Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018
So I got fired from my bumass kitchen supervisor role yesterday that depressed the poo poo out of me for a technical but felt like targeted reason. I couldnt do food that I enjoyed, didnt work with competent people, and the customers sucked. Got hired on today as a saute for one of those hip swank spots, open kitchen, cool menu, pay raise, and now Ill have a day off. I start after the holidays so get to enjoy the weekend and nye. Wooo, gettin drunk af and gonna start to worry about my saute skills tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I got an e-mail from a local hunting lodge saying they got my name from the local visitor's bureau (whom I've done a few banquets for) to let me know that they're looking for a new exec chef/ head of food and bev and asking if I'm interested. They've avoided answering clearly what the salary would be, but it sounds like three months a year of 7 days a week in three day tour cycles, and then very little to no work the other nine months of the year, though pay could be spread out over the whole year if I wanted.

On one hand, it's a big step up position wise, and the kind of food they want isn't hard for a two to three person kitchen, especially since it's all fixed guest number banquets. On the other hand, my current bar job, though boring, is easy as all hell and pretty cushy pay-wise when you factor in tips and managerial generosity. A part of me feels like i'd be crazy not to jump on this opportunity, but a part of me also thinks I'd be a fool to leave a job where the boss literally just hands out cash sometimes when he's in a good mood.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

A part of me feels like i'd be crazy not to jump on this opportunity

I agree with that part.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Porque no los dos? If you can manage the work at least. Or do that job, and then your bar job the rest of the year.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Manuel Calavera posted:

Porque no los dos? If you can manage the work at least. Or do that job, and then your bar job the rest of the year.

I don’t think the boss/owner at the bar job would go for it. He took it very personally when I was working Sundays at a different restaurant’s buffet. Plus, hunting season is busy for everybody, he likely wouldn’t be on board with being short staffed or having to hire temporary help or paying a ton of overtime to cover my absence. It’d be ideal, but it’s highly unlikely I could get it to happen.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can't hurt to try and ask at least.

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004

TheParadigm posted:

Yeah, all good advice. Furthermore, I believe that the new (american) laws dealing with unpaid internships are directly affecting how businesses deal with stages.

Its super crucial to see someone's work ethic in motion, and its also super crucial to pay your employees that make you money. Really, if you don't get the stage/pay off on the right foot its a mark against a modern business, and something I would judge the leadership for when applying.

But what about just going to a strange restaurant and working for free just because you want to?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

The one true heezy posted:

But what about just going to a strange restaurant and working for free just because you want to?

Sounds like a great way to borrow an oven. "Hi, i'm here to do my stage, brought my own dough. Let me just pop these loaves in really quick. Oh sick, steam injection, hell yes, crispy bois. Now thrill as I fail to do the simplest tasks under pressure for 20-30 minutes. Oh, I'm a spaz and cant handle a kitchen environment? Fine, i'm taking my bread and leaving."

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
For your edutainment:
Tastemakers share tips for great restaurant service

quote:

“Service is a gift,” says Mark Canlis, co-owner of the alluring midcentury-modern restaurant bearing the family name. “We’d like to know the people we’re giving it to.” If a group of well-dressed women comes in, for instance, they’re apt to get a prime table. It’s a reward of sorts for their having taken the time to show the restaurant and fellow diners they’ve put some thought into making the night special. Cultural considerations play a factor, too. All things being equal, a group of busi­ness­peo­ple from Japan, which places a premium on symbolism and protocol, will get the coveted window tables over a group of American executives.

Danny Meyer oversees the Union Square Hospitality Group in New York and wrote the book on service. Literally. It’s called “Setting the Table: The Transforming Power of Hospitality in Business.” You bet he has a thing or three to say about the subject. For starters, Meyer uses hugs, real and otherwise, as a metaphor for what he expects his restaurants to deliver. The idea is for each establishment to “go beyond what’s expected” and “let customers know it’s not just a financial transaction.”

:barf:

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

I'm sure that guy has really good opinions on black people.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Yep, genuine hospitality is giving better service to some based on arbitrary things. Checks out.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Welcome to the hospitality industry, we manipulate the customer to maximize profit!

Oh, I guess that was news to some people?

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
What does the book say about how well specific racial groups tip? :can:

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018

My boss reccomended this book when I asled how to get better at foh stuff. He is a tool so it all makes sense now.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Welcome to the hospitality industry, we manipulate the customer to maximize profit!

:capitalism:

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
That is so loving weird to me, because why the gently caress not just focus instead on making all the tables in your restaurant "good tables?!!?"

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

That is so loving weird to me, because why the gently caress not just focus instead on making all the tables in your restaurant "good tables?!!?"

I get what you're saying, but to some people, some tables will inherently be "better" or "worse" than all the other ones. The corner booth next to the window > the four-top in the middle of your restaurant next to the service stand. The two-top three tables in > the two-top closest to the door. That kind of poo poo.

The 'giving the better table to the Japanese businessmen (who care about these things!) rather than the American executives (who are too stupid to notice these things!)' poo poo is racist and classist and lovely, but realistically probably makes these people money sometimes and doesn't really harm their bottom line the rest of the time.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I eat out literally between 250-300 nights of the year for work and I don't have emotional feelings about the table that I am sat at and really don't understand how anyone does - any remotely decent restaurant will just do the best to have all tables be good tables.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I eat out literally between 250-300 nights of the year for work and I don't have emotional feelings about the table that I am sat at and really don't understand how anyone does - any remotely decent restaurant will just do the best to have all tables be good tables.

While I agree with you, I know from personal (anecdotal) experience that my oldschool farmer-turned-cityfolk grandparents were not ever ok if someone tried to seat them at a table anywhere near a washroom or door to the kitchen. This included (one time I remember vividly) a table at least a solid 15-20 feet away, but since it was still the closest table to the hallway the washrooms was in, that was unacceptable and my grandma threw a fit until they put us somewhere else.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I've got long term clientele that have preferred tables, and knowing how to juggle their desires is one of the bigger parts of my job

but that's country clubs over general public restaurants. They want me to remember who picked up the tab 2 months ago, or if they were there with a mistress or their wife the night before so that I don't accidentally out them

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Shabadu posted:

I've got long term clientele that have preferred tables, and knowing how to juggle their desires is one of the bigger parts of my job

but that's country clubs over general public restaurants. They want me to remember who picked up the tab 2 months ago, or if they were there with a mistress or their wife the night before so that I don't accidentally out them

You should out them.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

It’s not “having emotional feelings,” it’s preferring, where possible, not to spend your dinner smelling a bathroom or being jostled by runners coming in and out of the kitchen all night. Many restaurants are more concerned about squeezing in an extra four top than having all their tables be good.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I work on the waterfront and you better believe everyone is requesting to sit by the windows. Some tables will be "better" than others for certain people.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Many restaurants are more concerned about squeezing in an extra four top than having all their tables be good.

This is really what it boils down to. Restaurant owners are greedy as gently caress and they'll squeeze money out of anything possible.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

It's not the manipulation or the existence of preferential tables, for me it's not even the racism, disgusting though it might be. It's the way that it's all shrouded in garbage promotional newspeak marketing language. I'd be way more down with "we look to create the most enjoyable experience so people forget it's a financial transaction and fork over their :10buxx:" versus "service is a gift". In a news article like this, it's hard to tell if they are just self-promoting or also getting high on their own supply.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 31, 2018

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You should out them.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Field Mousepad posted:

This is really what it boils down to. Restaurant owners are greedy as gently caressusually barely making ends meet or making a profit because this industry is still super hosed and they'll squeeze money out of anything possible.

Sometimes it's just greed, sure. A lot of times it's that seating an extra 8 customers a night means you can for sure pay your bills.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Restaurant owners are in fact greedy as poo poo.

But they're also stupid for opening a restaurant. I mean frequently something as small seeming as being able to seat 8 more people makes that much of a difference to the bottom line.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Also everyone should understand that certain restaurants are, by nature and /or design, more crowded by others. If the place is popular or tiny or both, and you want to eat there, you sit where they can seat you.

What is bullshit is the restaurant having some unwritten policy that because they deem some customers unworthy of what they know are more desirable tables, they seat those customers accordingly even when the place is not at capacity.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Special treatment for people coming from far away vs those who walked a few blocks seems to be a bigger miss. Who wants repeat neighborhood business in a restaurant, anyways??

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You should out them.

Why should he or she?

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018
Seat everyone by the shitter.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

The Maestro posted:

Why should he or she?

This. Mind yer fuckin business.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The Maestro posted:

Why should he or she?

Some people just want to watch the world burn.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Field Mousepad posted:

This. Mind yer fuckin business.

The customer is making it other people's business. Did you not read the posts?

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You should out them.

$20 says wife already knows.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Tezcatlipoca posted:

The customer is making it other people's business. Did you not read the posts?

By being out in public? Sure, I guess. Hospitality is also about discretion. Why would you out them and create a scene thus ensuring they don’t come back when you could just serve them like normal and make money off of them? It’s really not that hard to not say Welcome Back or whatever. If they aren’t causing a scene or breaking any rules or laws, then who cares? It’s their business, and if they’re coming to a country club and not a normal restaurant or bar, then I guarantee the wife already knows. By making a scene you’re just taking a customer away from yourself.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

The Maestro posted:

By being out in public? Sure, I guess. Hospitality is also about discretion. Why would you out them and create a scene thus ensuring they don’t come back when you could just serve them like normal and make money off of them? It’s really not that hard to not say Welcome Back or whatever. If they aren’t causing a scene or breaking any rules or laws, then who cares? It’s their business, and if they’re coming to a country club and not a normal restaurant or bar, then I guarantee the wife already knows. By making a scene you’re just taking a customer away from yourself.

You sure give a whole lot of shits about maintaining this dude's affair.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
And you care a lot about other people's private matters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
If you're having an affair you're a raging rear end in a top hat and I don't really give a rats rear end about your privacy :shrug: