Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I use an addon called "shutup" that disables comments everywhere. It's great. By default, it disables all comments on Reddit :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Queen Combat posted:

I use an addon called "shutup" that disables comments everywhere. It's great. By default, it disables all comments on Reddit :v:

... and nothing of value was lost.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Does it disable all the comments on SA, too?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I use HerpDerp for YouTube which replaces all YouTube comments. Vastly improved user experience.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I just purchased this SATA to USB adapter: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01EQ7PNZY

And plugged in a known working 2.5” Hitachi mechanical drive. Maximum power draw of the drive according to the label is 800mA. The Pi doesn’t see it and I’m not sure what the best thing is to diagnose why.

* I know the drive works because I tried the adapter with it on my Windows laptop and that was fine and I could format and use the drive.
* As far as I can see it isn’t a power issue because I don’t need to use the max_usb_current setting on a Pi3 - it can supply up to 1.2A already and I have no other USB devices in the other 3 ports.
* The drive should be able to be seen even if the filesystem isn’t readable, but when I do a “parted -l” it shows only my mounted SD card partitions.
* Could it be the adapter? How can I check if it’s even seeing it? It lights up the LEDs on it when I plug in just the single thick USB cable (I shouldn’t need to use both cables, right?).

What else can I try here? I’ll also look for a lower-power drive at work and see if that works.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I dunno, 800mA is a lot to ask of a USB port. The original USB spec topped out at 500mA and it wouldn't surprise me if the Pi can't do much more than that out of a port. I'd plug it into a powered hub and the hub into the Pi.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

thehustler posted:

(I shouldn’t need to use both cables, right?)

If it the hard drive comes with a cable with two USB heads, then yeah plug them both in.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

I dunno, 800mA is a lot to ask of a USB port. The original USB spec topped out at 500mA and it wouldn't surprise me if the Pi can't do much more than that out of a port. I'd plug it into a powered hub and the hub into the Pi.

The Pi 3 can specifically send up to 1.2A down one port. Or 1.2A across the total devices plugged in. I have nothing else plugged in.

That mode is on some Pi models but not the first ones. Lots of folk do it with one cable and a SATA adapter.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Inept posted:

If it the hard drive comes with a cable with two USB heads, then yeah plug them both in.

In the case of a Pi with high current mode only one should suffice according to THE INTERNET. I’m kinda disappointed.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Welcome to the real world--specs and stuff on paper mean nothing. I've had similar drives and if they have two plugs you definitely need to use them.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

mod sassinator posted:

Welcome to the real world--specs and stuff on paper mean nothing. I've had similar drives and if they have two plugs you definitely need to use them.
Thirded, I have an old drive that refused to work even when both connectors were plugged into some motherboard ports, it was so darn hungry. In general, I don't consider the Pi to be the best mate to an external hard drive if I care very much about the health of the hard drive, or its contents.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Hmm. Ok. I’ll get another drive just to be sure and then look at hubs. The Anker gear looks rad if I only want one mains plug.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

thehustler posted:

Hmm. Ok. I’ll get another drive just to be sure and then look at hubs. The Anker gear looks rad if I only want one mains plug.

FWIW, between USB power supplies, battery packs, and cables I probably have at least two dozen Anker products and have had precisely 0 problems.
They're my go-to recommendation for anything USB related unless you have to have something cheaper.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Use a big SSD if you can, they use a lot less power since there's no motor to spin things. But no need to get the fastest most expensive SSD since it's only going over USB 2.0 to the Pi CPU at best.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

Use a big SSD if you can, they use a lot less power since there's no motor to spin things. But no need to get the fastest most expensive SSD since it's only going over USB 2.0 to the Pi CPU at best.

Yeah, I’m not sure I can afford it :( but that does seem the obvious solution.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

mod sassinator posted:

I've had similar drives and if they have two plugs you definitely need to use them.

Counter-anecdote, I've had a half dozen USB hard drives with dual port cables and haven't had to actually use the second connection since USB 1.1 ports were still a thing I'd encounter in the real world. Every USB 2.0 or later port I've ever plugged one in to has been able to power the drive just fine.

I even have a Blu-Ray burner that runs fine off a single plug.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

If the device didn't work, would you consider plugging the second USB connector in?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Dead Goon posted:

If the device didn't work, would you consider plugging the second USB connector in?

I did, here’s the permutations:

Single thin cable: light on cable stays on, disk spins up, but no disk shows up when I do a blkid or lsusb command.
Single fat cable: light flickers a few times then goes out, disk still spins, but nothing shows up
Both cables: light goes out, disk still spins, but nothing shows up

There are so many people reporting that this works with similar drives and similar power levels (and even higher) to my HDD that I’m convinced it’s not a power issue and is the adapter. Especially since the drives seem to spin up.

Trouble with that theory is that it works in Kali on my laptop. Maybe LibreELEC is so trimmed down it doesn’t have kernel support?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Dead Goon posted:

Of course, if it didn't work on one the first thing I'd do is plug in the additional connector. I'm just responding to mod sassinator saying "if they have two plugs you definitely need to use them." which is definitely not true. In my personal experience most modern computers can power a 2.5" USB hard drive off of a single port, though some do definitely need both plugs.

thehustler posted:

Single thin cable: light on cable stays on, disk spins up, but no disk shows up when I do a blkid or lsusb command.
Single fat cable: light flickers a few times then goes out, disk still spins, but nothing shows up
Both cables: light goes out, disk still spins, but nothing shows up
The thin cable is almost certainly the power-only cable with the thicker one being power+data, so that behavior fits pretty well.

quote:

There are so many people reporting that this works with similar drives and similar power levels (and even higher) to my HDD that I’m convinced it’s not a power issue and is the adapter. Especially since the drives seem to spin up.

Trouble with that theory is that it works in Kali on my laptop. Maybe LibreELEC is so trimmed down it doesn’t have kernel support?
I agree with you that it sounds like a software issue, but LibreELEC should have support for any standard USB mass storage class devices in common formats.

Try SSHing in to your Pi with the drive unplugged, run "dmesg", and make note of the timestamp on the last line. Plug the device in and run "dmesg" again. Whatever lines are new will almost certainly be entirely about the device and should make the problem pretty obvious.

edit: Looks like LibreELEC might not be set up to automatically mount NTFS drives, so if it's a larger drive that's been formatted on a Windows system it might need to be manually mounted and added to fstab if it's being used long-term. I don't have any NTFS USB drives handy to test with but i can see that my LibreELEC installs do not have either the kernel NTFS support or the FUSE module required for NTFS-3G loaded.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 5, 2019

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Or just buy a powered hub and plug into that directly. You can spend hours and hours trying different permutations, looking over logs (that will have no useful info if the device isn't powering on correctly), etc... only to learn you need a powered hub to make it work. USB (in early versions) was never designed to support the kind of power that little motors and harddrives need--just the fact these drive manufacturers had to give two cables for power is enough of a clue that this stuff is flakey and not well designed. Sure some machines might go beyond the specs, etc. and work but you're on your own with troubleshooting and assuming other machines will work the same way. If it were me and my time... I'd plug it into a powered hub.

edit: And yeah all of this assumes you've already ruled out that your kernel isn't seeing the block device. Check dmesg and make sure you don't see anything after plugging it in. If you see the /dev/sdX (where X is a, b, c, etc.) device created then likely you just need to figure out how the distribution you're using wants you to mount drives. Some distributions do it automatically, some don't unfortunately.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 5, 2019

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

All good notes, with the caveat that the filesystem shouldn’t matter to see the drive hardware. I’ve tried FAT variants though mostly.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

To be fair I also want to put this into a little case or old piece of retro tech and just have one mains plug. So I could put a hub inside and then it’d all be cool.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

mod sassinator posted:

Or just buy a powered hub and plug into that directly. You can spend hours and hours trying different permutations, looking over logs (that will have no useful info if the device isn't powering on correctly), etc... only to learn you need a powered hub to make it work.
Of course, but I'm not suggesting spending hours trying things, just checking a few things that'd take less time than getting in to the car to fill in the blanks. Compared to spending actual money and either waiting for shipment or going out to brick and mortar a few seconds of console time is no big deal.

thehustler posted:

All good notes, with the caveat that the filesystem shouldn’t matter to see the drive hardware. I’ve tried FAT variants though mostly.
Yeah I missed the part about it not showing up to blkid or lsusb, obviously those should not be impacted by the filesystem. If dmesg doesn't show anything interesting it'd probably have to be power.

A Pi 3 or later apparently provides 1.2A to the USB ports no matter what, the old max_usb_current=1 flag that switched earlier models from 600ma to 900ma doesn't do anything on the newer units, so the most obvious remaining suspect would be the power supply running the Pi itself not being able to provide enough current to make the drive or the adapter happy even though it seems to spin up.

In that case a powered hub or running the Pi off a dual port adapter and just plugging the drive's power cable in to that would be the next things to try for sure.

FWIW I just tested with an old Seagate 120GB USB 2.0 drive, the most demanding USB-powered device I have, and it loads fine with one cord off my laptop or desktop but does not get enough power to fully come up from either a Pi 3 (one or two cords) or my old phone (one cord + OTG adapter). In both cases it blinks and tries to spin up but fails, cuts off, and repeats.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I’m using the official Pi 2.5A supply :(

Edit: there’s so many guides on this and people having success in HTPC setups. WD used to make a low powered “PiDrive” as well which worked well with the older Pis. But yes, full 1.2A to each port now.

And that drive is definitely rated for a max of lower than that. The number on the label is max draw under spin-up.

mewse
May 2, 2006

powered

hub

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
No kidding. I have had so many unexpected power issues with several generation of RasPis, I've wasted literally months worth of project time instead of springing for the $20 hub

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Alright...

Are there any with fewer ports? The Anker stuff is good but 5 ports is a little more than I need. I really want to keep to one plug for the entire build so I want to power the Pi from it too.

mewse
May 2, 2006

:ughh:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have like four of these that I use all over the place, one of them works fine on my pi.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Ultra-Slim-Portable-Adapter-Notebook/dp/B0192LPK5M

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

the first stage of grief in realizing the Pi won't do exactly what you'd like is denial. it is followed shortly by bargaining

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

doctorfrog posted:

the first stage of grief in realizing the Pi won't do exactly what you'd like is denial. it is followed shortly by bargaining

Yeah but, couldn't you power the Pi from the hub along with the drive?

or is that :thejoke:

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
How do HDD with USB even work?

USB is 5V

HDD (Sata) has power inputs of 3v, 5v, and 12v

If there is no Double header how do they get the 12v to spin up the drive?

Further to that, I know Apple Macbook PSU is 19v, but the screens use 52v , how do they get that voltage without large transformers and AC?

TheresaJayne fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jan 6, 2019

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
My friend have you heard of boost and buck converters?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Usually switch mode power supplies. Basically you can put a bunch of energy into an inductor and then disconnect one side, and the stored energy will release a large voltage pulse, and then you can filter a whole bunch of them to get something close to DC

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Edit: Woops, misread a post

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

xzzy posted:

I have like four of these that I use all over the place, one of them works fine on my pi.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Ultra-Slim-Portable-Adapter-Notebook/dp/B0192LPK5M

Lacrosse posted:

Yeah but, couldn't you power the Pi from the hub along with the drive?

or is that :thejoke:

That is the other solution to what I’m doing, yes. The Anker stuff looks great and if I have to I’ll put a hub inside the chassis and use that to power everything. Just frustrating that something that should work and that there are multiple reports of people getting to work doesn’t work for me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's just the way it is, the power budget on a pi is very tight. There's no point in crying about it, just get the cleanest power source you can, and attach peripherals via a powered usb hub. :shrug:

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

A'ight. Cheers guys.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

TheresaJayne posted:

How do HDD with USB even work?

USB is 5V

HDD (Sata) has power inputs of 3v, 5v, and 12v

If there is no Double header how do they get the 12v to spin up the drive?

On top of the voltage converter stuff discussed already, most USB bus powered drives are 2.5" (laptop size) drives that generally don't use 12v.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

wolrah posted:

On top of the voltage converter stuff discussed already, most USB bus powered drives are 2.5" (laptop size) drives that generally don't use 12v.

This is literally what I edited out up there because I thought I’d misread the post. I just assumed folk would know the difference and what I was trying to do etc.