Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://twitter.com/FiteTV/status/1078326693960577025

https://twitter.com/yay_yee/status/1078334611262984192

https://twitter.com/Grabaka_Hitman/status/1078325417730338819

doing all the lols here over North America not getting Floyd for ~reasons~.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

It's not like anyone over here even knows he's fighting, but yeah seems like they're leaving a lot of money on the table.

My guess is Floyd has some kind of deal with Al Haymon that prevents a non PBC entity from broadcasting in the states.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Is it possible Floyd negotiated a separate TBD stream that he gets a bigger cut of?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
This is so loving stupid. This dumb, totally disappointing non fight will be on Dailymotion 15 minutes after airing and it will be bad you shouldn't watch it.

If you have ESPN+, the Ito fight will be on there, watch that instead.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Gozinbulx posted:

This is so loving stupid. This dumb, totally disappointing non fight will be on Dailymotion 15 minutes after airing and it will be bad you shouldn't watch it.

If you have ESPN+, the Ito fight will be on there, watch that instead.

nah i'ma watch the freak show like every other right-thinking person

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Mikey Garcia is training at Victor Conte's SNAC facility and if current progress is anything to go off of after the Spence fight the only fights he will be able to participate are Japanese freakshows

https://twitter.com/mikeygarcia/status/1079201246387601408

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Marching Powder posted:

nah i'ma watch the freak show like every other right-thinking person

And here is the thread for the freak show.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878360

I mean technically Gabbi is the proper freak show though.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP3lypB3iuc

Super weird fight, but it's important to remember that floyd had like 20 to 30 pounds on this dude.

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

I mean, I believe Floyd beats Tenshin in boxing 100%, but it's...strange how Tenshin is really flopping into those knockdowns.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Agreed, but I can't figure out for the life of me why RIZIN would fix a match where one of their big stars gets his rear end kicked, and Tenshin looks genuinely upset so IDK.

E: mostly I feel like if they fixed it they would have fixed a better fight

Jump King fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 31, 2018

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Simple, and Floyd is pumping this in the post fight PR, it was entertainment, it draw huge interest (in Japan and likely ratings), it goes on neither's record, and Tenshin is not a boxer, who lost to the (for the sake of argument) the best boxer out there. Plus they can then pump him up on a redemption thing (even though he's undefeated). It's not like Tenshin had real international appeal that was damaged by this.

The James Harden flops were kind of weird though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Was the match bettable, since it was an exhibition? Is there a reason to fix other than for betting's sake?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kimbo305 posted:

Was the match bettable, since it was an exhibition? Is there a reason to fix other than for betting's sake?
https://www.oddsshark.com/ufc/mayweather-jr-vs-tenshin-odds

Apparently there was, no sure how much. A fix could also occur for rating purposes or even long term booking.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I mean, aside from just the fact that Nasukawa's not a boxer, it is deeply important to remember Tenshin was fighting at like 115-120 up until one year ago when he made the enormous move up to 126. He's been fighting since he was an infant and is accustomed to completely understanding the parameters of his fighting world, and last night is almost certainly the hardest he's ever been hit in his entire life.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
My theory is still that the Yakuza needed to launder a serious amount of money and this fight is the result of that.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
That fight is a great example of why boxing loving sucked in 2018 (except for the Wilder vs. Fury comedyathon). Pointless cash grab by Mayweather, the biggest prickhead to ever fight.The worst dives ever by Nasukawa, the dude should be disbarred from whatever fighting organization he's involved in, that was just shameful poo poo. I wonder how much of the purse he was promised or what gambling debts he's trying to pay off.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://twitter.com/mannypacquiao/status/1079798678880104449

lol

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Pac-man tries to find moral high ground. Manages to do so because it's not like being a better person than Floyd Mayweather is in any way difficult.

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse
https://twitter.com/iNSPIR1T/status/1079847460833554432

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Looking forward to the rematch.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Anyone who thinks it's strange that a small dude would fall to getting punched by a dude who is 1.amongst the best boxers to ever fight and 2.almost 30 pounds heavier is seriously loving stupid.

The legs thing is that he was trying to save himself from falling using some kind of leg strength/spring back up type of reaction and failing miserably. What's so hard about this.

This "fight" was so loving stupid.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

looks legit to me. back and to the left. back, and to the left

maybe someone has other footage of the lad getting knocked down to see if he always flails around like ric flair?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

He's only 20, undefeated, and I can't think of a fight where he's really been staggered like that.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

kimbo305 posted:

He's only 20, undefeated, and I can't think of a fight where he's really been staggered like that.

Hes only 20, undefeated, and I can't think of a fight where he has fought somebody with an extra quarter of his weight

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Byolante posted:

Hes only 20, undefeated, and I can't think of a fight where he has fought somebody with an extra quarter of his weight

I'm not denying that Floyd hit him harder than Tenshin's normal competition; I'm just saying I can't produce any forensics for thehappyprince because he's only had a few, successful fights.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah I think it's legit enough, I would also guess that Tenshin had a lot of nervous energy so his sprawling comes from him trying to jump right up rather than waiting to recover properly.

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse
He's also hasn't had his chin tested like this before, and the closest it would be is by guys his size and smaller, plus I feel like no one is talking about the second knockdown which Mayweather loaded up a ton for and fully connected

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i understand that it was a freakshow fight sponsored by the yakuza but that was clearly the best boxer alive putting a beating on a person half his weight with no boxing fights. the only controversy should be that it happened, not how it ended.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

That's why it was only intriguing when it was a kickboxing fight.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Y'all give the Yakuza way too much credit. This is just regular moneymaking business, they're way worse than the Yakuza.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

No way that fight was fixed. Or if it was then they had really impressive head snapping special effects. Mayweather beat the gently caress out of that dude, there's no way you will convince me that was the intended outcome.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

The Ninth Layer posted:

No way that fight was fixed. Or if it was then they had really impressive head snapping special effects. Mayweather beat the gently caress out of that dude, there's no way you will convince me that was the intended outcome.

Seriously. Have (one of the two of) combat sports's biggest villains show up two hours later and throttle a rising star without basically putting in any effort? Though remembering what little I do know about Japanese combat sports I guess its remotely they are really dumb enough to have something so disastrous been premeditated

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Karla Caputo from Queensberry Rules has a post up on the Guardian, What I have learned from scoring 528 fights as a boxing judge

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yesssss, I can't wait to read that.

Edit: good, but a lot of the "only judges can judge" boils down to "no one else is close enough or paying enough attention". They have some good arguments supporting that but I was expecting something more than "they're embarrassing and shameful" regarding the judges that clearly don't have any business doing it.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 2, 2019

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Not that convincing, imo.

quote:

Of the fights scored at a judge’s table, all his cards [scores from her fiance, whose credentials aren't given, and yet she lists as a requirement for accurate judging to have trained before] matched the official results. From the first or second row, eight of his 10 scores matched the official results. From more than 10 rows back only seven of his cards matched. The fights he scored from home matched the official scores eight times out of 10.

If score means points, and not just who won, 8/10 times matching a judge's using TV is pretty loving good. If it's who won, that's completely acceptable.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
By that metric, we should return to the ref being one of the judges. He has the best seat in the house!

edit: yeah I'm not entirely convinced by her arguments. Yeah, we all know that some punches that look good didn't actually land and that the crowd cheers are things that aren't there, we're not dumb.

Also the TV camera angle is seriously really good. Half the camera operators are literally standing ringside next to a turn buckler, they're literally closer to the action than the judges are. Like kimbo said, 8/10 for TV angle is a great record.

Gozinbulx fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 2, 2019

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I should have said that, while they back up their claim with some decent enough points, I'm not really convinced that no one else watching a fight is able to tell who's winning.

I mean, regarding their "his cards diverged more as he got farther away from the table", isn't it a small sample size and wouldn't you have some variance in judgments from person to person inherently? Because that's literally what judging is?

Man now I'm day dreaming about a 538 article about this.

Edit: yeah, I thought the same thing about the ref, but I imagine their counter argument would be that the ref's mind is occupied with enforcing the rules.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I absolutely think being there in person gives you a sense of strikes landing or not that you can't get on video, but she's not being clear about her argument.
If scoring from TV is 8/10 accurate, does that mean the 2/10 disagreements are 8-4 fighter A vs a judge's 5-7 fighter B? Where there's 4-5 rounds of disagreement?

Basically, if 80% of the TV audience were in consensus with the results, we would not be protesting non-outright shadiness.

And yeah, that's from a one person "experiment."

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I think the real issue in most pretty bad decisions is that what you look for/count in a real close round is entirely subjective. A fight with a bunch of close rounds will always have a strange outcome.

For me, i think of judging like a volume dial, you start in the middle (5 lets say) which is dead even for both fighters. As a fighter does some work, you turn the knob towards them, as the other does work, you turn it back towards them. How much you turn the knob/how big of a jump you make depends on the type of work their doing. Huge hits, effective punches, good combos ect jerk the dial a whole bunch towards that fighters side. Nothing at all and the dial isnt turning. Effective ring bullying, combos that keep your opponent off you, pushing him back with punches or just shutting down his offensive gets you a slow steady turn towards that fighter.

In good close rounds, you may end up with a person who you think won, in a close round where both guys are doing more or less the same things to each other, its like net zero gain for either fighter and those rounds are REALLLY hard to score. Its time like that that you'd use the mythical 10-10 round but literally no one ever does that so thats why you get lovely judging on those rounds cause someone HAS to win.

Like the judge who thought Lara beat Hurd, and not just by one or two, but by like 3 or 4 rounds. There were alot of rounds were Hurd was super inactive and not doing much, but neither was Lara. Then Hurd would shut down Lara's attempts with some good movement or some offensive arm punching to push him back. Did he ignore all that or just not think that was worthy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Seems like adding more judges would help even out scoring. With just three cards, one outlier can have an enormous impact.

Disclaimer: I know jack about boxing. I'm just a casual who enjoys watching big fights.