Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
This conversation is straddling the real and the fictional, so I'm going to state my central point clearly.

gently caress Trump. Vote for his democratic opponent in the 2020 presidential campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I forgot. We the Trump brothers. No... the CHUMP brothers.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

deoju posted:

This conversation is straddling the real and the fictional, so I'm going to state my central point clearly.

gently caress Trump. Vote for his democratic opponent in the 2020 presidential campaign.

If we are doing this I would rather people support and vote for a sane 3rd party candidate so we can at least ATTEMPT to kill the 2-party system that is doing us so much good. In bodymore murderland.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I’m voting for Tony Gray.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Hasselblad posted:

If we are doing this I would rather people support and vote for a sane 3rd party candidate so we can at least ATTEMPT to kill the 2-party system that is doing us so much good. In bodymore murderland.

The Russians leveraged attitudes like this in to a Trump victory. A few thousand votes shifting from Stein to Clinton in a certain states and we wouldn't be in this situation.

The time for purity tests or protest votes is the primary.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean the Democrats could have not run a very lovely candidate probably would have done more

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Yes, but the didn't. And they might not next time, stil vote for them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Guys, could you please take this conversation to D&D? Please? :smith:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Enough with the politics.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Sobotka 2020
Wrong for the right reasons.

I'm Frank Sobotka and I approve of this message.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The wire is about how capitalism must be destroyed

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was king of rooting for Stringer

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Stringer is really fascinating because on my initial watch he definitely felt like he was in the right and that Avon was a detriment/holding them back from actual real success. Later views quickly start showing up all kinds of little things where you see that Stringer has completely misjudged things, or that there are incredibly obvious elements in place that - however unfair they might be - can't be resolved in the painless, theoretical fashion he would prefer and can best be resolved by Avon's methods (horrible as they might be).

Both were at their best when they were a united team, but also when Avon was the clear #1. Stringer's first thought in season 1 when they get a whiff of the police looking at them is to isolate Avon because he recognizes that Avon is the "King" and must be protected by them, even at their own expense. Avon for his part accepts these limitations placed on him because he knows Stringer is making the right call. The moment Stringer was left at the top even in a transitional phase, he stopped working in perfect concert with Avon and began thinking of how HE would run things. Sure, still to Avon's benefit, still bending the knee etc but now he was trying to set the direction for the organization instead of Avon and that was never going to work out.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think Stringer's entire arc is best summarized when Clay Davis tells him he doesn't belong in either the street or business.

He is Icarus.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Stringer thought that because he had the "right" solution to the whole drug trade thing that everybody would fall into line, and for the most part they did. But I'm pretty sure part of the reason was due to the size of the Barksdale organisation and primarily them having the cocaine hookup through the greeks.

In the abstract he was absolutely right that there's no need for the various crews to be killing each other over some corners but good luck changing poo poo.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In a show that goes out of its way to show that the more things change the more they change the same, Stringer never had a chance

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Another thing that you don't (or at least I didn't) notice until your second watch, is how massively stringer overinflates his competence. The guy takes a macroeconomics class at the community college, making him the most highly-educated among his peers, and it goes right to his head.

The "market saturation" scene illustrates it pretty well (i think, anyway; I actually don't know enough about economics to tell if he's full of poo poo or not and the comments seem divided)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkLuncXw-P4

He's not dumb, obviously, by any means, but he has more confidence than competence and doesn't realize it.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As an aside, why is it that characters in The Wire use the word "police" as an unmodified noun? "I am a police", for example, or "he is a good police". Is that some kind of authentic, Baltimore-specific thing or did they make it up for the show? Because while I've heard that pronunciation before, "pō-lēs", I've never elsewhere heard it used as an unmodified noun. What's up with that?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

MrBling posted:

Stringer thought that because he had the "right" solution to the whole drug trade thing that everybody would fall into line, and for the most part they did. But I'm pretty sure part of the reason was due to the size of the Barksdale organisation and primarily them having the cocaine hookup through the greeks.

