Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Just finished New Years Evil and yea its a lot of fun as a slasher but also as a bonus it's pretty drat good looking too. It helps that the transfer on Prime is really good quality. Good characters, fun and interesting setting with the live t.v. show taping, and a solid performance by the killer. He's a pretty scary guy but also gets a ton of screen time, which is rare for a slasher. The New Years themed horror subgenre seems very thin so I'll probably be watching this again in future years.

Yeah, it was a pleasant surprise for me last year. It's a standout for holiday-named slashers, while not Black Christmas, Christmas Evil or Halloween, it belongs next to April Fool's Day.

In fact, I'm putting that bad boy on right now while I wait for friends to arrive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

New Year’s Evil really does feel like it captured an exact moment of the exact year it was filmed perfectly. I don’t know if it’s the cinematography, music, performances, or all of it blending together, but it hits on a very unique vibe of the 80’s I haven’t seen in many other movies.

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I would have never watched Ginger Snaps without this thread's recommendation.Thanks, it was a pretty good werewolf movie.

Watched The Endless last night and also thought it was good.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

ReapersTouch posted:

I would have never watched Ginger Snaps without this thread's recommendation.Thanks, it was a pretty good werewolf movie.

All three of the Ginger Snaps movies are actually pretty good.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ReapersTouch posted:

The Endless was great! I actually put it on my favorite movies of 2018 list.

I had no idea it was a spiritual sequel to Resolution because I'd never seen Resolution and had probably never heard anything about it outside of this thread's ancestor (and didn't remember what I'd heard about it there), so it wasn't exactly on my radar. After watching The Endless, I watched Resolution about a week later and that was great too! Although I didn't feel like I had missed a ton watching The Endless first. The two movies share a lot in common, yeah, but I think they can be watched independently of one another and not suffer as a result of not seeing the other one.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Endless doesn't lose anything by you not seeing Resolution, you just get a couple of extra kicks out of it if you recognize the parallels. But it seems like watching Resolution after Endless would kind of sport that movie a bit. I mean, Resolution is really more about the journey than the destination so it wouldn't do it entirely. But you do basically learn exactly how the movie ends in Endless.

Also if you like those movies I'd recommend Spring from the same filmmakers. Very thematically similar. Discovering Moorehead and Benson was one of my favorite things of the October marathon and I look forward to whatever they do next.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Spring is such an obvious fantasy, but it's an obvious fantasy that speaks to me quite a bit so I really enjoyed it. :v:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, its really a fantasy romance but its got some really well done body horror and like Endless and Resolution its basically about the filmmaker's ability to write two characters going through something together (and put them in an absolutely gorgeous film that flows with the body horror).

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 1, 2019

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Almost Blue posted:

Well, there's always Phantom Carriage.

Seconding The Phantom Carriage. It's the perfect New Year's Eve film.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So... that makes it a horror film? I mean, that's what Get Out and Tales from the Hood are about and they're horror films. Much like Bird Box.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Horror films with social messages? Whatever will they think of next?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

STAC Goat posted:

I think Endless doesn't lose anything by you not seeing Resolution, you just get a couple of extra kicks out of it if you recognize the parallels. But it seems like watching Resolution after Endless would kind of sport that movie a bit. I mean, Resolution is really more about the journey than the destination so it wouldn't do it entirely. But you do basically learn exactly how the movie ends in Endless.

Also if you like those movies I'd recommend Spring from the same filmmakers. Very thematically similar. Discovering Moorehead and Benson was one of my favorite things of the October marathon and I look forward to whatever they do next.
Eh, I still thought Resolution was a well-made, solid movie despite knowing ahead of time kind of what was going on in that universe :shobon: And a lot of that journey isn't shown in The Endless, only part of it.

I'll check it out! Before seeing Endless, all I had seen from them was the Bonestorm segment of V/H/S Viral.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, like I said while you might get the ending of Resolution spoiled for you the film really is about the two characters and their whole ordeal. So yeah, it doesn't ruin it. I guess I was just kind of working that out in my own head.

You SHOULD watch Resolution before Endless if you intend to watch both. You don't have to watch Resolution before Endless if you're not sure and just want to see Endless. Endless is probably the better film so, yeah, do whatever you feel I guess. I'm here all the time for insightful and worthwhile contributions like this.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

christ that bird box article was worse than the movie

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

quote:

For instance, John Boyega plays Nat Turner in the Star Wars reboot, The Force Awakens. He’s a slave (Stormtrooper) who leads a rebellion that eventually destroys the plantation (The Death Star) and defeats the slavemaster (Kylo Ren).

Uhhhhhhhh :yikes:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

If Bird Box is a slam dunk bad movie, then comparing a storm trooper to Nat Turner is a Chaos Dunk.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It's not a horror movie but if you're not going anything tomorrow it's a perfect time to watch 2019: After the Fall of New York:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pksZ3_RdAEc

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Lurdiak posted:

There's also an American Psycho 2 and it is the worst.

Like how dare you even try that lol.

It's terrible, but I love it for having the same production quality as Phantasmagoria 2: A Puzzle of Flesh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jdhmd6Vr-8&t=95s

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I made that thread about catching up on classic horror movies we still haven't seen cuz no one else did.

