Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
would do well with a more
humanoid model, myself
Like countless generations before you, you grew up in the shadow of the Great Tower. The central pillar of your world and the meeting place of the gods. The resting place of the infinitely powerful World-Stone. If you looked to the sky you could sometimes even see in the clouds the subtle pull of the ley lines leading to the Great Tower from the dozen divine temples at the Ends of the World. You came to adulthood in this vibrant world and you found your calling. You had other skills, of course, but you had one above all that you found both the raw ability and the chance to persevere in. Then one day the World shuddered and you felt a great and terrible wrongness...and then you found yourself trapped in a small space.

Wherever you were, whatever you were doing, the Wizard now had you. Stuck in the tube of metal and glass you could see others trapped along with you. Some pounded, some threatened, a few apprised their situation. The Wizard seemed young then. He was grinning and clasped his hands together as if celebrating a victory. “Greetings, Paragons! I have saved you! Do not worry, I know you must be startled but I will explain all in time. You will be preserved while I make further preparations.”

There were flashes as time went on with the Wizard seeming ever older. Stacks of papers and stone and knotted strings changing every time you were aware of things. The Wizard grumbled when you all awoke and fiddled with his arcane equipment. The Wizard once addressed you directly, looking weary and middle-aged. “Ahoy there Paragon. I...apologize for the delays. The world has moved on, it seems. I have found the means to make you a powerful magical item. I just need to know what you could use best.”

Finally, today, the Wizard appears before you. He now appears as an old man. His papers fly around him as he channels arcane power. “Paragons, I have done all I can. I will explain as much as I can before I send you off.”

“In the moment you were taken the Great Tower had begun to fall. I reached back through time and the sundering of the World-Stone to save you all. You all possess an unkindled spark of the Divines. Be it from ancestry or some quirk of the soul I cannot say, but you have the ability to become more and pull this world back from this slow death. You will not require food and water, nor as much rest as you were when mortal. You will also have your items and some mana for magic-”

The room shook and you heard rough, guttural shouts behind the door. The wizard cursed.

“There are seven shards of the World-Stone. The Temples of the Gods are intact at the Ends of the World. Mages have taken up in Towers tethering the Ley-Lines.” There was banging on the door. “Two Ley-Lines will be loosed soon. The Wastes are the most desolate place yet terrible hordes survive there and threaten all. None of my servants have returned from attempts to survey the very center. I assume they were captured and revealed my location. This Mega-Horde dwarfs any I have seen so far.” There was a twinkle in his eye as the door splintered. “So at least I may buy you some time to get started before another is gathered.”

There was a flash and you had a sensation of being flung.

TL;DR: You are a Paragon. You could be a god. The paradise-like old world is gone. In its place is a grimcrap wasteland. An almost literal sandbox.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, a smallgods game where you can grow in power from Mortal+ to demigod and probably full god eventually. Behind the scenes this will be PDQ with extra stuff to start but turn entirely into a point-based homebrew at some future point once your Mortal Days are far behind you.

Keep in mind scarcity will be a theme.

Application Template posted:

Name: (Herc Ules)

Picture: [timg][/timg]

Backstory: (Just something to develop your character, no need to make it too long or overdeveloped)

Paragon ability/skill(+6 Quality):

Secondary ability/skill(+4 Quality):

Tertiary ability/skill(+2 Quality):

What did you tell the Wizard when asked about making a magical item: (Show some flair or get down to business.)

What do you want/expect out of this game: (Have a great time for like 3-5 months and then have it die like every other godgame ever)

Edit 1: Any mortal race is fine, but you might be the last of 'em.

Edit 2: Discord is for chat and stuff. I should include a link to that. Derp.
https://discord.gg/BgdZpWR

JamezBfod fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

quote:

Name: Caranos ('the Scholar')

Picture:

Backstory: Caranos grew up as one of the younger children in a family of upcoming merchant-aristocrats in the Republic of Niraddin. Mostly unrecognized by his parents until the age of 12 when they had a mage analyze him for special talents (as is standard in such noble families to find those with unusual talents at the right age to be educated on them) and said mage found that Caranos had a spark of something special in him. It was a bit iffy in its nature, but the mage believed it to be related to the boy having potentially powerful magic. Overjoyed that they could potentially add arcane might to the family repertoire, Caranos' parents practically bought their son's way into one of Madaran's finest arcane academies. Of course the spark, as we know now, was meant for great things - but not magic. This lead to an awkward situation for both Caranos and the academy staff - if this got out, Caranos would have publicly embarassed his family and would be shunted to working as the most minor and inconsequential of bank functionaries in the best of cases or disowned and kicked out onto the streets at worst. The academy didn't want to acknowledge that it had made a mistake in picking an individual without any magic at all for training, and didn't want the inevitable financial/political backlash from Caranos' family that would occur from kicking him out. So instead, the academy made a deal with Caranos. Magicians were mostly supposed to be restrained with their powers anyway unless called upon in Niraddin. So it wouldn't be too hard for the academy to pass off Caranos as a successful graduate, as long as he kept up his studies well enough to have the magical theory background that everyone expected of him. The environment helped Caranos better than any he'd been in so far - he no longer needed to worry about the cutthroat politics at home, and the teachers kept him safe from most direct competition at school (the other students assumed it was because the teachers were paid to protect him, which in a sense was partly true), so he was free to study to his heart's content. And indeed, the lad grew to be a paragon of knowledge not just in terms of magical theory but every topic for which he could obtain access to a book. Unfortunately, there wasn't sufficient time to develop that to its fullest before the World fell. But this does present a unique opportunity to learn - after all, there has never been a chance to analyze underlying structure of the world so thoroughly before...

Paragon ability/skill(+6 Quality): Fount of Knowledge - Despite other skills being what got Caranos in to his situation, once there his biggest asset was the ability to pick up information like a sponge, particularly with regards to magical theory. The scholar is practically a walking encyclopedia if you want to just want the pure factual details on a situation. Less good at putting theory into practice for obvious reasons.

Secondary ability/skill(+4 Quality): Playing Politics - Caranos would not have made it to where he is today if he was not good at playing to what folks want to hear. The downside is that because he's seen himself in mostly adversarial scenarios all of his life, he's not as good with diplomacy that relies on a more empathetic mindset.

Tertiary ability/skill(+2 Quality): An Eye for Value - While it isn't primarily what Caranos wanted to focus on, his love of learning applied when he was at home as well in a merchant family. This is slightly more nuanced than just pure factual knowledge and relates more to physically finding things and knowing how they're useful for people (so it's not just that bone has x properties, but 'the best use you're probably going to get out of these tiny bones is chipping them down to be used as awls and needles'). I'm gonna wait on GM approval as to whether this applies to people too or should just be limited to more concrete resources.

What did you tell the Wizard when asked about making a magical item: "I have always lived in a very sheltered world, Wizard, and I suppose that is no longer the case. Perhaps it would be useful to have something with which I could defend myself for once?"

What do you want/expect out of this game: I'd like personally to see how useful I can be as a support character, albeit a little bit of an abstractly focused one. In general, I want/expect to see a game that explores how one can engage in the creation of the new when there is so very little on which to build a foundation.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Name: Longshen Logan

Picture: tbf

Paragon ability/skill(+6 Quality): Nature guide
In the world that was I got my start as what you might call a ranger. Spent my youth hunting and running over the hills and valleys until I knew them like the back of my hand. As I got older, I started leading those that had money to see the same sights and animals that had captured my heart. Don't know how much this new world is like the old one, but I reckon the bones of the world are still similar enough that I can find my way, even if the skin has changed. If my old instincts lead me into trouble, well, I've still got my bow and my hatchet.

Secondary ability/skill(+4 Quality): Life guide
After awhile, I made a name for myself leading folks out into nature and bringing them back safe. Folks started coming to me looking for advice. First it was just on how to hunt or locate wild animals, but before too long they were asking about how to deal with all kinds of problems. Got so bad I had to move further and further away from towns just to get some peace and quiet, but even that didn't dissuade everyone. After I moved way back up into the mountains the folks who made the trek were asking me how to live a good life, or how to be successful. A lot of folks didn't survive the trip though and I still didn't have any quiet so I moved into the biggest city I could find and hired a couple folks to manage my querents instead. Less folks died, I helped more folks, and at least nobody stumbled over me while I was sleeping like they did when I lived in a mountain cave anymore. Win-win-win. A lot of folks got their start from introductions I made or owe their success to my advice. Or at least they did, I reckon a few of them are still around, and if they aren't there's plenty of folks around here who could use some good, common sense advice.

Tertiary ability/skill(+2 Quality): Spirit guide
Everyone needs someone to help when things get bad. Even someone who gives advice for a living like me needs someone to keep them on the straight and narrow. The fella I turn to is named Anansesem. He's my spirit guide, or mebbe my spirit spider. You may not be able to see him, most folks can't, but he can sure see you. Not only can he see you; Anansesem can see further into a stone block than most any other fellow I've ever met. I reckon its not wise to make a fellow like that mad, specially not when he's got venom in his mandibles.

What did you tell the Wizard when asked about making a magical item: I told him "I reckon I can find most anything I need on my own. Only thing I couldn't ever learn how to find was solitude. Tell you what, you want to help me? You find me a way I can get some dang peace and quiet. Mebbe clothes that change to suit what I need most would do the trick. Something that could help me stand out when I need to, blend in when I need to, and turn aside the claws of a bear would be very fine indeed."

What do you want/expect out of this game: (Have a great time for like 3-5 months and then have it die like every other godgame ever)

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Interesssssst post

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Name: Aeson

Picture:

Backstory: The eldest son of a large but poor family, Aeson scrounged up enough money from doing odd jobs and favors to attend a school that taught medicine and anatomy. Aeson took to it like a fish to water, and found himself managing to help his family with his job as an apothecary, healing the sick and helping the hurt. When the world broke, Aeson decided that instead of waiting for people to come to him, he'd go to people.

Paragon ability/skill(+6 Quality): Healer
Aeson has great knowledge of disease and injury, and often has a good cure for them right up his sleeve-or at the very least, he knows how to make it. He's also good with bedside manner and first aid.

Secondary ability/skill(+4 Quality): Alchemist
Even the most potent of ordinary medicines can sometimes not be enough, and so, Aeson dabbled in the smallest bit of magic that a non-magically skilled person could do-alchemy. He's not the greatest at it, but he can tap into a little of it to make some really strong stuff-mostly potions that can restore some more mystical stuff, like stamina or mana, or fix mental problems, but more than once he's made a blazing draft to fight off some animals while picking up a rare ingredient in an inhabited cave.

Tertiary ability/skill(+2 Quality): Friend
Aeson believes that an apothecary should not only care for a person's body, but also their mind and soul. Aeson is kind, patient, and sweet to people he's treating, needs a favor from, and cares about how they're doing, even when they're cured.

What did you tell the Wizard when asked about making a magical item: "Mr. Wizard, sir, I don't need much. My satchel got good notes on how to treat disease, and how to identify stuff, and everything I'd need to help people I can scrounge up or already have. So... something to give me speed, to help those in need when they need it, would be just fine with me."

What do you want/expect out of this game: Helping people in need!

Junpei fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 28, 2018

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Edit 1: Any mortal race is fine, but you might be the last of 'em.

Edit 2: Discord is for chat and stuff. I should include a link to that. Derp.
https://discord.gg/BgdZpWR

A quality first submission. You certainly have an eye for the value of people, your family could not have maintained status if they didn't have the right people working for them after all.

Once during your Arcane training, due to desperation over your inability to channel it on your own, you were granted a rare stone that granted its bearer with a pool of mana to use. What happened when you attempted to cast with it?

LLSix posted:

Name: Longshen Logan

Picture: tbf

Paragon ability/skill(+6 Quality): Nature guide
In the world that was I got my start as what you might call a ranger. Spent my youth hunting and running over the hills and valleys until I knew them like the back of my hand. As I got older, I started leading those that had money to see the same sights and animals that had captured my heart. Don't know how much this new world is like the old one, but I reckon the bones of the world are still similar enough that I can find my way, even if the skin has changed. If my old instincts lead me into trouble, well, I've still got my bow and my hatchet.

Secondary ability/skill(+4 Quality): Life guide
After awhile, I made a name for myself leading folks out into nature and bringing them back safe. Folks started coming to me looking for advice. First it was just on how to hunt or locate wild animals, but before too long they were asking about how to deal with all kinds of problems. Got so bad I had to move further and further away from towns just to get some peace and quiet, but even that didn't dissuade everyone. After I moved way back up into the mountains the folks who made the trek were asking me how to live a good life, or how to be successful. A lot of folks didn't survive the trip though and I still didn't have any quiet so I moved into the biggest city I could find and hired a couple folks to manage my querents instead. Less folks died, I helped more folks, and at least nobody stumbled over me while I was sleeping like they did when I lived in a mountain cave anymore. Win-win-win. A lot of folks got their start from introductions I made or owe their success to my advice. Or at least they did, I reckon a few of them are still around, and if they aren't there's plenty of folks around here who could use some good, common sense advice.

Tertiary ability/skill(+2 Quality): Spirit guide
Everyone needs someone to help when things get bad. Even someone who gives advice for a living like me needs someone to keep them on the straight and narrow. The fella I turn to is named Anansesem. He's my spirit guide, or mebbe my spirit spider. You may not be able to see him, most folks can't, but he can sure see you. Not only can he see you; Anansesem can see further into a stone block than most any other fellow I've ever met. I reckon its not wise to make a fellow like that mad, specially not when he's got venom in his mandibles.

What did you tell the Wizard when asked about making a magical item: I told him "I reckon I can find most anything I need on my own. Only thing I couldn't ever learn how to find was solitude. Tell you what, you want to help me? You find me a way I can get some dang peace and quiet. Mebbe clothes that change to suit what I need most would do the trick. Something that could help me stand out when I need to, blend in when I need to, and turn aside the claws of a bear would be very fine indeed."

Good, though I'm not totally clear on Spirit guide. What does Anansesem do and how did you two first meet?

Junpei posted:

Name: Aeson

Picture:

Backstory: The eldest son of a large but poor family, Aeson scrounged up enough money from doing odd jobs and favors to attend a school that taught medicine and anatomy. Aeson took to it like a fish to water, and found himself managing to help his family with his job as an apothecary, healing the sick and helping the hurt. When the world broke, Aeson decided that instead of waiting for people to come to him, he'd go to people.

Paragon ability/skill(+6 Quality): Healer
Aeson has great knowledge of disease and injury, and often has a good cure for them right up his sleeve-or at the very least, he knows how to make it. He's also good with bedside manner and first aid.

Secondary ability/skill(+4 Quality): Medicine Man
Aeson says that "herbs, fruits, and a bit of venom are a doctor's best friend". Given he knows what a person is hurting from, he can hunt down (or already has) the right ingredients to whip up a potion, powder, or salve to help.

