Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Whalley posted:

Letterkenny seasons 3 through 6 just became available on Hulu in the US so pitter patter let's get this guy a fuckin' puppers

Oh six is out? Dirty loving danglers, boys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
If you're watching Lost for 'drama with a neat setting,' you'll probably like it.

But I hate hate hate Lost because it was pitched as, "Everything is planned. Everything has answers. It's a puzzle and there's clues right from the start."

That's why I was watching and they lied.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The commercials lied every week.

"Next week on Lost..."

*Shows Jack shooting a gun and it cuts to a whole building exploding while Sayid yells NOOOOOOOOO*

*None of that poo poo happens in the actual episode*

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

showbiz_liz posted:

I don't think that's really fair, we've found out plenty already by the point I'm at (late season 4). Certainly not EVERYTHING, but a hell of a lot.

But ultimately I'm watching to see what happens next, not to learn the Ultimate Grand Unified Theory Of LOST. My impression (which could be wrong, since I'm fairly unspoiled on what comes next) is that that's about where the dividing line between fans and ex-fans is - if you wanted all the puzzles solved elegantly and totally, you're more likely to have jumped off the LOST train than if you were just along for the weird ride.

I think "wanted all the puzzles solved elegantly" is even a bit much. Its just that Lost really milked the hell out of the mystery stuff with easter eggs and online games and teases and statements for years and they really created a fervor for answers and a big reveal that it made sense. When they couldn't neatly deliver on that and it became clear they were stringing stuff out and making stuff up on the fly it made a lot of people mad. Lost's high points were always character moments but they sold the show on the freaky mystery.

I don't think that was really my problem. I mean, I empathize with that feeling and do think the Lost people misplayed all of that and hosed with viewers but like I said mostly the show just shifted a bit too much away from character stuff and to freaky sci-fi stuff to hold my emotional investment and then I wasn't able to get it back when it switched back. But I wholeheartedly agree that it probably works way, way better now, on a binge, with TV expectations changed quite a bit BY Lost.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Accretionist posted:

If you're watching Lost for 'drama with a neat setting,' you'll probably like it.

But I hate hate hate Lost because it was pitched as, "Everything is planned. Everything has answers. It's a puzzle and there's clues right from the start."

That's why I was watching and they lied.

More reasons why it's better watching now, years later, as a binge, than it was while it was airing.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
lost great

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Meatgrinder posted:

Oh six is out? Dirty loving danglers, boys!

I love that show but it also eerily captures my daily life so that is a might unsettling. Alberta beef is great and everyone should take grilling tips from Wayne. Bloody savages around nowadays.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Goddamn whoever picks the soundtrack for Letterkenny deserves a medal.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Patriot on Amazon is amazing, especially season 1. Highly recommended!

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Vernacular posted:

Patriot on Amazon is amazing, especially season 1. Highly recommended!

Yes! I love Patriot.

I went in expecting The Americans so something like 'The Americans meets Burn After Reading' was an extremely pleasant surprise.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
No Activity is back on CBS All Access. I got All Access just for Star Trek Discovery but I ended up mostly using it for No Activity which is one of the funniest shows that no one is watching. This season has Jason Mantzoukus and Cristin Milioti joining the cast and so far they are dynamite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ4NhEP36So

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

withak posted:

That's a Texas sized ten four there, super chief. Soundtrack's the best TV ever did.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

withak posted:

Yeah this season was the best by far.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Whalley posted:

That's a Texas sized ten four there, super chief. Soundtrack's the best TV ever did.

Found it: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6rgijopGbsMwhrNz3Y4okl

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If you haven't watched/played Bandersnatch on Netflix yet, you need to. I wasn't a big fan of Black Mirror, but this is really great. All the endings I've gotten have been well done.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 30, 2018

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Should I watch Black Mirror before Bandersnatch?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

wormil posted:

Should I watch Black Mirror before Bandersnatch?

Black Mirror is an anthology series, so all episodes are stand-alone.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There are occasionally subtle references to earlier episodes, but they don't have anything to do with the story. Watch in whatever order you want.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Your Gay Uncle posted:

No Activity is back on CBS All Access. I got All Access just for Star Trek Discovery but I ended up mostly using it for No Activity which is one of the funniest shows that no one is watching. This season has Jason Mantzoukus and Cristin Milioti joining the cast and so far they are dynamite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ4NhEP36So

Is this a third season? Or did you just now discover the 2nd season which has been up for a while now?

Either way I live No Activity and it's great to see some of the best improv/podcast people get to do scenes together.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
We just binged Killing Eve over the past few days and it was great. I'd heard good things about it, but a friend mentioned that it was made by Phoebe Waller-Bridge I basically said "I need to drop everything and watch this now". A good call, as always.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Trig Discipline posted:

We just binged Killing Eve over the past few days and it was great. I'd heard good things about it, but a friend mentioned that it was made by Phoebe Waller-Bridge I basically said "I need to drop everything and watch this now". A good call, as always.
yeah it ruled, very excited for season 2

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You know that feeling you get when you've been binging a series you really enjoyed and you reach the end and you're sad you have no more left and not really sure what to turn on next? Well I just finished Westworld S2 and I had the opposite of that feeling. I basically spent the last few hours of it (which might have just been the last episode) thinking of what I wanted to watch next and glad to almost be done.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

You know that feeling you get when you've been binging a series you really enjoyed and you reach the end and you're sad you have no more left and not really sure what to turn on next? Well I just finished Westworld S2 and I had the opposite of that feeling. I basically spent the last few hours of it (which might have just been the last episode) thinking of what I wanted to watch next and glad to almost be done.

I'm really glad I jumped ship halfway through.

Accretionist posted:

Yes! I love Patriot.

I went in expecting The Americans so something like 'The Americans meets Burn After Reading' was an extremely pleasant surprise.

Its my favorite show in recent memory, I think. S02E06 especially was just so delightfully ridiculous and cathartic after watching John go through what he did. Everybody pooling cash to buy the Romanian accordion boy only to run him off, getting the HR guy to fight the Milwaukee cops...good lord.

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 30, 2018

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

STAC Goat posted:

Ah, but you see, what actually happened was... FIVE MINUTES LATER Ah, but you see, what actually happened was...

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Been rewatching Future Man and it's exactly as hilarious as it was the first time around. I cannot loving wait for season 2.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Just binged through The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel over Christmas, season one was great, and season two is even better.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

bring back old gbs posted:

Good idea watching it with someone else. Honestly the LOST threads were better than the show itself in hindsight. Watching everybody react in real time as TWISTS got thrown out there was insanely fun

I don't think that is fair to the show. But I do agree the LOST threads were legendary. Like everyone who watched television was trying to figure what was going. It kinda reminds me of Twin Peaks back in the day where everyone talked about it and had their own theories.

LOST is definitely a enjoy the journey rather than the result type of show though. I haven't watched in a couple of years but when I first watched it the show was already over. I had seen season 1 live when it was airing but never got to watch season 2. But ya as soon as I finished it for the first time, I was like I need to show this to someone else. So ya I did watch rewatch it once with friends then one more time by myself so I've seen it 3 times.

Lycus posted:

Black Mirror is an anthology series, so all episodes are stand-alone.

They are all in the same universe though and there a lot of easter eggs that you will notice if you have watched it in order. If you watch it out of order you will just think it is vanilla stuff. It's just a extra little side thing.

Also on a side note I haven't *watched* Bandersnatch but I did binge Black Mirror a few months ago and all the episodes were good. It's weird how so many people recommend others to skip episodes. I had a friend who was also watching it at the same time as me but his siblings had recommended him which episodes to watch. I watched reviews for all the episodes afterward and there were many episodes I liked that I would have skipped if I just watched the well reviewed ones.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 31, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've been meaning to give Black Mirror a try but I get the sense its super bleak and dark and I'm never really in the mood for that these days.

I was gonna watch Bandersnatch the other night but it kind of felt like a con job to make me watch the same thing a bunch of times.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

"San Junipero" isn't that bleak. It's just slightly unsettling and it's one of the favorites. I'd also give Hang the DJ a try.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Nosedive and USS Callister aren't that bleak either, at least by Black Mirror standards.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nosedive sucks though because it stretches the premise way too long. It would be so much better if it was a 15 minute short film. But yeah I forgot about USS Calister. It's also solid.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
USS Callister is a much more entertaining Trek parody than The Orville. I had to look up Nosedive to remember it, it's boring.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 1, 2019

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

I've been meaning to give Black Mirror a try but I get the sense its super bleak and dark and I'm never really in the mood for that these days.

This is pretty much the complain I get whenever I recommend Black Mirror to people. I guess it never got too bleak for me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well different people process things differently. For me its that if I had a lovely day or there's some poo poo weighing on my mind or I'm just trying to unwind before bed then I don't really want to watch something that's going to leave me feeling like poo poo or thinking about hosed up poo poo or whatever.

Oddly I'd be more likely to watch a bleak show like Game of Thrones because like, there's a continuous thing to it. Where with Black Mirror since i know its an anthology and I can watch one stand alone episode I know its gonna give me all the resolution I ever get from that story tonight.

I actually passed it over just the other day when I finished Westworld S2. But Westworld ended up really dark and cynical and every good person either becoming a monster or getting brutalized and I just wanted something different than that. And somehow I settled on Being Human, even though I know that poo poo's dark and bleak too. But like... there's hope in the cliffhanger of a narrative show that isn't there in a stand alone piece.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Huh, Nosedive's one of my favourites. It's clever, timely, and I really related to the emotional journey the lead character went on.

I think the ending's charming, and the moment Bryce Dallas' voice drops about an octave, mid wedding speech, to threaten a stuffed toy is an insanely good line reading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soUHXEV_XvE

That scene's loving amazing tbh.

Mu Zeta posted:

Nosedive sucks though because it stretches the premise way too long. It would be so much better if it was a 15 minute short film.

You think you could tell a story about the difficulties involved in female friendships (and in negotiating female rage), the toxic effects of codependent relationships, the interaction between social cliques and class stratification, the damage inherent to aspirational thinking, and the way social media has driven a rise in self-monitoring and curation -- while also wedding it to a cross country roadtrip that escalates through a sequence of comic incidents before pivoting to a dramatic conclusion -- in fifteen minutes?

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 1, 2019

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Lycus posted:

USS Callister is a much more entertaining Trek parody than The Orville. I had to look up Nosedive to remember it, it's boring.

The Orville isn't a Trek parody really, it's more of a homage with modern jokes sprinkled in. Both Nosedive and USS Callister are great imo.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Open Source Idiom posted:

Huh, Nosedive's one of my favourites. It's clever, timely, and I really related to the emotional journey the lead character went on.

I think the ending's charming, and the moment Bryce Dallas' voice drops about an octave, mid wedding speech, to threaten a stuffed toy is an insanely good line reading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soUHXEV_XvE

That scene's loving amazing tbh.

You think you could tell a story about the difficulties involved in female friendships (and in negotiating female rage), the toxic effects of codependent relationships, the interaction between social cliques and class stratification, the damage inherent to aspirational thinking, and the way social media has driven a rise in self-monitoring and curation -- while also wedding it to a cross country roadtrip that escalates through a sequence of comic incidents before pivoting to a dramatic conclusion -- in fifteen minutes?

Yeah because it's boring so you could excise a bunch of that. I feel you could make most of the episodes much shorter. Like the Angel one.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Binary Logic posted:

Just finished the 8 episodes of Season 1 of Diablero on Netflix.
It's entertaining, in the realm of Supernatural. Hellblazer and Grimm but set in Mexico so different culture, different type of villains but familiar rag-tag group of misfits trying to save the world from demons and monsters.
Hope we don't have to wait too long for another season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjFLxAB4vpA

Signal boosting this, because Diableros is a lot of fun. There are some neat scares, good effects and a thick vein of humour running through each episode. The Chihuahua alone had be laughing like a maddun

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Went through all of the first Trial and Error season with the family last night and love every second of it. I can see why it might not have been a hit, but I was cackling every minute throughout every episode. Not a weak moment in the entire run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Mu Zeta posted:

"San Junipero" isn't that bleak. It's just slightly unsettling and it's one of the favorites. I'd also give Hang the DJ a try.

"San Junipero" is pretty much the only genuinely feel-good ending of the entire series

But then again, coming right after "Shut Up and Dance", anything would feel good. I think that episode is the only time a TV show has ever legit made me squirm and groan in my chair.