Check it out and PM me classic horror movies you haven't seen or movies you feel are absolutely essential viewing.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'm trying to watch as much slow burn stuff as I can get my hands on right now. I'm not big on gore or (unearned) jump scares, but I like a movie that either sets a mood or ramps up the intensity. Lake Mungo is probably one of my favorite, but I watched Savageland today which was pretty brilliant considering how so much of it was told through still photographs. I finally got around to The Invitation as well and I thought that was just a fantastic film from start to finish. I love the documentary style film so what else should I look for? I've seen Hell House LLC recently too which was just fantastic. I'm pretty late to the party on a lot of these movies so any suggestions would be awesome.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Make sure you add Kill List and Mandy to your slow burn watching

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Anonymous 616 is on Prime and I urge everyone to see the most bonkers movie I've seen in a while. The acting is hilariously bad, the plot is outstandingly insane and it has one of the most jaw dropping genre hard shifts I've EVER seen in a movie before.

The entire movie is this, honestly, gross and dark and very violent horror movie with some really loving disturbing undertones and then suddenly in literally the last 3 minutes BOOM IT'S A RELIGIOUS FILM! Holy moly
'

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'm saying it everywhere, but Unsane is really good.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Franchescanado posted:

I'm saying it everywhere, but Unsane is really good.
:yeah:

It made my favorite movies of the year list. I saw it in theaters, loved it and rewatched it a week or two ago. It's still great! The whole part about it being shot all on an iPhone is just an extra reason it's so cool, not the main focus of it. I've seen Claire Foy in a few other movies and I think this is the only one I've really enjoyed her in.

It's on Prime, so you should definitely check it out if you have that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Windows 98 posted:

Make sure you add Kill List and Mandy to your slow burn watching

Kill List is no burn, not slow burn.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Kill List is one of the best slow burn British horror movies in like the last 15 years.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Panos Cosmatos first film Beyond The Black Rainbow also is a slow burn and a good movie. The ending is.... something.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Kill List is one of the best slow burn British horror movies in like the last 15 years.

Kill List is Ken Loach's The Wicker Man and Ben Wheatley is the most massively overrated horror director of the last 15 years.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Windows 98 posted:

Panos Cosmatos first film Beyond The Black Rainbow also is a slow burn and a good movie. The ending is.... something.

Now this one, I disagree with. I hated it. But I loved Mandy. Black Rainbow felt like it spent more time on setpieces than it did on script, to its own detriment. Like, it's TOO slow for its own good despite the fantastic aesthetic.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Huge thanks to whomever recommended that Supercontext podcast. I'm really digging the Lake Mungo episode and it made me interested enough to checkout Nameless which im also pretty happy with.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House also is a good slow burn. Saw it when Lurdiak was doing some sort of stream thing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Unsane does indeed own.

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Huge thanks to whomever recommended that Supercontext podcast. I'm really digging the Lake Mungo episode and it made me interested enough to checkout Nameless which im also pretty happy with.

I think Nameless is whatever became of Morrison's unmade film script, Sinatoro.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Unsane does indeed own.

Yeah this was one of my fav recent horror movies. The way it was shot on an iphone gives it this freaky claustrophobic feeling

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Unsane does indeed own.

I think Nameless is whatever became of Morrison's unmade film script, Sinatoro.

its pretty loose and abstract in a way i havent really seen in a comic before (i dont read comics really so dont effing @ me). The art is cool.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

The most annoying thing about shooting video on an iPhone is that when you pop the camera from Photo to Video it zooms in a little bit. God that's annoying. Kudos to the people who dealt with that bullshit loving up their framing.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

Yeah this was one of my fav recent horror movies. The way it was shot on an iphone gives it this freaky claustrophobic feeling

i watched this movie at someone's house who I couldnt yell at for having motion-smoothing on and it ruined the film for me. im waiting for enough time to pass so I can revisit it anew.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jedit posted:

Kill List is Ken Loach's The Wicker Man and Ben Wheatley is the most massively overrated horror director of the last 15 years.

I had no idea of who Ben Wheatley is even thought I've seen and enjoyed Kill List, so I looked him up. Not sure how he fits the criteria of "most massively overrated horror director" when he's only made 3 (and part of ABCs of Death) horror films that almost no one has heard of. Sightseers isn't great and I'm not sure if anyone would consider it to be.

I never heard of A Field in England but I guess I'll give it a go.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

i watched this movie at someone's house who I couldnt yell at for having motion-smoothing on and it ruined the film for me. im waiting for enough time to pass so I can revisit it anew.

as someone with motion sickness motion-smoothing is gods gift to mankind

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kvlt! posted:

as someone with motion sickness motion-smoothing is gods gift to mankind

I'm glad that it alleviates your motion sickness but motion smoothing is the ugliest thing I've ever witnessed for watching shows and films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

s.i.r.e. posted:

I had no idea of who Ben Wheatley is even thought I've seen and enjoyed Kill List, so I looked him up. Not sure how he fits the criteria of "most massively overrated horror director" when he's only made 3 (and part of ABCs of Death) horror films that almost no one has heard of. Sightseers isn't great and I'm not sure if anyone would consider it to be.

I never heard of A Field in England but I guess I'll give it a go.

High Rise is also horror. And here in the UK movie magazines can't stop slobbering over him despite the fact he can make a drug-fuelled riot look boring. (They loved Sightseers too, BTW.)