Tertiary ability/skill(+2 Quality): Friend
Aeson believes that an apothecary should not only care for a person's body, but also their mind and soul. Aeson is kind, patient, and sweet to people he's treating, needs a favor from, and cares about how they're doing, even when they're cured.

What did you tell the Wizard when asked about making a magical item: "Mr. Wizard, sir, I don't need much. My satchel got good notes on how to treat disease, and how to identify stuff, and everything I'd need to help people I can scrounge up or already have. So... something to give me speed, to help those in need when they need it, would be just fine with me."

What do you want/expect out of this game: Helping people in need!

I like it but Healer and Medicine Man have a bit too much overlap. Perhaps medicine man should be something more like Alchemy or Natural Remedies or ???.

On more than one occasion you have realized that a patient was beyond your ability to help. How did you deal with the situations?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

JamezBfod posted:

Once during your Arcane training, due to desperation over your inability to channel it on your own, you were granted a rare stone that granted its bearer with a pool of mana to use. What happened when you attempted to cast with it?

"I will admit, I was excited by the possibility of being able to cast magic. Even with the worry that this might have caused the Academy's headmasters to withdraw their protection from me, there was still some ineffable joy behind the possibility of being able to use even the most minor of spells. So I grasped the stone tightly within my hand, focusing intently on the intricate natural pathways of mana flow within the stone as I closed my fingers in a fist around the battery. I muttered the formula for a basic light spell over and over again, pronouncing each syllable with care, to make sure there was nothing out of place, before turning my focus towards the mana pool in the center of the rock and activating the spell.

The mana flowed outwards from the stone, as expected, but the instant it tried to enter my body it stopped as though blocked, returning to the center of the stone. My hypothesis since then has been that mana was never the problem, there has simply been some quirk of the body that has prevented me from being able to express it as magic. If what the Wizard said is true, that probably relates to the spark of the Divines, although whether it is because it comes from a divinity that was virulently anti-magical, magical enough that even the spark viewed mortal magic as an affront to its power, or some other reason remains untested."

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

JamezBfod posted:

On more than one occasion you have realized that a patient was beyond your ability to help. How did you deal with the situations?

"Finding that out is always the hardest part, knowin' that I can't do nothin' bout them... so, I do my best. I double check everything, just in case. And if I truly can't cure or fix it, I try to give them a workaround if it isn't lethal-a leg that won't heal, I'll find a cane. But if they have to die... I know a special brew, "Eternal Sleep". It gives peaceful death, and I offer it, if they want. No sufferin', no pain. I always hate having to make and give it... but it's the best I can do, makin' sure they pass on their own terms, with no pain."

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled
The Overseer - Last of the Starborn

Backstory:

The cosmos was large and the Overseer, the last of his race had been exploring this tiny corner as his people had for a very long time. The majority of places were lifeless, such as the rings of Andar prime and the gaseous nebula of the lunar whale graveyard. Few habitable spheres were here but he liked it this way.

Indeed, his life was very lonely. He had awoken on one of the many worldships after hypersleep to find his people gone. The workings of the great ship not even touched for untold eons. He read the files of the jammers and the ships as well as the knowledge banks. It had kept his interest for a time. They had been explorers once, then knowledge seekers, and then once they had reached a certain point in their development ego and power made them bored. They soon began to play at being gods and eventually had played games with the worlds and peoples they encountered. Of course this decadence was opposed, which made the players even more engaged and his people had destroyed themselves. An injury had seen him set to slumber to heal, but a rival faction had manipulated another newly found race into attacking the once mighty worldship. They plundered it of course leaving many parts and pieces around. It took quite some time in the quiet for a whole ship to be recreated as well as salvaging all of the pieces. The contemplative time spent was almost purifying. No answers from anywhere else in the universe were met from his magical repeating emergency transmissions.

Truely alone then. Casting off his name for it was irrelevant now, The Overseer entered his ship with the Duex Ex Machina and the last relics of his dying race. His stardrive would burn until the ends of the universe, the sole pilot and explorer of the once proud people. Last of the starborn he would encounter worlds and peoples and touch each one's destinies in turn. The last gift from a dying race to the cosmos...

It wasn't until he found himself entering a new world sphere that a wizard of unshakable power took him. Like a sample of alien life or the races he interacted with, The Overseer found himself on the receiving end of the treatment his ancestors and people had visited on so many others. The irony was not lost on him. And so he watched, slept, awoke, and waited. He had done so before and would once again live once more.

• Paragon ability::

• Magitech [+6] - There we go, the technology and the making of it. I'm simplifying it. Other people get "magic" or technology so advanced its similar without all the extra explaining. Shortened apps are good. Right?

• Secondary ability/skill:

• Universal Loremaster [+4] - The starborn were masters of many things. The known and unknown sought out to the ends of the stars and beyond. The knowledge of things as well as the ability to figure them out. The flavor is having the knowledge to do things or investigate things.

• Tertiary ability/skill:
      • Sole Survivor [+2]

• What did you tell the Wizard when asked about making a magical item:

• "I require the Dues Ex Machina from my ship. I do not belong here. It is the key to surviving in this world. With it I can create a paradise, and balance this doomed world. If I must become a part of this place, I need it to survive." The Dues Ex Machina can literally move people and things to and from places. While limited in scope without being powered by the Overseer's stardrive from his ship, it is still a potent tool.

• What do you want/expect out of this game:

• Doing things, lots of things. Interacting with the world and its people and especially inspiring things to happen.

edit: I added some more description as some have come to some odd conclusions about these abilities. :hurr: They are mortal level and not making something out of "nothing". A knowledge check is a knowledge check, making something is making something. It's not hard. I will edit in Jamez's actual feedback which is my paragon ability is kind of not an ability.

edit2: done.

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 29, 2018

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

JamezBfod posted:

Good, though I'm not totally clear on Spirit guide. What does Anansesem do and how did you two first meet?

Anansesem

Anansesemis a spider spirit guide and he does the things a spider spirit can.
The easiest description is probably a tiny Loki with 8 legs. He's small enough to fit in the palm of your hand or a shoulder, his usual perch. He makes, sometimes helpful, wise cracks and gives mostly excitingly dangerous advice. Plus he's a spider so I guess he can spin webs and poison people by biting them. As a spirit animal he provides a hook for ghost and personal growth stories. Narratively he's supposed to be basically a pet dog but way cooler. Mechanically, as a +2 his helpful advice should be limited to things spiders are traditionally associated with: tricks, traps, cleverness and small animals as well as providing a slight boost in combat situations where he can reasonably get close enough to bite somebody or trip them with his webs.

How we met is a good yarn, right enough; Anansesem tells it better than I do, but I reckon you can't hear him so you'll have to settle for listening to my rusty old voice. This was back when I was still a youngin' you understand. One night one of our chickens didn't come home. Pa reckoned a fox got it, but he still sent me out to find the kill site. Only I couldn't. I got to asking around, and it turned out everyone in the village had lost one chicken. Just one mind you. Not 2 or 3, just the one, and only one from each family and only one every eight days. This had been going on for months. Well, the Murdoch family had lost the first chicken, and not a family in the village hadn't lost a chicken yet, so I started following their chickens around every day. The chickens scattered into the forest every morning so I couldn't keep tabs on all of them at once, but I could kind of almost do it by running from one chicken to where I'd last seen the others and following their trail. I met Anansesem on the seventh day at the end of one of the chicken trails. He'd tricked the chicken into letting him onto its back and was just getting ready to poison the stupid bird with his mandibles when I got there. He must have been clever enough to see that threatenin' me wouldn't work 'cause he didn't even try it even though I hadn't half the height I do know; he just brought his mandibles closer to the bird every time I tried to get close. I tried everything I could think of to trick him but nothing worked. Finally I challenged him to a game of riddles, with two more chickens as his prize if he won. Well, we traded riddles back and forth all through that day, that night, and on through the night after that. On the third day I finally thought up a riddle he couldn't answer and won that chicken back. He's been with me ever since. Reckon I've fed him more than a thousand chickens over our years together; so you might could say he won after all.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

LLSix posted:

Anansesem

Anansesemis a spider spirit guide and he does the things a spider spirit can.
The easiest description is probably a tiny Loki with 8 legs. He's small enough to fit in the palm of your hand or a shoulder, his usual perch. He makes, sometimes helpful, wise cracks and gives mostly excitingly dangerous advice. Plus he's a spider so I guess he can spin webs and poison people by biting them. As a spirit animal he provides a hook for ghost and personal growth stories. Narratively he's supposed to be basically a pet dog but way cooler. Mechanically, as a +2 his helpful advice should be limited to things spiders are traditionally associated with: tricks, traps, cleverness and small animals as well as providing a slight boost in combat situations where he can reasonably get close enough to bite somebody or trip them with his webs.

How we met is a good yarn, right enough; Anansesem tells it better than I do, but I reckon you can't hear him so you'll have to settle for listening to my rusty old voice. This was back when I was still a youngin' you understand. One night one of our chickens didn't come home. Pa reckoned a fox got it, but he still sent me out to find the kill site. Only I couldn't. I got to asking around, and it turned out everyone in the village had lost one chicken. Just one mind you. Not 2 or 3, just the one, and only one from each family and only one every eight days. This had been going on for months. Well, the Murdoch family had lost the first chicken, and not a family in the village hadn't lost a chicken yet, so I started following their chickens around every day. The chickens scattered into the forest every morning so I couldn't keep tabs on all of them at once, but I could kind of almost do it by running from one chicken to where I'd last seen the others and following their trail. I met Anansesem on the seventh day at the end of one of the chicken trails. He'd tricked the chicken into letting him onto its back and was just getting ready to poison the stupid bird with his mandibles when I got there. He must have been clever enough to see that threatenin' me wouldn't work 'cause he didn't even try it even though I hadn't half the height I do know; he just brought his mandibles closer to the bird every time I tried to get close. I tried everything I could think of to trick him but nothing worked. Finally I challenged him to a game of riddles, with two more chickens as his prize if he won. Well, we traded riddles back and forth all through that day, that night, and on through the night after that. On the third day I finally thought up a riddle he couldn't answer and won that chicken back. He's been with me ever since. Reckon I've fed him more than a thousand chickens over our years together; so you might could say he won after all.

wow

WOW

The gall :v:

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
Name: Voices in Stone

Picture:

Backstory: Voices in Stone has no name or lineage. He was given over to the elemental masters of the Imperial Court of Rin at birth. His geomantic abilities flourished under their harsh teachings and he soon became the youngest to take the title Voices in Stone. It was he who quelled the volcano at Madrat.

Paragon ability/skill(+6 Quality): Geomancy- A study of the flow of power through earth, geomancy is a mostly quiet art. It supports many endeavors, mapping loci of power and patterns of accumulation. It may be used to place buildings in places with auras aligned to their purposes or place charms to ward off misfortune. It is an excellent discipline for gathering mana. When a geomantic master does act directly it is like the shifting of a pebble that sets off an avalanche.

Secondary ability/skill(+4 Quality): Shamanism- Shamanism is the art of asking nicely. Through ritual and mind altering substances shamans can see and communicate with the animistic forces of nature. Through favors and barter they may enjoin these mystical entities to aid them.

Tertiary ability/skill(+2 Quality): Prophecy- The gift of prophecy is a flickering candle. Erratic and obscure it is hard to leverage meaningfully. The flashes of prophecy are often not understood by those they are delivered to until after the fact.

What did you tell the Wizard when asked about making a magical item: "We are a helpless pearl in this new dark. There is no shame in admitting truth. Gift us eightfold walls to protect our Voice and eightfold spears to guard our Knowledge."

What do you want/expect out of this game: Doing stuff and making stuff and knowing stuff.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Name: Alder Wrinright

Picture:

Backstory: “Three divisions are being deployed to the Roaj Valley, I need routes, schedules, and requisitions completed by morning.” The general dropped the order on Alder’s desk, and before the man could even respond he was gone. Alder looked down and sighed, he would be up all night working on this. It had always been this way. Beneath the notice of his betters, the great and mighty. He was the one that kept their armies moving and fed, but the nobles and their officers barely even acknowledged his existence. Alder sighed, he knew he wouldn’t do a drat thing about it, and he bet they knew it to. He supposed he better get started. He got up to go procure the maps and reports he would need, and in an instant he was elsewhere.

Those were the last moments prior to the Fall for Alder Wrinright, Clerk 1st Class in the Burtinian Army. He had lived a life drawing without much notice or acclaim. His skill in his work was unparalleled, but it was quiet, unflashy work, not the sort that won honors or medals. It wasn’t helped by the fact that Alder had basically given up on standing out or really having dreams of his own. Once he had wanted to be like the conquering kings in the histories he’d read, to be wealthy, live in a palace attended to by servants, have his name revered and feared. However, that he was a nobody of no real importance had been beaten into him so hard by his life that he’d come to accept it.

The Fall and the wizard thus came as something of a revelation to him. First there was the shock of the news that the world before had fallen, topped off with this powerful figure not only telling him he was special and important, but that he could become a god. All those old half-forgotten dreams and ambitions flared back to life. In that tube he realized just how pathetic he had been, how much he’d quietly accepted, how he had defeated himself before the world came in and finished the job. It was searing, painful, but it was also a rebirth. He had been given a second chance at life, one he swore would be different. He wouldn’t let anything hold him back from seizing everything he had ever wanted, not the world and certainly not himself.

Paragon ability/skill(+6 Quality): Logistics - Alder was for many years a clerk to the provincial army. He was in charge of making sure the various troops had the proper supplies and equipment, an underappreciated task at which he proved a maestro. He can keep and army fed and clothed for a fraction of the supplies it might normally take through efficient allocation and streamlined supply-lines.

Secondary ability/skill(+4 Quality): Book-smart - Alder is rather widely read. Mathematics, natural philosophy, history, agriculture, architecture he’s got a firm theoretical understanding of it all. When he’s not buried in paper in his job, he’s buried in paper at home. He had quite a collection of obscure monographs and treatises before the fall, those are all gone now, but most of it still lives on inside his head. Of course, he is a bit light on practical experience in all those fields, but surely there can’t be that much difference between having a firm theoretical understanding of something like an irrigation and the experience of having built one, can there?

Tertiary ability/skill(+2 Quality): Unassuming - Alder isn’t much to look at. Scrawny and beaten down, people ignoring him until they need something from him is the story of his life. It also means he’s easy to underestimate, as hardly anyone would take him seriously as a threat or an opponent or really anything.

What did you tell the Wizard when asked about making a magical item: When he awoke again to the Wizard’s questions, he blurted out his true desire, not letting shame or embarrassment keep him quiet. “I want something, anything, that’ll make powerful warriors bow and scrape and beg to serve under my banner, that’ll make kings and influential men tremble at the thought of earning my ire. Please, I don’t care how you do it, I may have knowledge, but what I want, what I need is power! The power to make me a king, an emperor, a god! Power that will let me grab the life I’ve always dreamed of and desired!”

What do you want/expect out of this game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SBw6nVvJSo

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Name: Tvar

Picture:

Backstory:
Tvar has little knowledge of his origin or birth - only faint genetic memories of rustling hives, roaring winds, and fearsome predators hidden in the earth. From his first molting, he was taught to fight in the bloodpits of K'vaan, a slave to creatures both harder and softer than he. Yet in this alien world he prospered, reflecting on the suffering and pain surrounding him as a still pond reflects the leaves above. With his oddly detached nature and obvious physical advantages, he proved the greatest of the gladiators in that terrible place and eventually won his freedom. He had only begun to plumb the depths of the outside world before it all came crashing down and he found himself mounted in the collection of the ultimate entomologist.

Weaponmaster - Tvar is a gladiator of unsurpassed skill, able to utilize up to four weapons at a time with grace and power. Raised in the heat of the underforges, he has expertise in the creation and maintenance of all tools of war.

Navigator - Prior to the undoing of the world, Tvar had only just tasted the winds of freedom, and had begun to sail the thermals across oceans, following a compass found only in his deepest memories. He is a natural, inveterate explorer, and yearns to see the unseen sight and walk the untraveled path.

Toxicant - Tvar's mandibles produce a terrifying array of poisons on command, and he is an expert at applying these to both his tools and his enemies. Accordingly, he is also well-versed in the antidotes, poisons, and illnesses of the natural world, and how they are most effectively employed or countered.

What did you tell the Wizard when asked about making a magical item:
Tvar thought, and blinked, and slowly waved his antennae to unseen winds. After much deliberation, he spoke. "Goggles," was all that he said, and he wondered if that was too much.

What do you want/expect out of this game:
To explore new lands and find Tvar's family!

a fatguy baldspot fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 29, 2018

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Zhin-299

As told from the collective databanks of the Terraformers, a story considered equal to religious script among them:

The beings that had made us sent us out into the deep night, and we drifted to find new worlds. Many of us settled, soon, only a group of us had managed to reach the farthest points known to our creators. The last few, and our guideship, were destroyed after passing through an anomaly to a separate universe; we were ambushed by unknown hostiles, and the last 3 of us had landed upon this world, under the shadow of the World Tower.

This new world was teeming with life, joyous in splendor, and we were without purpose. Soon, the Divine had blessed us with their presence, and bid us to wait. They revealed they had sent word to our creators, a spark across time, and placed within us. We shut off, and waited for our mission to begin.

Something went wrong, and when the wizard had awoken me, I could not sense the others. It was upon me alone to fulfill the objectives, to recreate Gaia in our creator's vision.

Gargantuan +6 - Zhin is massive, meant to move countryside and mountain, to dig rivers and mines as necessary to encourage the root of life to take.

Terraforming Robot +4 - More to the point, Zhin has many compartments and functions to fulfill his mission, between carrying the waters of life and various seeders, mosses, and other elements needed.

Energy Source +2 - Zhin's core is a self moderating nuclear reaction that when needed can fulfill power needs as a central base, or in moments of defense can act as a combat mitigating effect.

What did you tell the Wizard when asked about making a magical item: Zhin asked for the seed to the World Tree, a tree prophecized by the many writings of the creators within his shell; it was considered the ultimate goal for their terraforming efforts.

What do you want/expect out of this game: I want to be a robot gardener and to step on things trying to eat the tomatoes (unless eating the tomatoes fulfills the mission).

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

I am Communist posted:

The Overseer - Last of the Starborn

Backstory:

The cosmos was large and the Overseer, the last of his race had been exploring this tiny corner as his people had for a very long time. The majority of places were lifeless, such as the rings of Andar prime and the gaseous nebula of the lunar whale graveyard. Few habitable spheres were here but he liked it this way.

Indeed, his life was very lonely. He had awoken on one of the many worldships after hypersleep to find his people gone. The workings of the great ship not even touched for untold eons. He read the files of the jammers and the ships as well as the knowledge banks. It had kept his interest for a time. They had been explorers once, then knowledge seekers, and then once they had reached a certain point in their development ego and power made them bored. They soon began to play at being gods and eventually had played games with the worlds and peoples they encountered. Of course this decadence was opposed, which made the players even more engaged and his people had destroyed themselves. An injury had seen him set to slumber to heal, but a rival faction had manipulated another newly found race into attacking the once mighty worldship. They plundered it of course leaving many parts and pieces around. It took quite some time in the quiet for a whole ship to be recreated as well as salvaging all of the pieces. The contemplative time spent was almost purifying. No answers from anywhere else in the universe were met from his magical repeating emergency transmissions.

Truely alone then. Casting off his name for it was irrelevant now, The Overseer entered his ship with the Duex Ex Machina and the last relics of his dying race. His stardrive would burn until the ends of the universe, the sole pilot and explorer of the once proud people. Last of the starborn he would encounter worlds and peoples and touch each one's destinies in turn. The last gift from a dying race to the cosmos...

It wasn't until he found himself entering a new world sphere that a wizard of unshakable power took him. Like a sample of alien life or the races he interacted with, The Overseer found himself on the receiving end of the treatment his ancestors and people had visited on so many others. The irony was not lost on him. And so he watched, slept, awoke, and waited. He had done so before and would once again live once more.

• Paragon ability::

• Magitech [+6] - There we go, the technology and the making of it. I'm simplifying it. Other people get "magic" or technology so advanced its similar without all the extra explaining. Shortened apps are good. Right?

• Secondary ability/skill:

• Universal Loremaster [+4] - The starborn were masters of many things. The known and unknown sought out to the ends of the stars and beyond. The knowledge of things as well as the ability to figure them out. The flavor is having the knowledge to do things or investigate things.

• Tertiary ability/skill:
      • Sole Survivor [+2]

• What did you tell the Wizard when asked about making a magical item:

• "I require the Dues Ex Machina from my ship. I do not belong here. It is the key to surviving in this world. With it I can create a paradise, and balance this doomed world. If I must become a part of this place, I need it to survive." The Dues Ex Machina can literally move people and things to and from places. While limited in scope without being powered by the Overseer's stardrive from his ship, it is still a potent tool.

• What do you want/expect out of this game:

• Doing things, lots of things. Interacting with the world and its people and especially inspiring things to happen.

edit: I added some more description as some have come to some odd conclusions about these abilities. :hurr: They are mortal level and not making something out of "nothing". A knowledge check is a knowledge check, making something is making something. It's not hard. I will edit in Jamez's actual feedback which is my paragon ability is kind of not an ability.

We have already quibbled enough semantics. Whether Survivor turns out to be a sheer tenacity of will, always finds a way, or some sort of dumb luck I'll take it.

They're all dead, Dave.

Did the Overseer partake in these power-tripping games or was he part of the resistance?

Not Alex posted:

Name: Voices in Stone

Picture:

Backstory: Voices in Stone has no name or lineage. He was given over to the elemental masters of the Imperial Court of Rin at birth. His geomantic abilities flourished under their harsh teachings and he soon became the youngest to take the title Voices in Stone. It was he who quelled the volcano at Madrat.

Paragon ability/skill(+6 Quality): Geomancy- A study of the flow of power through earth, geomancy is a mostly quiet art. It supports many endeavors, mapping loci of power and patterns of accumulation. It may be used to place buildings in places with auras aligned to their purposes or place charms to ward off misfortune. It is an excellent discipline for gathering mana. When a geomantic master does act directly it is like the shifting of a pebble that sets off an avalanche.

