Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I have seized this thread back from the coward Bees.

Another year means another chance to challenge yourself to ludicrous challenges, but first of all let's review the state of the 2018 resolutions.

2018 resolutions - :toxx:

Everythingwasbees - Cut manga list by half (down to 323 manga). Watch Houseki no Kuni Status - Added to the list, actually nearly doubled the list
Namtab - Finish at least 7 visual novels. Status - I read doki doki literature club :rip:
Disdisdis - Beat Nier Automata, finishing all endings optional Status - Jun 11th "I'm getting banned lol"
Erg - Finish every anime on the on hold and currently watching lists at time of post https://pastebin.com/FrdYHw2U - only 3 drops allowed. Doesn't have to watch entire franchise if not enjoying it though. Also wanted to keep a food diary (probably only toxxed for the anime one tho) Status - 52 episodes left. Used 1 drop
Eela6 - Watch at least the 1st season of Rakugo Status - No updates
Anohiro - Finish 7 VNs Status - Finished

2018 resolutions - Cowards

Zepia - Watch an anime movie at the cinema & Love Live S2 Status - No updates
Littleorv - Watch all of the ghibli movies. Status - No updates
Everything Burrito - Watch the 24 shows on the "on hold" list Status - 5 shows left
Julias - Finish Chihayafuru, March Comes In Like A Lion, Shirobako, Sabagebu, Diebuster, Yuruyuri, Kyousougiga + 2 shows from each season. Status - Did the seasonal stuff, Shirobako and Diebuster
Mentat Radnor - Gain 20lb of muscle. Read the following manga to completion/most recent update: Battle Angel Alita, Nausicaa, Skip Beat (I think I left off around chapter 165?), Helck (I was around chapter 55), Horimiya, Ran and the Gray World, Wandering Emanon, Kotonoba Drive, Yukibana no Tora. Status - No updates
Sindai - Finish Legend of the Galactic Heroes Status - No updates
Nielsm - Finish the 2nd and 3rd arc of the Honzuki WN and improve japanese skill. Status - As of Jun 11 had read 20 chapters out of 150
Droyer - Watch the first season of Natsume Yuujinchou Status - Completed!
Expect My Mom - Try to get into Love Live and Fate/Stay Night. Watch Rakugo, ACCA and Dragon Maid. Status - Did the majority of this before 2018 started, has not said whether completed
Davincie - Watch an anim longer than 2 "cours", and try an anim he dropped in 2017 again. Status - Completed
Strange Quark - Watch 15 anims recommended by other people. Status - As of Dec 6th only had s-CRY-ed, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and Aisteruze Baby to go
Tangents - Finish S1 of March Lion Status - No updates
GorfZaplen - Watch the Mobile Suit Gundam movies, Hyouge Mono, Koko wa Greenwood and Kimagure Orange Road, Dororo, Handa-kun Status - Finished
Wark Say - Rewatch Slam Dunk, Replay and finish the mainline SMT games, Get in shapt to play viola and sing at the same time Status - No updates
El Dorito - Give the 3 ep test to all shows in crunchyroll backlog Status - No updates
Kytrarwen - Finish Steins Gate VN, Finish Fate/Stay Night VN, Watch Toradora, Watch 2 anime spin off movies (SAO does not count) Status - No updates

:siren: So this year things are changing slightly in that this thread is now an auto-:toxx: unless you specifically opt out. I'll be keeping a list and unless I see a statement saying that you aren't toxxing you're going on the list.

Enjoy, and happy new year y'all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

So the VN resolution went badly because I kinda bounce off Visual Novels nowadays.

For 2019 therefore I'm going back to my original resolutions that keep my anime levels up, but with some minor tweaks.

I will be watching 35 anims in 2019. Of these 35
- At least 20 have to air in 2019
- No more than 5 can be rewatches
- No more than 5 can be shorts
- Only one season of a show counts towards completion (e.g. if I watch the entire monogatari franchise, it counts as 1 entry)
- I may not make any complaints on discords, the forum or any other medium about this toxx. If I do then I automatically fail.

I will also finish Fate/Stay Night because its been years, I can at least finish 1 VN right???

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this year i'll finish fate/hollow ataraxia

not really a huge statement cause i've already read half of it and i've just gotten back into reading it but w/e

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

My list is at 1,168 titles. So I'm on track to getting it finished by tomorrow.

For 2019:
Finish OG Vanguard, start G.

Post at least 2 3D models in chat that I attest I'm happy with.

Finish the Symphogears.

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 1, 2019

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I'll toxx a month AND a ban for that btw.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

the loving DOUBLEDOXX :aaaaa:

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

The official erg list as of 15:43 pm eastern 12/30

code:
Cowboy Bebop #1 17/26
ACCA: 13-ku Kansatsu-ka #33337 DONE!
Active Raid: Kidou Kyoushuushitsu Dai Hachi Gakari 2nd #32301 DONE!
Aho Girl #34881 DONE!
Baccano! #2251 DONE!
Barakamon #22789 DONE!
Cardfight!! Vanguard #9539 DONE!
Carnival Phantasm #10012 DONE!
Choboraunyopomi Gekijou Dai San Maku Ai Mai Mii: Surgical Friends #34295 DONE!
ClassicaLoid #31157 DONE!
Death Parade #28223 DONE!
Dennou Coil #2164 DONE!
Digimon Savers #859 DONE!
Durarara!! #6746 DONE!
Fate/Apocrypha #34662 DONE!
Go! Princess Precure #28669 DONE!
JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Diamond wa Kudakenai #31933 DONE!
Juuni Taisen #35076 DONE!
K-On! #5680 DONE!
Kekkai Sensen & Beyond #34451 DONE!
Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series #35079 DONE!
Koukyoushihen Eureka Seven #237 DONE!
Koutetsujou no Kabaneri #28623 DONE!
Kyouran Kazoku Nikki #3577 DONE!
Little Witch Academia (TV) #33489 DONE!
Love Live! School Idol Project 2nd Season #19111 DONE!
Mouryou no Hako #4879 DONE!
Net-juu no Susume #36038 DONE!
New Game!! #34914 DONE!
Noragami #20507 DONE!
Princess Nine: Kisaragi Joshikou Yakyuubu #1846 DONE!
Princess Tutu #721 DONE!
Sakura Quest #34494 DONE!
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu #28735 DONE!
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru #8726 DONE!
Stella no Mahou #32555 DONE!
Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge #32093 DONE!
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann #2001 DONE!
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun #6213 DONE!
Mahoutsukai no Yome #35062 DONE!

Drops: Magus Bride, Blend S, whatever that historical anime was 
Disqualified: Black Clover because it's still running so im not calling it a pre 2018 anime

Episodes left 9
im gonna make it

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

first of let it be said that putting me in cowards is some bullshit

secondly i originally thought of some complicated stuff this year but i decided to simple it down and just copy squark

ill watch 5-10 shows (amount variable depending on length) suggested by people. the suggestions can't be longer than 26 eps. the suggester has to have actually liked the show. no kids shows but otherwise im looking for 0 accounting for my 'taste' cause the point is a challenge. ill solicit suggestions throughout the year

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Davincie posted:

You didn't write toxx in your post, you wrote a lot about how having achieved your goal you felt that other people should have toxxed tho.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

For this year I intend to complete at least a season of each of these series:

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Sound! Euphonium
Land of the Lustrous
Real Drive
Kara no Kyoukai (Must complete the first 6 as per Erg)

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

im proud of erg

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Fine, I'll :toxx: too. A ban as well if I don't follow through. By December 31, 2019, I'll finish whatever 8 or 9 anime I have on my Crunchyroll queue. It don't matter if:
  • I have the shows on DVD/Bluray already.
  • If I watched them already.
  • If there's more than 1 or 2 cours/season of the show.

e: Huh, well they're mostly good to great shows.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 30, 2018

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Next year I'll finish watching all the Brave shows, and the GGG sequel novel as far as it's translated.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Let's make it official. I'll watch all these shows from start to finish:
  • Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 0/64
  • Chivalry of a Failed Knight - 0/12
  • Hoozuki's Coolheadedness - 0/39
  • Kamisama Kiss - 0/25
  • From the New World - 0/25
  • Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju - 0/25
  • Coffin Princess Chaika - 0/22
  • Blood Blockade Battlefront - 0/24
  • Free: Iwatobi Swim Club - 0/37
That's 273 episodes of Anime that I'll watch before 2019 ends. :)

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 30, 2018

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

not sure you'll be able to finish all 25190 episodes showa genroku rakugo shinju

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Droyer posted:

not sure you'll be able to finish all 25190 episodes showa genroku rakugo shinju
Sorry. I was summing the episodes up using the list and forgot to delete that before posting it. I blame the chicken wings I just had. :mmmhmm:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Follow up goal: I need to finish the Kaiji anime. Since I had this as a resolution before and failed, if I fail this time I should receive an extra punishment that will be left up to uhhhhh littleorv.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
gently caress it, in 2019 I will 1-ALL Ketsui

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I haven't updated my post in a while, but my current status is I'm on ep 11 of 26 of Aishiteruze Baby and everything else is done.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
2018:

my lovely internet is too unreliable to pin a toxx on being able to watch things so I'm just going to resolve to watch some anime this year, as I can.

e: no wait I thought of something I can :toxx: on
I will watch Yuri on Ice and the Classmates movie because I bought the dang discs and have not even opened them yet.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Woo, I managed to be the only non-coward to succeed so far!

Well, I'm gonna have a long train commute soon to watch tons of anime on, so I'm gonna go a bit big.

:toxx:I will watch at least one cour of anime from sometime before the current season every week:toxx:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Wark Say posted:

Fine, I'll :toxx: too. A ban as well if I don't follow through.

Wait a minute, can you even get banned?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Next year I'm going to watch the top 5 "Best Anime of 2018" (skipping the ones I already watched) according to the results of that thread.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

AnoHito posted:

Wait a minute, can you even get banned?

There's a cultivated list of successors

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Finished Bebop and my toxx :toot:

i should probably do a write up of what i liked but there's a lot so that might take a bit lol

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I already had my 2019 toxx kicking around in my brain so I'll just write that out I guess

anime :toxx:
I'm going to watch all of the Gintama tv series in 2019. There's probably movies and junk but I won't toxx on watching those
I'm doing a couple show trades
Gorf's show trade: first three gundam movies
Orv's show trade: D-Frag
Squark’s show trade: Samurai Flamenco
I might add some more show trades if I feel like it

non-anime :toxx:
I've got a million JRPGs half finished, I want to get through the main story of at least 5 of them:
Tales of Berseria, Tales of Xillia 2, DQ11, Ni No Kuni 2, Atelier Sophie, Atelier Lydie and Suelle, Persona 5, Trails of Cold Steel 2, Tokyo Xanadu, Ys 8, FE Echos, and i'm sure I'll think of some more I want to tack on here as an option

Erg fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 15, 2019

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
:toxx:

Watch all episodes of Gundam Turn A
Play through Fate Hollow Axtaria

I've started both of them earlier in the year, but i fell of them both near the beginning. Wanna correct that wrong

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
You know what they say-if at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

For 2019 I'm going to finish watching all of the shows that I was planning to watch in 2018:
  • Chihayafuru (season 1 and 2)
  • March Comes In Like A Lion (season 1 and 2)
  • Sabagebu
  • Yuruyuri (just the 3 tv seasons, no OVAs)
  • Kyousougiga (the TV Series)

In addition, I'll buy an SA Forum Av/Upgrade for the first person who has already posted in this thread before this post to complete their 2019 toxx AND for the first person to quote this post and make a toxx resolution. :toxx:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Davincie posted:

secondly i originally thought of some complicated stuff this year but i decided to simple it down and just copy squark

ill watch 5-10 shows (amount variable depending on length) suggested by people. the suggestions can't be longer than 26 eps. the suggester has to have actually liked the show. no kids shows but otherwise im looking for 0 accounting for my 'taste' cause the point is a challenge. ill solicit suggestions throughout the year

I challenge you to watch Kaiba

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
i finished nier it was alright

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Namtab posted:

2018 resolutions - Cowards
Wark Say - Rewatch Slam Dunk, Replay and finish the mainline SMT games, Get in shapt to play viola and sing at the same time Status - No updates
    Just to report on this.
  • Actually finished Slam Dunk like way early in September. Kinda fell more in love with the series overall. :syoon:
  • I don't have an XBox, so I didn't get SMT: Nine and the SMT:Imagine servers closed years ago, but other than that I played Shin Megami Tensei I, II, if, III:Nocturne, Strange Journey, IV and Apocalypse. I love the series to pieces and can't wait for Shin Megami Tensei V.
  • While I haven't played Viola live a lot, the weddings/covers band did get to play "Dust in the Wind" and I did get to channel my inner Robby Steinhardt. It was so fun. :kimchi:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Time to challenge myself. In order of personal importance:

1) Finish off Ninja Slayer and watch Inou Battle to say that I have watched all the Trigger shows. Maybe also watch the LWA movies.

