Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

UnknownMercenary posted:

I assume those are from the letters that are supposed to get sent? I found both Tilly and Pearson and got the dialogue with both saying they'd send letters but I've wrapped the epilogue ages ago and still haven't seen them and don't know what's supposed to trigger them.
Never saw Pearson's, Tilly's was on the kitchen(?) table in John's ranch. Not sure if it persists in the world like some of the stuff at the camps or if you need to pick it up at a specific point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Okay, where the hell is Gavin? Can someone spoil me?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
We are all of us, all Gavin

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Bold Robot posted:

*hands you a box of chocolates before dinner*

Don't tell your mother.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Bold Robot posted:

Just tell me where to go to find out. Oh god its in the epilogue isn't it

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Inspector Hound posted:

Just tell me where to go to find out. Oh god its in the epilogue isn't it

I'm Gavin

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Is there a point to donating to your camp after you've made all the upgrades in your ledger?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Goobish posted:

Is there a point to donating to your camp after you've made all the upgrades in your ledger?

It looks fancy.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Goobish posted:

Get good boy points after going on a murder or robbery spree

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

If I give the camp a bunch of money at once do I get more good boy points than when I give em a couple bucks?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Reddit was saying that $20 was the optimal amount to give for max honour points. I didn't really notice either way but it's not that hard to just keep giving in $20 amounts.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Finally made it to the end. Was definitely ready to be done by then, not because of the (epilogue chat)farm building and chores which I actually liked, just the general 'ride around and kill thirty guys' gameplay. If anything I almost wished the bit where you're lying low as farmhand Jim Milton went on longer than it did because it was neat to see such a dramatic change of pace to the rest of the game.

Also Dutch just kinda showing up seemed really odd and out of place. Like I know he was basically supposed to be a man lost but he just seemed to be doing things and siding with or against Micah at random? I dunno, it felt weird that he would come back at all but like they had to include him because he was such a prominent figure in chapters 1-6.

Now to shelf it for six months, boot it up when R* announces some new update that adds things to do in RDO that I mess with for 20 minutes, then inevitably fall back in love with it and replay the entire thing from start to finish again :clint:

DEBATE ME BITCH
Jan 5, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
okay I've been a pretty big dick in this game and my good guy / bad guy scale is slightly less than half. I'm in the fourth chapter, what gives?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Unless you are constantly robbing people and shooting civilians it's actually pretty hard to move the needle when you're neutralish. If you really want to drive it down, rob like 5 or 6 trains. It goes down extra fast if you murder the passengers and then loot their corpses.

Of course once you hit maximum positive honour it is very easy to drop back down. Still takes some effort to push yourself back into the positive if you are at maximum negative honour.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Im surprised by all the negative press ive seen lately about rdr2. The game itself has flaws (looking at you controls) but i wouldnt call it disappointing or a bad game. Especially not in a year that held fallout 76.

No telling peoples tastes i guess

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

ZeusCannon posted:

Im surprised by all the negative press ive seen lately about rdr2. The game itself has flaws (looking at you controls) but i wouldnt call it disappointing or a bad game. Especially not in a year that held fallout 76.

It's not Fallout 76, but RDR2 still has problems it has inherited from GTA franchise. Rockstar basically has the worst controls in the GTA-genre with 'funny' accidents it causes. Horses are pretty stupid IRL, but not as stupid as in RDR2.

Storyline and the open world are great. It's shame there's too much GTA in it.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I like it :unsmith:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Snowy posted:

I like it :unsmith:

Woah, how about we chill with the controversial opinions. This is a family thread.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I went from RDR2 to Witcher 3 for a few minutes because my kid wanted to play it, and the horse handling is so much better in RDR2. The RDR games have always had the best horse gameplay (horseplay? Lol) in my opinion, by far.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

ZeusCannon posted:

There's negative press?

I keep seeing RDR2 on multiple Best of 2018 lists for various elements across the board. Anything negative has usually been RDO related with an asterisk because it's still technically in beta.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

ZeusCannon posted:

It's exactly what happened a few months after Skyrim came out and everyone realized they'd just played a game for 6,000 hours and suddenly they weren't actually having fun. Fitting since it's Yeehaw Skyrim.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Donovan Trip posted:

Fitting since it's Yeehaw Skyrim.

:thunk:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I went from RDR2 to Witcher 3 for a few minutes because my kid wanted to play it, and the horse handling is so much better in RDR2. The RDR games have always had the best horse gameplay (horseplay? Lol) in my opinion, by far.

Did you have the urge to shoot the loving horse in RDR2? Because I did after it faceplanted on a tree a thousandth time.
How many people did you strangle accidentally, when you only wanted to mount your horse?

I like RDR2, but it has some deep flaws.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

adhuin posted:

How many people did you strangle accidentally, when you only wanted to mount your horse?

But that rules? :confused:

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

the GTA/R* controls thing is a matter of preference. I love the weighty style, it’s one of my favorite things about their games and always enhances the immersion for me. it feels like I’m a real dude who actually exists and interacts with the game world. like I’ve been trying to get back into AC: Odyssey, and I can’t get over how much I loving hate the super streamlined floaty style. just how the whole game feels. whether I’m running, climbing, fighting, sailing, riding, I’m always very obviously just steering a floating object around on a 3D plane. it’s like I’m driving a car with different skins.

if they were to ever abandon their style for what’s apparently the Right Way for games to control in 2018 I’d be mega bummed

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I still fire up GTA4 occasionally just to drive around. It feels good.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

adhuin posted:

Did you have the urge to shoot the loving horse in RDR2? Because I did after it faceplanted on a tree a thousandth time.

I dont mean to sound like a dick but the real reason your horse does this is because of you.

Protip: let go of your left thumb stick when you're about to gallop through dense forested areas or near obstacles because your horse will actually avoid these things automatically.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

How do I shoot birds from a moving train without infinity cops and another $300 bounty?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

AndyElusive posted:

Protip: let go of your left thumb stick when you're about to gallop through dense forested areas or near obstacles because your horse will actually avoid these things automatically.

This works like a charm

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

re: horseback riding. generally just slow the gently caress down, stop riding everywhere at a full tilt gallop. travel the way you would on a real horse and you won’t plow into trees and buildings and run people over so much.

like somebody else said, stop Kramering everywhere

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Fallen Hamprince posted:

[*] Arthur's remark to Sadie, while planning the Marstens' escape from the gang's implosion, that both of them are "more like ghosts than people".

That was one of the moments that really got to me, along with Arthur talking about how he briefly had a family until they were killed in a home invasion during one of the rides with Rain Falls and ending with "it wouldn't make much sense if good things happened to bad people." :smith:

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
I made a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpwxOqNQYrA

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

I dont mean to sound like a dick but the real reason your horse does this is because of you.

the big problem here is the bonding system. When you haven't bonded with your horse it won't do poo poo for you. Rock directly in the path? Not jumping that poo poo without a prompt. Tree? Time to take a goddamn header.

but once you bond, the horse tries to solve these problems for you, which becomes a problem because you've grown used to dodging everything yourself, so you get into a fight with your horse and still hit every tree and rock in the way.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
The controls have repeatedly prevented me from capping my horse in the head while hunting on horseback so that’s already an improvement over RDR.

Aside from a few misunderstandings that resulted in brutal bystander deaths, I like the controls and bounty/cop stuff. One time I thought the little red dot on a train stopped in the middle of the woods was a robber holding it up so I blew his rear end up with dynamite, thinking I could cut in on his action. Turns out it was the guard which was inconvenient but really that’s probably my bad on that one.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

My brother in law just informed me the double tap L1 works for your throwing knives as well. Not at home to test it, but he's says you'll flip your knife.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Solice Kirsk posted:

My brother in law just informed me the double tap L1 works for your throwing knives as well. Not at home to test it, but he's says you'll flip your knife.

It doesn’t work with two pistols at once so that sucks poo poo

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

I'm never going to be able to play this game, but I'm interested in just how dynamic the story is based on played choice and the moral system. Is there a good guide somewhere that goes into all the differences?

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
With the reaction from goons every time RDR2 won something at the Game Awards you'd think there was nothing good about this game at all

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

First of May posted:

I'm never going to be able to play this game, but I'm interested in just how dynamic the story is based on played choice and the moral system. Is there a good guide somewhere that goes into all the differences?

It isn't really dynamic or anything, the main story goes the way it goes regardless of what you do. The ending has slight flavor differences based on what end of the honor scale you are at I think, and then you do get to make one significant mission choice in that chapter.
Otherwise you occasionally get to choose stuff like "throw dynamite at them" vs. "sneak up and shove a knife up their spine" which has no real story implications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I also don't mind the "weighty" controls, though as someone who's played a lot of Rockstar (probably more than any other developer) maybe it's a Stockholm Syndrome thing. My justication is that, despite the inevitable drawbacks of it still being just a video game, it feels I'm playing as "a person" in this vast and beautifully detailed "realistic" world. The world design is my favourite part of Rockstar, so I like things that somehow draw more attention to it.

The negative press seems to be specifically in the gaming bracket, where people are more familiar design alternatives that may work better. The mainstream press, here in the UK at least, has been praising it to high heaven since it came out.