Secondary ability/skill(+4 Quality): Shamanism- Shamanism is the art of asking nicely. Through ritual and mind altering substances shamans can see and communicate with the animistic forces of nature. Through favors and barter they may enjoin these mystical entities to aid them.

Tertiary ability/skill(+2 Quality): Prophecy- The gift of prophecy is a flickering candle. Erratic and obscure it is hard to leverage meaningfully. The flashes of prophecy are often not understood by those they are delivered to until after the fact.

What did you tell the Wizard when asked about making a magical item: "We are a helpless pearl in this new dark. There is no shame in admitting truth. Gift us eightfold walls to protect our Voice and eightfold spears to guard our Knowledge."

What do you want/expect out of this game: Doing stuff and making stuff and knowing stuff.

Prophecy seems a bit impractical(and difficult for me to deal with), could you justify it further for me?

Banana Man posted:

Zhin-299

As told from the collective databanks of the Terraformers, a story considered equal to religious script among them:

The beings that had made us sent us out into the deep night, and we drifted to find new worlds. Many of us settled, soon, only a group of us had managed to reach the farthest points known to our creators. The last few, and our guideship, were destroyed after passing through an anomaly to a separate universe; we were ambushed by unknown hostiles, and the last 3 of us had landed upon this world, under the shadow of the World Tower.

This new world was teeming with life, joyous in splendor, and we were without purpose. Soon, the Divine had blessed us with their presence, and bid us to wait. They revealed they had sent word to our creators, a spark across time, and placed within us. We shut off, and waited for our mission to begin.

Something went wrong, and when the wizard had awoken me, I could not sense the others. It was upon me alone to fulfill the objectives, to recreate Gaia in our creator's vision.

Gargantuan +6 - Zhin is massive, meant to move countryside and mountain, to dig rivers and mines as necessary to encourage the root of life to take.

Terraforming Robot +4 - More to the point, Zhin has many compartments and functions to fulfill his mission, between carrying the waters of life and various seeders, mosses, and other elements needed.

Energy Source +2 - Zhin's core is a self moderating nuclear reaction that when needed can fulfill power needs as a central base, or in moments of defense can act as a combat mitigating effect.

What did you tell the Wizard when asked about making a magical item: Zhin asked for the seed to the World Tree, a tree prophecized by the many writings of the creators within his shell; it was considered the ultimate goal for their terraforming efforts.

What do you want/expect out of this game: I want to be a robot gardener and to step on things trying to eat the tomatoes (unless eating the tomatoes fulfills the mission).

Largehuge as a Quality. I guess xhe is a construction-related transformer. Many other functions.

Tell me more about your creators.

Palemdromes posted:

Name: Tvar

Picture:

Backstory:
Tvar has little knowledge of his origin or birth - only faint genetic memories of rustling hives, roaring winds, and fearsome predators hidden in the earth. From his first molting, he was taught to fight in the bloodpits of K'vaan, a slave to creatures both harder and softer than he. Yet in this alien world he prospered, reflecting on the suffering and pain surrounding him as a still pond reflects the leaves above. With his oddly detached nature and obvious physical advantages, he proved the greatest of the gladiators in that terrible place and eventually won his freedom. He had only begun to plumb the depths of the outside world before it all came crashing down and he found himself mounted in the collection of the ultimate entomologist.

Weaponmaster - Tvar is a gladiator of unsurpassed skill, able to utilize up to four weapons at a time with grace and power. Raised in the heat of the underforges, he has expertise in the creation and maintenance of all tools of war.

Navigator - Prior to the undoing of the world, Tvar had only just tasted the winds of freedom, and had begun to sail the thermals across oceans, following a compass found only in his deepest memories. He is a natural, inveterate explorer, and yearns to see the unseen sight and walk the untraveled path.

Toxicant - Tvar's mandibles produce a terrifying array of poisons on command, and he is an expert at applying these to both his tools and his enemies. Accordingly, he is also well-versed in the antidotes, poisons, and illnesses of the natural world, and how they are most effectively employed or countered.

Tvar thought, and blinked, and slowly waved his antennae to unseen winds. After much deliberation, he spoke. "Goggles," was all that he said, and he wondered if that was too much.

What do you want/expect out of this game:
To explore new lands and find Tvar's family!

Yes good. What does Tvar consider to be good in life?

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled

JamezBfod posted:

We have already quibbled enough semantics. Whether Survivor turns out to be a sheer tenacity of will, always finds a way, or some sort of dumb luck I'll take it.

They're all dead, Dave.

Did the Overseer partake in these power-tripping games or was he part of the resistance?

The Overseer was part of one of the factions at the beginning of the troubles. While he was part of the resistance the differences in methods to accomplish their goals were negligible. Think vorlons vs shadows in babylon 5 with more of a spelljammer magitech feel.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

JamezBfod posted:

Largehuge as a Quality. I guess xhe is a construction-related transformer. Many other functions.

Tell me more about your creators.

Our creators were creations themselves, given the spark by those that made them. We know that there was a great war, and the great robots that were made before us, by them, were meant for destruction instead of creation. They used these to fight against their makers and to carve their freedom out of the blasted landscapes that made up their homeworld.

In time, they came to regret their cleansing; wisdom was obtained, and humility. Their bodies had carried the same organic compounds their maker's had mixed with new, and they carried a relative genetic similarity. Their humble written apologia was eventually compiled into a great religious database, and they used this gospel of shame to guide their hand to softer ends; exploration, veneration, elevation of their minds and ways.

We were programmed with the lessons of hubris in mind, and we only know them as the Creators, as they had forsaken their original name in the sorrow of the actions that they had taken against their Makers.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.

JamezBfod posted:

Prophecy seems a bit impractical(and difficult for me to deal with), could you justify it further for me?

Well the whole character started as an experiment to see how workable a seer type character could be. I would use prophecy in two ways, fortune telling for social benefit and directly.

Fortune telling would be like predicting and preventing generic ills for villagers to get on their good side. Just a straight roll with the bonus for social stuff with npcs.

Directly I figured I'd make a cryptic utterance per post. "The eagle strikes down the serpent at dusk" sort of things. Maybe find a random generator. Then when I can shoehorn the meaning of one of these pronouncements into a roll, I get the little boost and cross that one of the list.

Obviously that could get abused but hey, I'll try not to and it'll be cool if it works.

Edit: No forseeing eugenics.

Not Alex fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 30, 2018

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Not Alex posted:

Fortune telling would be like predicting and preventing genetic ills for villagers to get on their good side.

"The cards tell me you have a history of heart disease in your family."

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Mikhail Tivkinson - The Forgemaster
Race: Mountain Giant

Ever since he was young, Mikhail was good at hitting things, especially with other things. As a teenage giant he was already taller and broader than most of the adults and had accidentally killed several classmates. This pentient for hitting was noticed by the Forgemasters of his people and he found himself sent off to study at the College of Steel high up in the Rampart Mountains. There he learned how to mold metals into many forms with the Lore of Metallurgy, the combination of might and magic perfected by the giants centuries past.

Lore of Metallurgy +6: The secret art of the giants. Its blends smith and manual metalworking with runes and spells. A master of the art can shape a hunk of ore fresh from the earth into nearly anything and even give it strength beyond its type. The polished bronze armor of the giants has been known to take stones flung from catapults without a scratch.

Hitting Things +4: Mikhail is very, very good at hittings things, especially with other things. Give him a pick and a mountain and he'll give you a tunnel in a few days. Guve him a hammer and a wall and he'll have it knocked down in hours. Give him a face to punch with his fist, and he just might just fold it in half.