2) Clear my on-hold list except for JoJos because that's way too loving long. This means Railgun S2, AssClass, Fujiko Mine and the aforementioned Ninja Slayer.

3) Watch the three dramas that have been suggested to me for a long time: March Lion, Rakugo and NagiAsu.

That's all for me.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I finished my 2018 resolution.

K-ON! | 13 eps | Namtab | Started: [2018-01-02] | Finished: [2018-01-06] It's a good show with solid character interactions, but seeing season one also made me feel like I've watched enough K-ON! for me.

Nagi no Asukara | 26 eps | Allarion | Started: [2018-01-09] | Finished: [2018-05-10] I thought this show had a very interesting world and was disappointed it left some plot threads related to it unanswered and instead focused more on the character drama. It's all right, but I can't help drawing comparisons to Anthem of the Heart, which executed its similar themes so effectively.

Polar Bear Cafe | 50 eps | Knorth | Started: [2018-08-14] | Finished: [2018-10-15] It took a bit for me to get into it, but I really love the understated vibe of the show. A lot of the humor comes from the characters messing with each other, which I find very relatable, but at the same time, there are a lot of moments that show them genuinely caring about each other. The presence of an emotional heart is what elevates comedies for me, and it definitely works here.

Katanagatari | 12 eps | Erg | Started: [2018-10-16] | Finished: [2018-10-28] drat, Nanami is such a good character.

Mouryou no Hako | 13 eps | Davincie | Started: [2018-11-01] | Finished: [2018-11-06] The reveals in the last couple episodes were a wild ride, though the nonchronological storytelling got a little too meandering sometimes, and the subpar subtitles certainly didn't help.

Girls und Panzer | 12 eps | Vostok | Started: [2018-10-30] | Finished: [2018-11-05] I would have preferred more focus on the tank matches as was the case in the last few episodes, but what action was presented was solid. Some of the CGI scenes made me mildly motion sick though.

Love Live! Sunshine!! | 13 eps | Hazel | Started: [2018-11-05] | Finished: [2018-11-09] I never really liked the drama aspects in the original Love Live show, but Sunshine absolutely nails it. I've always thought of the Love Live anime as sports shows in all but name, and Sunshine is a fantastic execution of the sports formula, where its cast work to achieve their clearly stated goal while overcoming their personal failings.

Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad | 26 eps | Wark Say | Started: [2018-11-10] | Finished: [2018-11-19] Beck definitely feels different from most things I've watched, and I don't think I'd ever would've tried picking it up on my own. I found myself humming its songs every once in a while, so it must be doing something right.

Engaged to the Unidentified | 12 eps | Zepia | Started: [2018-11-19] | Finished: [2018-11-22] The most interesting part of this show is its supernatural premise, but it almost entirely ignores it in favor of just playing through all the standard romcom tropes. I can't help but think the lead is basically Teruhashi in Saiki K. if she were just everything she presented herself to be on the surface. I also found it strange that the girl's love interest has barely any presence in the show, despite being the title fiance.

High Score Girl | 12 eps | Sisselyn | Started: [2018-11-25] | Finished: [2018-12-03] This show was basically tailor made for this kind of toxx challenge. I don't like comedies that are too mean-spirited, and I don't have the background to appreciate all the arcade game fanservice in the show either. But this show really surprised me by building up a compelling character arc with its main character, including one of the most well executed romantic development I've seen all year. No small feat when you consider one of the leads has no speaking lines whatsoever.

s-CRY-ed | 26 eps | Baal | Started: [2018-12-05] | Finished: [2018-12-11] The bog standard shounen dynamic of mutual hate but also complete trust is my poo poo, even if it's paired with really dated visual effects.

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei | 12 eps | littleorv | Started: [2018-12-13] | Finished: [2018-12-18] Fine enough even if I could barely remember any of the girls' names, though I did think everyone was a bit too dedicated to their single character trait. One of the background tracks sounds just like the joke ED in Daily Lives of High School Boys, and it kept loving me up.