In the abstract he was absolutely right that there's no need for the various crews to be killing each other over some corners but good luck changing poo poo.

What Stringer didn't recognize is what it takes to take the top spot. I mean, he was there for Avon's days of scratching and clawing his way to the top, but he was not responsible for making the decisions that led to it, Avon was. So Avon sees Marlo and immediately understand that this guy has what it takes to rise on the streets and become a threat, but Stringer refuses to accept that the street operates under it's own rules. His business ideas are ok in practice, once you are already firmly at the top but it also leaves you open to a Marlo-like personality because that's just what the street responds to. If you're name isn't "ringing out" on those corners, nobody gives a poo poo about you or fears you and there will always be a Marlo to come take them from you.

That's the two sides of it, Stringer trying to convince himself and Avon that your Name or how many corners you control isn't important anymore, and Marlo showing them exactly what a person can do if they are singularly obsessed with their Name being whispered on every corner.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Yeah, the Bawlimer accent is interesting.

Also when McNulty follows Stringer to his Community College class the lecture is about price inelasticity and supply and demand, basic Econ 101 stuff. He's thinking about the game as a business but is still learning the fundamentals. To his credit he answers the question correctly though.

BTW, drugs are just about the most inelastic product there is. Addicts will buy the roughly same amount no matter how high the price goes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Avon cutting off Stringer with,"It's not about that part right now, it's about the other thing" is such a great demonstration of his understanding (and Stringer's lack) that there is a time for business and a time for fighting.

Not to say that Stringer wasn't right to want to do business without killings bringing down the heat, or that Avon was right to blindly insist on holding tight to those corners when they had no product to sell, but in general I feel that Avon was more capable of moving between stances which is part of what gave him his success. Hell, he gets out of prison and meets those same smooth talkers that did a number on Stringer, and within 10 seconds he's picked up that they're just looking to milk him and walks away (helped by being horny as gently caress).

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

at that point, bell and barksdale were comfortably rich and would never have to work again with a legitimate income to support that. I dunno if either of them were capable of walking away, but there was zero reason for them to actually be in the drug-trade by then. they seemed to be addicts in their own way, to the power and the prestige.

'just a gangster, I suppose.'

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I have this printed out and framed in my apartment.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just finished the series, and I'm really happy about the positive ending for Bubbles.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Stairmaster posted:

You would think so, but then Simon himself thinks if capitalism is just regulated correctly that it'll be fine. Which is so weird an opinion for him to hold when you look at the work he's produced.

Also, Stringer could've run one hell of a copy shop.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stairmaster posted:

The Wire is about Reginald "Bubbles" Cousins navigating addiction, betrayal, corruption, danger, and probably another word for every letter in the alphabet, on the way toward eventually getting his life back on track to be at peace with himself and make amends with people he cares about.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

hmmm

what if its about both

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bubbles walked up those stairs and sat down at the table for dinner :unsmith:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jerusalem posted:

Bubbles walked up those stairs and sat down at the table for dinner :unsmith:

The happy ending for the good guy of the show. :)

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
It's a fine line between heaven and here

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Addamere posted:

Just finished the series, and I'm really happy about the positive ending for Bubbles.

Poor Dukie though. There can be only one. :(

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wti3_cXeF4k

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Binged Homecoming over the last few days (very much my poo poo, no similarities to do with The Wire though) and noticed a familiar face making a cameo:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
She plays/played the mom of the (drug dealer) main character in Snowfall, too.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

She plays/played the mom of the (drug dealer) main character in Snowfall, too.

She played a nun or something in Dexter.

Hey everybody. Been a while.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

escape artist posted:

Hey everybody. Been a while.

The train may be slow, but it comes in the end :cheers:

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
It's been about four or five years.

How can I get my Brother Mouzone back?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

escape artist posted:

It's been about four or five years.

How can I get my Brother Mouzone back?

Pay the man the money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

algebra testes posted:

Pay the man the money

I know, but I mean, does any still have it or can they find it so I can do just that?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

It's a fine line between heaven and here
Cool username. I've become obsessed with the Pogues/Popes recently.