Big drat Giant +2: Even for a giant Mikhail is huge. He tops twenty feet while slouching and has been known to scratch his knee without bending over. His flexes can be heard for miles and his endurance is the stuff of legend. Plus he has a sweet moustache.

"Give me my forging hammer, the magic it carries could topple mountains and shatter stars!" Not really, but it is a drat nice magic hammer that can heat the metal it strikes so there is no need for a forge.

What do you want out of this game? Explore! Rebuild! Repopulate! Something something true meaning of friendship?

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 30, 2018

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Reserved for my flirtation with the Universal Mind character.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
buh

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 30, 2018

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Mikhail Tivkinson - The Forgemaster
Race: Mountain Giant

Ever since he was young, Mikhail was good at hitting things, especially with other things. As a teenage giant he was already taller and broader than most of the adults and had accidentally killed several classmates. This pentient for hitting was noticed by the Forgemasters of his people and he found himself sent off to study at the College of Steel high up in the Rampart Mountains. There he learned how to mold metals into many forms with the Lore of Metallurgy, the combination of might and magic perfected by the giants centuries past.

Lore of Metallurgy +6: The secret art of the giants. Its blends smith and manual metalworking with runes and spells. A master of the art can shape a hunk of ore fresh from the earth into nearly anything and even give it strength beyond its type. The polished bronze armor of the giants has been known to take stones flung from catapults without a scratch.

Hitting Things +4: Mikhail is very, very good at hittings things, especially with other things. Give him a pick and a mountain and he'll give you a tunnel in a few days. Guve him a hammer and a wall and he'll have it knocked down in hours. Give him a face to punch with his fist, and he just might just fold it in half.

Big drat Giant +2: Even for a giant Mikhail is huge. He tops twenty feet while slouching and has been known to scratch his knee without bending over. His flexes can be heard for miles and his endurance is the stuff of legend. Plus he has a sweet moustache.

"Give me my forging hammer, the magic it carries could topple mountains and shatter stars!" Not really, but it is a drat nice magic hammer that can heat the metal it strikes so there is no need for a forge.

What do you want out of this game? Explore! Rebuild! Repopulate! Something something true meaning of friendship?

Your spelling is atrocious but the character is clear. What does Mikhail do when he encounters a problem his size and strength cannot solve?

The very kernel of the concept was good but the execution was a series of red flags.

:siren: I'm probably going to close apps within a day or so. Also is it just me or are the apps more of a sausage fest than usual? Even with the agender robot.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Korrin Smith
Race: Human (possessed)

Backstory:
Korrin had a very troubled youth due to nightmares of a twin headed beast that would speak to him. It was neither polite nor pleasant and it gave the young boy a rather grim and determined outlook on life. When it came to taking on an apprenticeship he eschewed the family trade of smithing and took to hunting. He became skilled at the arts of tracking and catching mundane beasts, but as he grew to adulthood he began looking for a guide in the warriors arts. On his 16th birthday when he was officially an adult he wandered out and did not return for many days. Finally when he did he carried the bones and the hide of a terrible monster, which he used to fashion a set of dark armour and weapons. Yet the voice of the beast did not die with its body, it kept speaking to Korrin. Some years later when he was whisked away by the Wizard it became extremely excited by the horde and the wastes outside.

Hunter [+6]: When it comes to both the mundane and the monstrous there are few the match or exceed Korrin's skill. Honed by an unhealthy obsession and a drive not only of his own he can both track and hunt his prey, and should it be dangerous he is skilled with sword, scythe and bow to slay it.

Monster Possession [+4]: The truth is that Korrin could not truly slay the beast that haunts him. Had he been older and wiser he might have found a way, but the impetuousness of youth caused him to charge ahead. While he slew its body, the beast's spirit wormed its way into his. Now he can call upon it to empower himself to make him stronger, faster and more resilient. Does it have a cost? Probably, but Korrin has not discovered it or considered it yet.

Self Sufficient [+2]: While Korrin can provide meat and hide by hunting, his training also included things such as finding and building shelter, knowing how to identify which plants were good to eat and would help with medicine. He can also perform basic repairs on his armour, keep his weapons sharp and make his own arrows although for all of these a professional would do a much better job.

"A wizard huh..." Korrin mused and thought for a moment. "There will be a lot of dead out there. A lot of spirits who might have answers to my questions. I want a way to speak to them."

What do you want/expect out of this game: Go in to find out the secret of the wasteland and the mega horde, as well as the connection of the monster in me. Then get sidetracked by some barely related bullshit forever. Also to immediately hate Valhawk's character if we both get picked.

HiKaizer fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 1, 2019

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

JamezBfod posted:

Your spelling is atrocious but the character is clear. What does Mikhail do when he encounters a problem his size and strength cannot solve?

"The mind is a muscle as well. Flex it and work it and it becomes strong. Leave it alone and it becomes flabby and weak. My mind is as honed as the rest of my body. What was the question again?"

Basically that.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Name: Miirikaurix of the golden scale

Miirikaurix is perhaps the last of the great firedrakes to exist, though in due course she'd prefer to reverse that trend. A scholar and a master of the arcane of no small repute, her nature lent itself to the element for which her kind were named. She has studied at some of the finest arcane educational institutions around, occasionally needing a polymorph spell to fit in with her peers. Her speciality came to her early, even amongst her fellow hatchlings she came into power over flame precociously young, and it has only improved over time. In her spare time she enjoys flying through cloudless skies, hunting wild game to flash-roast, and reading, though preferably not all three conterminously. .

Fire Mastery +6: Flame obeys the dragon Paragon, dancing at her command, and she revels in it. From embers to infernoes, the smallest spark to the grandest conflagration, magical, mundane, chemical reaction or traditional element, all are at her command. Needless to say, one of those commands is 'stay away from libraries'.

Dragon +4: Being a large, scaly, flying, fire-breathing six-limbed creature has its perks.

Magical Nerd +2: Miirikaurix is no slouch in the field of arcane studies, though they pale beside her phenomenal aptitude for flame. She has a very broad knowledge base on which to fall back on, no end of magical trivia, and is quite the sorcery buff. However, she can get excessively enthusiastic when talking shop with fellow practitioners of the Art.

What did you tell the Wizard when asked about making a magical item: "Oh? I'd love a chance to study that means in person, but given our all-too-infrequent conversations, I presume that's not an option. All right, if you're asking what would suit me best in an ideal world, I'd ask for an enchanted grimoire, a codex of magic of as close to infinite capacity as is feasible, to preserve magical knowledge in a form I can utilise. Perhaps some way of concealing it for travel and ensuring I can never lose it. Oh, and make it fireproof. Is that feasible, or is the perfect the enemy of the good here? Something along those lines I'd be grateful for, regardless of how successful. Thank you, for this and for everything."

What do you want/expect out of this game: To have fun, to help the other players have fun, and to enjoy being a quasi-deific dragon over a post-apocalyptic land. Repopulating dragons is definitely on the agenda.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Goodwitch Skadi/ Vorinitrox The Gorebride, Imperatrix of the Eternal Dominion (Ret.)

"Don't go up there children, the witches live there. No, I don't think they eat kids but they sure do like talking about it. Seriously, stop throwing rocks through their window you little poo poo, your brother spent three weeks as a toad and I am not going to put up with that again."

All good things must come to an end, and after a long successful as the dread overlord as one of the largest empires the shadow of the world-stone had ever seen, Vorinitrox decided it was time to pursue other careers; a mob of enraged serfs streaming over your underlings and horrible magical deathtraps being a very firm "resign or be fired/decapitated."