Aishiteruze Baby | 26 eps | Cantaloupe | Started: [2018-12-27] | Finished: [2018-12-31] I thought this was just gonna be cute bonding scenes with small children which don't really do anything for me, but it broached a surprising number of heavy topics like stalking, child abuse, and bullying that were handled decently well.

Encouragement of Climb | 12 eps | Julias | Started: [2018-12-03] | Finished: [2018-12-04] The comfiest show about mountain climbing I've ever seen.

Teekyuu | 12 eps | Motto | Started: [2018-12-04] | Finished: [2018-12-04] I watched this all in one sitting and don't really remember what happened.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Julias posted:

You know what they say-if at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

For 2019 I'm going to finish watching all of the shows that I was planning to watch in 2018:
  • Chihayafuru (season 1 and 2)
  • March Comes In Like A Lion (season 1 and 2)
  • Sabagebu
  • Yuruyuri (just the 3 tv seasons, no OVAs)
  • Kyousougiga (the TV Series)

In addition, I'll buy an SA Forum Av/Upgrade for the first person who has already posted in this thread before this post to complete their 2019 toxx AND for the first person to quote this post and make a toxx resolution. :toxx:

Hell, since it's an auto-toxx, I guess I'm in.

In 2019, I'll finally watch Gurren and Eva, like I've been meaning to for years now.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
OK!!! I'm pretty satisfied with how my anime life is going, so I'm just gonna keep on truckin'. :toxx:

Last year, I scanlated a douj for all of my favorite Love Lives' birthdays. This year, I'm going to do a douj for all of my favorite non-LL idols' birthdays (and also Saint Snow, who are Love Lives but aren't the main groups):

idols!!! posted:

March
1 - Roco, Idolm@ster Million Live*

May
4 - Sarah, Saint Snow**
5 - Iorin, OG im@s*

August
10 - Umimi, Idolm@ster Million Live*

September
1 - Kirarin, Idolm@ster Cinderella Girls

December
12 - Leah, Saint Snow
27 - Aya, Bang Dream

* = if I can find a good douj in time, which I will strive to my utmost to do
** = I allow myself to skip Sarah's, if I have at least two of the *s

Also I'm gonna do a few for Nico'd bday and have already done a few for Dia's, but that's not a toxx, that's just established fact.

In addition, I'm going to play more video games. I'm going to beat Breath of the Wild, and at least one Atelier game.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

chiasaur11 posted:

Hell, since it's an auto-toxx, I guess I'm in.

In 2019, I'll finally watch Gurren and Eva, like I've been meaning to for years now.

Cool. Would you like an av or an upgrade, and do you have any way for me to reach you (steam, discord, etc?)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Julias posted:

I challenge you to watch Kaiba

alright but the idea was id ask for suggestions throughout the year

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Davincie posted:

alright but the idea was id ask for suggestions throughout the year

Take your suggestions and commit to them now coward

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Happy new year everynyan. This year I’ve decided to broaden my horizons a little bit and am going to take a recommendation from 10 different people and watch whatever they suggest as long as it’s 26 episodes or less. Hopefully everyone will be nice and recommend things they actually enjoy. This is what I have so far:

1. Witchblade (Eela)
2. Blast of Tempest (Erg)
3. Silver Spoon (Dogsicle)
4. My Bride is a Mermaid (Davincie)
5. Casshern Sins (Gorf)
6. Mononoke (Endorph)
7. New Game! (Colonel)
8. Denno Coil (Sinky)
9. Mahoujin Guruguru (Anohito)
10. Gundam Reconquista in G (Bees)

I am open to suggestions and may add more than 10. Also yes, this is a :toxx:

Edit: Updated list

littleorv fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

littleorv posted:

Happy new year everynyan. This year I’ve decided to broaden my horizons a little bit and am going to take a recommendation from 10 different people and watch whatever they suggest as long as it’s 26 episodes or less. Hopefully everyone will be nice and recommend things they actually enjoy. This is what I have so far:

1. Witchblade (Eela)
2. Blast of Tempest (Erg)
3. Silver Spoon (Dogsicle)
4. My bride is a mermaid (Davincie)

I am open to suggestions and may add more than 10. Also yes, this is a :toxx:

ys ii: the castle in the heavens