Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jacco
Sep 2, 2008
Have they ever mentioned if they will allow addons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
A 2 minute AFK timer seems a little harsh. It takes more time than that to get up and use the restroom and get a drink/snack, etc. I think 5-10 minutes is the standard for most games.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Have they ever mentioned what exactly being "AFK" entails? If being AFK allows you to be kicked from the group then two minutes of people doing literally nothing is reasonable. I've played a quite a few games where disconnecting/intentionally idling assholes can ruin things and the only recourse was to quit the group entirely. On the other hand, if it's a two minute timer and then you get warped back to town then that would be outstandingly dumb.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

I’ll just put this here—

I wouldn’t worry about the AFK thing. There’s going to be so many goddamn goons to group with, we won’t have an issue. With the clan system, discord and our esteemed thread here, I wouldn’t worry about a thing. Go AFK? Message your group and tell them to hold up.

You’ll be railing your own rear end if you pub up.

We’ll make sure the community here is awesome.

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

bear is driving! posted:

A 2 minute AFK timer seems a little harsh. It takes more time than that to get up and use the restroom and get a drink/snack, etc. I think 5-10 minutes is the standard for most games.

Agreed! It's 30 minutes for most MMOs, actually. 2 minutes is insanely laughable. Fallout 76 had a 10 minute timer, and you couldn't do poo poo with that. It was changed to 30 minutes in the following patch.

2 minutes is unheard of, especially for a multiplayer game. I'm not going to suddenly have to shout "Oh poo poo I forgot <insert something here> guys, let me DROP loving GROUP". I don't want to have to worry about this poo poo when I'm trying to play a game, and I happen to have to get up for something, like the pizza delivery guy or answering a phone call. Yeah, they'll be changing that pretty drat quick, I think.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
2 mins or less is reasonable for a FPS like Overwatch but not for the MMO style of longer content they’re going for here.

CupNoodleKing
Feb 17, 2011

2 minutes isn't enough time to do anything. Imagine trying to explain to someone how to run a dungeon or boss mechanics and getting booted by the timer. Or, how about getting a random disconnect/crash and getting booted before getting the chance to log back in.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
with the 2 minute timer I've been practicing taking my poos as quickly and as violently as possible so I don't miss out on any phat loot

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

A real man swaps out his computer chair for the toilet seat. Installs the plumbing right in the game room where it belongs.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Happy New Year guys. Can you believe the demo is this month? Then, the actual release of the game drops next month?

I couldn’t be more excited about what’s to come for this game.

We are going to keep those fingers crossed that this game owns bones and that we can build an inviting, fun community of goons.

I just wanted to say thanks to those following along, offering insight, posting positively and those challenging what’s to come from BioWare with grace. At the end of the day, I think we all agree we believe this has major potential and we are here because we want this to be excellent.

Bring the heat when it’s fit and send the praise where it belongs. Here’s to an awesome 2019 ahead with you all, flying our javelins around Anthem and conquering all the strongholds across all 3 platforms.

Note: Since the demo is officially this month, it’s time to get ready. The discord has been updated for PC, Xbone and PS4. Feel free to start funneling at https://discord.gg/qrG6XsJ

Lastly, I gotta do a major revamp on the OP. I’ll do it justice. I am going to enjoy putting it together. My hype is critical mass.

See you all in game in 24 days!!!!!!!!!!

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Kill All Humans posted:

2 minutes isn't enough time to do anything. Imagine trying to explain to someone how to run a dungeon or boss mechanics and getting booted by the timer. Or, how about getting a random disconnect/crash and getting booted before getting the chance to log back in.

So just move around every so often? No group game I have ever played has people completely motionless when explaining a mechanic.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's probably an extreme overreaction to a problem that plagued Destiny 1 for a while. Basically people were going AFK during dungeons and forcing people to two man them and get the full rewards. Since this is EAs first loot shooter and first MMO in a while, they're probably looking at other games in the genre and getting a little too clever for their own good, in this case.

Luckily people are already loudly expressing that 2 minutes is way too short and they seem to be pretty open to listening to such things, so we'll see what comes of it.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Orv posted:

It's probably an extreme overreaction to a problem that plagued Destiny 1 for a while. Basically people were going AFK during dungeons and forcing people to two man them and get the full rewards. Since this is EAs first loot shooter and first MMO in a while, they're probably looking at other games in the genre and getting a little too clever for their own good, in this case.

Luckily people are already loudly expressing that 2 minutes is way too short and they seem to be pretty open to listening to such things, so we'll see what comes of it.

When peeps did that I just kept on pushing them off the cliff or into mobs. Or start an encounter and just leave.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
I think groups should have an option to kick AFK players at 2-mins, but auto-kicking will just cause frustration considering people will be tabbing out often for Wiki/Discord/Social.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah thinking about this, 2 minutes does suck. I have to assume they’ll change that. Can’t wait to run to the restroom at Usain Bolt speeds to avoid being kicked from a group.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
2 mins is plenty imo. "MMO" is being thrown around a lot, but what I've seen of the game looks way more Destiny 2 than WoW or whatever style 45+ minute dungeons. Maybe the end game stuff will be longer but the mission in the alpha and what they showed on stream took what, 15 or 20 minutes? And getting gud won't make it any slower. And there's matchmaking so just hit the bathroom before queueing up. It'd drive me nuts especially if mobs scale up for more people being in the party if there was say a 5 minute timer and some rude person queues in afk putting everyone down a person for a quarter of the whole run.

Not even gonna talk about how it's gonna work with raids cause they haven't even been announced yet and they could totes put a longer timer or something there.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Tetrabor posted:

I think groups should have an option to kick AFK players at 2-mins, but auto-kicking will just cause frustration considering people will be tabbing out often for Wiki/Discord/Social.

That's kinda the thing. Everyone immediately jumped to the AFK == Autokick conclusion. It may/may not be true, but it sounds like a pretty obvious issue that would quickly come up in playtesting.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Monolith. posted:

So just move around every so often? No group game I have ever played has people completely motionless when explaining a mechanic.

Yeah, an AFK timer is a timer for how long someone has been sending zero inputs to the game. No typing, no mouse movement, nothing.

2 minutes is still ludicrously short, though.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
People fussing about AFK timers and post release content, I still want to know if they’re addressing the awful mouse controls. I want to like the game but that’s a deal breaker.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

AirRaid posted:

People fussing about AFK timers and post release content, I still want to know if they’re addressing the awful mouse controls. I want to like the game but that’s a deal breaker.

Yeh lookin forward to some trip reports on that from you early demoers, wanna play this game but don't wanna have to bust out a circa 1996 50dpi mouse.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Broseph my good friend, get back in discord where you belong my fellow marvel goon lover.

We have a lot of gaming to talk about—this one in particular.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If the AFK thing even is a problem they have like 3 demos before release to hear it and change it

Skull Knight
Aug 2, 2013

Sexy bad choices
Lipstick Apathy

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Already read it all but yeah, keeping the spoilers away.

Some pretty cool stuff though.

All I’m gonna say: Big Poppa Pump

Any chance you could post a link to those that are interested? I tried looking quickly but trying to find stuff on reddit post-new year's right now is pretty :smith: ....

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Hey, do we know anything about the post launch content plans for the game? Is there a season pass for more story/mission content or something?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Skull Knight posted:

Any chance you could post a link to those that are interested? I tried looking quickly but trying to find stuff on reddit post-new year's right now is pretty :smith: ....

Here's one: https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGame/comments/aapeu8/megathread_alpha_datamine_leak_discussion/

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Sion posted:

Hey, do we know anything about the post launch content plans for the game? Is there a season pass for more story/mission content or something?

None. But we do know there is no season pass. You buy once you own it all.

Only other transactions could come from cosmetics and if they release more javelins.

Skull Knight posted:

Let me find it!

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
in what ways are mouse controls busted/bad?

I'm cautiously interested in this here game but the controls need to be tight or I'll just get frustrated

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Skull Knight posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGame/comments/aapeu8/megathread_alpha_datamine_leak_discussion/?st=JQFIYLOS&sh=88e3470f

This is all that’s left.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Martout posted:

I'm cautiously interested in this here game but the controls need to be tight or I'll just get frustrated

It's being developed Electronic Arts style: consoles first, PC second.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah I would say right now controller feels great as of alpha. The keyboard and mouse, especially with flight felt really weird to me.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Martout posted:

Setting in game sens of 0 was still a little too high for me, and flight was tough to control like your mouse was controlling a badly calibrated virtual joystick.

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Broseph my good friend, get back in discord where you belong my fellow marvel goon lover.

We have a lot of gaming to talk about—this one in particular.

Yahhh bruh! I'll deffo be in there by closer to release.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

teh_Broseph posted:

Setting in game sens of 0 was still a little too high for me, and flight was tough to control like your mouse was controlling a badly calibrated virtual joystick.

It wasn't just "like" a virtual joystick, there was a literal visual virtual joystick on the UI.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

4 “new” pieces of info I just read from Ben Irvo tweets:

0) To avoid an edit, whatever: Lvl 30 is MAX level at launch. Level cap will raise over time and has been confirmed via Ben Irvo.

1) Inspect won’t be in at launch. They want to add it in post-launch. Bummer.

2) Destiny players rejoice: For those who did play, remember how you were locked into certain guns in certain slots? That isn’t the case here. If you want to roll two snipers, you can. Two heavy explosive weapons? You can. This is good.

3) Somebody asked in discord recently, so I’ll clarify...ahem, no text chat IN GAME. At all. Their reasoning are those new parameters in effect as of 1/1/19, which I’ll just let this article showcase: https://www.engadget.com/amp/2017/12/28/fcc-extends-waiver-for-video-game-accessibility-for-the-last-tim/

I hate, hate, hate not having text chat at all, and I bet we will see, much like Destiny 2, where clan chat gets added in at a later date due to community outcry.

I’ll manage and it won’t deter me at all but it’s a bummer. Discord and voice chat is going to be important here.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I really don't play games with anyone but friends irl so the lack of chat text is whatever other than the fact its another step of consolization which sucks rear end.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hopefully the game flow will be clear enough that you want to constantly talk to your teammates.

I play a ton of Warframe and there is a narrator (The Lotus) that updates you on what you need to do at each stage.

I've never been confused on what to do in that game and never feel like I HAVE to talk to my pub teamates.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
No text chat means I won't get to actually communicate with anyone in this MP game

which is like

extremmmmmely dumb

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Collapsing Farts posted:

No text chat means I won't get to actually communicate with anyone in this MP game

which is like

extremmmmmely dumb

Yup. My sinking feeling about this game grows. I don't want to voice chat with 99% of MMO players.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
there's next to no reason to want to talk to a random video game pub in general, the medium isn't really relevant.

like it's dumb but it's not like I really give a gently caress about whatever Reddit poster winds up in my lobby wants to say.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

The part that is really confusing is that this is advertised heavily as a multiplayer game. This is absolutely not a game for solo players. Yes, you can play solo but you will be gimping yourself.

I sent a message to Mark Darrah about 8 months ago and implored that we need clan chat at the very least, but in-game chat is important to building staying power for the game. Bah.

It’s kinda like this: Diablo 3 is a bit lonely TO ME if I don’t have chat going on. Destiny 2, which I personally love to this day, was rough at launch with no chat at all. I would hope two games that this is heavily influenced by would have been enough to help them not make the same mistake.

Lack of game chat isn’t good at the end of the day. Whether you use it or not, we have a lot of team features here this game is centered around and it seems like a no-brainer there should at least be the ability to talk to your Stronghold team, or maybe your clan. We get none of that.

There’s the white knighters who say this isn’t an issue on Reddit, but mark my words, they’ll change their tune about a month into launch.

For gods sake Mr. BioWare, what if I have a cold and I am hoarse that day and want to play with my friends shiiiiiet!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Console supremacy shows itself once again :smuggo: