Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Better
This poll is closed.
John Zandig 107 75.35%
DJ Hyde 35 24.65%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Launching a service that sounds exactly like a competitors name, but worse, is very pro-wrestling.

Check out my new promotion, WUUE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

That’s a very smug looking goon

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This is peak wrestling lol

EL BROMANCE posted:

Check out my new promotion, WUUE.
This would also be peak wrestling.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I've been watching a bit of MLW during the pre-WK NJPW slow time thanks to recommendations in the MOTY thread, and this is my favourite moment so far:

Overall the show feels small-scale WCW, with good cruiserweight matches, talented Mexican performers, and some other stuff too.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I've been watching a bit of MLW during the pre-WK NJPW slow time thanks to recommendations in the MOTY thread, and this is my favourite moment so far:

Overall the show feels small-scale WCW, with good cruiserweight matches, talented Mexican performers, and some other stuff too.

This was a real bad match. Those two didn't seem like they gelled together at all.

Dr. Baker
Jan 25, 2012

Numb me, drill me
Floss me, bill me
I have tried getting behind MLW since Battle Riot.
The stabbing of Konnan in the ring may have lost me for good.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

good for drew

wonder what this means for bangtown

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

rovert posted:

Meltzer has talked him up as a long time Observer reader and smart guy.

Whether people can put that into operation in Pro Wrestling is a very different story.

There's no money in wrestling, and he'll just be a money mark till the next one comes along.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

syzpid posted:

There's no money in wrestling, and he'll just be a money mark till the next one comes along.

thats an opinion from 2014. smackdown live with its continuous descent into ratings hell was worth 2 billion

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Dr. Baker posted:

I have tried getting behind MLW since Battle Riot.
The stabbing of Konnan in the ring may have lost me for good.

I'm not caught up so I don't know how bad this is but I was actually kind of digging the story of Low Ki holding onto his championship by just doing increasingly outrageously hosed up poo poo (ripping Fenix's mask/ripping Daga's cauliflower ear open/I forgot what he did to Strickland).

Dr. Baker
Jan 25, 2012

Numb me, drill me
Floss me, bill me

STAC Goat posted:

I'm not caught up so I don't know how bad this is but I was actually kind of digging the story of Low Ki holding onto his championship by just doing increasingly outrageously hosed up poo poo (ripping Fenix's mask/ripping Daga's cauliflower ear open/I forgot what he did to Strickland).

Well, he commits a crime in the ring post-match.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, like I said I haven't seen it yet so I can't judge. I'm a couple of episodes behind. I just liked that there was a coherent story to Low Ki's title run that wasn't "heel authority keeps screwing face out of earned victories over the underserving heel champ." Hell it even kind of satirized that with the Strickland subplot.

Also I'm kind of a Low Ki mark.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Anybody else watching beyond tonight?

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Tomahawk posted:

thats an opinion from 2014. smackdown live with its continuous descent into ratings hell was worth 2 billion

Other then WWE, no one's made money. The 2 billion contract is because of the crazy push by the networks and cable channels to get and overpay for any live sports that people won't be able to DVR. At some point the bubbles going to burst and they are going to try getting out of it.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

sportsgenius86 posted:

yo

8-woman tag opener was fun. cant remember what the rest of the card is but i always like beyonds shows

e: redundancy

shiksa fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 1, 2019

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

sportsgenius86 posted:

Yessir.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
can't wait to see stoke tear eddie apart.

e: vv thank you rad, i forgot that hot sauce/cassidy was on this show, hell yeah.

shiksa fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 1, 2019

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

shiksa posted:

yo

8-woman tag opener was fun. cant remember what the rest of the card is but i always like beyonds shows

e: redundancy

Nick Gage vs. Josh Briggs - Fans bring the weapons
Eddie Kingston vs. Stokely
Chris Dickinson vs. David Starr
Simon Grimm vs. Timothy Thatcher
Beaver Boys vs. whoever won that women’s tourney yesterday
Tracy Williams vs. Orange Cassidy
Matt Cross vs. Andrew Everett

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

oh my god an unprotected chairshot to the head right off the bat

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

sportsgenius86 posted:

Beaver Boys vs. whoever won that women’s tourney yesterday

Solo Darling & Willow Nightingale.

This whole card seems fun, imho, my first Beyond show too, so I'm excited.

Edit: Eddie rocking the Purple Rain shirt, my man.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Kingston just killed poor Stokely.

Edit: "Why would you bleed before your match with Nick Gage?"

J-Ro fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 1, 2019

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Well that sucked

E: is starr getting signed or something

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Alicia Atout is interviewing Nick Gage, just thought you should know.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

"- what is the worst injury you ever had in the ring?
- uhh, the worst injury I ever had is that I died"

that was loving amazing

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

oh poo poo simon grimm shaved his lil curly q mustache.

hes almost unrecognizable, looks more like hurricane helms than anything.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

Well that sucked

E: is starr getting signed or something

Starr being who he is, I feel like he'd have s hell of a time carving out a niche for himself in WWE

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

ah the old "fake wedding proposal for heel heat" bit

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Who is that in the ring with Rush? Guevara or Desmond Xavier?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

freshly squeezed, baybee!!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

syzpid posted:

Other then WWE, no one's made money. The 2 billion contract is because of the crazy push by the networks and cable channels to get and overpay for any live sports that people won't be able to DVR. At some point the bubbles going to burst and they are going to try getting out of it.

NJPW is generating record revenue, CMLL just had a huge year where they averaged 10,000 fans on Fridays for the summer, ROH had a record year and is about to split a 7 figure gate, and I'm pretty sure several Indies aren't losing money either.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

TV Zombie posted:

Who is that in the ring with Rush? Guevara or Desmond Xavier?

Desmond Xavier

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

So the ref really hosed up the main event finish and sent everyone home confused.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Phenix Rising posted:

This was a real bad match. Those two didn't seem like they gelled together at all.

I just watched that match and it was real weird. Xavier did a lot of cool stuff and Everett had one good sequence but he seemed like he could never really find Xavier's speed and the two didn't really seem to get on the same page until the last minute or two. A few minutes before that face plant by Xavier he kicked Everett and the momentum of his kick carried him out of the ring and to the floor. I think he may have nailed his head and actually knocked himself loopy because he was looking off for the rest of the match culminating in that face plant. I don't know what was up there but it just seemed like some kind of perfect storm for that match. Both guys are good from what I've seen.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"

sportsgenius86 posted:

is starr getting signed or something

Starr's moving to the UK because our scene is HOT* right now

* hotness may not last

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MassRafTer posted:

NJPW is generating record revenue, CMLL just had a huge year where they averaged 10,000 fans on Fridays for the summer, ROH had a record year and is about to split a 7 figure gate, and I'm pretty sure several Indies aren't losing money either.

The key indicator is how many US promotions are running weeklies. It’s a good sign but over saturation is a danger to be heeded as well.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/ThisIs_Progress/status/1080217115137921025

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Who is the money mark for these Warrior Wrestling shows? That’s three crazy cards filled with fly-ins.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Edit: nvm saw the whole image in another picture.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

rovert posted:

Meltzer has talked him up as a long time Observer reader and smart guy.

Whether people can put that into operation in Pro Wrestling is a very different story.

Have we ever had any indication how involved Khan the elder is? Because as Dixie Carter showed, even extreme parental indulgence has limits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Have we ever had any indication how involved Khan the elder is? Because as Dixie Carter showed, even extreme parental indulgence has limits.

Zero clue