Okay, so spending several generations living in what was basically an emergency escape bunker kinda has its downsides. Still, helping a bunch of peasants out with sick cows and colicky babies means the karmic balance is restored right? Also, after being stuck in this godsdamn tube for who know how long, she's one of the good guys at this point. That's how it works.

Dread Magus*+6 Curing pox and infertility seems a bit low end these days, on the other hand, no dealing with tricksy demons trying to get out of their contract. She kinda misses it though, sometimes you want to rock that hubris just to see what will go wrong. According to the theorems, a large enough fireball should ignite the atmosphere.

Warrior Queen+4 She's a bit rusty, but once she has time to start yelling at people and stabbing things she's pretty sure it will all come back.

Inhuman Vitality**+2 Getting hurt, getting sick, and getting old are something poor people do. Also helps when outrunning angry mobs and/or punching through inconvenient walls.

What did you tell the Wizard when asked about making a magical item: "Surprise me, show me something from the good old days." :corrupt:

What do you want/expect out of this game: Get to be a crazy sorcerer-queen, but like, ethical this time.

*I'm willing to specify a more specific magical schtick if needs be.
** If you decide this is too close to what all paragons get, I'm willing to change it. I'm just picturing being exceptionally hard to kill, laughing off impalement and etc. Also willing to change this to shapeshifting or similar

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Dec 31, 2018

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

JamezBfod posted:

Yes good. What does Tvar consider to be good in life?

Tvar does not really consider things good or bad. He (though not actually a male or female in the manner of mammals, Tvar is generally referred to using male pronouns due to the perceptions of those surrounding him, and does not mind) takes some small pleasure in certain acts, like besting an enemy in the arena, or finding and mapping a new mountain pass. But he finds these pleasurable in the same sense that mammals might find defecating or sneezing pleasurable - an autonomous bodily function that is at best satisfying to complete. Tvar's true calling is his internal monologue, which while not exactly printable in words, is a neverending cascade of sensation and story, an unfolding of sign and synapse in the darkest alleyways of his mind that he finds eternally interesting.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Name: Malto Dextrin

Picture:

Backstory: "Don't worry, my lady! Yes, the fiendish Owlbear Wizard Gartrox has escaped with your beloved husband once again, but I, Malto Dextrin, have never failed to complete my mission except in instances of total world annihilitation but those don't count, you can read about it in my bestselling work The Malto Dextrin Adventurer's Handbook, I really do reccomend the hardback edition it's bound in genuine Beholder leather you see! No, I'm afraid I can't fly after him, that's more the milieu of your general arcanist and as you know I am a Swordmage, the only human member of the Elven branch of Swordmagery I might add. A genuine prodigy! Much better at evocations you see, your fireballs and flaming swords and lightning bolts and such. No, no, you made the right choice. A proper Wizard is all well and good but they're just terrible at infighting, can't use a blade at all. I'm the best fencer east of the Fravon mountains! He just caught be unaware with that blinding spell- you did see how I jumped off the castle wall and skewered that goblin though, right? What a thrill, I'll be recounting that one for the ages! In any case yes I'll be after him right aw---"

Paragon ability/skill(+6 Quality): Swordmage (of the Elven school of Swordmagery, you know. Only human ever to do it!) Malto Dextrin is a first class Swordmage; a fencer par excellence that can back up his blade with deadly combat magic. Perhaps there is a better swordsman out there, and he doesn't have every nifty trick a pure Wizard might, but the unique blending of the martial and the arcane gives him a diverse toolset and makes him a deadly and unpredictable adversary.

Secondary ability/skill(+4 Quality): Chaos Attuned (at least I've been told that, really it seems like a load of nonsense I'm just very good at improvising! Be it fate, a blessing, or some other machination of higher power, Malto Dextrin always seems to come out on top when all the chips are down and caution is thrown to the wind. You will see him gleefully dodging arrows, javelins, bolts of elemental magic, and oddly (but impeccably) timed background explosions that bring out that lovely swashbuckling sensibility of his in the middle of a pitched battle. His luck only really seems to hold when the poo poo is hitting the fan; he's terrible at poker.

Tertiary ability/skill(+2 Quality): Élan. (That's French you know, very fancy!) Joyful, spirited, brave to fault. Malto Dextrin is always looking for the next fight, the next score, and the next willing (or unwilling) ear to regale his extraordinary history to. Put simply, he's just a very likable guy in spite of the fact that's he's obviously crazy.

What did you tell the Wizard when asked about making a magical item: "I know just the thing! Really, what is the most important thing to an adventurer other than his weapon? And to a Swordmage, well, you'd be remiss not to have A Really Good Sword. You know, one that's flashy and sharp and well attenuated to my arcane wavelength. It'd be doubly good to have since you appear to have forgotten to translocate my old one, along with my armor. Or any of my belongings, really. Do you have a cigar, it's been ages since I enjoyed one?

What do you want/expect out of this game: To cut loose, play another incarnation of an old and favorite tabletop character of mine. No brooding, no power plays, just a dude what likes to fight and show off. He's invincible, you know. Never died no matter what stupid thing I've tried to do with him. World Annihilation doesn't count.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Wren

Backstory:
Wren did not know his parents. He did not even know what killed them. All he knew were the streets of Daavgrad, the hustle and bustle of city life, and the coming and going of urchins like himself. What separated Wren from the myriad other of pickpockets, urchins, and thugs that infested the city was a certain amount of finesse and an unnatural hunger for stealing that bordered on the pathological. Where others merely subsisted, or were hung from the Palace of Penitence, or ever more rarely managed to eek out a comfortable existence, Wren thrived. It was no wonder then that the local Thieves' Guild approached him one early morning in his fifteenth year and made him an offer he could not refuse; join us, or we cut your fingers off. Naturally, Wren graciously accepted the offer. The protection and connection of the Theives' Guild catapulted Wren to greater heights, and he became something of a specialist when it came to difficult jobs with unusual security or difficulty of access. His disappearance some years latter, leaving no notice and no trace, disappointed but did not surprise the Guildmaster. Wren had always been... unusual.

Paragon ability/skill(+6 Quality): Sneak-Thief
Wren is an unparalleled sneak-thief, his skills honed on the streets and rooftops of Daavgrad. His ability is matched only by his enthusiasm. Whether by picking locks or picking pockets, Wren is adept at taking what he wants and getting away unseen.

Secondary ability/skill(+4 Quality): Knifework
Life on the streets impressed upon Wren the need to defend oneself, proactively or otherwise, and Wren has embraced this necessity with almost as much enthusiasm as he has theft. He eventually settled on the knife or short blade as his tool of choice, favoring its discretion alongside its other qualities: Quick, precise, and accurate when thrown. He even used to busk by performing knife tricks if it was a particularly slow week.

Tertiary ability/skill(+2 Quality): Charmer
Wren can charm people as well as coats, though he finds people much harder and much less fun.

What did you tell the Wizard when asked about making a magical item: "Give me a blade I can rely on. Small one, of course."

What do you want/expect out of this game: Be a sneaky bastard, chase the elusive next big score, maybe eventually steal improbable things like geographical landmarks or abstract concepts.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Updated my magic item based on your feedback in Discord that the Ring of Sustenance was irrelevant.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Picks by character name:

Caranos
Junpei
Overseer/Starborn
Voices in Stone
Alder Wrinright
Tvar
Zhin
Mikhail Tivkinson
Korrin Smith
Wren

I went almost entirely by feel to make picks this time. All the characters apped in their final forms would make good characters in other games.

Gamethread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878564

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss