humans because they believe that's all that's preventing them from ascending into ethereal spiritual beings" is a bit that's largely extrapolated from a forum post made by Michael Kirkbride, who used to be a main writer for Bethesda back in the Morrowind days but left, though he still does some contract work for them with Elder Scrolls stuff. It's not surprising that people have latched onto it because the official motive behind the Thalmor's Talos persecution is given next to no explanation beyond "Men can't be Gods" and heavy Nazi coding. None of this is to say that I think that's a bad idea, either, but rather that I don't think Bethesda even thought that far ahead when they made Skyrim, they just made them Elf Nazis and somebody else had to come in and seed a more interesting idea on a forum after the fact.

All of which I find to be just a bit disappointing because I think "Hey, stop worshiping the Imperialist rear end in a top hat who dragged our country kicking and screaming into his Empire with an ancient war machine" would have been a more interesting motive and could've made for a better over all story. But then again, it's Bethesda so we get Nazi collaborators and white nationalists.

I'm in the process of getting Fallout 4 set up with mods because I wanted to do another play-through (don't ask me why I'm doing that instead of doing it with New Vegas), and so I decided to look through the wiki to read up on some of the info on the companions, factions, and whatnot.

While doing so, I was reminded what I find so disappointing about Bethesda's writing. I think that Bethesda's big problem is that they tend to hit on or bring up a lot of interesting ideas or concepts, but then they don't really expand on them. The Skyrim civil war is a good example of that, where you have the facet where the Empire is cooperating with the Thalmor only until there's an opportunity to strike back at them, but apart from a few lines, it just doesn't seem to be expanded on that much. Dropping Kirkbride, or limiting his input is probably part of that, but even in Fallout 4, there are questlines and story bits that have interesting bits to them, but they aren't really developed or elaborated on.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Max Wilco posted:

I'm in the process of getting Fallout 4 set up with mods because I wanted to do another play-through (don't ask me why I'm doing that instead of doing it with New Vegas), and so I decided to look through the wiki to read up on some of the info on the companions, factions, and whatnot.

While doing so, I was reminded what I find so disappointing about Bethesda's writing. I think that Bethesda's big problem is that they tend to hit on or bring up a lot of interesting ideas or concepts, but then they don't really expand on them. The Skyrim civil war is a good example of that, where you have the facet where the Empire is cooperating with the Thalmor only until there's an opportunity to strike back at them, but apart from a few lines, it just doesn't seem to be expanded on that much. Dropping Kirkbride, or limiting his input is probably part of that, but even in Fallout 4, there are questlines and story bits that have interesting bits to them, but they aren't really developed or elaborated on.

I think it also says a lot that Obsidian did a better job of demonstrating branching decisions and storytelling with a dark joke in a trailer than Bethesda managed with an entire game.

("You gotta pick a side, and do it NOW!!..." *BANG* "...You know you didn't have to kill one of them, right?..." :stonk:)

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

Antwerp Origins

Coming Summer 2019

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Dragon Slayer/Xanadu/Legend of Heroes/Sorcerian/Legacy of the Wizard/etc

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Holy poo poo I never realized Legacy of the Wizard was a Falcom game. gently caress that game was hard. I don't think I ever beat it or knew where to go and to this day I'm still not sure how to use the drat glove to move blocks.

...they should make more of those games with modern amenities. Actually, would it be a metroidvania in today's parlance?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

super sweet best pal posted:

Dragon Slayer/Xanadu/Legend of Heroes/Sorcerian/Legacy of the Wizard/etc

Faxanadu! :haw:

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

sexpig by night posted:

yea it's a genuinely really neat video to illustrate the holes and patches your memory can make. A kinda sweet if a bit creepy harmless kid's fairy tale short became 'a horrible clock monster tormented a child for no reason' over time.

I'm glad this short about being crushed to death by your own hand in an egg that Nickelodeon used to play years ago is easily available to find so I could confirm it was exactly how I remembered it. Dude was crushed to death in an egg by his own hand...I think?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Honestly one of my favorite NES games, though it took me forever to find out that it was from a huge series.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I'm glad this short about being crushed to death by your own hand in an egg that Nickelodeon used to play years ago is easily available to find so I could confirm it was exactly how I remembered it. Dude was crushed to death in an egg by his own hand...I think?

Cyclical horror stories are always great, and probably the closest thing I can imagine to what a literal hell would be like. I recall Emily Carroll did one I like a lot, but I think it only shows up in her art book so I can't link to it.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 30, 2018

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

GrandpaPants posted:

Holy poo poo I never realized Legacy of the Wizard was a Falcom game. gently caress that game was hard. I don't think I ever beat it or knew where to go and to this day I'm still not sure how to use the drat glove to move blocks.

...they should make more of those games with modern amenities. Actually, would it be a metroidvania in today's parlance?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/612140/Weebish_Mines/

And I think https://store.steampowered.com/app/549260/Alwas_Awakening/ strays that way too.

Yeah they're basically puzzle-oriented Metroidvanias I'd say.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36Jc9z-b-Hw

Inside the Score challenges the notion that John Williams is a plagiarist and a thief.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36Jc9z-b-Hw

Inside the Score challenges the notion that John Williams is a plagiarist and a thief.

:five:

You have no idea how much I've heard this accusation, and it makes my eyes roll out of my head every time.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I thought that myth had been slapped down ages ago honestly, it's so absurd and based in just nothing but vague 'well it FEELS like he stole this, right?'.

Solid video on it, though, good watch.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I've been catching up on hbomberguy's backlog as I'm relatively new and just got to his SLA on Ctrl+Alt+Del.

:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Kyle Kallgren's video on Penn and Teller's PBS show is up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5yrWCuLS5k